England Pakistan Cricket

Discuss all types of sports.
Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

Bowled them out for 72, just passed that total for two wickets.

Last match we bowled them out in the second innings for 80.

My word, we are HAMMERING them! Don't recall England crushing a side like this before. Not even Bangladesh, who are very new to Test cricket.

Mind you, I doubt it means much in relation to this winter's Ashes series. Though it looks like we have a better chance Down Under than we have done in years since the Aussies are rebuilding.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Snowfire

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Snowfire »

Pakistan have a very poor batting side. The bowlers are very talented but the batting lets them down considerably. Do you think their minds may be else where given recent events ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by G#Gill »

Must have some affect, Snowfire. I feel for them any way. There are so many casualties that some members of the team will have relatives or friends involved.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

The commentators have just made the point that this is a very, very young Pakistan side and conditions in England are different to what they are used to at home: roasting heat, flat pitches, lots of spinners and reverse swing. An English side as young as this Pakistani one would probably struggle in Pakistan conditions.

But yes, the floods and political situation won't help. Especially since they are so young. I'd expect older seasoned professionals to get in the zone pretty much whatever was going on at home. (Well, death in the family or whatever excepted)

Snowfire

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Snowfire »

Sticking, if I may, to the cricket, I would have expected, having won the toss, that Pakistan would have played to their strengths and bowled, in overcast chilly conditions. Having just watched a few highlights, their fielding was pretty woeful too. It certainly gives us a bit of confidence coming up to the Ashes, playing so well, although Cooke is continuing to be a worry and I'm looking forward to Pieterson to spend a bit of time at the crease

Winston Churchill
Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

Am waiting for the Channel 5 highlights at 7:15 pm. Have just been listening to the commentary online. But from what I've heard, it sounds like no footwork, little confidence and less experience. But yes, I'm surprised the side winning the toss didn't bowl, given the conditions. Perhaps they felt it was too cold and they felt they'd do better bowling when/if things warmed up a bit? Or just more inexperience? Very odd.

Yeah, Cooke's a worry. Who are the options these days? Dunno what's up with Pietersen. Dropped 2.5 times in his 36. Hopefully time at the crease will sort him out, but the commentators were saying his technique looked ropy: bat coming down at an angle, which is never good when you are trying to drive.

Would like to see Strauss get a big score soon, too.

Winning is unlikely to actually hurt us, but I'd think a more testing opponent would be better preparation. No Aussie side is going to be this weak, even if we play their U12s!

Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

Just remembered: Broad said that Strauss had wanted to bat first if he won the toss, but the bowlers were very happy to bowl. Boycott and Agnew couldn't understand it.

Snowfire

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Snowfire »

Clodhopper;1326243 wrote:

Winning is unlikely to actually hurt us, but I'd think a more testing opponent would be better preparation. No Aussie side is going to be this weak, even if we play their U12s!

I agree but Pakistan have just drawn 1-1 with Australia in their mini series over here. Conditions were much warmer but Pakistan did have some very good spells against the Aussies.

Of course, it's always different for them when they play us, especially down there

Winston Churchill
Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

They have wicket taking bowlers in English conditions, and it will have been unusual - well, unique - for the Australians to meet the Pakistanis for Test matches in English conditions. A fascinating experience for the cricketers involved, I would think. And there's no doubt the talent is there in the Pakistan side. But against England today there really was no footwork from their top six and that's all about confidence and experience.

You can rely on a good eye when you can also rely on the ball coming off the pitch absolutely true and no swing xpt reverse. On English pitches under damp English conditions you need technique, too. As Anderson and Broad demonstrated. They did bowl very well.

But THAT means nothing in regard to Aussie conditions except that they are in form and confident. Anderson has experience of Australian conditions. Broad doesn't, but is a very good cricketer and I think both have every chance of doing well Down Under. The little I've seen of Finn looks encouraging. His height means he ought to like hard Aussie pitches. :)

I think the Pakistan management must take a lot of blame for these dismal performances. They have been, to say the least, uninspired. There is a big potential pool of supporters, and a call to the pride of the team, representing the nation in adversity, that sort of thing ought to produce a performance of more spirit than this. The management ought to know about English conditions and have prepared accordingly...perhaps money troubles have intervened in some way...even if money has prevented them from getting to this country in time for a decent acclimatisation, they could have worked on the players' fielding more than it seems they have.

Or perhaps England at home are currently quite a tough team to beat and with that and the troubles at home and a young team, Pakistan's morale has been, at least temporarily, broken.

Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

3rd Test, going into the 4th day. England have a lead of about 130. Pakistan have lost one wicket, but now seem to be going along smoothly. I'm delighted to say they have really improved a lot this game. Both the pitch (flat and hard) and the conditions (ball not swinging) have suited their natural game better than Trent Bridge or Edgbaston! I think Mohammed Yousuf has contributed a great deal more than his batting - his experience, I suspect, has been even more valuable to his team. All things being equal, they ought to beat us from here. But this is cricket and you never can tell.

Ajmal really caused problems with his spin, and I thought I detected some uneven bounce yesterday (I was round at a friend's house watching the game) so things are definitely not hopeless. Especially if Swann gets some turn on this surface. Is he the best spinner in the world at the moment?

Pakistan seem a very two-tone team: When they are down they are very, very poor; when they think they have a chance, they are genuinely dangerous.

Come on England! And three cheers for cricket! :-6

Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

Trott and Broad.

All time record of 332 runs for the 8th wicket. Pakistan all out for 74 and 41-4 following on.

Enjoy folks. Doesn't happen that often.

(Thank heavens for Pakistan and cricket that Pakistan won the third Test. If they can grow up they'll be a deadly Test team)

fuzzywuzzy

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

So I take it you havent heard the controversy today about the throwing of games by pakistan? Sorry Clod .
Snowfire

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Snowfire »

fuzzywuzzy;1329973 wrote: So I take it you havent heard the controversy today about the throwing of games by pakistan? Sorry Clod .

The controversy has nothing to do with "throwing games"

It surrounds the matter of money being bet on three "no-balls" being thrown in a match, at specific times. While this of course is disgraceful and the bowler(s) involved should be banned, it has no reflection on the result of the game. There is no suggestion whatsoever that all the results in this series so far, and the outcome of the outstanding test match still in progress, are affected by the consequence of illegal betting procedures

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Snowfire »

England win by an innings and 225 runs. Pakistan's heaviest Test Match defeat

England wrap up the series 3-1

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Snowfire »

I've just seen a replay of the three no-balls that the allegations are centered around and they are huge no-balls. At least one of them looks about 18 inches over the line. Bowlers are very precise with their run ups and pace them out deliberately so that there front foot hits the line at the exact point. I'd suggest these no balls were as deliberate rather than any miscalculation. It doesnt look good for this young talented bowler.

Nasser Hussain was correct when he intimated at the great disparity in reward between a lot Test cricketers and some sub-continent cricketers. The rewards for English cricketers is high, for IPL players it's extremely high but for someone like Mohammed Amir an 18 year old Pakistani who would have been payed very little for his efforts.

I in no way look at this as an excuse but it is easy to see how this young man was "got at". Allegations such as these have been rife for years, especially in Pakastan. It would be wonderful for this to be proved false and this talented bowler can continue his career but I have serious doubts and as a consequence, if found guilty, must be banned for life. And that means LIFE

Winston Churchill
Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

So I take it you havent heard the controversy today about the throwing of games by pakistan? Sorry Clod .

Ach, no problem, Fuzzy. I've been spending time looking at this (partly why I haven't been here recently). Yes, it's desperately sad for players like Trott and Broad who must now wonder about their record stand. Well I would, anyway. And I gather this is now encompassing your last Sydney Test against Pakistan.

It really looks like Asif, Aamir and Butt are guilty, but given it was the News of the World, which is a shoddy rag, that broke the story I'll wait for the ICC anti-corruption unit to get going. The British Police have released them without bail, which suggests there is not a criminal case to answer under English Law. But frankly, who wants to play Pakistan these days? Roll on the Ashes Down Under. I can't believe that players on either side want to do anything other than beat the opposition fair and square. It will be, as always, great sport.

What a tragedy for cricket this has been.

Snowfire: You really can't bowl no balls that big unless they are deliberate. I have umpired junior games and even U12s don't bowl no balls on that scale. Agnew ( the commentator) made puzzled comments about Aamir at the time!

Clodhopper

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Clodhopper »

Even Jardine was in your face! No underhand shenanigans there!

Oh, and other thoughts - Agnew is a slimeball, but I suspect his "puzzlement" was a way of calling attention to the matter.

Snowfire

England Pakistan Cricket

Post by Snowfire »

Clodhopper;1331314 wrote:

Snowfire: You really can't bowl no balls that big unless they are deliberate. I have umpired junior games and even U12s don't bowl no balls on that scale. Agnew ( the commentator) made puzzled comments about Aamir at the time!

Oh absolutely. I said so at the time. I find it incredibly sad that a player like Amir has been got at but its far easier to do on the sub continent when you are awarded next to nothing for you efforts and the rest are earning a kings ransome. Look at the money being banded around in the IPL. Once you've been snared its impossible to escape the whole scam process. It's crickets loss, a player like that.

We can be sure though that the outcome of the Ashes will be a fair reflection of who the best side were. Can't wait. Bring it on

Winston Churchill

Return to “Wide World of Sports”