Help out a new golfer

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

I purchased myself a set of used golf clubs, which are very nice, and I'm setting up a tee time within a few weeks time.

I've been to the driving ranges and have to say that I do fairly well but I'd also like to ask if anyone has some advice for a new golfer.

Anyone had good experiences with a particular seller on ebay for instance? I suppose I'd like to find a big bag of used golf balls as I don't want to buy new ones.

Anyone know of a good series of video lessons?

I have a Callaway Great Big Bertha II (10 degree loft) is that a good driver?
YZGI

Help out a new golfer

Post by YZGI »

K.Snyder;1394965 wrote: I purchased myself a set of used golf clubs, which are very nice, and I'm setting up a tee time within a few weeks time.

I've been to the driving ranges and have to say that I do fairly well but I'd also like to ask if anyone has some advice for a new golfer.

Anyone had good experiences with a particular seller on ebay for instance? I suppose I'd like to find a big bag of used gold balls as I don't want to buy new ones.

Good driver, Doing well at the driving range doesn't always convert to doing well on the course. Working on your short game i.e. putting, chipping is crucial for doing okay as a beginner. You can make a bad drive or iron shot and make it up by putting well on the green. As far as balls, any pro shop will have buckets of used balls for sale on the cheap. Good luck with your new addiction.LOL
LarsMac

Help out a new golfer

Post by LarsMac »

Yes, the Calloway is a good driver.

Take an actual lesson, with a personal trainer.

Probably cost you 60-100 bucks

You need to have that physical training to get a good basic swing.

Once you have the mechanics, the rest is practice. Consistency is the key.

Then find a guy who has experience in the game to go play with. Listen to his advice.

Don't take it too seriously. Have fun, and be willing to make mistakes.

There is a seller on eBay called mggolf. good product and prices.

The bag of used balls is a good idea.

Go around to the second-hand stores and such, or hire a kid to go hunt for balls around the local clubs.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

YZGI;1394967 wrote: Good driver, Doing well at the driving range doesn't always convert to doing well on the course. Working on your short game i.e. putting, chipping is crucial for doing okay as a beginner. You can make a bad drive or iron shot and make it up by putting well on the green. As far as balls, any pro shop will have buckets of used balls for sale on the cheap. Good luck with your new addiction.LOLYes, I seem to get this same advice from many. There's a local golf course not far from here that allows practicing your short game for a fee, I think I'll give that a go actually before I head off to the course play, thank you
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1394968 wrote: Yes, the Calloway is a good driver.

Take an actual lesson, with a personal trainer.

Probably cost you 60-100 bucks

You need to have that physical training to get a good basic swing.

Once you have the mechanics, the rest is practice. Consistency is the key.

Then find a guy who has experience in the game to go play with. Listen to his advice.

Don't take it too seriously. Have fun, and be willing to make mistakes.

There is a seller on eBay called mggolf. good product and prices.

The bag of used balls is a good idea.

Go around to the second-hand stores and such, or hire a kid to go hunt for balls around the local clubs.My next door neighbor is the retired golf coach from the university here, he's the one that recommended the clubs as a starter kit. I'm not so sure he's up to play much anymore but perhaps he may give me some pointers. If of course I can catch him when he's not mowing his lawn. You should see this man's grass, it looks more comfortable than my bed.

I'll give mggolf a visit...

Anyone know of a good pair of golf spikes that are comfortable and not too pricy?
Lon

Help out a new golfer

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1394965 wrote: I purchased myself a set of used golf clubs, which are very nice, and I'm setting up a tee time within a few weeks time.

Anyone had good experiences with a particular seller on ebay for instance? I suppose I'd like to find a big bag of used golf balls as I don't want to buy new ones.

I have the same Big Bertha II with a 10 degree loft and have used it quite successfully for the past eight years. I love the club and will not change. BTW. I bought it used online from Callaway.

There is a tendency for new golfers to go to the Range and practice hitting the driver, and oh boy is it fun to CREAM those tee shots, but good scoring comes from the short game (pitching and putting). I carry a 18 handicap now and the best handicap for me was a four when I was in my late 30's. I was quite content with that because I never ever played more than 72 holes a month and never practiced (hate practice). Age takes it's toll on all of us old duffers.

Just 10 years ago I was using a 7 iron for 160 yds and now I use a 5 wood or three iron. Just finished 9 holes about one hour ago and shot four over par.

Enjoy the game and keep your cool----it's almost more mental than physical. Oh----skip the video and take a few lessons from a good Pro.
Lon

Help out a new golfer

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1394978 wrote: My next door neighbor is the retired golf coach from the university here, he's the one that recommended the clubs as a starter kit. I'm not so sure he's up to play much anymore but perhaps he may give me some pointers. If of course I can catch him when he's not mowing his lawn. You should see this man's grass, it looks more comfortable than my bed.

I'll give mggolf a visit...

Anyone know of a good pair of golf spikes that are comfortable and not too pricy?

Forget the spiked shoes and go the tennie route. Most courses have banned steel spikes and have gone to soft spikes or tennis shoes. I prefer the tennis shoes for stability.
Oscar Namechange

Help out a new golfer

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Dear Kevvy Wevvy Woo,

I think you are supposed to hit a small white ball Into a small hole with a stick.

Hope this helps,

Lots of Luv,

Oscar xxxx
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Help out a new golfer

Post by LarsMac »

Lon;1394995 wrote: Forget the spiked shoes and go the tennie route. Most courses have banned steel spikes and have gone to soft spikes or tennis shoes. I prefer the tennis shoes for stability.

Agree. I have a pair of New Balance 857 shoes that I wear strictly for golf.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1394995 wrote: Forget the spiked shoes and go the tennie route. Most courses have banned steel spikes and have gone to soft spikes or tennis shoes. I prefer the tennis shoes for stability.Thanks for the advice above my comp froze earlier

Anyway, I read that soft spikes were required on some courses but now I'm realizing that this is a ban on steel spikes as opposed to regular shoes.

Ok a nice comfortable pair of shoes will due check
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1394997 wrote: Dear Kevvy Wevvy Woo,

I think you are supposed to hit a small white ball Into a small hole with a stick.

Hope this helps,

Lots of Luv,

Oscar xxxxThere it is boys. Time to close up shop :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

How about this "tee time" thing, do I have to schedule a tee time? What is it a guarantee that we play at the specified time?
LarsMac

Help out a new golfer

Post by LarsMac »

IT means that that time is reserved for you to be teeing off the first hole.

If you don't get there in time to take care of the paperwork and get on the tee box at that time, you can't play.

Unless it's a slow day and no one is scheduled to take the next slot.

Some clubs are down-right nasty about it.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Help out a new golfer

Post by Clodhopper »

As a confirmed unsuccessful golfer, here are a few tips:

1) Train your dog to find your ball. And preferably drop it somewhere nice rather than the ditch/cowpat/housing estate it originally landed in. (nb some opponents get picky about this)

2) Do not take a run up when you drive unless you are out of sight of the Clubhouse.

3) Wear thick clothing and good boots. Forget the dayglo thin woollen jersey and kinky studded shoes. That's for people who aren't going to be learning more about interesting undergrowth than they have since they were kids.

4) Always leave someone with your intended route and ETA. That way, if you are more than a few hours overdue someone can alert the Golf Course Rescue Team who will bravely burst into the Clubhouse and extract you from the Bar.

5) No putt after the third really counts.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1395026 wrote: IT means that that time is reserved for you to be teeing off the first hole.

If you don't get there in time to take care of the paperwork and get on the tee box at that time, you can't play.

Unless it's a slow day and no one is scheduled to take the next slot.

Some clubs are down-right nasty about it.I see. So it's absolutely out of the question to show up with my clubs ready to play with money in hand?
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

Clodhopper;1395031 wrote: As a confirmed unsuccessful golfer, here are a few tips:

1) Train your dog to find your ball. And preferably drop it somewhere nice rather than the ditch/cowpat/housing estate it originally landed in. (nb some opponents get picky about this)

2) Do not take a run up when you drive unless you are out of sight of the Clubhouse.

3) Wear thick clothing and good boots. Forget the dayglo thin woollen jersey and kinky studded shoes. That's for people who aren't going to be learning more about interesting undergrowth than they have since they were kids.

4) Always leave someone with your intended route and ETA. That way, if you are more than a few hours overdue someone can alert the Golf Course Rescue Team who will bravely burst into the Clubhouse and extract you from the Bar.

5) No putt after the third really counts.Google Image Result for http://www.tlga.org/humorworthmore.gif
Oscar Namechange

Help out a new golfer

Post by Oscar Namechange »

K.Snyder;1395023 wrote: There it is boys. Time to close up shop :yh_bigsmi Seriously, I know nothing about golf but I wish you the best In your new sport....
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Help out a new golfer

Post by LarsMac »

K.Snyder;1395051 wrote: I see. So it's absolutely out of the question to show up with my clubs ready to play with money in hand?

Depends on the course. How busy they are and such.

When I lived in the Ozark area, on weekdays we could just roll in and usually get a tee time within a few minutes. Where I live now, it is only when the weather is blizzard conditions, or extreme thunderstorms that you can expect to just walk in.

Call the course and see if they have an opening within your expected arrival window.
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Help out a new golfer

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1395051 wrote: I see. So it's absolutely out of the question to show up with my clubs ready to play with money in hand?

It's about money_______Busy public courses will try to schedule a twosome or foursome off the first tee every 10 minutes if they are using electric golf carts. The course promotes carts in order to speed up play and thus increase revenue. There is a glut of golf courses in the U.S. and many courses are in financial difficulty. They are expensive to maintain and the economy has drastically reduced the number of rounds played at Public Courses. Private clubs are a different matter as they have a fixed membership paying annual dues. Walking or riding, it should take no longer than four hours max for a foursome to play 18 holes of any golf course. Slow players are a pain in the ass and will ruin your tempo.
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1395092 wrote: Seriously, I know nothing about golf but I wish you the best In your new sport....Thank you very much oscy woscy woo :yh_kiss
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1395095 wrote: Depends on the course. How busy they are and such.

When I lived in the Ozark area, on weekdays we could just roll in and usually get a tee time within a few minutes. Where I live now, it is only when the weather is blizzard conditions, or extreme thunderstorms that you can expect to just walk in.

Call the course and see if they have an opening within your expected arrival window.I see. I'll have to give them a call then
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1395117 wrote: It's about money_______Busy public courses will try to schedule a twosome or foursome off the first tee every 10 minutes if they are using electric golf carts. The course promotes carts in order to speed up play and thus increase revenue. There is a glut of golf courses in the U.S. and many courses are in financial difficulty. They are expensive to maintain and the economy has drastically reduced the number of rounds played at Public Courses. Private clubs are a different matter as they have a fixed membership paying annual dues. Walking or riding, it should take no longer than four hours max for a foursome to play 18 holes of any golf course. Slow players are a pain in the ass and will ruin your tempo. 10 minutes per hole with 4 players? Wow

I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be a major pain in the ass
Lon

Help out a new golfer

Post by Lon »

:-3:-3K.Snyder;1395137 wrote: 10 minutes per hole with 4 players? Wow

I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be a major pain in the ass

No-----not 10 minutes per hole------10 minutes between groups teeing off-----there is a difference----18 holes times 10 minutes equals 180 minutes which leaves 60 minutes for screwing around looking for lost balls and other misc. time wasters.:wah:
LarsMac

Help out a new golfer

Post by LarsMac »

I remember my first game. I was sous chef at a brand new country club.

The Food and Beverage manager, the Chef and one of the vendors wanted to play a round, and invited me to fill the foursome.

I shot a 72.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Help out a new golfer

Post by LarsMac »

Then the Chef said,

"Ok, you made par for the course. So, why don't you go on up to the clubhouse and have a beer while we finish the other 17 holes. "
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

I was a landscaper once. I doubt they'd appreciate my audacious, yet effective weed whacking ability
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok, so after giving it some thought I've come to the conclusion that judging distance and knowing which clubs will get me the closest to a predetermined distance is probably one of the most important aspects of golfing(Am I right or am I right, or am I right?).

The best way I can think of atm is to know the exact distance from tee to hole, then sight as close of an estimate as possible to what can be guessed is the halfway point and go from there, no?

What happens when the entire hole is curved and I cannot see the flag?

Should I place a land marker discretely along each hole(for instance a bright colored ribbon in the trees or perhaps a fake deer)? Should I invest in a range spotter scope?

"Yep boys, the hole is 201 yards, and...*squints eyes* 5 feet 10 and 1/8 inches" :yh_eyebro :yh_liar

Attached files
LarsMac

Help out a new golfer

Post by LarsMac »

You could just focus on the flag that marks each hole.
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Help out a new golfer

Post by Lon »

:wah:AK.Snyder;1395329 wrote: Ok, so after giving it some thought I've come to the conclusion that judging distance and knowing which clubs will get me the closest to a predetermined distance is probably one of the most important aspects of golfing(Am I right or am I right, or am I right?).

The best way I can think of atm is to know the exact distance from tee to hole, then sight as close of an estimate as possible to what can be guessed is the halfway point and go from there, no?

What happens when the entire hole is curved and I cannot see the flag?

Should I place a land marker discretely along each hole(for instance a bright colored ribbon in the trees or perhaps a fake deer)? Should I invest in a range spotter scope?

"Yep boys, the hole is 201 yards, and...*squints eyes* 5 feet 10 and 1/8 inches" :yh_eyebro :yh_liar

Most courses will have distance markers either on ( flat plastic discs) or off (stakes) with the distance to the green. All you need to know is how far you can smoothly hit each club and this is determined by going to the driving range and trying each club. As a new golfer and for your age group here is my suggestion. Under 100 yds. Use a pitching wedge or a nine iron, 100 to 130 yds.use a pitching wedge or nine or eight iron. 130 to 170 yds. use a eight, seven, six or five iron. 170 to 200 yds. Use a three, four or five iron. 200 to 245 use a three wood. 245 + use a driver. 275 + use a cannon. :wah:
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1395332 wrote: :wah:A

Most courses will have distance markers either on ( flat plastic discs) or off (stakes) with the distance to the green. All you need to know is how far you can smoothly hit each club and this is determined by going to the driving range and trying each club. As a new golfer and for your age group here is my suggestion. Under 100 yds. Use a pitching wedge or a nine iron, 100 to 130 yds.use a pitching wedge or nine or eight iron. 130 to 170 yds. use a eight, seven, six or five iron. 170 to 200 yds. Use a three, four or five iron. 200 to 245 use a three wood. 245 + use a driver. 275 + use a cannon. :wah:I shall go off to the driving range soon...

Can I find a cannon in the pro shop?

*BOOM*

"Kevin must be playing a round today"

*BOOM*
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok, so I shot the front 9 of a local public course here on Saturday and I thought I did fairly well. I almost made par on the very first hole only to bogey but I blame my lack of experience on judging green speed. I went on to bogey and double bogey the next 4 holes only to hit a couple of sand traps on the following two holes to score triple bogey's.

So everyone is correct that the short game is where the focus needs to be. My drives were very good and center for the most part, although I reserved a bit of power to do so. I knew I would get out of hand if I tried to shoot for power without focusing on staying on the fairway.

Everyone is also correct in that I've already, and blissfully, have fallen in love with the game. It makes for an incredible afternoon.
Bryn Mawr

Help out a new golfer

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1396823 wrote: Ok, so I shot the front 9 of a local public course here on Saturday and I thought I did fairly well. I almost made par on the very first hole only to bogey but I blame my lack of experience on judging green speed. I went on to bogey and double bogey the next 4 holes only to hit a couple of sand traps on the following two holes to score triple bogey's.

So everyone is correct that the short game is where the focus needs to be. My drives were very good and center for the most part, although I reserved a bit of power to do so. I knew I would get out of hand if I tried to shoot for power without focusing on staying on the fairway.

Everyone is also correct in that I've already, and blissfully, have fallen in love with the game. It makes for an incredible afternoon.

As someone once explained to me, golf is a pleasant walk - interrupted.
K.Snyder

Help out a new golfer

Post by K.Snyder »

I most certainly have to work on my chipping game.

My poor nephew, he's so used to baseball he thinks he has to hit a home run every time he steps up to the ball. Perhaps I can encourage him to take a one day lesson with me during his break from the University.
YZGI

Help out a new golfer

Post by YZGI »

K.Snyder;1396960 wrote: I most certainly have to work on my chipping game.

My poor nephew, he's so used to baseball he thinks he has to hit a home run every time he steps up to the ball. Perhaps I can encourage him to take a one day lesson with me during his break from the University.

I use a 7 iron around the greens. Try to hit just hard enough to land on the green then roll out to the pin. It seems to keep from duffing it too often or exploding it. From a few yards out to lets say 30 yards out, swing your pitching wedge about as hard as you think you would need to underhand a soft ball to land where you want. Then remember to have about 60-70 percent of your weight on the front foot. Seems to help with hitting chips cleanly.
Lon

Help out a new golfer

Post by Lon »

Some thoughts on pitching.

Grass and the type of grass/thick/thin/ ball lying deep/on surface etc. makes a BIG difference in how hard you swing the club and whether you use a LOB WEDGE or a regular wedge or a 7 iron/8 iron to pitch onto the green.

On thick grass with a deep lie I prefer a LOB WEDGE which will make the ball fly high and not give a lot of roll. For longer pitches that require more roll I will use a regular wedge/9/8/ or 7 iron.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”