Rugby

Discuss all types of sports.
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

If Australia and South Africa can learn to play for the whole 80 minutes, they might even look like they can win the All Backs.

Granted the Wallabies is a young team, but the Springboks.... argh I think they are just too... old :-3

In my book, if the South Africa wants to keep the cup, something very drastic needs to be done... perhaps we should start by firing our couch.
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm not sure that a high velocity sofa will help matters, but I'd still like to see it! (Sorry - it was such a beautiful typo I couldn't resist!)

While both S.Africa and Australia have fine teams, if anyone can beat the Kiwis in their own back yard,in my opinion it's the French. They are showing distinct signs of being devastating. As always, the question is whether they can be consistent for the whole tournament...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Snowfire

Rugby

Post by Snowfire »

They might even win the Women's World cup too. We'll find out tomorrow. Which makes me think we should send our womens team out. I've been very impressed by their level of skill and commitment. Girly it aint
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

I think the French is always a force when it comes to the World Cup exactly because they can either be brilliant or just not "there" for the day, so can they will knock any team out.

But if they can play enough brilliant games in a row to win.... sorry.... unless they changed a lot lately, I think not.
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

But if they can play enough brilliant games in a row to win.... sorry.... unless they changed a lot lately, I think not.

Agree with the general point you are making, but the French side we saw in the 6 Nations earlier this year was very, very good indeed, they've already beaten the Kiwis in New Zealand and there are noticeable comparisons with how England were when our lads won it (this time I think we are about a year behind where we need to be to win it). I'm not saying the French are a cert, but I reckon they've a very good chance. Particularly since if the ABs have a bogey team, it's Les Bleus.

Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Clodhopper;1331479 wrote: Agree with the general point you are making, but the French side we saw in the 6 Nations earlier this year was very, very good indeed, they've already beaten the Kiwis in New Zealand and there are noticeable comparisons with how England were when our lads won it (this time I think we are about a year behind where we need to be to win it). I'm not saying the French are a cert, but I reckon they've a very good chance. Particularly since if the ABs have a bogey team, it's Les Bleus.

Ok I see were you are coming from. I again, judge the French on the game they played in RSA June 2010. I seem to recall that they did not send their full squad, but here, they did not seem impressive at all. The score was 42 - 17, actually the French were never really in the game.

Maybe it was just a bad day in the office for them, but that would again prove my point of them not being reliable.

It was great actually, we thrashed the French in Soccer and Rugby in a question of two months. A fluke I think will not happen again soon :).

On the other hand, I expected France to win the Soccer World cup and was I wrong!
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

If I am not mistaken, today marks the year countdown to the Word Cup. I am looking forward to this, but I have a sinking feeling the Springboks will break my heart.

On the upside we are in pool D, I think rather a nice draw, with Wales, Fiji, Samoa and Namibia. So we should qualify for the Quarters.

The pool game between NZ and France could be very interesting. I think NZ is the team to beat this time, they are on their home turf and very hungry. I do not believe they have manged to win one world cup yet.
Snowfire

Rugby

Post by Snowfire »

Dixie;1332359 wrote: If I am not mistaken, today marks the year countdown to the Word Cup. I am looking forward to this, but I have a sinking feeling the Springboks will break my heart.

On the upside we are in pool D, I think rather a nice draw, with Wales, Fiji, Samoa and Namibia. So we should qualify for the Quarters.

The pool game between NZ and France could be very interesting. I think NZ is the team to beat this time, they are on their home turf and very hungry. I do not believe they have manged to win one world cup yet.

New Zealand won the inaugarel World Cup in 1987

It's true though that they have certainly underachieved given the expectation that is heaped upon their shoulders. Not to win on home turf would be a catastrophe. They seem always to be the best team in the world leading up to the competition, then find a way to throw it away
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Hundred days till the world cup!
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

We have given the Springboks a nice send off today. Now it is up to them. :yh_worry
Bryn Mawr

Rugby

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Dixie;1367827 wrote: We have given the Springboks a nice send off today. Now it is up to them. :yh_worry

You'll have fun playing with the Welsh - as an opening fixture for you it should be a good match.

Best of luck (but not when it comes to playing England) :-)
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

I see England plays Argentina on the 10th. I never know how to gauge Argentine. They made the semi-finals in 2007 (we played them then). I see though their current ranking is well below England and Scotland. So based on that, England should (actually have to) win this one.

The Springboks and Welsh seem to be the best rated teams in our group. I do hope we can win, but then the Bokke plays better when we are angry with them and at the moment we are cheering them on.
mikeinie

Rugby

Post by mikeinie »

Don't underestimate Ireland, only 2 years ago they wone the 6 Nations Grand Slam
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

mikeinie;1367864 wrote: Don't underestimate Ireland, only 2 years ago they wone the 6 Nations Grand Slam

They should easily make the quarters with Australia. I estimate them to play either the Welsh or the Springboks. I see they play USA first. Last time the USA had a wing (Takudzwa Ngwenya) that made our wings look like they were jogging. (Did them the world of good ;) ) I wonder if he will be in the team again.
Bryn Mawr

Rugby

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Dixie;1367863 wrote: I see England plays Argentina on the 10th. I never know how to gauge Argentine. They made the semi-finals in 2007 (we played them then). I see though their current ranking is well below England and Scotland. So based on that, England should (actually have to) win this one.

The Springboks and Welsh seem to be the best rated teams in our group. I do hope we can win, but then the Bokke plays better when we are angry with them and at the moment we are cheering them on.

No doubt at all that we have to beat the Pumas but the grudge match will be against Scotland - if we loose that one then we'll never live it down. If loosing to Scotland means that we don't progress out of the pool stage then the team might as well not come home.
K.Snyder

Rugby

Post by K.Snyder »

What's going on in the World of rugby atm? I'd watched I believe it was the rugby world cup, if that's what it is called, some time ago only to see the US get beat pretty badly and turned me off of it. I've always been interested in it and think I'll watch a few games. So what's going on atm?
Bryn Mawr

Rugby

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1367907 wrote: What's going on in the World of rugby atm? I'd watched I believe it was the rugby world cup, if that's what it is called, some time ago only to see the US get beat pretty badly and turned me off of it. I've always been interested in it and think I'll watch a few games. So what's going on atm?

The Rugby World Cup in New Zealand from the 9th of September to the 23rd of October

The USA play on the 11th, 15th, 23rd and 27th at least but you're in the same pool as Australia, Italy and Ireland so you'll do well to get into the knockout.
K.Snyder

Rugby

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1367908 wrote: The Rugby World Cup in New Zealand from the 9th of September to the 23rd of October

The USA play on the 11th, 15th, 23rd and 27th at least but you're in the same pool as Australia, Italy and Ireland so you'll do well to get into the knockout.You don't have to taunt, Bryn! :yh_bigsmi

Ok, will watch, if I can, on the 11th as I have a soccer game...
Bryn Mawr

Rugby

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1367909 wrote: You don't have to taunt, Bryn! :yh_bigsmi

Ok, will watch, if I can, on the 11th as I have a soccer game...

I'd be happy that England would beat Italy but I'd not like to bet good money on them reaching the knockout if they were in your place. That pool is no pushover.
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Bryn Mawr;1367906 wrote: No doubt at all that we have to beat the Pumas but the grudge match will be against Scotland - if we loose that one then we'll never live it down. If loosing to Scotland means that we don't progress out of the pool stage then the team might as well not come home.

I am convinced England will make the quarters. Now the smart thing for us would be if you could come second in your pool and get the Pumas to win the pool. That way the Pumas can take care on France for all of us, seeing as they seem to be the Nemesis of the French :sneaky: (Just joking)
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

K.Snyder;1367907 wrote: What's going on in the World of rugby atm? I'd watched I believe it was the rugby world cup, if that's what it is called, some time ago only to see the US get beat pretty badly and turned me off of it. I've always been interested in it and think I'll watch a few games. So what's going on atm?

The Eagles play very attractive rugby and they are improving every year, do not give up on them. Anyway me being female... they normally have the best looking guys by far in their team :D
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

I thought the All Blacks did not look as sharp as they could be. Perhaps because Tonga did not really challenge them? I think the AB's is most likely the team to take the cup this time.

The Springboks chose a very "conventional" team for our game against Wales. Interesting our fullback (who plays mostly in France) is just like that. One day he could be brilliant and the next game not. Hope he has an "on" day on Sunday! He has the ability to kick huge distances with some accuracy.

I am looking forward to the England Argentine game. I think that would be a very interesting game to watch. My money is on England.
fuzzywuzzy

Rugby

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

This was sent to me on Facebook ...I almost fell off my chair I was laughing so much . (even the boys came intot he room to see what was wrong.)

Teletubbies haka - YouTube

And here's the fixture KS

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/fixtu ... stage.html
K.Snyder

Rugby

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzywuzzy;1368928 wrote: This was sent to me on Facebook ...I almost fell off my chair I was laughing so much . (even the boys came intot he room to see what was wrong.)

Teletubbies haka - YouTube

And here's the fixture KS

Official RWC 2011 Site - FixturesVery good, thank you... If I miss my soccer game this Sunday I'll try and watch. Not sure it will be televised here in the states without some sort of special tv package, which I do not have, but will try and see it online...
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

So England plays in black. France in white. :-3

The Blossoms (Japan) is really improving. Well done! a Team with spirit methinks.
fuzzywuzzy

Rugby

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

A rugby team called 'blossom"??? and they have no problem with this?
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

fuzzywuzzy;1369075 wrote: A rugby team called 'blossom"??? and they have no problem with this?

That was what I was thinking - then I remembered there is another team calling themselves "Roses".

What can I say, yesterday a "Rose' gave a "Puma" a kiss right on the forehead! Granted it was done to anger him and very successful as well.
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

What can I say, yesterday a "Rose' gave a "Puma" a kiss right on the forehead! Granted it was done to anger him and very successful as well.

Yes indeed! chuckle. You know your rugby, madam! An ugly match, but I'll take the win. We often start poorly at World Cups and go on to do well. I don't think we are good enough to win the World Cup this time, but there really is a lot of talent in the squad.

Woohoo! Wales go ahead versus your lads! Very exciting match!

Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

South Africa 17 Wales 16. But the Dragons outplayed us by far. We did not deserve this win but we'll take in anyway!

How long do we still have to carry John Smith? And Butch James is as usual worth his couple of penalties. Ugh! All my nails are gone!
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

Well done the Proteas :-6. Wales heartbroken :-1.

K. Snyder: The USA are an emerging nation in rugby terms and can be regarded as on a par with Russia, Georgia and Namibia. Your lads have done well in a qualifying competition to even get to a World Cup. When you run into the big boys like the Kiwis, the Aussies or the South Africans you are likely to get pulverised.

It's all about pride. :) I'll be cheering the USA on. Except in your game against Russia, where I'm a true neutral.

Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Clodhopper;1369143 wrote: I'll be cheering the USA on. Except in your game against Russia, where I'm a true neutral.

Oh yes I agree! That game could well be a very interesting because the teams will be better matched!

I saw the first 10 minutes or so of the Ireland USA game. Wow, those Irish forwards look in excellent shape! And great for the USA to score a goal!
K.Snyder

Rugby

Post by K.Snyder »

I didn't get the chance to see the game...I suppose 22-10 isn't the worst that could have happened...Hopefully they played well and have a bit of drive, from what seems to be a decent effort, to go out against Russia and play like machines...
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

K.Snyder;1369305 wrote: I didn't get the chance to see the game...I suppose 22-10 isn't the worst that could have happened...Hopefully they played well and have a bit of drive, from what seems to be a decent effort, to go out against Russia and play like machines...

I see USA is rated 18th and Russia 19th at the moment. I expect USA to win this one mainly because they have (I believe) more experience playing in world cups. Also most teams struggle with their first RWC game but this will be the Eagles second game and Russia's first.

To put the 22-10 score in perspective, Ireland is rated 8th. So very well done USA!
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm pretty sure this is Russia's first World Cup and it's the USA's second for sure, possibly third. They had that winger with the very African name last time, who burned up Bryan Habana!!!

Definitely a game to watch - I know a lot of neutrals who have USA/Russia as a "must see" game. I'm one of them, but only by replay if it's a 2:00am start!

So after the first round of games, England and SA can both say they won, but not much else. Both have much to do. And yet I still think we could meet in the final. Again!

(Assuming we can deal with the minor irritation of the Kiwis and Aussies!;))

Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Clodhopper;1369312 wrote: I'm pretty sure this is Russia's first World Cup and it's the USA's second for sure, possibly third. They had that winger with the very African name last time, who burned up Bryan Habana!!!

Definitely a game to watch - I know a lot of neutrals who have USA/Russia as a "must see" game. I'm one of them, but only by replay if it's a 2:00am start!

So after the first round of games, England and SA can both say they won, but not much else. Both have much to do. And yet I still think we could meet in the final. Again!

(Assuming we can deal with the minor irritation of the Kiwis and Aussies!;))

Yes that winger is or was of Zimbabwe. Not only does he run like the wind, he tackles as well! A very exciting player! Methinks Bryan is very glad he will not see the heels of him in this world cup at least!

The Sprigboks did win but in my book the Dragons threw it away. They had a number of chances like that drop goal. They had the world of time there and was perfectly placed but still missed.

Our next game is against Fiji and they gave us quite a scare last time! But I think we can beat them.

Both England and RSA better finish top of the pools or else we will meet the Wallabies and Kiwis too soon. Here is the deal. We land on top of the pools, then sort those two out in the semis and play in the final again. ;)(Alas easier said than done but quite possible)
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

Here is the deal. We land on top of the pools, then sort those two out in the semis and play in the final again. (Alas easier said than done but quite possible)

Well, we beat the Aussies last time we met, so we know we can, and you beat the ABs quite regularly, so no problem.....

In all seriousness, the Aussies look very good and it's hard to see anyone beating the ABs (as usual!) so an Aussie/AB final is probably the likely one. But I wouldn't be totally shocked if we meet again in the finals. Worth it just for the expression on Kiwi faces! ;)

Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Clodhopper;1369318 wrote: In all seriousness, the Aussies look very good and it's hard to see anyone beating the ABs (as usual!) so an Aussie/AB final is probably the likely one.

Sadly, that is the most likely scenario. But the ABs have a habit of choking in WCs.... you never know.

BTW I just read that it is the 6th time USA plays in a WC and the first for Russia. RSA played 5 times.
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

The expansion of Rugby Union into the old Soviet bloc is marvellous, but a complete surprise to me. Russia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Poland, the Ukraine all have national Rugby teams.

I think it's great, but I don't understand why Rugby and not some other sport.

6 times for the USA? That means they only missed the first, I think. RSA every time since the end of apartheid I assume.

Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Someone made this point to me which I thought to pass on:

The difference between all the teams in the WC is growing less. The reason being that most players of the lower ranked teams play professionally somewhere. Here they rub shoulders with the same players in the higher ranked teams. The biggest difference now is that the higher ranked teams play more as a team. Perhaps a good point.
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Tonga 20 Canada 25. Is this the first upset?
fuzzywuzzy

Rugby

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Tonga defeated ...that is an upset.
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

I think there's a general consensus growing that the "minnows" (as the newer, less experienced sides are loosely referred to) are much bigger fish than they used to be. All now know how to disrupt and spoil very effectively, all are now able to play the full 80 without running out of puff, and some are now taking the next step and learning how to attack the "big" sides. It's a most promising sign for World Rugby.

Will be watching Canada Tonga later. Sounds an absolute cracker! Go, Lumberjacks!

K.Snyder

Rugby

Post by K.Snyder »

It appears that USA plays Russia at 3:30am my time so I doubt I will be seeing it. I'm going to check if by some chance the channels I'm receiving will show it but I'd say the probability of this is the equivalent to expecting to see Elvis ringing on my door bell.
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

K.Snyder;1369565 wrote: I'd say the probability of this is the equivalent to expecting to see Elvis ringing on my door bell.
:yh_rotfl Here rugby is huge. They have this one dedicated channel just for rugby. Rolling the games one after the other. Needless to say I do not get much work done.

At the risk of stating the obvious. In pool B, when it comes to the second place, bonus points will be very crucial. Scotland might rue the fact that they did not achieve a bonus point against Georgia. I do not expect Argentine to make that mistake.

It is always difficult to land in the same pool as Argentine. They are normally placed with two teams of the top eight. Then they hit WC and play very well.
Bryn Mawr

Rugby

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Dixie;1369543 wrote: Tonga 20 Canada 25. Is this the first upset?

Certainly a good win for Canada but there's not *that* much between them.
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

Yes you are right I have read: "Canada have now won all three RWC matches played between the two nations."
Dixie

Rugby

Post by Dixie »

The Springboks are plagued by injuries. Habana, Matfield, Butch James and Piere de Villiers are all out for the next game. Oh well, let us see how the new blood preform, I am optimistic but I also remember last time we played Fiji with an "inexperienced" team they gave us hell.

John Smit is still in the team even though Bismark plays miles better than him. Apparently he is an excellent captain (even if they have to give him a cane to get from one scrum to the other:)) The Beast is also on the bench which I agree with - nice impact player.
Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

Lovely score for the USA. Good support. 10-3.

Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

USA settled by that try from the scrum half and are now building pressure. Several minutes in the Russian 22 and 10 phases and only dogged Russian defence keeping them out. USA knock on - well done Russia.

Heard the Russian Vice President is watching with the NZ Prime Minister.:)

Think this is the USA's game to lose. They look just a little bit better in every department. But never underestimate a Russian in defence!

Clodhopper

Rugby

Post by Clodhopper »

Oooh, a brief flash of Nguenya (sp...) caught just as he hit top gear. Silky runner.

Skill levels much higher this WC than they were last.

Possession is 60/40 to the USA, which I would call an accurate reflection of the sides in the first half. All still to play for!

Return to “Wide World of Sports”