An Old Lady's Poem, Anonymous

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I found this website above and I wanted to share the poem with you. It speaks of simple truths.

When I hear of elderly abuse and neglect in the news, I do not understand it. If all the caregivers would remember for a moment that one day, if they live long enough, they will be old too. What kind of care would they want to have? It's just so incrediblely simple to me. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

Post by Odie »

my mom is in a home with Dementia/Alzheimer's, I wonder if she thinks that way.:-1

I'm thank full they take such good care of her for me.:(

I no longer believe she should be living the way she is, she has no life, she has no drive, she sits there day after day starring ..

if only I could take her out of her misery, if only........
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

I found that website while doing some research. I was contemplating writing a short story for my "My Name is Peridot" thread. It was to be about an elderly lady living in a nursing home. My brief experience as a visitor to such places was also going to be used. The sounds, the odors, the pictures taped on the walls, the people silently sitting or laying on their beds' But, when I read this lady's poem, I was humbled.
spot

Post by spot »

along-for-the-ride;1307677 wrote: when I read this lady's poem, I was humbled.

One wonders what the "old lady" was doing in a "geriatric ward of a small hospital near Dundee" in the first place if her mind was sharp enough to pen the poem while there. Or is there no oddity about being able to construct and write down the poem while describing herself within her own verses as "Uncertain of habit, with faraway eyes? Who dribbles her food and makes no reply"?

When I read "this lady's" poem, every bullshit alarm rings loudly. I take no exception to the verse, merely to the frame in which "the nurses were going through her meager possessions". What utter unmitigated cobblers. The frame is a blatant tissue of lies and should be challenged as such.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

I don't care if she wrote it or not. :-2

This poem speaks, autobiographically or not, about someone's life. Some of the elderly suffer such neglect and abuse at the hands of their families or caregivers. THAT IS a reality for so many elderly folks.

My mother wasn't very lucid before her death either and she wrote a few poems that some could say, " But she wasn't well enough to write that" BUllcrap!. Writing is different than talking. Some people express themselves with more clarity in "ink" or a pencil.

The content of the poem deserves so much attention.
spot

Post by spot »

Amythest;1307705 wrote: The content of the poem deserves so much attention.The content of the poem may well deserve attention, I make no claims for that one way or the other. The content of the frame is a vile lie, its author should be utterly ashamed of constructing it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Truth seems to take a back seat to maudlin sentimentality then.

The original poem was written by a man in his mid-thirties. His name is David L Griffith. What he himself wrote is on Too Soon Old if anyone's at all interested in accuracy. To quote his own words, "There is even a copy floating with an 'old lady' rather than an 'old man' so go figure...". The frame text, "this little old Scottish lady, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this simple, yet eloquent, poem traveling the world by Internet", deserves howling abuse thrown at it. The unauthorized revision is sticky schmaltz compared to the robust original text. How can anyone be so morally and artistically slack as to not care?
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Spot. Thanks for the corrections but NO THANX for the harsh words.

I don't support or condone plagerism. Excuse me if I'm not familiar with this poem OR overly skeptical to the point I type the first paragraph of everything i see, Google the source, and search the web.

Excuse ME if i choose to let some things go, choosing instead to look at the intentions of people.

Elderly neglect is the subject and the poem was posted to illustrate the feelings of an elderly person.

The intentions of the OP in this thread aren't the same as the person who plagerized that poem.
spot

Post by spot »

Amythest;1307729 wrote: The intentions of the OP in this thread aren't the same as the person who plagerized that poem.

You'd be hard put to find any words in my posts that criticize the OP. I note in passing that "Truth seems to take a back seat to maudlin sentimentality" was written in response to something by Kathy Ellen which has since been deleted, not to anything you wrote. If you're "not familiar with this poem" you could at least take note when I speak from a better informed position instead of blithely ignoring my justified points. "I don't care if she wrote it or not" seems at odds with "I don't support or condone plagerism", too.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1307724 wrote: Truth seems to take a back seat to maudlin sentimentality then.

The original poem was written by a man in his mid-thirties. His name is David L Griffith. What he himself wrote is on Too Soon Old if anyone's at all interested in accuracy. To quote his own words, "There is even a copy floating with an 'old lady' rather than an 'old man' so go figure...". The frame text, "this little old Scottish lady, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this simple, yet eloquent, poem traveling the world by Internet", deserves howling abuse thrown at it. The unauthorized revision is sticky schmaltz compared to the robust original text. How can anyone be so morally and artistically slack as to not care?

The original is indeed far better literature in my opinion. How sad that someone can take that and use it for their own ends on a 'care site'. Who knows for sure if someone with dementia could write that, I'd guess not, but I don't have first hand experience of dementia.

Look at Odie's response though, wondering whether her mum could be thinking just like that, it does seem rather cruel to then envisage this person trapped childlike with someone else claiming that they could actually have these coherent moments to produce that poem. I see it as cruelly playing on the emotions of those closest to those suffering with dementia. The stolen poem is one individual's take on how it must feel to have dementia, I don't believe for one minute it's actually the reality.

AFTR, I'm sure if you'd known the origins of this poem it wouldn't have stirred you in quite the same way? It was actually written by a relatively young man and re-arranged for some reason. It would be interesting to know who took it and why, did they get permission or approval? I know that as a literature student I would be upset and angry if someone stole my work and re-arranged it and paraded it as something entirely different.
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

spot;1307730 wrote: You'd be hard put to find any words in my posts that criticize the OP. I note in passing that "Truth seems to take a back seat to maudlin sentimentality" was written in response to something by Kathy Ellen which has since been deleted, not to anything you wrote. If you're "not familiar with this poem" you could at least take note when I speak from a better informed position instead of blithely ignoring my justified points. "I don't care if she wrote it or not" seems at odds with "I don't support or condone plagerism", too.

That's right! I care about the reason for this thread more. Out of respect for the OP. i didn't focus on your post.

...and i did see Kathy Allens post in the email notification.

How dare you respond to her post the way you did. ( Maudlin Sentimentality) She spoke about her experience with her aged Mother with alzhiemers.

What is your problem!? Can't people speak from the heart here? They reveal something painful or personal and your respeoinse is demeaning?

You could of found a more respectful kinder way to point out the plagerism, but no, your post reeks of arrogance and insults peoples intelligence. You write as though the oversight was intentional.

I doubt AFTR knew the poem was plagerized.

Your point was made. I hope you feel better.:rolleyes:
spot

Post by spot »

Amythest;1307733 wrote: You could of found a more respectful kinder way to point out the plagerism, but no, your post reeks of arrogance and insults peoples intelligence. You write as though the oversight was intentional.

If people displayed signs of intelligence I'd scarcely be in a position to insult them, would I.

Sentiment has a perfectly valid place in poetry. What I've criticized consistently in this thread is the deliberate construction of the frame which turned the original poem into a complete lie. From a position of internal reflection, the first-person meditation has been illegitimately transformed into an externalized voice capable of informed expression. The sentiment of the original has been perverted into something for grieving relatives to hang unwarranted hopes or fears on. The original is bounded by real life, the frame forces the verses into a fantasy land their originals never occupied. The change was surely deliberate, knowing and despicable. You're directing your anger in entirely the wrong direction in picking on me instead of bothering to think.
Odie

Post by Odie »

how can anyone possbily know how the in-coherent elderly think?

no one does unless they can tell you?

my mom cannot tell me whether she can even think or not?

She is given 2 choices of meals, 3 times a day as Alzheimer's patients have no idea what is written on the menu or even what it is.

It may say roast beef, mashed potatoes and peas.

my mom no longer even knows what she is reading nor can she read.

They are shown both meals and told what they are, my mom points to whatever meal she wants....usually she just nods.

As I was there for lunch with her last week, she had no idea I was even there.:(

She would just glance at the food and nod.........

how sad it is my mom not knowing anything anymore.

If only I could take her away from all of this ever so confusing world that has become her life.

I am thank full to her head nurse and all of her caregivers, doctors, dentists and everyone that has helped her so much over the years, others are not so lucky, some folks abuse the elderly and toss them around as if they are garbage....heaven help the day when they cannot speak for themselves.
Life is just to short for drama.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I'm glad I read Kathy's post!!! That, if nothing else, made this thread worthwhile. As a student I worked in a nursing home, in my long vacation, and it's good to be reminded about the situation of some old people, no matter how it's done, or whatever agendas some people have. I was profoundly shocked by my experience.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Agenda? That surely should be not to mis-represent dementia.

I worked in an old peoples home for six months after I left school, I was horrified by what I saw happening and complained loudly. I was employed by the local YTS at the time and they very quickly shifted me into an office job before I said too much. I remember being 16 and very annoyed to the point that I nearly went to the local paper about the appalling treatment given out by some of the registered nurses. That said some of the nurses there were wonderful too.

I don't think for one minute any of the thread is not 'worthwhile', I can empathise with the elderly and the shoddy treatment some of them receive.

I can also be angered at the mis-representation of the copied poem masquerading to be the thoughts of a person with dementia :(
along-for-the-ride

I feel I must comment here. The word "plagairism" never entered my mind as I began this thread. That poem was written by "anonymous". What spoke to me were the simple thoughts and feelings expressed.

A truth is that elderly abuse and neglect in nursing facilities does exist, and this truth is a tragedy.

Maybe it is because I am a woman that I do not tend to analyze posts so much. If words written touch me in some way, they just do.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

along-for-the-ride;1307932 wrote: I feel I must comment here. The word "plagairism" never entered my mind as I began this thread. That poem was written by "anonymous". What spoke to me were the simple thoughts and feelings expressed.

A truth is that elderly abuse and neglect in nursing facilities does exist, and this truth is a tragedy.

Maybe it is because I am a woman that I do not tend to analyze posts so much. If words written touch me in some way, they just do.Good post!:)

Ya can't really fault people who do see it from a different angle and voice what jumps out at them. Spot has a keen eye for that sort of thing and its worth paying attention to his observations. Others can learn from them.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Social Human Rights”