Global Food and Consumption

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzy butt;836390 wrote: this is a very interesting discussion

and this

As you say, fascinating subject. I'll try to get back to this when I'm not rushing off to work.
spot

Post by spot »

I don't believe it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;932872 wrote: Well that's what they reckon. sorry i'm listening to BBC ABC world news on the radio and that's what they said.

The reason apparently is that we arent' feeding everyone. Only a minority of the worlds population is being fed on a regular basis.

What does "being fed" mean?

People who don't get enough food die. Fewer do that than used to. The remainder eat enough food to live. Whether what they eat constitutes distinct meals or "being fed", or whether "being fed" means being given food rather than buying it, I can't guess. Everyone who doesn't die of starvation is eating, though. That's plain logic.

If I had to guess, wildly, there's enough food in existence to keep everyone eating the way they ate today for another month. Maybe possibly two but I doubt it. It's primarily the food in the delivery chain. If it were just seven meals it would mean the delivery chain was only seven meals from cutting the crop to serving on a plate and that's way way too short a time as a world average.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;932906 wrote: "Being fed" feeding every single person to a healthy dietary standard needed for top human heatlh and longevity,If we did that, the US would have so much surplus it had stopped forcing down its own throat that the problem would be eased considerably.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;932878 wrote: What does "being fed" mean?

People who don't get enough food die. Fewer do that than used to. The remainder eat enough food to live. Whether what they eat constitutes distinct meals or "being fed", or whether "being fed" means being given food rather than buying it, I can't guess. Everyone who doesn't die of starvation is eating, though. That's plain logic.

If I had to guess, wildly, there's enough food in existence to keep everyone eating the way they ate today for another month. Maybe possibly two but I doubt it. It's primarily the food in the delivery chain. If it were just seven meals it would mean the delivery chain was only seven meals from cutting the crop to serving on a plate and that's way way too short a time as a world average.

The phrase used was "in storage" - usually implies in government reserves rather than in the entire food chain.

I can well believe that the milk lake and the beef mountain within the EU's CAP silos could feed every man, woman and child on the planet at least one substantial meal without calling on the other food rich nations.
spot

Post by spot »

That's Monsanto's profits you're talking about.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I do think that fuzzy is correct on those comments. thousands of people die of starvation every day.

Shalom

Ted:-6
spot

Post by spot »

Jester;941360 wrote: We could certainly feed everybody if we wanted to.People prefer, I think, to have their own sustainable farms than to sit in refugee camps waiting the next free meal delivery. If your food arrives in their marketplace at below the local production cost then the local farms will go bankrupt. The local farms need the protection of their government to keep your food out of the country. That way there's enough profit locally to develop the farms and reduce prices eventually. The one thing wrecking sustainable farming in the third world, and getting those countries out of poverty, is the dumping of subsidized cheap excess food from the West into their marketplaces. That's why the WTO agreement was rejected.

Food "aid" from the West is the chain that continues to enslave Africa.
Ted

Post by Ted »

It is interesting to see the excuses. We have thousands dying every day from starvation. Countries in Africa are suffering unheard of droughts. Nothing will grow. There is nothing for stock to eat. If the people plant seeds they will either not germinate or if they do die of drought. Then of course, as fuzzy has mentioned, there is the problem of obtaining seed. Monsanto seems to be seeing the benefits of that problem.

If we look at Darfur we see the same with the added problem of politics. Part of the problem in Darfur is also the fact that they have no oil so are not worth helping.

Of course we have other problems like transportation. Our farmers burn unused grain stocks because it costs too much to ship them to the people that need them.

Christians are by their very claim to be doing justice and showing kindness. Justice means equality. This does not mean that everyone gets the same but they get what they need to survive. Far too many so called Christians are more worried about their own souls than the lives of starving people or they are more worried about their pocket books. For all the so called Christians there are far too few heeding the call for justice. Of course then some want to put strings on their donations.

I do think Jesus would be disgusted with what folks have done in and to his name.

Shell can publish obscene profits but don't seem to be able to spare any of that for the starving. At least Bill Gates put his money where his mouth is and is getting on with humanitarian tasks. Damn that terrible word humanism is from the same root and those fine Christians don't want to appear to be humanists.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

Jester:-6

I definitely was not referring to all Christians. There are many fine ones doing their job. There are however many Christians are not doing their job and these I strongly urge to get on with their job.

Of course there are other factors but that should not prevent people from doing their job.

There are many Christians who would put their lives in jeopardy to save souls but ignore their physical needs.

Shalom

BTS

Post by BTS »

If you bleeding hearts are so worried about the starving souls and such, why did (do) you stand idle with out a word and watch millions a year die from malaria?

Just wonding, WHY?

Could it be because your support is causing it?
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Ted

Post by Ted »

Jester:-6

Absolutely wrong. Government was the furthest thing from my mind. I was speaking of Christians.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

BTS:-6

I refuse to go into detail but will say that I usually do without every month in order to help the needy.

Shalom

BTS

Post by BTS »

Jester;945947 wrote: Here is the original quote of yours and I bolded the areas that seem to me that you were refering to the US... mostly becaseu I am certain in other post you have said as much that the US only goes where it canmake a profit for big oil.

I guess I was wrong...:-3

Save your breath Jester :yh_ttth:yh_ttth
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Jester;945837 wrote: Ted, lets be honest, your post wasnt aimed at 'chirstians', it was aimed at the US government under Bush.

So many folks get angry with the US for doing too much in other countries and not enough in the countries they want them to do something... we are damned if we do and damned if we dont, so we might as well just do what we want to do.

I often wonder what would happen if the US just pulled up stakes and went home?

Yes please - I thought we had agreed that this was the best policy for all concerned.
abortretryfail

Post by abortretryfail »

I think that we need to lead the way in the world in establishing global food security and food sovereignty - the right of countries to determine and implement their own food security policies; and the responsibility of all countries to protect every person’s human right to food. Mostly my ideas come from the book Thinking Big: a. Support for a Global Food Convention – governing standards for all nations about food b. US should advocate for the right of all countries to safeguard their food sovereignty through support for farmers and agriculture, border measures, and food reserves. c. a grain reserve. d. regulation of the commodity markets and e. reformed (i.e. get rid of stupid rules and corruption) and increased foreign food aid. I also think that curbing obesity here at home is vital, as the WHO reports that there are 900,000 obese people, and 700,000 starving. Since both are a form of malnutrition - both need to be treated as dire issues.

Return to “Social Human Rights”