What's wrong with Polygamy?

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Diuretic;516126 wrote: No worries Pinky - we're like those two old buggers in The Muppets (except I'm always CORRECT whereas Acc is just RIGHT!) :wah:
:wah:
HumanBeast

Post by HumanBeast »

If Romney wins for Pres in 2008, he might legalize it. :D
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

This seems to be a good time to resurrect this thread.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 706191.ece
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Accountable;835810 wrote: This seems to be a good time to resurrect this thread.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 706191.ece

Yes, it is Accountable....

I've never understood this type of behavior....Why do all of these women feel that they have to live like this and then bring children into the world and subject them to this abnormal behavior.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Kathy Ellen;835811 wrote: Yes, it is Accountable....

I've never understood this type of behavior....Why do all of these women feel that they have to live like this and then bring children into the world and subject them to this abnormal behavior.
Normal and abnormal are subjective terms. Interracial marriage was once considered abnormal. Wanting to live outside one's station was once considered abnormal. Women voting was once considered abnormal.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Accountable;835812 wrote: Normal and abnormal are subjective terms. Interracial marriage was once considered abnormal. Wanting to live outside one's station was once considered abnormal. Women voting was once considered abnormal.

It will always be abnormal behavior to me:thinking:
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

lol who could possibly handle more then one woman... haha
Smoke signals ftw!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Kathy Ellen;835814 wrote: It will always be abnormal behavior to me:thinking:
Of course! To me as well. Lots of weird things in this world that other people think of as normal.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Omni_Skittles;835817 wrote: lol who could possibly handle more then one woman... haha
Hehehe. Who can handle one?? :wah:
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

lol it's funny because some of the women in these marriages say that one women can't handle one man... I call her a coward haha
Smoke signals ftw!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

fuzzy butt;835853 wrote: Teh way I seeit ?

First generation of polygamy fine everyone is happy.

Second generation and being born into it ? problems.
Do you mean teaching the kid that polygamy's acceptable, that polygamy is required, or something else?

Forcing anyone into a marriage is wrong. Teaching that joining a consentual multiple marriage is acceptable should be fine, imo.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

But the women are not taught about consensuality. They're taught that the way to heaven is through their husband who must vouch for them. Even regular (non sect) Mormon women are told this. A lifetime of that brainwash can really mess up one's thinking.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

RedGlitter;835962 wrote: But the women are not taught about consensuality. They're taught that the way to heaven is through their husband who must vouch for them. Even regular (non sect) Mormon women are told this. A lifetime of that brainwash can really mess up one's thinking.
That's an excellent argument against the LDS and I recommend you not join them. :) Sorry, couldn't resist.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Accountable;835967 wrote: That's an excellent argument against the LDS and I recommend you not join them. :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Accountable. ;)

So are you saying you agree with what I refer to as brainwash?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

RedGlitter;835968 wrote: Accountable. ;)

So are you saying you agree with what I refer to as brainwash?
Sure! I grew up with the brainwashing of racism (deep south). I believe any teaching that is good can withstand knowledge of other things. Once people have all the information, they should be allowed to choose what's best, even if it seems dumb to the rest of us.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Accountable;835986 wrote: Sure! I grew up with the brainwashing of racism (deep south). I believe any teaching that is good can withstand knowledge of other things. Once people have all the information, they should be allowed to choose what's best, even if it seems dumb to the rest of us.

I think we agree here! :) The only issue I have with that is that the other options are either not taught or else they are taught in a way where judgement's already been passed on them in a way to affect a person's opinion and prevent them from thinking for themselves....but I believe we agree overall.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

What's wrong with polygamy?

Multiple mothers-in-law to start with.....................
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Chookie;836325 wrote: What's wrong with polygamy?

Multiple mothers-in-law to start with.....................

:wah::wah::wah::wah::wah:
Smoke signals ftw!
SedonaFaerie

Post by SedonaFaerie »

I agree with adult consent...If a woman decides to marry a man with more than one wife for religious or any other reason, that's her decision. The problem lies in the children that are born into this world and no nothing else. They dont have the option or even the outside knowledge to decide they if want to be a part of it. Girls are getting married at as young as 14 and usually forced into sex with their husbands, who are often decades older.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi SedonaFaerie!

Welcome to FG! :)
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Too long a thread but EVERYTHING is wrong with polygamy!!!!!!!!

Do you women out there want to share your husband ------NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you want your daughters to have to share a husband at 20 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO WAY
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
SedonaFaerie

Post by SedonaFaerie »

Thanks! :)
spot

Post by spot »

You're both impractical. If the state refuses to recognise a polygamous marriage, what's a poor polygamous family going to do? Live together without marrying, of course. Who on earth needs a civilly recognised marriage these days anyway? They can have their stand-up-in-Church married-in-the-eyes-of-God ceremony which the state will refuse to recognize but the state's scarcely going to stop them from living together or sleeping together or having children together, is it. Or are you hoping to bring back a ban on sex outside marriage for all citizens? It'll be fun watching the two of you campaign for that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Thanks! :)
spot

Post by spot »

I'm trying to work out what the SedonaFaerie/NV Bill would look like if they actually tried to make illegal a man having a concurrent relationship with multiple women while avoiding the backlash from bona-fide wife-cheating adulterers.This Bill prohibits sexual relations between an offending adult with more than one other-gendered adult turn and turn about, at least two of whom are aware of the offender's multiple concurrent relationships.Does that manage it? Common-or-garden wife-cheating's still legal but polygamous relationships are illegal?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
BTS

Post by BTS »

This is a far reaching way of life that is growing at leaps and bounds the world wide. Tying this argument into the "Gay Rights" argument I think is just the tip of the iceberg. Just look at how Britain has decided to handle this just last year..........

Multiple wives will mean multiple benefits:

Link is above and a few exerts from article below:

"Husbands with multiple wives have been given the go-ahead to claim extra welfare benefits following a year-long Government review, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal."

"New guidelines on income support from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state: "Where there is a valid polygamous marriage the claimant and one spouse will be paid the couple rate ... The amount payable for each additional spouse is presently £33.65."

"Income support for all of the wives may be paid directly into the husband's bank account, if the family so choose. Under the deal agreed by ministers, a husband with multiple wives may also be eligible for additional housing benefit and council tax benefit to reflect the larger property needed for his family."

"The ruling could cost taxpayers millions of pounds. Ministers launched a review of the benefit rules for polygamous marriages in November 2006, after it emerged that some families had benefited financially.

The review concluded in December last year with agreement that the extra benefits should continue to be paid, the Government admitted. The decision was not publicly announced."

And check this kook out from across the pond:

'KING' PHILIP AND HIS SEVEN WIVES: link

The self-styled reincarnated biblical monarch who rules the roost over a harem of SEVEN wives and five children

It is a docu-movie on Sundance now.

A few quotes from article below:

"But Philip, who runs four second hand furniture shops and rears horses, also believes he is fulfilling man's God-given dominance over women.

At one point he likens them to horses and barks at them: "The essence of training a horse is getting it to yield. You lot, I can feel you are not yielding."

And he kicks two wives out - one for being "independent and challenging my leadership", the other so he can rent out her room.

Philip embarked on his oddball quest five years ago by dumping Hadass Sharp, 41 - the wife of 17 years with whom he had five kids - and setting up home with his synagogue secretary Judith.

Eighteen months later came wife No2, single mum-of-two Tracey. Philip claimed he was merely concerned for her welfare, until God ordered him to step in.

He said: "It was obvious she needed a husband. I prayed for God to provide her with one - and he said I should marry her myself. That was a bit of a shock."

Five more wives soon followed. The oldest, widow Chava, now 62, fell under his spell after he officiated at her husband's funeral.

The youngest, Karyn, 27, was snared three years ago when her mum Maureen - who runs the house - told her: "Philip thinks you might make a good wife for him."

None of the women, with whom he has five children, are legally married to him but he insists they are his spouses in God's eyes."

More of Sharp's women

A
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

What's wrong with polygamy? Lots, if you look at life from a basis of equality between the sexes. Also, I would rather have my toes pulled out than have to deal with one woman at a time, (at least on the non-sexual side of marraige, or 95 percent of it in other words). ;)
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Snidely Whiplash

Post by Snidely Whiplash »

OMG........!!!

Isn't trying to please "ONE" woman good enough for some...???? But you want to torture and stress yourself as some sort of thrill seeking adventure to try and please more than one women at once...???????

Is there a category in the Guiness book for this..???? :wah:

Ones enough for me....... More than enough most of the time..... LOL :)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Galbally;885708 wrote: What's wrong with polygamy? Lots, if you look at life from a basis of equality between the sexes. Also, I would rather have my toes pulled out than have to deal with one woman at a time, (at least on the non-sexual side of marraige, or 95 percent of it in other words). ;)
Um, I hope you mean more than one. :D

BTS, that's just more reason not to have gov't recognition of marriage at all. If there's more than one person living in a household that needs gov't aid, give one a larger portion as head of household and add a little for each one. Treat them exactly as a single mom and her kids. Why should it be different if they're adults?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I still occasionally consider taking more than one spouse - but heck, who needs the aggravation??? One is enough!!!! Of course, I wouldn't mind a couple of wives - that might sound weird as I'm very straight, but just think of what most women could achieve with a wife!!!!! Relieved of all the tasks not considered worthy of serious attention but without which men wouldn't be free to achieve the greatness they take for granted, we too could rule the world.. hic.. would one of my concubins please refill my hic glass... I'm watching the TV, relaxing after a hard day at the office.. and where's my dinner?!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I wouldn't mind a few husbands. Be kinda nice to have the competition on going so that they don't get tempted to let the sex turn into the boring wham bam thank you ...snore..:D

Be nice to get some stuff done around here too, although they'd probably waste a lot a time deciding how to do it and who was the leader rather then just getting it done.:rolleyes:

And probably if I had more then 3 I'd seriously consider changing the house rule to 'seat up' when one leaves the bathroom...:thinking::p
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I just heard a guy make a great point on 20/20 tonight. Hugh Hefner lives with several women in the same house and he gets applause and a reality TV show. If he were to marry them, he'd be put in jail.

That's INSANE!!
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

That's RICH !

spot

Post by spot »

AussiePam;921487 wrote: That's RICH !

It may be the trappings of wealth but it's a poor show.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

BTS;885649 wrote: This is a far reaching way of life that is growing at leaps and bounds the world wide. Tying this argument into the "Gay Rights" argument I think is just the tip of the iceberg. Just look at how Britain has decided to handle this just last year..........

Multiple wives will mean multiple benefits:

Link is above and a few exerts from article below:

"Husbands with multiple wives have been given the go-ahead to claim extra welfare benefits following a year-long Government review, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal."

"New guidelines on income support from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state: "Where there is a valid polygamous marriage the claimant and one spouse will be paid the couple rate ... The amount payable for each additional spouse is presently £33.65."

"Income support for all of the wives may be paid directly into the husband's bank account, if the family so choose. Under the deal agreed by ministers, a husband with multiple wives may also be eligible for additional housing benefit and council tax benefit to reflect the larger property needed for his family."

"The ruling could cost taxpayers millions of pounds. Ministers launched a review of the benefit rules for polygamous marriages in November 2006, after it emerged that some families had benefited financially.

The review concluded in December last year with agreement that the extra benefits should continue to be paid, the Government admitted. The decision was not publicly announced."

And check this kook out from across the pond:

'KING' PHILIP AND HIS SEVEN WIVES: link

The self-styled reincarnated biblical monarch who rules the roost over a harem of SEVEN wives and five children

It is a docu-movie on Sundance now.

A few quotes from article below:

"But Philip, who runs four second hand furniture shops and rears horses, also believes he is fulfilling man's God-given dominance over women.

At one point he likens them to horses and barks at them: "The essence of training a horse is getting it to yield. You lot, I can feel you are not yielding."

And he kicks two wives out - one for being "independent and challenging my leadership", the other so he can rent out her room.

Philip embarked on his oddball quest five years ago by dumping Hadass Sharp, 41 - the wife of 17 years with whom he had five kids - and setting up home with his synagogue secretary Judith.

Eighteen months later came wife No2, single mum-of-two Tracey. Philip claimed he was merely concerned for her welfare, until God ordered him to step in.

He said: "It was obvious she needed a husband. I prayed for God to provide her with one - and he said I should marry her myself. That was a bit of a shock."

Five more wives soon followed. The oldest, widow Chava, now 62, fell under his spell after he officiated at her husband's funeral.

The youngest, Karyn, 27, was snared three years ago when her mum Maureen - who runs the house - told her: "Philip thinks you might make a good wife for him."

None of the women, with whom he has five children, are legally married to him but he insists they are his spouses in God's eyes."

More of Sharp's women

A

I watched that show when it was aired in UK and it wasnt "happy families

Philip, who rears horses, also believes he is fulfilling man's God-given dominance over women.

And they admit their nine-bedroom home near Brighton can become a hotbed of envy as they vie for his affections. Judith, 47, was devastated as one new wife after another arrived. She said, fighting back tears: "I missed having time with him. You'd get up to put the kettle on and someone would take your place."

Tracey, 38, who now has a daughter with Philip, added: "If he was in his room with one wife, others would rush in. People couldn't bear it if he held someone's hand."

Judith claims they get along better now and have an amicable arrangement over wifely chores. Except in the bedroom, where their husband picks and chooses.

She said: "We have a rota for washing up and cooking, but not for sex. Each wife has her time. We don't just sit around waiting for the call. As long as you're not clingy, it's fine to make the approach."

But she admitted it still produces pangs of jealousy. She said: "It's not who he's spending the night with that gets to you, it's the little touch or tender look that's so devastating."

The rest of the harem who share her husband are Hannah, 49, who met him as he preached in Austria' Swiss-born Vreni, 36' and New Zealander Margo, 36, with whom he has two daughters and a son.

Philip isn't complaining about having to choose which of them to bed each night. He said: "It's done according to how I feel. When you're on the sofa watching TV together and can feel their need and you're up for it, it happens naturally."

He admitted there is rampant jealousy but added, in more fanciful gibberish: "It's something they're growing out of because the emphasis of the family is to have real unity and genuine love. There are seasons when I will spend more time with one than another but I seek to evolve each relationship."

However, many of his wives appear to have been vulnerable after leading troubled lives.

Hannah, 49, told a BBC TV show: "I was used and abused." Tracey said: "I treated everyone as if they were the people who hurt me as a child." And Chava spent 22 years in a sexless marriage but admitted Philip now rarely slept with her.

The mask of domestic bliss slipped as Philip explained his belief in men's destiny to rule women.

In one scene he reduced Chava to tears as he accused her of behaving like an old nun. She was later sent to live in an unrenovated house while he let out her bedroom.

Tracey was also kicked out for not being obedient enough and was only allowed back after a year.

As well as comparing them to horses, he bragged: "If a woman has a strong but humble man over her then she will flourish. We have hard headed, hard-hearted women who are very independent. Men are treated like second-class citizens.

If that Polygamy ya can keep it....Im not "neighing" for no one:D
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

In a western country, where women do mostly have a choice, I really wonder what kind of women will be prepared to submit in this way to a man like that? I can only think that it may be fulfilling some kind of fantasy for both of them.

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Those "reality" shows do their casting with an eye for entertainment, not accuracy. I'm sure that whoever tries to find the most extreme cases.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Accountable;921612 wrote: Those "reality" shows do their casting with an eye for entertainment, not accuracy. I'm sure that whoever tries to find the most extreme cases.

yes your right but i'll not get the chance to view their way of living by any other means so thats what my opinion will be based on, plus Im a one man/woman guy and not into sexy sharing. Im not saying Im against it, its just not for me. That show reminded me a bit of communal living and thats another thing id not be interested in. What worried me more about ex rabbi Phil was his dictator ship over those women, he was mean to them and tried to break them into his way of thinking, they were vunerable women.

Lord Bath is known for his polyamorous lifestyle with "wifelets" but he seems a nice guy eccentric and batty but he doesnt seem to mistreat his wifelets.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Chezzie;921644 wrote: yes your right but i'll not get the chance to view their way of living by any other means so thats what my opinion will be based on, plus Im a one man/woman guy and not into sexy sharing. Im not saying Im against it, its just not for me. That show reminded me a bit of communal living and thats another thing id not be interested in. What worried me more about ex rabbi Phil was his dictator ship over those women, he was mean to them and tried to break them into his way of thinking, they were vunerable women.

Lord Bath is known for his polyamorous lifestyle with "wifelets" but he seems a nice guy eccentric and batty but he doesnt seem to mistreat his wifelets.
Last night's 20/20 was really good.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=5396768&page=1
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Accountable;921654 wrote: Last night's 20/20 was really good.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=5396768&page=1

Yes when you read the docu we had and that 20/20 piece theirs a big difference on the way its protrayed. Maybe its more common in America and they have a leaner view. I have no idea how popular it is here in the UK, hell maybe auntie mabel and auntie fanny are not sisters who live with Fannys hubby Dick...Who knows eh!!

For me personally I dont give a fig on who wants to live with who and whether their married or poly or living in sin, aslong as all parties are happy and consentful and no children are hurt in any way by their way of living.

Return to “Social Human Rights”