The Liberal Heart at Peace

QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

U.S. liberals have an aura of helping the underdog, the “working” family, righting wrongs and a general concern for the welfare of the masses. Those are goals hard to argue with to be sure. But it’s not the what, it’s the how in achieving these goals that matters. :-2

Thinking on this for a moment I recall several social strategies with worthy goals that seem to have backfired and one has to wonder why,

The system has been manipulated to:

 Allow lower income and some minority groups to obtain credit and buy homes they could not and cannot afford

 Children who fail to learn are socially promoted to the next grade just to get them through the system

 Students unqualified for college work are allowed into college

 Widespread government-run gambling is substituted for honest budget and tax management

No doubt there are many other examples. So what is the point, the point is simply that treating a symptom is not finding a cure and that short-sighted “solutions” to problems that are no solution will create larger problems down the road. Every one of the above examples has long term implications, create disappointment and disenfranchisement and in many ways rather than solve a problem, make it worse. What value is there in having a child graduate high school functionally illiterate, or for a family with a home they cannot afford, or a student accepted to a college unable to do any advanced study?

This is not progress; it is manipulation of people so other people can feel good. Tough love has its place. I remember when I was a kid seeing the black people in our town who otherwise had very little riding around in a Cadillac. We couldn’t afford a Cadillac, how could they? We even had a rather crude and definitely not politically correct name for such cars. Then you would see the condition of these cars rapidly deteriorate because there was no money to maintain or repair them, but they had the status of driving a Cadillac. :-3

It was years later that I figured out that it is not in the having that matters, but the ability to have. It’s like cheating in school, sure you passed the test and even graduated and then what, a rather hollow victory it seems, you beat the system and screwed yourself in the process. Who was the second President of the US again?

When I was eighteen, I vowed I would own a Mercedes someday; my father was a car salesman and sold these cars. About ten years ago when my youngest child was about to graduate college I went out and leased a car at the low end of the Mercedes line. I drove to his graduation in the car and was riding on cloud nine all the while. Then it hit me. Not only was it not such a big deal, but I too was fooling myself, what did leasing accomplish? I still couldn’t afford to buy the car. I had not reached my goal after all. :driving:

So, if a person gets into college because some government program lowers standards or sets quotas, did that person achieve his or her goal or are they cheating themselves as well? If the system allows me to buy a house I struggle to make payments on each month with no hope of succeeding and no money left for insurance or clothing or even much food, who is kidding who?

But the liberal heart is at peace. Today I could buy that Mercedes, but I haven’t. It turns out there really are far more important things in life than stuff to show off…as much of America is finding out. :rolleyes:

Posted in my blog as well.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

False economies is the term that springs to mind, Quinn.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

OpenMind;1103464 wrote: False economies is the term that springs to mind, Quinn.

That's another way to put it, your'e right.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Jester;1103992 wrote: Quinn this stuff kills me and I agree with you 100%

It's manipulation, situational ethics, and there's no long term principle that you can live by, only short term solutions that end up creating more problems than its worth. Are we only intelligent enough to look in the short term and not afar off down the road?

Where did the American dream go wrong? Somehow it changed from work hard today get ahead tomorrow- to borrow it and pay the 'man' all your life. What we thought we were going to make available to everyone by borrowing has actually enslaved the majority of the US population.

The liberal heart has the wrong idea and its the chief cause of our economic destruction.

You have nailed the essence of the problem, no long term thinking only quick solutions that make people feel good for the immediate future (or should I say between now and the next election). But you can't only blame politicians, big companies only see to the next quarterly earnings report or at best the next years earnings and their decisions are largely driven to that objective.

Quinnscommentary

Quinnscommentary Blog
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Hmm that's something to think about. I am working hard now and learning to appreciate any help my parent's give me but i'm trying to earn my own successes in life... ha Conservative at heart am i.
Smoke signals ftw!

Return to “Social Human Rights”