I'm Offended!

Discussion group for those recovering from substance abuse. This is the place to talk about your struggles and success in regards to addiction.
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

Maybe management will sticky or pin (however it's termed here) this thread?

This is a thread where members may get their offenses voiced without derailing other threads.

Just air it out all you like, within the rules of course.

Link the associated thread in your post if you like so readers can grasp whatever it is you're so upset and carrying on about.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

I'm Offended!

Post by gmc »

What kind of sad git comes on to a discussion forum just so they can find offence and then recite their offence on a thread dedicated to people who find things offensive?

If somebody disagrees with you they are not trying to offend they are just disagreeing. If someone is being a smart arse and trying to wind you up why waste time being offended by them - that's what they want so why let them succeed?

How about a happy thread where members may get their offences voiced and tell everybody they are happy. Am I bothered? seems a good title.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1440499 wrote: What kind of sad git comes on to a discussion forum just so they can find offence and then recite their offence on a thread dedicated to people who find things offensive?

One who's waiting for the next spat and not seeing one on the horizon thinks he'll start his own.

Well said Auld Yin
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1440499 wrote: What kind of sad git comes on to a discussion forum just so they can find offence and then recite their offence on a thread dedicated to people who find things offensive?I don't think most people who become easily offended seek to be offended, I think it's a consequence of discussions sometimes. However, it's not fair to the rest of the posters to have to watch a thread they are interested in become derailed by someone who hasn't come to terms with the subject internally and focus instead on how they're offended by x-poster's comments. this is a thread where those people who have an aching need to express their displeasure all they want or need and still maintain the integrity of the thread where they found offense.

gmc;1440499 wrote: If somebody disagrees with you they are not trying to offend they are just disagreeing. If someone is being a smart arse and trying to wind you up why waste time being offended by them - that's what they want so why let them succeed? Oftentimes people become offended by something they read into a sentence and not what's actually being said. I think the offended often can't contribute to the subject and attempt to add to it by voicing their offense. They need to understand though that that is indeed derailing the conversation, especially if the complaint is ongoing.

gmc;1440499 wrote: How about a happy thread where members may get their offences voiced and tell everybody they are happy. Am I bothered? seems a good title.Put your money where your mouth is and initiate one.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Bruv »

OK I shall put my two pennorth.........

I am not a fan of the back biting and bickering that sometimes derails threads.

We are all adults though, we can walk away, ignore, or give as good as we get.

I think that most times the moderation is OK, allowing things to sort them selves out naturally, there times when a firmer hand is needed.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 16499
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

I'm Offended!

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1440519 wrote: OK I shall put my two pennorth.........

I am not a fan of the back biting and bickering that sometimes derails threads.

We are all adults though, we can walk away, ignore, or give as good as we get.

I think that most times the moderation is OK, allowing things to sort them selves out naturally, there times when a firmer hand is needed.


Maybe, interestingly though, subscribing members do have a chance to give their opinion on fall outs and to suggest what should happen.

The reality is hardly any members voice their opinions, they stay well clear and all we get are the involved parties arguing amongst themselves :wah:
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 16499
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

I'm Offended!

Post by Betty Boop »

Personally I think if you are offended it's ok to type out your annoyed response, but then you delete it and leave the computer. Go make a cuppa, have a think, come back to the offensive post re-read it and then respond. Second time around reading it it always seems less offensive and then you hopefully post a more considered response.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'm offended that I can't tell 'offenders' to **** off. :)
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1440523 wrote:

The reality is hardly any members voice their opinions, they stay well clear and all we get are the involved parties arguing amongst themselves :wah:


Those long drawn out battles with poking tongues, hair pulling, hissy fits, name calling etc.etc. may be solved if it were possible to impose a 'time out' on the offending members, an hour or so might be enough.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bruv;1440527 wrote: Those long drawn out battles with poking tongues, hair pulling, hissy fits, name calling etc.etc. may be solved if it were possible to impose a 'time out' on the offending members, an hour or so might be enough.


"poking tongues, hair pulling, hissy fits, name calling" ............You're right, an hour at the pub to continue with all that might be the go.....and that's just the barmaids lol lol
User avatar
Snooz
Posts: 4800
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:05 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Snooz »

Betty Boop;1440523 wrote: Maybe, interestingly though, subscribing members do have a chance to give their opinion on fall outs and to suggest what should happen.

The reality is hardly any members voice their opinions, they stay well clear and all we get are the involved parties arguing amongst themselves :wah:


I frequently voice my opinion but then I'm one of the problem children and my opinion is easily overlooked.

I don't like someone telling me I can't post in a thread unless I have something of value to offer... value in their eyes. So they're apparently the arbiter of all things worthy of discussion. I'm not offended by that but I AM annoyed. It's patronizing and very arrogant.
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1440537 wrote: I frequently voice my opinion but then I'm one of the problem children and my opinion is easily overlooked.

I don't like someone telling me I can't post in a thread unless I have something of value to offer... value in their eyes. So they're apparently the arbiter of all things worthy of discussion. I'm not offended by that but I AM annoyed. It's patronizing and very arrogant.And yet not nearly as arrogant, as well as pretentious I might add, as becoming offended in the first place.

Look, if you're going to continue to throw this "I'm offended" strawman out there then don't throw a conniption when you get called on it. Being offended is not a legitimate argument so give it up.

I suppose all this patriotic nonsense about not talking down about anything American comes from all those years of reciting the pledge every school morning. See how the conditioning works. America got the idea from the Nazis, didn'tchaknow.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1440537 wrote: I frequently voice my opinion but then I'm one of the problem children and my opinion is easily overlooked.Who is it exactly you're accusing of this? Bryn? The man is about as hospitable, tolerant, and understanding as anyone can be in his position. He shows no favoritism, afaict.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1440525 wrote: Personally I think if you are offended it's ok to type out your annoyed response, but then you delete it and leave the computer. Go make a cuppa, have a think, come back to the offensive post re-read it and then respond. Second time around reading it it always seems less offensive and then you hopefully post a more considered response.Excellent advice.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

The mere fact Ahso that you posted this thread and then waited until Snooze posted until you pounced confirms all suspicion that this thread was posted with every Intent of belittling, baiting and flaming.

This thread Is nothing but an excuse to entrap Snooze and Insult her.

The fact that you believe none us us see right through you, Is what Is Insulting.

I am surprised the admin allow you to continue to play these games which are In the FG rules,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

oscar;1440548 wrote: The mere fact Ahso that you posted this thread and then waited until Snooze posted until you pounced confirms all suspicion that this thread was posted with every Intent of belittling, baiting and flaming.

This thread Is nothing but an excuse to entrap Snooze and Insult her.

The fact that you believe none us us see right through you, Is what Is Insulting.

I am surprised the admin allow you to continue to play these games which are In the FG rules,This victimization mentality really needs to cease around here too, ffs. Grow up!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Snooz
Posts: 4800
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:05 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Snooz »

Thank you for not quoting him.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Ahso!;1440549 wrote: This victimization mentality really needs to cease around here too, ffs. Grow up! It's nothing to do with victimisation and In fact, nothing to do with Snooze. It would be glaringly obvious even to David Blunkett exactly what your thread was Intended to do and I would have said the same for any member.

You have written a thread deliberately to entrap Snooze. I am not the one who needs to grow up and I'll leave you here to your own Imaginative little mind. You should have taken gmc's advice In the first post.

You have an awesome day now.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 16499
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

I'm Offended!

Post by Betty Boop »

I have to seriously wonder just WHO is playing games?

Every chance you get Oscar you call out people for belittling, baiting and flaming, why? Is it deflection, it certainly feels like it.

Such continuous accusations are actually beginning to look like an attempt at belittling, baiting and flaming.

Anyhow, I thought you all had Ahso on ignore :-3
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

oscar;1440551 wrote: It's nothing to do with victimisation and In fact, nothing to do with Snooze. It would be glaringly obvious even to David Blunkett exactly what your thread was Intended to do and I would have said the same for any member.

You have written a thread deliberately to entrap Snooze. I am not the one who needs to grow up and I'll leave you here to your own Imaginative little mind. You should have taken gmc's advice In the first post.

You have an awesome day now.Okay, JJ.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1440550 wrote: Thank you for not quoting him.Yeah, it makes it sound slightly legitimate that way to anyone who can't follow a conversation, doesn't it. Oh, wait a minute, that would describe Oscar, wouldn't it.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

Seriously Osky, where did you get the mind reading abilities?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 16499
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

I'm Offended!

Post by Betty Boop »

Ok, enough of the PERSONAL insults now any more and I'll lock the thread up overnight until everyone has realised this is not worth it.
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

I thought we were having fun. I was at least, mixed in with some seriousness, of course.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1440525 wrote: Personally I think if you are offended it's ok to type out your annoyed response, but then you delete it and leave the computer. Go make a cuppa, have a think, come back to the offensive post re-read it and then respond. Second time around reading it it always seems less offensive and then you hopefully post a more considered response.
Ahso!;1440545 wrote: Excellent advice.I should add that this works unless you get quoted too quickly. People who debate seriously quote before they read so a post can't be amended. I've gotten caught that way. It sucks! But it teaches you to be careful the first time around too.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Bruv »

Bruv;1440527 wrote: Those long drawn out battles with poking tongues, hair pulling, hissy fits, name calling etc.etc. may be solved if it were possible to impose a 'time out' on the offending members, an hour or so might be enough.


I am walking away.........I just can't be assed
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1440560 wrote: I am walking away.........I just can't be assedAre you offended? :)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

Here's an idea we can use the thread for. Let's see who we can offend best. I'll go first.

Brits are a bunch of socialists. (sorry, that's the best I've got for now - perhaps because I have British roots).

French women are a bunch of nymphomaniacs. (getting better?)

People from India are dotheads.

Here's one: America Sucks! That ought to raise some steam. No? (I don't really mean it, of course)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

I used to have a laugh that Jester would become offended when I would spell America like Dubya pronounced it - Amurica! Jester would have fits. Poor guy! He would say he wanted to throw me off the Golden Gate Bridge. :wah:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bruv;1440560 wrote: I am walking away.........I just can't be assed


You can be assed and I'll be ahmed. lol Hee heehee hee heee hee.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Ahso!;1440563 wrote: I used to have a laugh that Jester would become offended when I would spell America like Dubya pronounced it - Amurica! Jester would have fits. Poor guy! He would say he wanted to throw me off the Golden Gate Bridge. :wah:


I thought you were an American. ??????? Where abouts do you hail from then?

Jester was extremely patriotic and only hung out with other extremely patriotic people. ............We all have our religions.
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1440561 wrote: Are you offended? :)


Frustrated by the sillyness of my fellow man.......would be a better discription.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1440575 wrote: Frustrated by the sillyness of my fellow man.......would be a better discription.Aw, lighten up! Threads like this are multi purpose: they address a real issue, permit some silliness and offer some ribbing to boot. I think it's been a total success thus far.

Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

I thought your earlier contribution was excellent But don't be afraid to have some fun and get a bit dirty. That's what play time is.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1440576 wrote: Aw, lighten up!
Moi ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by Ahso! »

fuzzywuzzy;1440566 wrote: I thought you were an American. ??????? Where abouts do you hail from then?

Jester was extremely patriotic and only hung out with other extremely patriotic people. ............We all have our religions.I am American. Jester and his gang of merry patriots accepted me at first because I'm a veteran. However, when Jester et el saw I wasn't going to get in line, toe the line and drink the cool aid he began to become hostile towards me. Jester wanted to be the forum commander of vets. That's not me though and he didn't like that one bit.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Jester was had wisdom, Intelligence, knowledge but above all else, Jester was a Gentleman. He was very much liked here especially by the ladies and we all wish he'd return. We miss him. :-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Snooz
Posts: 4800
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:05 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Snooz »

Was Jester FarRider? Because FarRider threatened to kill me if he ever met me. No joke. He also said women shouldn't be in the military, they should be home with the children. He was also a homophobe.

He was no gentleman, regardless how many of the ladies here liked him.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

SnoozeAgain;1440590 wrote: Was Jester FarRider? Because FarRider threatened to kill me if he ever met me. No joke. He also said women shouldn't be in the military, they should be home with the children. He was also a homophobe.

He was no gentleman, regardless how many of the ladies here liked him. I don't go that far back..... I liked him and never had any trouble from him. We even used to e mail each other and I also liked his son ' Hoss '.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Snowfire
Posts: 4835
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Snowfire »

SnoozeAgain;1440590 wrote: Was Jester FarRider? Because FarRider threatened to kill me if he ever met me. No joke. He also said women shouldn't be in the military, they should be home with the children. He was also a homophobe.

He was no gentleman, regardless how many of the ladies here liked him.


I go that far back. I can attest to that
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
User avatar
Snooz
Posts: 4800
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:05 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Snooz »

Horrible man and about as unChrist-like as anyone I can imagine.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

SnoozeAgain;1440594 wrote: Horrible man and about as unChrist-like as anyone I can imagine. I joined after he was Far Rider... wish I'd known the history back then.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Snowfire
Posts: 4835
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Snowfire »

Very homophobic, he carried his bible under his arm and a concubine of adoring women, whenever he posted here. Not many met up his standard. I probably didnt fight in enough wars or shoot enough muslims to come close to meeting his approval. I'm sure he was a good family man but women definitely had "their place"
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snowfire;1440601 wrote: Very homophobic, he carried his bible under his arm and a concubine of adoring women, whenever he posted here. Not many met up his standard. I probably didnt fight in enough wars or shoot enough muslims to come close to meeting his approval. I'm sure he was a good family man but women definitely had "their place" Wish I'd known.... I'd not have offered to share a pot of Lipton's and a lightly buttered scone with him... Threatening Snooze.... I'd have tracked him down.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Snowfire
Posts: 4835
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1440602 wrote: Wish I'd known.... I'd not have offered to share a pot of Lipton's and a lightly buttered scone with him... Threatening Snooze.... I'd have tracked him down.


Not sure he was a buttered scone type of fella. More of plate of pork and beans and a pot of permanently boiling coffee by the fire sort
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
User avatar
LarsMac
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Far Out, Man

I'm Offended!

Post by LarsMac »

I'm glad I missed him. I'm a vet too, but I think I have more in common with AHSO! than with this guy.

There's a scary thought, huh?
Control is an illusion. The Chaos is all part of the fun.
-Susan Hattie Steinsapir
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I like buttered scones but I prefer Twinings to Lipton. English Breakfast is my first choice & I don't care for Earl Grey, which was my husband's first choice.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

AnneBoleyn;1440610 wrote: I like buttered scones but I prefer Twinings to Lipton. English Breakfast is my first choice & I don't care for Earl Grey, which was my husband's first choice. I tend to favour the Northern breakfast of a morning... a coffee and a packet of ciggs.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
AnneBoleyn
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm Offended!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

oscar;1440611 wrote: I tend to favour the Northern breakfast of a morning... a coffee and a packet of ciggs.


Sounds like my former self. Now it's just the coffee, my favorite beverage of choice.
User avatar
Snooz
Posts: 4800
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:05 am

I'm Offended!

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1440606 wrote: I'm glad I missed him. I'm a vet too, but I think I have more in common with AHSO! than with this guy.

There's a scary thought, huh?


I was in the wrong branch of the service (AF), the wrong sex and the wrong career (medical). But his daring exploits in special ops, then a body guard for high ranking foreign nationals, then the owner of a large horse ranch and finally finding out he ran a business that changed out oil/grease for restaurants made me wonder if some of his background might have been fudged just a tad. :thinking:
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

I'm Offended!

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1440585 wrote: I am American. Jester and his gang of merry patriots accepted me at first because I'm a veteran. However, when Jester et el saw I wasn't going to get in line, toe the line and drink the cool aid he began to become hostile towards me. Jester wanted to be the forum commander of vets. That's not me though and he didn't like that one bit.


From the north east I see. Could you be the secret geordie american? I am now stuck with this image of you sitting sipping your Newcastle brown ale in your vest with a hanky round your head while you type at the computer

posted by bettyboop.

Every chance you get Oscar you call out people for belittling, baiting and flaming, why? Is it deflection, it certainly feels like it. I'm sure one of the posters on this thread acused me of attacking his religion on one occasion. Quite an achievement since I didn't actually know what their religion was.

Such continuous accusations are actually beginning to look like an attempt at belittling, baiting and flaming.


Her brain has been addled by reading the daily mail - you are talking there about a paper that has articles about the moral decline of society alongside articles that are basically "hey guys look at the tits on this one". You get more intellectual content in the beano. You need to make allowances for her.

Now why is it oscar and I can trade insults like that without taking particular offence at each others insults? Is it because we are british and taking the piss is a great british tradition or we simply view it as good fun. I don't know and don't really care

She's a fascist - a member of what was the british nazi party that's why many of her posts are racist I disagree with most of what she says for that reason alone.

I remember jester and far rider as well. They/he was good fun because his opinions were so different he did take offence till I got through to him that it wasn't personal. How could it be since I didn't know anything about him. We ended up agreeing to disagree. You don't need to win every discussion sometimes mutual respect is enough.

posted by ahso

Oftentimes people become offended by something they read into a sentence and not what's actually being said. I think the offended often can't contribute to the subject and attempt to add to it by voicing their offense. They need to understand though that that is indeed derailing the conversation, especially if the complaint is ongoing.




Good point. I would also add they seem sometimes to completely miss the point of a discussion forum. I have seen threads derailed because someone chips in saying one poster should have his views respected and not be "attacked" by those who do not share his/her opinion completely failing to notivce the protagonists are enjoying themselves. If that's the case - if you think that no one should be disagreed with in case it hurts their feelings - what are you doing in a discussion forum?

posted by ahso

Put your money where your mouth is and initiate one.


Throw the dummy out the pram thread? How about that for a title. I'm not actually interested in such a thread. Let the numpties talk to each other I don't want to take part.

Return to “Recovery Forum”