So Sad

Accountable

So Sad

Post by Accountable »

It must be terrible to let others' assessments sour your own accomplishments.

Michelle, Meritocracy and Me
flopstock

So Sad

Post by flopstock »

here's my first problem with this..

A New York Times/CBS News poll last week reported that 64 percent of blacks think that whites have a better chance of getting ahead in today's America. It's a painful lesson, especially for us blacks who chose majority-white universities as the means to achieving professional success.

Why is there no interest in what whites think? What is the percentage of whites that think blacks have a better chance of getting ahead in today's America? :thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Accountable

So Sad

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;924238 wrote: here's my first problem with this..

Why is there no interest in what whites think? What is the percentage of whites that think blacks have a better chance of getting ahead in today's America? :thinking:
I'm not sure that the idea that a black person has a better chance of getting ahead holds a white person back from trying. I think there is alot of evidence that some members of ethnic minorities who accept their color-coded labels, especially black & hispanic, perceive that whites have it better and use it as an excuse not to try.
flopstock

So Sad

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;924404 wrote: I'm not sure that the idea that a black person has a better chance of getting ahead holds a white person back from trying. I think there is alot of evidence that some members of ethnic minorities who accept their color-coded labels, especially black & hispanic, perceive that whites have it better and use it as an excuse not to try.

I agree, it does seem like that... but could it just be that we make assumptions about whites because we've never bothered to ask? Or that the self doubt isn't there among whites because no one else ever raises that doubt as a possibility, like we do with minorities?

Do we plant the seed of self doubt simply by asking the questions:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

mrsK

So Sad

Post by mrsK »

Accountable;924404 wrote: I'm not sure that the idea that a black person has a better chance of getting ahead holds a white person back from trying. I think there is alot of evidence that some members of ethnic minorities who accept their color-coded labels, especially black & hispanic, perceive that whites have it better and use it as an excuse not to try.

I think you are right.

I have mixed blood but not so that it really stands out.Skin colour etc.

I have never been of the mind set that I am better or worse of than any other person.

I have it better now, because I worked my butt of when I was younger :wah: throwing sheep & lambs around the yards,working in the shearing sheds & we have taught our children the same. Hard work pays of in the long run.

Most of the coloured population here are just as well of as the white families.

It's good to see.:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Accountable

So Sad

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;924624 wrote: I agree, it does seem like that... but could it just be that we make assumptions about whites because we've never bothered to ask? Or that the self doubt isn't there among whites because no one else ever raises that doubt as a possibility, like we do with minorities?

Do we plant the seed of self doubt simply by asking the questions:thinking:
That's it, I think. I know I get suspicious when someone asks me questions without an obvious reason. "Do you feel the boss will treat you fairly at evaluation time?" "I guess so. Why?" "No reason." Instantly my mind goes negative and it could affect my performance or attitude toward the boss. No reason the same can't happen on a macro scale.
Accountable

So Sad

Post by Accountable »

mrsK;924636 wrote: I think you are right.

I have mixed blood but not so that it really stands out.Skin colour etc.

I have never been of the mind set that I am better or worse of than any other person.

I have it better now, because I worked my butt of when I was younger :wah: throwing sheep & lambs around the yards,working in the shearing sheds & we have taught our children the same. Hard work pays of in the long run.

Most of the coloured population here are just as well of as the white families.

It's good to see.:-6
Yeh, it's nice when hard work pays off like hard work should. :)

Return to “Social Human Rights”