Fred Titmus Has Gone - RIP

Discuss all types of sports.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Today we get the sad news that Fred Titmus has died at the age of 78.

One of the great characters of English cricket he played in the first class game from 1949 to 1982.

Another one gone :-(
spot

Post by spot »

The BBC has buried the news far deeper than good taste would warrant.

His final appearance for the county came in 1982, when he was attending a match against Sussex as a spectator. Middlesex captain Mike Brearley called up Titmus on a pitch conducive to spin, and the gamble paid off as he took 3-43 to set up a 58-run victory.

BBC Sport - Cricket - Ex-Middlesex & England spinner Fred Titmus dies ages 78

It's an outrage he was never awarded an OBE.

He was one of the few to have even a slight impact against the Australians in the mid-70s. My word they were a terrifying bunch.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Didn't Fred have a few of his toes amputated in a boating accident, I seem to remember ? Was he playing at the time ? Surely not.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1356193 wrote: Didn't Fred have a few of his toes amputated in a boating accident, I seem to remember ? Was he playing at the time ? Surely not.

In the Caribbean during a test series in, I think, the sixties - had an argument with a propeller and lost. They said he'd never play again.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

A great spin bowler & a gentleman!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
spot

Post by spot »

50's quite an age to play in a county match. I remember seeing Brian Close at Somerset when he was older than that though and he was still fielding well within the batsman's comfort zone. Legend has it he was smacked on the head by a fast ball when fielding there, looked round when most people would have lost consciousness and asked whether anyone else had managed to catch it. They breed them tough Up North.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1356256 wrote: 50's quite an age to play in a county match. I remember seeing Brian Close at Somerset when he was older than that though and he was still fielding well within the batsman's comfort zone. Legend has it he was smacked on the head by a fast ball when fielding there, looked round when most people would have lost consciousness and asked whether anyone else had managed to catch it. They breed them tough Up North.

I saw that match on the tele' and it should have poleaxed him - as it was he more that asked if, he demanded to know why not!

Return to “Wide World of Sports”