My Aunt..

Discussion group for bereaved people.This forum offers support, understanding, compassion and hope to bereaved people, struggling to rebuild their lives after the death of their loved ones.
Delilah

My Aunt..

Post by Delilah »

She wasn't just any aunt or any woman.

She was actually my great-aunt. My grandmothers sister. But we have spent the past 7 years getting to know one another and becoming close to each other, in a way I hadn't experienced with a family member before. I wasn't really close with anyone in my family..my family was..disfunctional at best. And I was the odd one out. I had always wondered if I was adopted, because I am so opposite from my family, and was always the one who didn't really fit.

But than I met my Aunt, through letters we began to correspond. (we had only met each other once, when I was five years old. She lived in a different province) Not emails, but letters! (the mind boggles people can still use pen and paper these days, I know) I wrote to her every week, up until about two years ago. (which I am obviously dreadfully guilty about, having lost contact) And I discovered the family in her I always longed for. Someone who was like me! We had heaps in common and were a lot alike in many ways. I enjoyed every word she ever wrote..and I would check the mail everyday, in anticipation for the next letter. She gave me something to look forward to back in a time where there was little to be happy about. And I will always appreciate that, as well as everything about her. Cancer may have taken her away, but she will never be gone. I'll have her with me always and do what I can to make her proud. I'm happy for her, that she no longer has to suffer as she has been for so long and hope she can find the peace she deserved for so long.

I am having issues feeling also guilty about having not been able to travel to Quebec to visit with her, as she had invited me many times before. The one time my mom and I had planned to go, was when my health had gotten worse..and than my mom said we shouldn't go, in case i took ill while we were there or driving there, etc. I tried to persuade her I would befine but it didn't work, and so we didn't end up going. :(
SuzyB

My Aunt..

Post by SuzyB »

Delilah;582337 wrote: She wasn't just any aunt or any woman.

She was actually my great-aunt. My grandmothers sister. But we have spent the past 7 years getting to know one another and becoming close to each other, in a way I hadn't experienced with a family member before. I wasn't really close with anyone in my family..my family was..disfunctional at best. And I was the odd one out. I had always wondered if I was adopted, because I am so opposite from my family, and was always the one who didn't really fit.

But than I met my Aunt, through letters we began to correspond. (we had only met each other once, when I was five years old. She lived in a different province) Not emails, but letters! (the mind boggles people can still use pen and paper these days, I know) I wrote to her every week, up until about two years ago. (which I am obviously dreadfully guilty about, having lost contact) And I discovered the family in her I always longed for. Someone who was like me! We had heaps in common and were a lot alike in many ways. I enjoyed every word she ever wrote..and I would check the mail everyday, in anticipation for the next letter. She gave me something to look forward to back in a time where there was little to be happy about. And I will always appreciate that, as well as everything about her. Cancer may have taken her away, but she will never be gone. I'll have her with me always and do what I can to make her proud. I'm happy for her, that she no longer has to suffer as she has been for so long and hope she can find the peace she deserved for so long.

I am having issues feeling also guilty about having not been able to travel to Quebec to visit with her, as she had invited me many times before. The one time my mom and I had planned to go, was when my health had gotten worse..and than my mom said we shouldn't go, in case i took ill while we were there or driving there, etc. I tried to persuade her I would befine but it didn't work, and so we didn't end up going. :(

Darling, she knows how much you cared for her, I am so sorry for your loss, but you carry her in your heart as she did with you :-4
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

RedGlitter

My Aunt..

Post by RedGlitter »

Dear Delilah,

Whatever your aunt wasn't aware of then, she knows now. Trust in that.

She knows how much she means to you and why and will probably look over you for some time. I'm sorry you are so sad. But I certainly understand. :-4
valerie

My Aunt..

Post by valerie »

I lost a much loved aunt last fall... she gave us fantastic Christmases

growing up but she was much more than that.

I'm sorry you hurt, I know how it feels and I wish I could take the hurt

away.

>
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

weeder

My Aunt..

Post by weeder »

How wonderful for you, that you found each other.It seems that you formed a bond that helped her through her difficult time, and that will help you through yours. You gave her a wonderful gift, that Im certain brought her great joy. You have a piece of your aunt in your heart to carry with you always. So now, the best parts of her will live forever.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]

Return to “Bereaved People”