2012 London Olympic Games

Discuss all types of sports.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Great Britain got Bronze in TKD today, great match.....have to watch it live! And my favorite USA girl got the Bronze in her weight category........and my favorite guy got bronze the other day.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

USA USA USA :d USA!!!!!
Smoke signals ftw!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

chonsigirl;1399924 wrote: Hope you got access, K.S. I got home in time to watch the first day of TKD and it is great.I was able to catch both football finals. Mexico beating Brazil I must say didn't surprise me.

I'm glad to see the women beat Japan but I also think Japan is a very good team. Their midfield needs work but it's good to see more teams becoming more competitive. I think it's a moot point to think that the US women's team made up for their loss in the World Cup. It's well known that the World Cup will always be the more prolific competition.
spot

Post by spot »

Well done, Tom Daley. That was a finely controlled series of dives, I thought.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Well Hello Kevin, welcome back.

What about Mo's treble, two Golds and beating The Cube ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1400326 wrote: Well Hello Kevin, welcome back.Thank you, I'll post some Beautiful pictures of Colombia within the next week as I may have more to capture and I prefer to sit down(at my own desk) and organize the select ones I wish to show. I want to show the absolute beauty of this country as effectively as I can.

Anyway, I've been very busy here with many activities so I haven't been able to see as many events as I would have otherwise but I did make certain to watch many of the football events :yh_devil

I did see some of the running events and man the Jamaicans are machines. Very good.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well gosh. Wasn't that a lot of fun? :)

I feel rather like the way you do after a good party when you've seen off the last guest and collapse with a feeling of a job well done. Which is faintly ridiculous because I had nothing to do with the organising or anything. I just went along and cheered the bit that happened near me, which was the cycling (went through Kingston on the way to Richmond Park one road up from where I live). But I was hooked from that moment on because I was alerted to something that seemed to last right through the Games in all the sports I looked at: at the Time Trials, the crowd stayed on the streets right to the end and cheered the last competitor as loudly as the first. No-one told people to do it, it seems that quite spontaneously just about everyone decided that they personally were going to support all the athletes, because the Olympics were, well, the Olympics. And sure enough, a fortnight or so later watching the track and field every good throw, run or jump was cheered and every bad one got a sympathetic "Aaaah". Country didn't matter, or politics or religion, if you were there competing, you got supported. And if you trailed in half a lap behind the rest of the field, you got specially supported. Sure, if you were British, you got a huge cheer, but I don't think anyone can seriously complain about that. Everyone there was special, it's just that to us, the Brits were extra special.

I've not looked at the news or any reporting since the Games started. Not on purpose at first, but after a week or so I decided I wouldn't having seen some early griping about lack of British medals. Heard the story about the rounder wheels by word of mouth, by beautiful timing just before coming home to watch a French Pole Vaulter (Lavallenie or something like that) getting huge cheers for winning gold. :) But what? 67 medals??? Blimey, didn't expect that. I thought we'd do well to match the 47 or so of Beijing! Home advantage helped, of course, but even so...

So anyway, I only feel faintly ridiculous for being proud of these Games. There was a genuine warmth there that seemed to gather momentum with the Torch touring the country so when it reached London the whole place lit up. And that was us, that was.

And you know you've got something right when just about the first thing you see when you do go online to find out what other people thought is the Aussie Press being nice. ;) A particular compliment, I have to say, given how good the Sydney Games were. Which brings me on to something else - I'm not going to get into whether this or that were the best Games ever. This was a wonderful Olympic Games and that'll do me.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I will second that.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Given the number of doomsayers before the start it's even better to see them go well :-6
spot

Post by spot »

I shall put a question to the team if I may. Did anyone see a track or field athlete display a navel if male, or cover a navel if female, and if so which. And if not, why does the team think this curious dress code has originated?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

spot;1400749 wrote: I shall put a question to the team if I may. Did anyone see a track or field athlete display a navel if male, or cover a navel if female, and if so which. And if not, why does the team think this curious dress code has originated?

The chuckers, I think, were mostly covered in both sexes: hammer, shot, discus and javelin.

Can't recall a male navel. Probably a design flaw (in my recall mechanism, not a lack of male athletic navels). A conspiracy theorist might suggest it is because aliens are in fact cloning our male athletes.

Oh yes, some of the American girls ran in bodysuits (some special aerodynamic fabric, I assume?), and a couple of the muslim girls ran covered according to code.

But yeah, there was plenty of female beauty on display. Chuckle. Thinking back, some of the men's running suits might have covered things, but they didn't leave much to the imagination.

They are all young, toned and honed to perfection, and glowing with excitement being at one of the greatest events of their lives. They have to have been incredibly unlucky when Nature handed out the parts not to look good. Scary in some cases, but definitely good.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Post by spot »

I've heard bits about the opening ceremony, I thought I'd find out. I'm 40 minutes in so far, the Queen's just been signed at through two verses of a deaf national anthem and the sound track to The Exorcist is now protecting the crowd from whatever juju was being invoked. The first half hour, presided over by Kenneth Branagh, seemed to sum up everything the National Theatre aspired to for the last fifty years - the South Bank is finally victorious, bravo.

How anyone can have been confused by the canter through the last three hundred years I've no idea.

eta: I notice the flutter through the posters for all the previous Olympics omitted Berlin 1936. Were I German or Jesse Owens I'd be annoyed.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1400749 wrote: I shall put a question to the team if I may. Did anyone see a track or field athlete display a navel if male, or cover a navel if female, and if so which. And if not, why does the team think this curious dress code has originated?

While I'm sure I didn't see a male navel, covered female navels certainly weren't as rare as you might think. It offers freedom to the female athlete, whereas for the males, the crop top is probably a fashion statement too far
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1400787 wrote: for the males, the crop top is probably a fashion statement too far
I've had no complaints myself.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1400790 wrote: I've had no complaints myself.

A consequence of the circles you move in perhaps

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1400792 wrote: A consequence of the circles you move in perhaps

Hula hooping may not be a recognized Olympic sport yet, but I keep optimistically sending photos to Lord Coe.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

A consequence of child bearing hips perhaps

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1400795 wrote: A consequence of child bearing hips perhaps

I'll look for recent additions to my artistic collection and post them if you're not careful.

What people did before these time-delay options were added to cameras I've no idea.
spot

Post by spot »

Clodhopper;1400773 wrote: The chuckers, I think, were mostly covered in both sexes: hammer, shot, discus and javelin.
Perhaps it was this particular Olympics then - maybe there was a dress code. Nadzeya Ostapchuk shotted and she's been known to wear all sorts in her time.

Attached files
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

The only thing she hasn't covered herself in, is glory

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1400781 wrote:

How anyone can have been confused by the canter through the last three hundred years I've no idea.

Does the 'anyone' include the rest of the world, who have other things on their mind other than the history of the very small country we call home ?
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1400804 wrote: Does the 'anyone' include the rest of the world, who have other things on their mind other than the history of the very small country we call home ?

Of course. They have history books, surely.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1400805 wrote: Of course. They have history books, surely.

I expect so....................

You are in a particularly jocular mood, have you changed your medication ?
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1400806 wrote: I expect so....................

You are in a particularly jocular mood, have you changed your medication ?

It's that Mike Oldfield section of the opening ceremony, I've seen nothing like it. I can't bring myself to carry on yet, it takes too much absorbing. Where did all the Mary Poppinses come from? Who thought up trampolining on beds? I very much fear I was induced to smile several times.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Much of the pleasure of such events is the fact they are live, take life by the horns and next time view with the rest of human kind.

Stop setting yourself apart, or are you afraid of the reality of living life in tandem with the rest of us plebs ?

Return to “Wide World of Sports”