The Ashes

Discuss all types of sports.
Snowfire

The Ashes

Post by Snowfire »

Congratulations to the boys on retaining the Ashes. Another emphatic win...by an innings and 157 runs.

Lets not take our foot of the throttle and continue our run in Sidney. I'll be staying up on Sunday night to see it
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

The Ashes

Post by spot »

My lad reckons he can see why the games are fluctuating so wildly, the Aussies being pretty poor but with a couple who now and then flash world-class brilliance. Mind you, I like cricket to be exciting. The Year of David Steele is indelibly printed on my mind as the best it gets.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

The Ashes

Post by Snowfire »

I reckon the Aussie bowlers are pretty average unless there is a bit of fizz in the wicket, like we saw in the last test in Perth. Its a transitional period for both teams. Australia haver been the number one test side for years and that time is coming to an end. England at the moment are a better balanced side and could become number one very soon. Its important the momentum carries through to Sidney and come away with a 3-1 series win and not a 2-2 which would not reflect the overwhelming superiority we've shown

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

The Ashes

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1348662 wrote: My lad reckons he can see why the games are fluctuating so wildly, the Aussies being pretty poor but with a couple who now and then flash world-class brilliance. Mind you, I like cricket to be exciting. The Year of David Steele is indelibly printed on my mind as the best it gets.

Making his debut against Australia at Lords he found himself getting lost as he went out to bat. He went down one too many flights of stairs and found himself in the basement toilets. He managed to make the field of play without becoming the first Test batsman to be timed out.[1]

Steele was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1975, and was awarded Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1976. Noted for being financially astute, particularly in the bar after a game, he was nicknamed 'crime' because crime never pays.

I had to look him up. That's hilarious !

Winston Churchill
spot

The Ashes

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1348665 wrote: Its important the momentum carries through to Sidney and come away with a 3-1 series win and not a 2-2 which would not reflect the overwhelming superiority we've shown

Well yes, there can be few rotters in this glorious cricketing nation of ours who would go so far as to disagree with such upright impartial sentiment.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

The Ashes

Post by CARLA »

Cricket right?? :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Snowfire

The Ashes

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1348669 wrote: Well yes, there can be few rotters in this glorious cricketing nation of ours who would go so far as to disagree with such upright impartial sentiment.

We've been on the rough end from Australia for a long time. They've been at the pinnacle of world cricket for years. They understood the importance of dominating sides and grinding them into the dirt. Its what kept them at number one. They got used to winning. "Never be satisfied" was their moto. We need to have the same mentality or we remain just average.

Despite universal agreement that England now have a much better side than Australia and will improve yet still, we still have a bit to do to reach the No 1 ranking. South Africa and India being the obstacles. We play India in the summer, so we shall see.

CARLA;1348674 wrote: Cricket right?? :)

Its that special time in the cricketing calendar, Carla, when England play Australia at cricket. Aproximately every to years. The 5 match series has been known as "The Ashes" since 1882

The series is named after a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, in 1882 after a match at The Oval in which Australia beat England on an English ground for the first time. The obituary stated that English cricket had died, and the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia. The English media dubbed the next English tour to Australia (1882–83) as the quest to regain The Ashes.

Winston Churchill
fuzzywuzzy

The Ashes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

We've been on the rough end from Australia for a long time.

and lets not forget that shall we?

We have a new young team half of which are Ashes virgins. Commonly known as the "baby green caps" . Thanks for breaking the young lads in .....they know hwat it means to lose now ...now they just have to know what it feels like to win .

Carla, the Ashes trophy consists of a rather small urn containing the cremated remains of the middle stump from the first (what is now called) "the first Ashes tour" hence the series being dubbed the Ashes.

Quite frankly what has been entered into the papers by British news media .....Our gracious winning team being 'England' can go hang themselves. I hope their plane crashes into the sea and they can take their bloody 'barmy army' with em'. It's been a dispicable display of bad sportsmanship on behalf of the English media....(and that's when they win ) SLOBS!!!

Oh and what did the Brits think of aussies in their newpapers? Apparently we're all sore losers ....That's....... EVERY....... Australian. And we're "stinking mangey dogs".......How nice. You see what this means, is, Australian parents look at their children and think ...WOW Brits think my children are stinking mangey dogs......Hmmmmmm.......and for the uninitiated Americans.......This is said by the Winners, mind you . Everything that has been reported in the newspapers in Britain has been all over our radio waves today .....Everybody is hearing the disgusting things that Brits believe they can call the average Australian ....All this because THEY WON a game of cricket. 'could you imagine what would have been said if they lost?

Oh and by the way, since the british press decides to attack ..Not the cricketers themselves, but the average Australian ...I'd just like to say that we beat you in the DARTS (I believe this is your national sport) just two days ago . And as far as mangey dog goes ...One of our dogs beat all of yours at Crofts just recently. And we all know that people visit or come to live in Australia from Britain so they can get a decent shag.
Snowfire

The Ashes

Post by Snowfire »

fuzzywuzzy;1348803 wrote: and lets not forget that shall we?

We have a new young team half of which are Ashes virgins. Commonly known as the "baby green caps" . Thanks for breaking the young lads in .....they know hwat it means to lose now ...now they just have to know what it feels like to win .

Carla, the Ashes trophy consists of a rather small urn containing the cremated remains of the middle stump from the first (what is now called) "the first Ashes tour" hence the series being dubbed the Ashes.

Quite frankly what has been entered into the papers by British news media .....Our gracious winning team being 'England' can go hang themselves. I hope their plane crashes into the sea and they can take their bloody 'barmy army' with em'. It's been a dispicable display of bad sportsmanship on behalf of the English media....(and that's when they win ) SLOBS!!!

Oh and what did the Brits think of aussies in their newpapers? Apparently we're all sore losers ....That's....... EVERY....... Australian. And we're "stinking mangey dogs".......How nice. You see what this means, is, Australian parents look at their children and think ...WOW Brits think my children are stinking mangey dogs......Hmmmmmm.......and for the uninitiated Americans.......This is said by the Winners, mind you . Everything that has been reported in the newspapers in Britain has been all over our radio waves today .....Everybody is hearing the disgusting things that Brits believe they can call the average Australian ....All this because THEY WON a game of cricket. 'could you imagine what would have been said if they lost?

Oh and by the way, since the british press decides to attack ..Not the cricketers themselves, but the average Australian ...I'd just like to say that we beat you in the DARTS (I believe this is your national sport) just two days ago . And as far as mangey dog goes ...One of our dogs beat all of yours at Crofts just recently. And we all know that people visit or come to live in Australia from Britain so they can get a decent shag.

Hahaha I've never read such tosh. Now who's a sore loser. And they call us whinging Poms.

I never read ANYTHING in the British press but the usual banter. The same type you get in the Australian press about us. Its a two way thing, you just need to take the blinkers off. You just cant stand losing, especially to us. Thats why 80,000 stayed away from the MCG because you couldn't stand the inevitable. At least the Barmy Army are always there, singing out loud when we get our usual pasting in Australia.

Winston Churchill
CARLA

The Ashes

Post by CARLA »

That's a long time and the trash talk is still happening to this day love it..!!

"The Ashes" since 1882
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bryn Mawr

The Ashes

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1348803 wrote: and lets not forget that shall we?

Would you care to share the name of the despicable rag that printed such a thing so that I can write to them and complain on your behalf?
Snowfire

The Ashes

Post by Snowfire »

England win the 5th and final match in the Ashes series to win 3-1.

3 innings defeats in a series is just sensational

It's a good day for English cricket

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

The Ashes

Post by Snowfire »

Just for Fuzzy.

Jimmy: Everywhere we go

Crowd: Everywhere we go

The people want to know

The people want to know

Who we are

Who we are

Where we come from

Where we come from

Shall we tell them

Shall we tell them

Who we are

Who we are

Where we come from

Where we come from

We are the England

We are the England

The Mighty Mighty England

We are the Army

We are the Army

The Barmy Barmy Army

The Barmy Barmy Army

Andrew Strauss's Barmy Army

Etc Etc

Winston Churchill
FG-administator

The Ashes

Post by FG-administator »

The pubs of Earl's Court were curiously devoid of Australians come Friday lunchtime. The west London neighbourhood is reputed to be home to the greatest concentration of Antipodeans this side of the Indian Ocean. But, after England's third victory by an innings in the final Ashes test, not one Australian drinker could be found in the local alehouses. - BBC News - England Ashes win: Australian day for sober reflection

"It was as if every ex-pat in the country had decided to be there. Beaches, backpacker dorms and Bondi bars were emptied, this corner of a foreign field for once entirely England" - BBC Sport - Cricket - Ashes: England wrap up 3-1 series win over Australia - Australia began play in a hopeless position at 213-7, 151 runs behind, and after a rain delay they were all out for 281 with Steve Smith not out on 54. The crowd, made up almost entirely of England fans, was let in free and produced a superb atmosphere. England captain Andrew Strauss said: "We're delighted with what we've done."

Well, there we are then. And the locals not showing up to applaud. Fancy that.

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
fuzzywuzzy

The Ashes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Snowfire;1348832 wrote: Hahaha I've never read such tosh. Now who's a sore loser. And they call us whinging Poms.

I never read ANYTHING in the British press but the usual banter. The same type you get in the Australian press about us. Its a two way thing, you just need to take the blinkers off. You just cant stand losing, especially to us. Thats why 80,000 stayed away from the MCG because you couldn't stand the inevitable. At least the Barmy Army are always there, singing out loud when we get our usual pasting in Australia.

Actually you're wrong there snowfire .......read our papers. Our papers have been about the apalling performance of our team. 80,000 couldn't possibly have stayed away I'm afraid.

And yes The barmy army is always there. A few of them were on the radio...They loved every minute of being here except of course for the weather.
fuzzywuzzy

The Ashes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bryn Mawr;1348839 wrote: Would you care to share the name of the despicable rag that printed such a thing so that I can write to them and complain on your behalf?

They did mention which papers, some 'Daily something'? and another one. But I forgot which ones they were because I was quite taken back by what was said, so forgot. Let's just say "it's just not cricket"

It was extremely emotional when the barmy army started chanting the names of the players . One of yours (can't remember which one) got all teary he reckons in the slips when they chanted his name ...................nice. Apparently he had to wipe his eyes. aaawwwhhhh. :)

there's simply no excuse for it .....we've had 4 years to get our side up to scratch since losing the players that were apart of one of our best teams. I have no idea where our 400 and 300's went . It was dismal.

But we still have the day/nighters and the 20's coming up . That should be interesting. :)
fuzzywuzzy

The Ashes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Snowfire;1349895 wrote: Just for Fuzzy.

Jimmy: Everywhere we go

Crowd: Everywhere we go

The people want to know

The people want to know

Who we are

Who we are

Where we come from

Where we come from

Shall we tell them

Shall we tell them

Who we are

Who we are

Where we come from

Where we come from

We are the England

We are the England

We are the Army

We are the Army

The Barmy Barmy Army

The Barmy Barmy Army

Andrew Strauss's Barmy Army

Etc Etc

Yes yes I heard it snowfire they have better ones .............but I prefer to actually watch the cricket.
fuzzywuzzy

The Ashes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

FG;1350002 wrote:

Well, there we are then. And the locals not showing up to applaud. Fancy that.

That's crap . Were you actually watching the tests? They were letting everyone in for free. Unfortunetely the Packers of this earth have tried to make the test about money and rock star status ...the average person can't see a game anymore ..coupled with that the only people who get the tickets are corperates and rich so n so's . That's how it's going in Australia now. They need to give cricket back to the bloody people!!! Both my boys play cricket and there is no way I could afford a ticket for us for the boxing day test. And lets face it only the die hards ever turned up to the test the day after Christmas. Now it's like going to a concert ....but corperates don't like to associate with losers so the business seats are empty. And I can tell you right now there is a lot of them.

I still remember the days when you could walk into the MCG and play a game of cricket with your own bat and ball and walk around the place as casual as you like . Now it's all locked up and only thiose who are members can go into the members area. never used to be like that.

You ever stood on the ground of the MCG? I can only tell my boys what it's like now I can't take them there. You know you can't see the other end of the ground if you stand on any side of it on ground level? That's how huge it is and the slope of the field.

I pity us .....and especially when papers in England print falsely.
G#Gill

The Ashes

Post by G#Gill »

I suppose it is such a rare event, England actually beating Australia fair and square, in Australia, that our papers are going doolallytat over it all. Also as there is so little to cheer about these days, with what our various governments have done to this country, please forgive us our excesses !

It's a good feeling to have actually won something ! But I agree, there is no excuse for people being sarcastic and nasty about it ! England have lost matches (and it is not just cricket - in the past) on a regular basis, it's good to be able to cheer our boys winning just for a change.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Snowfire

The Ashes

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1350066 wrote: I suppose it is such a rare event, England actually beating Australia fair and square, in Australia, that our papers are going doolallytat over it all. Also as there is so little to cheer about these days, with what our various governments have done to this country, please forgive us our excesses !

It's a good feeling to have actually won something ! But I agree, there is no excuse for people being sarcastic and nasty about it ! England have lost matches (and it is not just cricket - in the past) on a regular basis, it's good to be able to cheer our boys winning just for a change.

I dont agree. There has been no excess over and above what has been there for donkeys years. Ian Botham talks about half a chicken being thrown at his head when he fielded in his day. He laughs at it. If the Australian fielders get some stick at the boundary by the Barm Army then thats all part of it.

Brett Lee, the Australian fast bowler, had a wonderful rapport with the Barmy Army and was given a lot of respect because of it. It all comes from the culture of sledgeing, which is the conversations - polite or otherwise...LOL - between the batsman at the crease and the opposing side surrounding him.

Fuzzy and the Ozzy press can't expect to win every time. That era is over. I'm not saying its our turn necessarily. We still have work to do but even the Australian players have been gracious enough to say they have to learn from what England have achieved. Any dissenting voice from Fuzzy is purely sour grapes.

Fuzzy, the grounds were full (Melbourne holds 90,000) up untill the last day (which is often free) when most of the Australian fans just accepted the inevitable and stayed away. The last day at Sidney was almost exclusively English supporters.

I want to know what the English press said that was so bad. The Aussie press is hardly likely to be kind to us. Thats the way it is.

They showed us the cover of one of your papers on the telly during the last test. The headline said... THE WORST SIDE EVER ! You don't need us to put you down when your own press are doing such a fine job. Even we have never suggested that

Winston Churchill

Return to “Wide World of Sports”