the state of the NBA

Discuss all types of sports.
someguy

the state of the NBA

Post by someguy »

is ruined.

I noticed it when the boston celtics in 2008 created the whole multiple superstars on one team to win a championship. Suddenly the mentality of NBA teams, and the franchise players is to move to one team and create superteams to contend for a ring. This maybe good for one city and the players on that team, but this also removes the competition of the league leaving only 3 - 4 teams to contend for the championships.

What the league needs to do it have strict salary cap rules to keep the NBA balanced, like baseball and the NFL, not this crap from the 2010 free agency bonanza on which team can pay the highest for talent, see miami. However with a strict salary cap, this might endup having a lockout, meaning no basketball for one season, however as long as it generates some good competitive basketball in the future then I'm fine with that.

thoughts?
K.Snyder

the state of the NBA

Post by K.Snyder »

someguy;1335808 wrote: Suddenly the mentality of NBA teams, and the franchise players is to move to one team and create superteams to contend for a ring. This maybe good for one city and the players on that team, but this also removes the competition of the league leaving only 3 - 4 teams to contend for the championships.I doubt "suddenly" was the word you were looking for...The "mentality" that you speak of has always been the case. It's the rules that allow such a monopoly and I'm afraid basketball is the one sport that has grown out of America so that more and more players are being purchased as opposed to traded...You'll have to get used to it...

When there's more competition coming from leagues outside the NBA it's in the US's best interest to allow such a format otherwise they risk losing viewers to other countries. It's because an influx of great talent means that teams are going to have to pay more money...

Here's some food for thought...

The FIBA Basketball World Cup, or simply the FIBA World Cup, between 1950 and 2010 known as the FIBA World Championship, is an international basketball competition contested by the men's national teams of the members of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA), the sport's global governing body. The championship has been held every four years since the inaugural tournament in 1950, except for two occasions. FIBA Basketball World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Return to “Wide World of Sports”