June 4

Discussion group for bereaved people.This forum offers support, understanding, compassion and hope to bereaved people, struggling to rebuild their lives after the death of their loved ones.
RedGlitter

June 4

Post by RedGlitter »

Today's the day.

The one I've been worried about how I'd handle when it got here.

My beloved mom has been dead for one year.

Where did it go? It was such a blur. Everything happened so fast and yet...in slow motion. All I remember is being numb. For so long.

Of all the ways I failed my mom in life, I did not fail her in her death. I kept my promise and I did my job. And I did it well. I told her I'd see her to the end and I did.

When they lowered her coffin down, I thought I was committing my mother to the earth and giving her back to God. Only fool mortals think like this. You don't give back to God. God takes and you say okay. Or not. But you don't give back what already belongs to God.

I am grateful that God saw fit to let me be there when she left this world. If I had been anywhere else, I would have shot myself.

Everyone thinks birth is so miraculous. Well...so is death. It wasn't beautiful by any means. But it was a process. And because of all the ways I think, and all the things I believe, and all that we had talked about; watching my mom cross over was the most surreal, mysterious and awful thing I have ever seen. And I mean awful in it's true sense, "full of awe."

And at that moment I was alone. And somehow I knew that all Mom ever was, was now in me.

There's an African proverb that goes something like...

All that you are

is in the palm of your hand

Meaning that you are the sum of all who came before you.

When I miss my mom all I have to do is look at my hands. Because they're just like hers. And I think of all the things these hands have done in forty years' time. They've comforted the sick and the dying, held new life, created beautiful things from nothing, wiped away tears when things were impossible, held broken, bloodied bodies, buried the beloved, caressed someone in the dark of night, held him when his dreams were bad.

They know all the things my mother once knew.

All that you are

is in the palm of your hand

I want to ask my mom so many things....

What's it like to be immortal, Mom?

Have you touched the face of God?

Is God love?

Do you know all the answers now?

Will you always remember me?

I learned that being tough is not the same as being strong.

I learned that strength can be found where you least expect to find it.

I learned the comfort and gratitude that comes from the warmth of being held up by my friends.

I also learned that when death happens to someone else, I still don't know the words to say. Because even though I've been there, it's different for everyone.

When I went to the florist to order my mom's flowers, and they found out it was for her funeral, the man behind the counter came around to me, held my hand and said he'd lost his mother too. I was overwhelmed. Suddenly this stranger and I were in the same club.

You know that pain too.

I come here and write stuff that should probably stay in my heart instead. But it's cathartic.

You guys send me PMs and emails that overflow with support and often sadly, a mutual understanding of what it's like. I wonder if you know how much I appreciate you for doing that. So many of you have been nothing but kind to me.

I'm taking my dad out for an early dinner. We were going to see a movie too but everything that's showing looks stupid.

I'll get some champagne and we'll toast to Mom and all she stood for. And later when I'm alone I'll do my own little thing for her. Not sure what that'll be yet but it'll be something.

And yeah...there's something else I want to say to someone in particular.

Jimbo. I know you'll come here. I could say a lot of things right now and try to be eloquent but I know you'll understand if I just say thank you for being there. You're special to me. Thanks buddy. :-4

Thanks you guys for putting up with me.

Terri (the real person behind all the red glitter)

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;

Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.

For nothing now can ever come to any good.

-WH Auden

Hope is the feathered thing

that perches in the Soul

-Emily Dickinson

minks

June 4

Post by minks »

A mother's treasure is her daughter. ~Catherine Pulsifer

Very touching Glitter Girl your are a credit to your mother I am certain.

Huge Hugs

Minks:-4
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Carl44

June 4

Post by Carl44 »

my friend when will the pain ever end all i can say is i'm here for you and my thoughts are with you at this terrible time of year :-6 :-6 :-4
abbey

June 4

Post by abbey »

I'm sure you're dear mum is sprinkling glitter on you hon.

You're a twinkling credit to her. :-4

A toast to Terri's mum.

WonderWendy3

June 4

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Awww Red, you did it again....gave me goose bumps!! Sending :yh_hugs :yh_hugs &:-4 :-4 to you!!
SuzyB

June 4

Post by SuzyB »

Terri,

I admire your strength and courage to keep going no matter how much you feel like giving up.

My thoughts are with you :-4 :-4
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Carl44

June 4

Post by Carl44 »

dear terry i have not slept in days .ive a stress head ache going off the scale and i'm going to try and sleep

take care i know your hurting ,we will get through this and come out the other side of this tunnel even stronger ,you have been there for me ever since i joined ,and i will be there for you too always :-6 :-6
pinkchick

June 4

Post by pinkchick »

Red Glitter - You are such a lovely and very strong person

Much love to you darling:-4 :-4

You're in my thoughts:-4 :-4
Very nearly perfect ... :D
zinkyusa

June 4

Post by zinkyusa »

hugs to you and your dad Red.:yh_hugs
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Patsy Warnick

June 4

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Red

Your mother is proud of you, always has been

Your Father is also proud of you

I completely understand your pain

Patsy
Ali.

June 4

Post by Ali. »

Hi Red Glitter I havent posted here befor but wen I read just a bit of ur post I had to read more.I lost my beautifull mum 9 years ago now and it seems like it was just yesterday my heart still aches.It never goes away it just gets a little bit easier each dayI pray every night and tell her how much I love her and hope she can hear me.Two years after mum passed my beautifull sister left us and two years after that my dad passed.So I have half my family here and half my family there but they are always all together in my heart and my thoughts.They never leave u u just cant see them.(They are not dead they are just away)Think of all the good and funny time u had wen she was here remember her smiling face.I am crying as I write this sometimes u need to do that to let it out, celebrate her life and all the good things in it.I wish u well and the pain will ease take it from someone who knows.God Bless.Ali.xxxxxxx
Ali.

June 4

Post by Ali. »

enjoy every moment with ur parents and loved ones.
RedGlitter

June 4

Post by RedGlitter »

You guys are great.

Thank you for all your understanding and all you have said.

I'm not sure why but today wasn't how I expected it to be. I've been fairly happy all day. Not sad and gloomy like I had expected. I feel my mother's presence almost everywhere. Maybe that's why.

My dad had a harder time with it tonight than I did. Because we have different ideas about how things are. I felt bad at first because I didn't want him thinking I was trying to somehow celebrate Mom's death. I was determined that we would celebrate all that she was and all that she will be forever more. Her life that we knew of and her new one we don't. I think it went okay, all things considered.

I can't believe we made it this far. I had no idea how we would, just that I promised Mom we would be okay without her.

Life is weird.
Carl44

June 4

Post by Carl44 »

hey buddy sending you jimbo hug moron beams to help you through your hard day :-6 :-6 :-6 :-6
RedGlitter

June 4

Post by RedGlitter »

jimbo;628970 wrote: hey buddy sending you jimbo hug moron beams to help you through your hard day :-6 :-6 :-6

You mean "Jimbo Awesome Buddy Hugs and Magic Beams" right?

Thanks, Friend. I'll take 'em all!!:-6

Return to “Bereaved People”