David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Discuss all types of sports.
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by jones jones »

"Manchester United to SACK David Moyes." from Mirror online.



Just had to happen I guess. Following Goliath was always gonna be a tough, almost impossible task for a manager like David Moyes.

Well its an "ill wind" and all that because the team I follow, Everton, are going from strength to strength under Roberto Martinez.

However I must say I was disappointed by the Goodison fans treatment of Moyes.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15918
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1452175 wrote: "Manchester United to SACK David Moyes." from Mirror online.



Just had to happen I guess. Following Goliath was always gonna be a tough, almost impossible task for a manager like David Moyes.

Well its an "ill wind" and all that because the team I follow, Everton, are going from strength to strength under Roberto Martinez.

However I must say I was disappointed by the Goodison fans treatment of Moyes.


When it happens remind me and I'll comment.
User avatar
Lady J
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Lady J »

jones jones;1452175 wrote: "Manchester United to SACK David Moyes." from Mirror online.



Just had to happen I guess. Following Goliath was always gonna be a tough, almost impossible task for a manager like David Moyes.

Well its an "ill wind" and all that because the team I follow, Everton, are going from strength to strength under Roberto Martinez.

However I must say I was disappointed by the Goodison fans treatment of Moyes.


Manchester United to SACK David Moyes as board lose patience after disastrous first season at Old Trafford - Mirror Online

:yh_wink
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by jones jones »

Bryn Mawr;1452197 wrote: When it happens remind me and I'll comment.


This is your reminder service sir ... Please comment.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Bruv »

jones jones;1452258 wrote: This is your reminder service sir ... Please comment.


You either know a lot about the British Premier League or you have powers beyond comprehension.

Meet the site's new clairvoyant people.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
Snowfire
Posts: 4835
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1452261 wrote: You either know a lot about the British Premier League or you have powers beyond comprehension.

Meet the site's new clairvoyant people.


'e's gawn
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1452266 wrote: 'e's gawn


Who......JJ ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
Snowfire
Posts: 4835
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1452273 wrote: Who......JJ ?


No, Alex's mate, Dave. Not in the British All Star Soccer League anymore.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by gmc »

jones jones;1452175 wrote: "Manchester United to SACK David Moyes." from Mirror online.



Just had to happen I guess. Following Goliath was always gonna be a tough, almost impossible task for a manager like David Moyes.

Well its an "ill wind" and all that because the team I follow, Everton, are going from strength to strength under Roberto Martinez.

However I must say I was disappointed by the Goodison fans treatment of Moyes.


David and Goliath methinks you have forgotten who won that mythical contest.
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1452278 wrote: No, Alex's mate, Dave. Not in the British All Star Soccer League anymore.


There is no god.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15918
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1452258 wrote: This is your reminder service sir ... Please comment.


It's a sad day - I recall when Mr. Ferguson took over it was a couple of years before he started to see success. It was always going to take time for any new manager to remould the team to play his way and no-one could try to run the team by second guessing the way Sir Alex would do things.
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by jones jones »

Bryn Mawr;1452319 wrote: It's a sad day - I recall when Mr. Ferguson took over it was a couple of years before he started to see success. It was always going to take time for any new manager to remould the team to play his way and no-one could try to run the team by second guessing the way Sir Alex would do things.


Personally I think the main problem was/is that David Moyes is not a manager ... he's a coach.

Traditionally a manager manages. He will handle transfers, contracts, routines, match days ... a coach just coaches, he's more involved with the physical training of the players.

Unfortunately David Moyes made mistakes not least of which was the poaching of

Marouane Fellaini from Everton, albeit for a fee of $27.5m. It became apparent very soon that while the Belgium was quite a star at Goodison Park, he was totally out of his depth at Old Trafford where Moyes had him playing a totally different role.

After this blunder and with $200m rumoured to be available to the Manchester United manager for player purchases this summer, there was no way an amount like this was going to be entrusted to David Moyes.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15918
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1452368 wrote: Personally I think the main problem was/is that David Moyes is not a manager ... he's a coach.

Traditionally a manager manages. He will handle transfers, contracts, routines, match days ... a coach just coaches, he's more involved with the physical training of the players.

Unfortunately David Moyes made mistakes not least of which was the poaching of

Marouane Fellaini from Everton, albeit for a fee of $27.5m. It became apparent very soon that while the Belgium was quite a star at Goodison Park, he was totally out of his depth at Old Trafford where Moyes had him playing a totally different role.

After this blunder and with $200m rumoured to be available to the Manchester United manager for player purchases this summer, there was no way an amount like this was going to be entrusted to David Moyes.


Remember, he was specifically chosen by Sir Alex as a direct replacement - I would be very surprised if he would have made such a fundamental mistake as to pick a man for the wrong role.

the ManU players have been drilled in a system the Sir Alex has had a unique opportunity to evolve having a stable environment at a top flight club for so many years. There is bound to be a degree of culture shock on both sides when a new manager with a different style comes in.
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by jones jones »

Bryn Mawr;1452394 wrote: Remember, he was specifically chosen by Sir Alex as a direct replacement - I would be very surprised if he would have made such a fundamental mistake as to pick a man for the wrong role.

the ManU players have been drilled in a system the Sir Alex has had a unique opportunity to evolve having a stable environment at a top flight club for so many years. There is bound to be a degree of culture shock on both sides when a new manager with a different style comes in.


You're correct of course, but did Sir Alex just throw him in at the deep end then?

Surely he should have spent more time guiding Moyes.

I have heard it said that the first thing Moyes should have done was get rid of the guy who is now caretaker coach ... Ryan Giggs.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15918
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1452397 wrote: You're correct of course, but did Sir Alex just throw him in at the deep end then?

Surely he should have spent more time guiding Moyes.

I have heard it said that the first thing Moyes should have done was get rid of the guy who is now caretaker coach ... Ryan Giggs.


What could he have done? Until Moyes had left Everton he could not work with him but once he'd signed for ManU he had to be used - I doubt he'd have signed as Assistant Coach, even to Sir Alex.
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

David (Moyes) and Goliath (Sir Alex).

Post by jones jones »

Bryn Mawr;1452411 wrote: What could he have done? Until Moyes had left Everton he could not work with him but once he'd signed for ManU he had to be used - I doubt he'd have signed as Assistant Coach, even to Sir Alex.


Yeah I feel for Moyes ... Personally I was surprised when he was chosen to succeed Sir Alex. Okay maybe it was a Scot/Scot kinda choice. Me? I would have looked to Europe for a manager ...

For the record ... Ryan Giggs ain't gonna crack it nor any other ex-Man United player. Ask me ... I know.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

Return to “Wide World of Sports”