Shock win for states in an international sport

Discuss all types of sports.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bet you didn't know americans played cricket

BBC Sport - Cricket - Scots suffer ICC World Twenty20 qualifying loss to USA

Neither do the scots :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl well not terribly well at any rate. If the USA can beat us we must really be rubbish.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, that was news to me!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Mostly, it's the Asians, or so I gather (Cricket is India's national sport). I did hear somewhere quite recently that the New York Police were trying to put together a team as part of their community relations program.

You've also got an up-and-coming Rugby Union side - the American Eagles - who compete in the annual Churchill Cup (with England A, Canada and a few others) and qualified for the last World Cup. I remember your winger just burning up Bryan Habana, who is rated as one of the best in the world.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

gmc;1289153 wrote: Bet you didn't know americans played cricket

Neither do the scots :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl well not terribly well at any rate. If the USA can beat us we must really be rubbish.

I would have to imagine that Americans play every known sport on Earth. Whether enough Americans play a particular sport to make an impact on the world stage is another story!

Having said that I think cricket would be one of those sports Americans could, collectively, adapt to very well! Baseball can be compared to cricket in many ways(Hand eye coordination) as well as pitching(*Note "similar" and not "exactly" - I wouldn't for one moment think Americans could beat England or Pakistan at cricket!)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1289175 wrote: I would have to imagine that Americans play every known sport on Earth. Whether enough Americans play a particular sport to make an impact on the world stage is another story!

Having said that I think cricket would be one of those sports Americans could, collectively, adapt to very well! Baseball can be compared to cricket in many ways(Hand eye coordination) as well as pitching(*Note "similar" and not "exactly" - I wouldn't for one moment think Americans could beat England or Pakistan at cricket!)

I'm not sure but as well as Asians, there are a few ex-pat West Indians playing in the States, so maybe one or two of them have qualified to play for the USA.

I'm sure the USA would welcome the introduction of cricket but only the short form ie limited overs - 50 over or 20/20 cricket. The long game - 5 day test cricket - would certainly not pick up over there.

Scotland play to a very reasonable standard, so losing to the US will have knocked them for six :rolleyes:
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1289153 wrote: Bet you didn't know americans played cricket

This Is far more serious than you Imagine. The Americans playing cricket??? How long will It be before they have cheerleaders and burger stalls on the pitch and replace the white flannels for day-glo shorts. No, I'm not having It. I'm writing to Gordon Brown to stop this before the cucumber sandwich become obsolete In favour of hot dogs.

Anyway, How do the Scots play cricket In a Kilt?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

oscar;1289426 wrote: Anyway, How do the Scots play cricket In a Kilt?
Sorry your Oscarness, your showing yourself up again. Every player has his own kilt - they don't share one.

But how do Scots play cricket? Badly - just like the English.......
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
gmc

Post by gmc »

Chookie;1289457 wrote: Sorry your Oscarness, your showing yourself up again. Every player has his own kilt - they don't share one.

But how do Scots play cricket? Badly - just like the English.......:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl That's cruel rubbing it in like that
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

chuckle. During one of our particularly bad patches the team turned up in Aussie for the usual drubbing and one of their journalists said something like, "So, Mr (whoever it was) is 'English batting collapse' all one word?"

Sadly, the truthful reply was "Yes!" though several less polite ones no doubt occurred...:wah:
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Wide World of Sports”