Compulsory Sport

Discuss all types of sports.
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

Post by Oscar Namechange »

David Cameron backs compulsory competitive sports for primary students | Education | guardian.co.uk

David Cameron riding on a high of National pride from our medal winning athlete's wants sport now compulsory In schools.

All very well until you take this Into consideration.

One in five children is obese by the end of primary school, NHS figures show | Society | guardian.co.uk

Isn't It all too little too late?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Compulsory Sport

Post by spot »

oscar;1400388 wrote: Isn't It all too little too late?

Umm.

Why?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Compulsory Sport

Post by Betty Boop »

Sport is compulsory in all schools. What isn't compulsory is 'competitive' sports. Someone did away with that years ago in the drive for allowing every child to feel a winner.

I hated all sports at school, and I wasn't fat for not really participating fully.

It's time schools sorted out sports that suit individual needs, let those compete that enjoy it and want to, let the others explore other avenues of exercise whilst teaching them about calorie intake and what a lack of exercise does for you.

Think about your classmates years ago, how many were larger than average in each year you went through. I don't think the 'one in five' is actually far off what it was in previous generations.
spot

Compulsory Sport

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1400394 wrote: how many were larger than average in each year you went through.I suspect the official definition of obese is a bit heavier than "larger than average". In my class of thirty there were two.

Given that "One in five children is obese by the end of primary school", "David Cameron backs compulsory competitive sports for primary students" doesn't seem "too little too late" in the slightest, it sounds timely.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Compulsory Sport

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1400397 wrote: I suspect the official definition of obese is a bit heavier than "larger than average".

Given that "One in five children is obese by the end of primary school", "David Cameron backs compulsory competitive sports for primary students" doesn't seem "too little too late" in the slightest, it sounds timely.

ok pedant, when I was in year six at primary we were a class of 28, there were six children that were large, who would be considered obese. There were another three who may have been considered borderline, the rest of us would probably have been considered underweight :wah:

Forced sports that you hate makes life miserable, I would have done anything, broken my own arm or leg to get out of hockey, athletics etc but I would have happily played netball, tennis or badminton every day. My son's the same, not got an ounce of co-ordination but he's forced to go out and play team sports where no one wants him on their team cos he's hopeless at it. There needs to be choice and exploration of what activity suits each individual. Also, in year six my son was overweight, puppy fat I reckon as within two years he's as skinny as a rake, and he's not suddenly exercising :wah:
Bruv

Compulsory Sport

Post by Bruv »

It has bugger all to do with obesity, although it might help.

Learning to lose is part of education for life.

Sport is character building, competition is healthy.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

Bruv;1400406 wrote: It has bugger all to do with obesity, although it might help.

Sport is character building, competition is healthy. I agree with that. Sport encourages team work also. We live In a namby pamby world now where a kid's feelings must not be hurt because he lost at something.

I had a lot of sport at my school and I had tennis lessons evenings. There were those I loved like Netball, Lacrosse etc but I did hate the field athletics such as high jump, running, Javelin etc. It was tough lighting a cigg during those.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Compulsory Sport

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1400406 wrote: It has bugger all to do with obesity, although it might help.

Sport is character building, competition is healthy.

Obesity stems from the crap processed food and carbonated drinks everyone consumes. Myself, my sister and one of my friends are the only people I know who don't open the freezer every single mealtime to produce a meal. We actually cook real meat and vegetables from scratch. My sister and I even bake.

I'll agree to disagree with you on the competition is healthy bit. It's not when you're the last one to be picked for teams cos everyone knows your crap. It's not fun to join a team with them groaning that they got landed with you, it doesn't spur you on to try your best it spurs you on to feeling useless and not bothering.

I'm just remembering now all the days I seriously considered bunking off on PE days, I did once and got caught :wah: so then I turned to badgering my parents all the time for a sick note to get me off PE. Had quite a system going, one week you ask your Dad, the next you ask your Mum, they soon realised what was going on :wah:
Lady J

Compulsory Sport

Post by Lady J »

I always loved competition sports...but then again I am one who strives to win.:-6

I hear what Betty is saying...not everyone is cut out for sports or even more competitive sports. I think pushing those children into that arena would only alienate them more. Perhaps dance classes for the artistic ones...or a 15 minute break of jumping jacks for the writer's club....to stimulate the mind as well as the body. Even thou GB may be riding hide on their presences and winnings is not a reason to force all children into competitive sports.

I also feel that too many children today are allowed to sit and work out their thumbs and forefingers playing video games; something that was not available when most of us were growing up. and I would go as far to blame the parents...that is if any one is looking to post blame.

Back to topic....David Cameron "who is under fire for scrapping a target for pupils to do two hours of sport a week, said the new requirement would be included in the revised national curriculum."

I find him wish-washy..

Don't fret....he is much like the Powers here.

There you have it.....my two cents.
koan

Compulsory Sport

Post by koan »

School based "physical education" classes taught my daughter, who gained adolescent weight around the time of my divorce, to detest her body. I pulled her from high school PE and put her in a self directed independent course in which she had to take a personal interest in her fitness and how she achieved it. She got 95% instead of 70% and she now has a beautiful figure and maintains a personal fitness regimen that public education had shamed her out of.
Betty Boop

Compulsory Sport

Post by Betty Boop »

koan;1400425 wrote: School based "physical education" classes taught my daughter, who gained adolescent weight around the time of my divorce, to detest her body. I pulled her from high school PE and put her in a self directed independent course in which she had to take a personal interest in her fitness and how she achieved it. She got 95% instead of 70% and she now has a beautiful figure and maintains a personal fitness regimen that public education had shamed her out of.

That's what schools need, along with changing rooms that contain cubicles, one of the worst parts of games was getting changed in one room with all the girls being nasty about who had a bra, who didn't, who was considered fat, who had spots on their back or even who had eczema on their bodies. Even worse was being forced through communal showers afterwards. Whoever thinks this is a good way to treat teens going through puberty wants their head testing, it does nothing at all for self confidence.
theia

Compulsory Sport

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1400429 wrote: That's what schools need, along with changing rooms that contain cubicles, one of the worst parts of games was getting changed in one room with all the girls being nasty about who had a bra, who didn't, who was considered fat, who had spots on their back or even who had eczema on their bodies. Even worse was being forced through communal showers afterwards. Whoever thinks this is a good way to treat teens going through puberty wants their head testing, it does nothing at all for self confidence.

I second that wholeheartedly
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

Lady J;1400416 wrote: I always loved competition sports...but then again I am one who strives to win.:-6

I hear what Betty is saying...not everyone is cut out for sports or even more competitive sports. I think pushing those children into that arena would only alienate them more. Perhaps dance classes for the artistic ones...or a 15 minute break of jumping jacks for the writer's club....to stimulate the mind as well as the body. Even thou GB may be riding hide on their presences and winnings is not a reason to force all children into competitive sports.

I also feel that too many children today are allowed to sit and work out their thumbs and forefingers playing video games; something that was not available when most of us were growing up. and I would go as far to blame the parents...that is if any one is looking to post blame.

Back to topic....David Cameron "who is under fire for scrapping a target for pupils to do two hours of sport a week, said the new requirement would be included in the revised national curriculum."

I find him wish-washy..

Don't fret....he is much like the Powers here.

There you have it.....my two cents.

Best post so far.

I was the same as you. I was competitive but even the field athletics that I loathed, I did my best and strived to win.

Cameron can't make his mind up. He's riding on a high of National pride right now. It Is all rather too little too late because this country has been cutting sport spending even selling off school sports fields. Suddenly, because we have won medals on home ground, there Is a surge of popularity and I fear It could be no more than a flash In the pan. It's a little like for Instance, during Wimbledon weeks, everyone takes to a tennis court. During the world cup, you see kids playing football everywhere.

Sport In any country to produce medal standards every four years needs a mindset. Some countries have this mindset and Invest Into It. We do not. We have suddenly got all excited because team GB happens to have done rather well. Due to government cuts, some schools scratch round for the bare essentials for equipment for those who do want to persue a sport. After the systematic winding down from Government of compulsory sport In our schools, this would now need a massive fiscal Injection when we are In a double dip recession and when I suspect that 8 weeks from now, you'll be able to buy team GB shirts for 50p In the bargain basement section of the local store because Interest has waned.
spot

Compulsory Sport

Post by spot »

oscar;1400449 wrote: Some countries have this mindset and Invest Into It. We do not.
I don't know where you think all that Lottery money's gone over the last fifteen years - of course the country invests heavily in sport, where do you think this Olympic third place has come from. What we don't do is invest heavily in sports at school because it would be a relative waste of resources if the end result is meant to be Olympic performance.
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

spot;1400455 wrote: I don't know where you think all that Lottery money's gone over the last fifteen years - of course the country invests heavily in sport, where do you think this Olympic third place has come from. What we don't do is invest heavily in sports at school because it would be a relative waste of resources if the end result is meant to be Olympic performance.

I do not wish to engage with you. Please refrain from quoting me.
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

LED Lighting News » Blog Archive » School playing field sell-offs continue to rise

Our gold medal boxer at one time could find no one to sponsor her.

The gist of this thread Is about Government Investment Into school sport NOT outside Investment such as lottery. I am talking about GOVERNMENT Investment.
Bruv

Compulsory Sport

Post by Bruv »

I was a wheezy asthmatic as a child, at Primary school we all had to trial at boxing.

I got one poke on the end of my nose, my eyes and mouth watered uncontrollably and I was discarded as a future boxer.

Moving up, we had options at Big school, none of which was to my choosing, I wasn't into football, rugby, hockey or athletics, but I was good in the water. Seeing off all the big lads who didn't like their faces getting wet (the pansies).

Sport, like any form of education is largely down to finding and engaging the interest of the pupil and getting the best out them, and making it enjoyable.

I also came good in distance running, all the flash footballers couldn't maintain a steady pace,while I just started slow and kept an even pace throughout, gaining some admiration from them.

I am sure there is a physical activity suited for every school aged child, whether it is BMX, running or a team sport, there are many of those that could be adopted.

It is a cliche, but it isn't about the winning, learning to lose is a good lesson for life.
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

Bruv;1400462 wrote: I was a wheezy asthmatic as a child, at Primary school we all had to trial at boxing.

I got one poke on the end of my nose, my eyes and mouth watered uncontrollably and I was discarded as a future boxer.

Moving up, we had options at Big school, none of which was to my choosing, I wasn't into football, rugby, hockey or athletics, but I was good in the water. Seeing off all the big lads who didn't like their faces getting wet (the pansies).

Sport, like any form of education is largely down to finding and engaging the interest of the pupil and getting the best out them, and making it enjoyable.

I also came good in distance running, all the flash footballers couldn't maintain a steady pace,while I just started slow and kept an even pace throughout, gaining some admiration from them.

I am sure there is a physical activity suited for every school aged child, whether it is BMX, running or a team sport, there are many of those that could be adopted.

It is a cliche, but it isn't about the winning, learning to lose is a good lesson for life. It boils down to a god PE teacher.

I wasn't pushed for the events I didn't like except for school sports day but I was encouraged In the sports I liked and showed an Interest In. Any PE teacher worth his/her salt will not try to force a child Into something they loathe. Any one who has experienced that should be looking to the teacher not the Ideal as a whole.
Bruv

Compulsory Sport

Post by Bruv »

So any investment should be at the lowest level, Teachers first.

That is where the competitiveness should be, chucking out the lesser teachers
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

Bruv;1400467 wrote: So any investment should be at the lowest level, Teachers first.

That is where the competitiveness should be, chucking out the lesser teachers I'm just saying a teacher worth his salt will encourage where needed and not push when loathed. That's the difference between children loving or loathing sport.
gmc

Compulsory Sport

Post by gmc »

If there was a gold medal for being a pillock cameron would have very stiff competition to face.
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

gmc;1400534 wrote: If there was a gold medal for being a pillock cameron would have very stiff competition to face. Clegg would take Gold. Cameron Silver and Vince Cable Bronze
Snowfire

Compulsory Sport

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1400657 wrote: Clegg would take Gold. Cameron Silver and Vince Cable Bronze

Blair and Brown held the World Record for so long there's very little contest anymore.

Although I've got a lot of time for Great Uncle Vince
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Compulsory Sport

Snowfire;1400659 wrote: Blair and Brown held the World Record for so long there's very little contest anymore.

Although I've got a lot of time for Great Uncle Vince Yeah I got a soft spot for Cable.... A bog

Return to “Wide World of Sports”