Thank God CBS didn't shut him up!:)

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Non_PC wrote: I realized that my previous statement implies I believe the excuses and blaming only applies to minorities. That is far from the truth. I see it in all kids (unfortunately, I even see it in my daughter because she sees her friends do it . . . very sad). When things do not go their way, the first thing any student I deal with does is blame someone else for their poor performance. Sadly, parents and society feed into this by not holding the student accountable for their actions. Instead, they lead the charge on blaming me, the teacher, our education system, the government, etc. That was the point I poorly attempted to portray in my previous comment. Until our society says enough with the blaming and excuses, all students success, minority or not, will be limited.
AMEN!
Non_PC

Post by Non_PC »

Koochikoo,

On the contrary, I think you come across as very educated and not naive. Your response to this thread is pointed and very well written. I, like you, am sick and tired of all this PC garbage. We have wasted a generation of people because we are afraid to say what is needed to be said for fear of hurt feelings. Read Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation" to see what open and honest communication gave our country. His book should be standard reading for all high school history classes. God help us if political correctness continues on its current path.:-3
spot

Post by spot »

Non_PC;859477 wrote: Spot,

I do care about Andy Rooney's good character and reputation. However, even though this article may offend him, I believe it to hit "home" with many Americans. I truly wish Andy had the guts to say something like this on TV. I am willing to bet he would get a standing ovation from a the majority of this great country. Unfortunately, we live in a "feminized" society in which speaking the truth, hurtful or not, is frowned upon. Our society, as a whole, is weak because no one wants to step out front and tell it like it is. As one other person said, "I would like to shake the hand of the person who did write the article." So would I.

Had the guts to say something like this on TV? He found the article utterly reprehensible, "the spirit of the whole thing is nasty, mean and totally inconsistent with my philosophy of life". Why would he say anything like it on TV?

As for "I would like to shake the hand of the person who did write the article", it's pitiful that the cowardly author hadn't the decency to sign it so he could be thanked.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Jester;859549 wrote: For George Carlin, well heck, he'd have given his right arm for that piece to be attributed to him!You just lack couth, the whole pack of you. George Carlin begs people to stop attributing things to him that he didn't write.I want people to know that I take care with my writing, and try to keep my standards high. But most of this "humor" on the Internet is just plain stupid. I guess hard-core fans who follow my stuff closely would be able to spot the fake stuff, because the tone of voice is so different. But a casual fan has no way of knowing, and it bothers me that some people might believe I'd actually be capable of writing some of this stuff.

http://www.georgecarlin.com/home/dontblame.html
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

I started three threads in response to this copy/pasted Right On list which were to a large extent ignored, asking for an analysis of the fake points of view. Perhaps there's enough interest now to have a serious go at it?

The three threads are on Race, Minorities and The Right To Bear Arms.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

rjwould;860358 wrote: I find it disturbingly unfortunate, but revealing, that any person living in my country would want to include themselves in the opinions of the original piece.

However, this author, as well as those who align themselves with smut like this only proves my point that we are dumbed down intellectually. The good news is that there are many, many Americans who see this for what it is........racist, intolerant garbage.

Not much makes me angry these days, but this crap sure does the trick. This stuff is an embarrassment to America and its people.

Actually, the only folks it's considered okay to be racially intolerant toward these days is the white middle class american. And god forbid if you are a white middle class male willing to work two jobs for what he has or wants and confused as to when in the hell the rest of the world got the free pass and more important... where can he line up.

I've wondered for a long long time, why it is NOT racist to have black colleges, black scholorships, and for crying out loud...could you imagine the outcry over WET(white entertainment television)? That is a very valid WTF kinda question:D

Where in the hell does anyone get off telling folks certain behavior is not acceptable anymore, but oh by the way it is acceptable going the opposite direction...:-2

I don't agree with everything in the OP, however, I seldom agree with all of anything I read. I'd be interested in which of those statements(specifically) are causing you these anger issues and why. Why is it exactly that you think anyone should be entitled to special treatment or consideration over anyone else?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

flopstock;860369 wrote: I'd be interested in which of those statements(specifically) are causing you these anger issues and why. Why is it exactly that you think anyone should be entitled to special treatment or consideration over anyone else?
I tried discussing those statements in http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=34465 but got little response.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

rjwould;860373 wrote: The general tone angers me. Where did say anything like this? Its less than appealing to be everything you stand against. The accusations whites claim blacks make is the echo of their own voices. As in White people claim blacks should be above racist accusations, while all the time claiming the same territory.

I'm not looking for vague undefined objections, anyone and everyone takes that easy out. I'm asking you for the specific lines in that OP that were so outrageouly over the line IYO, that you felt compelled to call foul.

For example, here's a couple i objected to:

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

Excuse me, but I don't have any desire to have folks be free only if they promise to like me. I don't believe my forefathers died so that any man would feel obligated to come over here and kiss my ass.

At the same time I have no problem with telling folks that if they are looking to get ahead over here, English is a helpful tool.. and no, my tax dollars should NOT be paying for your opportunity to succeed here any more then it pays for mine.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

What does that have to do with Andy Rooney, floppy?

Why did the author of the copy/pasted text refuse to sign it with his own name?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;860383 wrote: What does that have to do with Andy Rooney, floppy?

Why did the author of the copy/pasted text refuse to sign it with his own name?

Personally, I think the only thing this has to do with andy rooney is the presentation style. It's delivered like one of his little tirades at the end of 60 minutes. And it's entirely possible that the original author did put their own name to it and over time and through multiple reincarnations creative license was taken by someone down the line.

It wouldn't be the first or last time such a thing has happened. I think we had something similar here with a soldiers prayer and something clint posted(although i don't recall the content of that post at the moment):-2

I don't read a post and think 'oh look what andy rooney did or didn't write'. I read the post and react to the statements in it, on their own. I don't give them more or less importance because of the author unless the person credited with them has more weighty daily responsibilities then being paid to offer opinions.

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

rjwould;860384 wrote: I don't have a problem with and Everything else I disagree with.

so what specifically do you have a problem with, with each other line. give me specifics please..:thinking:

i think we tend to get morally outraged over things sometimes because we are told we should be morally outraged. but if you stop and really think about it, why are we outraged?

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;860307 wrote: I started three threads in response to this copy/pasted Right On list which were to a large extent ignored, asking for an analysis of the fake points of view. Perhaps there's enough interest now to have a serious go at it?

The three threads are on Race, Minorities and The Right To Bear Arms.
I'm still waiting for your reply on the Minorities thread. :yh_wait
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

rjwould;860456 wrote: Oh jester, STFU....

Your question is a good one for the author of the piece. I've posted in two of the other threads that Spot has been begging folks to post in.

My opinions on these subject have already been posted in various threads here but I'll reply.

The problem I have with your reply is that it takes all the easy outs. Slapping your labels on the statements without explaining how they are an example of that label is simply a cheap shot at a differing viewpoint.

Let's start with the first couple of these where your response doesn't really say anything except 'because I said so'...:D

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. Ignorant, simple minded and racist

Your attitude here appears more racist to me then the authors does. While their attitiude appears to be that anyone is capable of anything, yours appears to be that if you are a minority you must be a victim.... not very possitive thinking rj...:thinking:

The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America .Racist

Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens... Jesse Jackson will be knocking d own your door. Racist

Which of those is NOT an accurate statement? WHY (in your mind) is it okay for Blacks to exclude, yet racist for Whites to exclude? And more importantly as regards the OP, why (in your mind) has it become racist in america today to even question the treatment of the whites by the black community. It's perfectly fine for Blacks to question how they are treated, but not the opposite.... that's not liberty and justice for all, rj... only the folks you feel are entitled to it today.:thinking:

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Feeling spunky today, Flop? :D:-4
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

rjwould;860510 wrote: All your looking for is expansion of my easy outs....All your asking me to do is define my words...They don't need defining...

Reversing my answers and trying to apply them to me is way below you, flopstck....You should be able to do much better than this....I'm not playing your game..:)

Nice try ya crybaby:wah:... I'm simply asking you to explain the reasoning behind your easy labels. You can't. Because there is no justification for them. They are a knee jerk response to statements not housed in political correctness.

Not the first time I've seen you cry 'low blow' and then refuse to play when you don't have a valid argument for something, sweetie. That's really way way below you dear and I hate to be the one pointing it out to you...:)

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

rjwould;860563 wrote: See thats what I mean by lovable...

Well, your comment was totally outrageous - how do you expect him to respond?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

rjwould;860522 wrote: Thanks for the critique, flopstock. I'm so glad you're around to keep me honest...I do value your opinion of me..But you seem frustrated. Now, don't you go chasing me around again....okay!

Yet another one of your deflection tactics, rj. You can't even be original when scurrying away from something you have no answer for. :rolleyes:

Not to worry, ya crybaby... I'm done with you.:wah:

JPK

Post by JPK »

I'm not sure if i have ever read anything more beautiful in my life. Put this literary piece of art in between Martin Luther King's - I have a dream Speech and Jesus Christ's 'Sermon on the Mount''.
FredmSpeech

Post by FredmSpeech »

I just received this forwarded email and suspected it didn't originate from Andy Rooney but I have to say, what was stated was brilliant. The first bit of truth I've read in a long time. People here in Canada would never be so blunt and honest, it's quite pathetic actually. And no, it's not racist, it's the truth! Can you imagine if we had 'white entertainment television', and the other items that were listed? Seriously people..let's try to unite ourselves and not try so hard to segregate ourselves from other cultures or force traditions, religions and the list goes on, in a country that has had established customs for many many years.

And no, I'm not racist, my friends include pretty much any race I can think of.

Return to “Social Human Rights”