World Cup 2018 Russia

Discuss all types of sports.
Clodhopper

World Cup 2018 Russia

Post by Clodhopper »

I had a visit from my somewhat Russian friend. He told me two little stories relating to the world cup that might be of amusement:

1) The bids for this world cup went in 5 years ago. Putin started building the stadia 6 years ago...(they needed new stadia - the Russian football federation did not have ones that were up to standard and no way would Putin have spent the money unless he KNEW they would be needed)

2) Why has this World Cup been so lacking in trouble? Putin went on national tv before the event and made a speech where he said that Russia was hosting a very prestigious tournament and if ANY Russian caused embarrassment to the country in any way he, personally, would destroy them. Apparently he is completely believed and if anyone HAD been extrajudicially shot for, say, robbing a tourist then even his own relatives would shrug and say, "Retard."
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

World Cup 2018 Russia

Post by Bruv »

Good story, but the country hosting the cup gets more than 5 years notice.

We know already who is hosting the 2026 cup, America, Canada, and Mexico.

And we have known for some time Qatar is to host 2022 controversially.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Clodhopper

World Cup 2018 Russia

Post by Clodhopper »

I don't vouch for the accuracy of either story :) Apart from anything else they are now at least 3rd hand and across a language with all the opportunities for Chinese whispers-style mistakes that gives and neither he nor I are footie fans.

But they are apparently what Russians are saying.

My friend is (if I've got it right) Russian by birth and upbringing in his early years but because the USSR was something of a melting pot for the East he has Serbian and Lithuanian relatives and was able to get an EU passport which got him over here to study. His Mum still lives over there somewhere. His Dad was murdered in the troubles that followed the collapse of the USSR which were nastier than I had ever realised. His Mum grabbed him and fled from Russia to her Lithuanian relatives and that's how he ended up with the Lithuanian/EU passport. His Mum went back to Russia when things calmed down, I think.

I've learned from him that the main reason Putin is popular over there is that it was Putin who got things working again after things had collapsed to the point of widespread anarchy: they generally appreciate that he isn't perfect but think the alternative that he pulled them from is worse. There is an opposition but Putin is an expert at keeping it ineffective. Things like successfully interfering with other country's elections or hosting a World Cup are giving the Russian people a sense of pride in their country's power again after a really dreadful time. He won't be shifted until he chooses or more likely, dies, would be my guess.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Wide World of Sports”