Does this man have any 'Rights' ??

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe begins legal action to win freedom.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... l&offset=0
spot

Post by spot »

The tariff he's seeking to have confirmed is the earliest date at which a parole hearing would be held, assuming he can be certified out of the secure psychiatric system and re-enter the prison system. One doubts somehow that a parole hearing is likely to conclude that he's no longer any more of a danger to the public than the average citizen but, who knows, perhaps he isn't. That's the test, anyway, along with an acknowledgement of guilt and an expression of penitence. As far as I understand it all three have to be met, and while you might discount the others the potential danger to the public is what I'd expect him to fail on.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;865717 wrote: Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe begins legal action to win freedom.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... l&offset=0

No!

He showed no remorse at the time and feels none now.
spot

Post by spot »

If the parole board feels as Bryn does then he'd fail on that as well and his release would be refused.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I would imagine the 'public outcry' would be huge too!!

Who is footing the bill for these appeals?

Wonder where its cheaper to keep him, psychiatric hospital or prison?

(Can you tell I'm too tired to do my own research tonight, any info gratefully received I have to start a 2000 word essay on Human Rights this week and all this is hugely relevant ;):wah:)
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I hope he doesn't convince any parole board that he is now fit to re-enter society but

that will depend who sits on the board !

My brother is a prison guard. He sees the most disturbing things and surprising sentencing and parole hearing results. Recently 4 men convicted of murder were bought in.

They had attacked a man in a park, a total stranger for no reason, they had kicked and punched him until he lay helpless and then stabbed him 15 times. They walked away and left him to die.

These men are not considered category A prisoners.

There are four security categories for adult male prisoners: A, B, C, and D. Category A is for prisoners whose escape would be considered highly dangerous to the public, or a threat to national security.

Category B is for prisoners for whom escape must be made very difficult.

Category C applies to prisoners who cannot be trusted in open conditions. Category D prisoners can be reasonably trusted in open conditions. Un-convicted adult prisoners (commonly referred to as Remand prisoners) will generally be treated as Category B prisoners.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

My opinion is No.......he lost them when he murdered thirteen women and attacked another 7.

The first known assault by Sutcliffe was in Keighley on the night of 5 July 1975. He attacked Anna Rogulskyj (aged 36), who was walking alone, striking her unconscious with a ball-pein hammer and slashing her stomach with a knife. Disturbed by a neighbour, he left without killing her. Anna Rogulskyj survived after extensive medical attention. Later she would meet Sutcliffe's father, encouraging him to probe his fingers into the two indentations that still remain in the back of her head. All his other attacks were just as brutal, using hammers and knives.

When he killed Irene Richardson (aged 28), another Chapeltown prostitute, in Roundhay Park, her blugeoned her to death with a hammer. Once she was dead, he mutilated her corpse with a knife. He is a sick sick man and should never be released back into society.
gmc

Post by gmc »

He's got the same rights as anybody else that gets arrested. That he has asked for early release does not mean he will get it. I would say the odds are nil to zero.

It's not about his rights it's actually about yours and everybody elses.

Who knows, maybe some day you will be arrested and accused of a heinous crime you didn't commit and you will appreciate getting a fair trial and having the right to appeal.
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;865752 wrote: I would imagine the 'public outcry' would be huge too!!

Who is footing the bill for these appeals?

Wonder where its cheaper to keep him, psychiatric hospital or prison?

(Can you tell I'm too tired to do my own research tonight, any info gratefully received I have to start a 2000 word essay on Human Rights this week and all this is hugely relevant ;):wah:)The bill for the appeal is paid for from public funds. The appeal has no practical consequence on whether the man's released or not, it's not for his benefit. It's one of the ways available to the law to discover and clarify what the law currently says in obscure areas which have arisen between different elements of legislation. It allows the right people to come together on a given day and make a statement about what the law is. It seems perfectly reasonable that such a meeting should be paid for from public funds.

A simplified question of which costs more would be to add up the total cost of the prison service and the long-term criminal psychiatric facility, divide by the number of prisoners held, decide whether to adjust for the average time each prisoner spends there or not, and compare the two. There much be an indefinite number of ways of comparing the systems economically. Getting the raw statistics out of government would probably take a direct question in the House put by your MP but I'm only guessing.

Return to “Social Human Rights”