gypsys the last people that it is ok to hate

Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I agree. We should all get along. And maybe if they didn't leave everywhere looking like a sh1thole ( in 100% of my observations) they wouldn't get bad press

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

jesse b;489461 wrote: AND WHEN THEY LEAVE NO MESS YA DONT NOTICE
This is not a generalisation but purely based on MY observation of MANY sites. I have yet to see a site where no mess was left behind. If your observations of many sites are different, they are indeed being unfairly judged.

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Jesse :)

Recently I met someone else here who has Romani heritage and I was thrilled that he was so willing to tell me about their ways of life and culture as the people have always fascinated me. Where did I get this fascination from? Television. That was my first introduction as a child. You can probably imagine the stereotypes TV gave me about gypsies. (Is it now acceptable to say gypsy or is that considered bad? I don't know.) Beautiful dancing women with coins all over their skirts, old ladies with wise knowledge and curses, families who travel and dance and sing out in their camps. And of course the bad stuff we often hear. While I may have succumbed to the romance of the people and their life, I never thought of them as "bad" people or thieves or any of the negative stuff that gets attributed to them. In my searching on the Web, I find much positive information on the Rom. I find stereotypes disspelled and it seems to me that peopel are coming around and realizing that gypsies are not the stuff we used to see on TV, are not bad people. Maybe a few bad apples here and there but you get those with any people, anywhere.

I agree with you that it's time to stop maligning these people and attributing negative typecasting to them. Why not start your own thread about them, giving people the facts? That would be cool! It would end up being my favorite thread too. :)

I'm so glad you posted this!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I often think of myself as a Romanian Gypsy. Many scoff. And when they do.....I scoff right back.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Can we distinguish between the Romanii, the Diddicoi, the travellers, the New Agers and all the other groups who come under the blanket heading of Gipsies?

The Romanies who have been around since forever have a proud and respected heratige. Most of the bad press comes from the Travellers who are serious rip off merchants and have a history of wrecking any centres set up for them, and the New Agers, many of whom leave their campsites literally covered in sh!t.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

The romantic image of a gypsy travelling around in a quaint cart is endearing, but the reality , certainly in the UK is that most modern day travellers are a far cry from this picture-postcard image. Of course some colourful characters remain that are a credit to their heritage, but to suggest that all travellers are like this is like suggesting that all cowboys were as clean-shaven and wholesome as Audie Murphy.

If they can't squeeze a settee into their caravan, to use your example, why acquire it in the first place if it's only going to be dumped. Don't be confused and think I have a downer on Gypsies because they may (or may not) dump a load of rubbish. I've got a downer on anyone who dumps rubbish in public places.

Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

jesse b;489523 wrote: i am a romany gypsy who can personly trace my family back over 6 gens

am proud of who i am have no crimanal record pay my taxs work hard

but you still see signs that read NO GYPSYS what would the press say if that sign

read NO BLACKS dont think sign would be there long
Then you are a credit to your heritage, but do you think that all travellers are like you?

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jesse b;489523 wrote: i am a romany gypsy who can personly trace my family back over 6 gens

am proud of who i am have no crimanal record pay my taxs work hard

but you still see signs that read NO GYPSYS what would the press say if that sign

read NO BLACKS dont think sign would be there long

Unfortunately, too many people have too many run ins with the other itinerant groups and the original Romanies are being tarred with the same brush.

Are the Romanii treated as a separate ethnic group for the purposes of the Race Relations Act? If so, you'd have full recourse.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

We dont actually have many pass through my neck of the woods but when they do there's always a lot of mess left behind, i dont want to be contriversial Jesse im just telling you how it is here, i cant speak for the rest of the country.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

jesse b;489566 wrote: most of the problems are not with the true romany gypsy but the irish gypsy who are a differant race all together do not share the same heritage

Just wanted to ask,

Are Irish Gypsies not Gypsies, and if not, then why is the word Gypsy used in reference?
Hugh Janus

Post by Hugh Janus »

Irish itinerant travellers are "Tinkers." They are the people that most people refer to as "Gypsies." It is these people that leave everything a mess, camp on private land, and generally cause problems for everyone around them.

Thay are the people that will come up to your door and say, "wudcha be wantin yer droive tarmacked, oive got a spare ton of tarmac from a job oive been doin' just down the roood."

They are also the people that do soffits and gutterings, generally at rip off prices...

As to them dumping stuff illegally. I wish I could find out where they are dumping their lopped trees. My wood burning stove is in need of plenty of cheap fuel...

SHHHhhhhhhh dont tell 'em. They will be trying to sell me the lopped trees next...
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i don't pretend to know anything about gypsies in Europe, i always had a romanticized view of them. and i sure don't like to generalize. when i first went on sheriff dept. i was warned that there were some gypsies in florida who would go into a big venue like walmart and cause a big distraction while a couple of the group would break into the cash office in the midst of the confusion. it seems from what i read in this thread, 'gypsies' is a generic term.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I am unable to believe that every gypsy (or word of your choice) is a chicken stealing, Walmart raiding, gutter raking, litterbug. That's like saying every black dude likes watermelon and fried chicken. Every white person dances stupidly and all asians eat dog. Etc.

I was so hoping this thread would have some good stuff in it, some things that would be neat to learn. I'm still hoping. Could we hear some good things??
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

who said 'every'? :confused: i certainly didn't.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I always thought of a gypsy as just someone of middle eastern decent, and the women wore see through dresses, and danced all...well...

:lips:

Why the hell is it getting so GD hot in here!?

:-2

:-3

:yh_whistl
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;489725 wrote: ...That's like saying every black dude likes watermelon and fried chicken.

Honestly RedGlitter, I know where you're coming from,..

but who don't like fried chicken and watermelon?

(Well, obviously aside from vegetarians, in that case, who doesn't like watermelon?)
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

K.Snyder;489730 wrote: I always thought of a gypsy as just someone of middle eastern decent, and the women wore see through dresses, and danced all...well...

:lips:

Why the hell is it getting so GD hot in here!?

:-2

:-3

:yh_whistl

See through dresses, your priceless K, thanks for that.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I've seen gypsy camps or caravans in India, Bangladesh and Albania. Each time, local people in these countries talked about the crime and other problems which are associated with a visit by the gypsies. Nobody said "EVERY" gypsy is a criminal....but it would seem that crime is a way of life for many.

Pity.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Lulu2;489742 wrote: I've seen gypsy camps or caravans in India, Bangladesh and Albania. Each time, local people in these countries talked about the crime and other problems which are associated with a visit by the gypsies. Nobody said "EVERY" gypsy is a criminal....but it would seem that crime is a way of life for many.

Pity.

Well it seems to me it would be relatively easy to find out such an accusation.

Compare the incarceration rate of gypsies with that of the amount of the actual population in conjunction to the incarceration and percentage of other peoples and you will know quite blatantly who is more criminalistic, right?
Hugh Janus

Post by Hugh Janus »

I still say that the general "UK" Gypsies are not the romantic eastern european type, but the "cast out, itinerant, Irish, tinker. And that is the problem in the UK. So if the people have a need to protect their land, and protect their belongings. Then they need to be aware that "Gypsies, are not the true Romanian Gipsies, but are actually Irish castouts, that think they are above that law. You can always tell them, as soon as they speak. Their Irish accent has been diluted to such a degree that even the Irish can't understand them. The accent is a cross between Irish, and pure gibberish...

Edit: Oh and if I owned a pub, I wouldn't let the buggers in my boozer either...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;489748 wrote: Well it seems to me it would be relatively easy to find out such an accusation.

Compare the incarceration rate of gypsies with that of the amount of the actual population in conjunction to the incarceration and percentage of other peoples and you will know quite blatantly who is more criminalistic, right?

The only problem with that is that the Police are "reluctant" to go into their camps to question / arrest them.

A little while ago some solar panels and batteries were stolen from an Environment Agency site near our boat club. We called the Police and showed them the tracks from the sack trucks used to carry them across the field (with the sack trucks still left at the end of them) and the wheel marks of the van used to drive them up the dirt track all the way to the Tinker's camp - this within 10 hours of the theft.

The Police decided that they had no evidence to warrent questioning anyone in the camp.

This is not hearsay or urban myth - I was involved and saw it happen.

I also saw the state of the site and the cost of the cleanup when they finally left.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Bryn Mawr;489503 wrote: Can we distinguish between the Romanii, the Diddicoi, the travellers, the New Agers and all the other groups who come under the blanket heading of Gipsies?

The Romanies who have been around since forever have a proud and respected heratige. Most of the bad press comes from the Travellers who are serious rip off merchants and have a history of wrecking any centres set up for them, and the New Agers, many of whom leave their campsites literally covered in sh!t.

Glad you clarified that Bryn. I know people from genuine Romany 'stock' who take great pride in their homes and surroundings whether they are 'mobile' or not.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bez;489811 wrote: Glad you clarified that Bryn. I know people from genuine Romany 'stock' who take great pride in their homes and surroundings whether they are 'mobile' or not.

As far as I can tell it's a totally different way of life and life attitude between the Romany and the other itinerants. A real shame that they should all be tarred with the same brush.
Hugh Janus

Post by Hugh Janus »

jesse b;489851 wrote: so no gypsys were allowed in your pub hate to tell you thats not allowed under uk law you could have lost ya licence

Read the notice that says "The management reserve the right to refuse to serve" etc...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;489774 wrote: The only problem with that is that the Police are "reluctant" to go into their camps to question / arrest them.

A little while ago some solar panels and batteries were stolen from an Environment Agency site near our boat club. We called the Police and showed them the tracks from the sack trucks used to carry them across the field (with the sack trucks still left at the end of them) and the wheel marks of the van used to drive them up the dirt track all the way to the Tinker's camp - this within 10 hours of the theft.

The Police decided that they had no evidence to warrent questioning anyone in the camp.

This is not hearsay or urban myth - I was involved and saw it happen.

I also saw the state of the site and the cost of the cleanup when they finally left.

Well, then, it all sounds like one big load of sh*^ if you ask me(excuse the pun).
Bez

Post by Bez »

This UK site has some interesting facts and figures.

http://www.cre.gov.uk/gdpract/g_and_t_facts.html

In response to the title of the thread....I personally don't agree with this statement....
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Snooze, thanks for the cool links. :) Here are a couple more....

A stunningly beautiful vardo or caravan with photos of inside:

http://gypsywaggons.co.uk/features4.htm

A film documentary that might be cool to see:

http://www.whentheroadbends.com/

:)
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Bez, thanks for that site! I'm going to be gone a while so I can read it.

Here's a very knowledgeable website my friend gave me about the Romany people and history: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/5121/patrin.htm

:)

Post by 911 »

lady cop;489705 wrote: i don't pretend to know anything about gypsies in Europe, i always had a romanticized view of them. and i sure don't like to generalize. when i first went on sheriff dept. i was warned that there were some gypsies in florida who would go into a big venue like walmart and cause a big distraction while a couple of the group would break into the cash office in the midst of the confusion. it seems from what i read in this thread, 'gypsies' is a generic term.

Like LC, this is the only way I came to know anything about 'gypsies' other than the wonderful versions I saw on TV and books. The ones that would pass through our area would do this sort of distraction in convience stores and the asphalt flim flams.

Like most people, I always had a romantic view of the gypsies also. I have a good friend from the Czech Republic who hates the gypsies. Apparently, they did one too many flim flam operations and were not well liked. I agree, as in any other race, there are good and bad.

I was not aware there were so many different races of gypsies. Are they somehow blood related or just called gypsies because they travel so much? I would like to know more about them. I don't think I could spot one on the street if they passed right in front of me. I notice people, not races so much. Where I live there are so many races, it's hard to keep up with unless they are wearing their native clothes.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

911;490529 wrote: Like LC, this is the only way I came to know anything about 'gypsies' other than the wonderful versions I saw on TV and books. The ones that would pass through our area would do this sort of distraction in convience stores and the asphalt flim flams.

Like most people, I always had a romantic view of the gypsies also. I have a good friend from the Czech Republic who hates the gypsies. Apparently, they did one too many flim flam operations and were not well liked. I agree, as in any other race, there are good and bad.

I was not aware there were so many different races of gypsies. Are they somehow blood related or just called gypsies because they travel so much? I would like to know more about them. I don't think I could spot one on the street if they passed right in front of me. I notice people, not races so much. Where I live there are so many races, it's hard to keep up with unless they are wearing their native clothes.

Over here Gipsy (Gyppo) tends to be used as a generic term for all of the ittinerants and that encompasses many distinct groups.

The Romanies came form ?Northern India? via Eastern Europe over a thousand years ago and have roots in Hungary, Romania etc. They were one of Hitler's first targets, even before the Jews.

the Dids do back nearly as far but are not of the same stock.

The Tinkers originated in the Irish Navies brought over to dig the Canals in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The New Agers appear to be a combination of the drop outs of the 60s / 70s and a later influx from the troubles of the 90s.

There are others but I'm sure Jesse B will correct my misunderstandings and glossings over.

Post by 911 »

Bryn Mawr;490604 wrote: Over here Gipsy (Gyppo) tends to be used as a generic term for all of the ittinerants and that encompasses many distinct groups.The Romanies came form ?Northern India? via Eastern Europe over a thousand years ago and have roots in Hungary, Romania etc. They were one of Hitler's first targets, even before the Jews.

the Dids do back nearly as far but are not of the same stock.

The Tinkers originated in the Irish Navies brought over to dig the Canals in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The New Agers appear to be a combination of the drop outs of the 60s / 70s and a later influx from the troubles of the 90s.

There are others but I'm sure Jesse B will correct my misunderstandings and glossings over.

Thank you for that.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

jesse b;489452 wrote: is it only a prob in the uk we live in a world that says racism is wrong

but it is still ok for the press to wage hatred on one race THE GYPSY why do we let this carry on

one head line read

THE GYPSY INVADERS

yet they have been here 500 years when do they become welcome a different race adifferant way of life but is it wrong

the list carrys on let hear a reason to change the way we think the way we act

LETS JUST GET ALONG

Has it occurred to you to be angry with the Irish gypsy's that give you( romany gypsy's) a bad name .... No thought not theres no mileage in that .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
BTS

Post by BTS »

Gypsy Scams......Are they Only in the USA?

SWEETHEART SCAM from the Phoenix PD:

Information Provided by the Police Department

http://phoenix.gov/POLICE/swt_scam1.html

or these winners

Belinda & Richard Mitchell: Gypsy Sweetheart Swindlers

http://www.quiknet.com/twitham/sweetheart_swindle/

Table Of Contents

My Case of Sweetheart Swindle (brief introduction and excruciating detail of why this site exists)

WANTED: Kisie Tina John, Steve John et al. (gypsy swindlers on the loose!)

Are These 3 Mitchell Swindlers Related?

What It Takes To Be A Victim

Warning Signs or How to Avoid the Scam

Victim Impact Statements or How This Crime Affects My Life

The Organized Crime Ring of Gypsy Mitchells

The Criminal Protection System

External Sweetheart Swindle Linksgypsy: When I use the word "gypsy" in these pages, I am referring to the Mitchells or other similar gypsy criminals. Unfortunately, the Mitchells are the only gypsies I have ever met. They have been proven to be deceitful evil psychopaths in a court of law. If you think this page gives their people a bad name you are right. The only way to change that is for them to quit doing their crimes, but that does not seem likely to happen. Our criminal protection system lets them get away with it, at your expense. These criminal gypsies are leeches on society and must be exposed for who they are.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."

Return to “Social Human Rights”