Why do you support your favorite team?

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I thought it would be interesting to hear everyone's story related to why you support the team you call your "favorite"...

So...

I'll begin...

I started to follow Fulham FC because I've always admired Brian McBride when he played here in Ohio for the Columbus Crew and they grew on me!

LOVE Fulham Football Club!

I consider my interest in Fulham Football Club! to be divine fate due to a couple of reasons...1) I ALWAYS LOVE an underdog and at the time Fulham Football Club! was truly that! I LOVE to see teams that play with 100% heart and conviction! 2) Fulham FC is a Club based off of admirable philosophies! Fulham Football Club! is a Club that understands what it's like to be a working man! Not a big business oriented team that sees players live and die by money! I admire that!

I also turned to the Cincinnati Bengals after my favorite team as a child (Cleveland Browns) Left the League in 1999...I chose to follow the Bengals because I can drive no more than a 1.5 hour drive to see them live! I then grew to admire Carson Palmer and other members of the Bengals so they grew on m e as well!

I couldn't continue to like a team that left the League and then came back to acquire players from scratch, literally!

So, what say ye!?!?!?!?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

No one has a story? Nothing?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I've supported Chelsea fc for about 45 years. As a young kid you just pick a side that your best friend supports and my mate Andrew supported Chelsea. I caught up with Andrew on friends reunited and discovered that he had defected to Liverpool some years later and I'm not sure I can ever forgive him.

The players slowly become your heroes over the years. Names that still conjure up wonderful memories when discussed with fellow Blues fans. Bobby Tambling, Charlie Cooke, the late great Peter Osgood. All heroes from the 60's and 70's and who's names were written all over my shin pads and who inspired me every time I slipped them on, on a freezing saturday morning. The balls then were huge and heavy and hurt like hell when they soaked up the morning dew and it slapped against your thigh.

I've cried laughed and bled Chelsea. Seen them at the top of the Premiership and bottom of the second division. We've had many lean years but remember listening to us playing in the European Cup Winners Cup on a radio under my blankets, when I should have been asleep. From then up until the mid 90's when Hoddle took us just that little bit further and managed to bring some great names to the Bridge. We climbed a little, faltered a bit but never lost the faith. Much to cheer about but little to celebrate

Now we are where we have always dreamed of as kids. A name and respect in European and domestic football. Last weekend we added the Premiership and FA cup double to our history but we will not be satisfied untill we can see our name engraved on the Champions League Trophy.

We know we dont have the pedigree and history of Manchester United or Liverpool and I'll be long gone if we ever attain what they have but it doesnt stop us dreaming and dreaming is what every supporter of every League and non-league club does every saturday
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Everyone knows I love the Lakers, that is just a given for an L.A. girl.

But I love the Chivas soccer team. Watch them and follow their stats. The reason why:

I used to take my kids to Rosarito, Mexico for a week of summer vacation, every year. The ladies would braid my daughters hair on the beach, they were so pretty. Every year they tried to get me to have mine braided, they offered it for free-it was knee length then, and I think I would have been a great walking advertisement for them. One year I gave in, and let them do it-lovely lavender beads on the ends. :-6

The next day, my mother came for a few days visit. Oh my, she did not like me walking around looking like Bo in 10. “Susie, you go down to the Mercado right now, and get something to put over that head of yours.”:(

Silly mom, off I went. I found a nice bandana of the Guadalajara Chivas soccer team, thought to myself-I’ll wear it until my mom leaves, wash it out and give it to one of my ESL students the next year, they love that team.

I did just that, and lo and behold, that team won the championship. They went and played a game in the Rose Bowl, and my students took the bandana. The team members all signed it-oh, all those lovely team players wrote such nice things to me. I have it hanging up in my room today, and is my pride and joy. :-4
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1310669 wrote: I've supported Chelsea fc for about 45 years. As a young kid you just pick a side that your best friend supports and my mate Andrew supported Chelsea. I caught up with Andrew on friends reunited and discovered that he had defected to Liverpool some years later and I'm not sure I can ever forgive him.

The players slowly become your heroes over the years. Names that still conjure up wonderful memories when discussed with fellow Blues fans. Bobby Tambling, Charlie Cooke, the late great Peter Osgood. All heroes from the 60's and 70's and who's names were written all over my shin pads and who inspired me every time I slipped them on, on a freezing saturday morning. The balls then were huge and heavy and hurt like hell when they soaked up the morning dew and it slapped against your thigh.

I've cried laughed and bled Chelsea. Seen them at the top of the Premiership and bottom of the second division. We've had many lean years but remember listening to us playing in the European Cup Winners Cup on a radio under my blankets, when I should have been asleep. From then up until the mid 90's when Hoddle took us just that little bit further and managed to bring some great names to the Bridge. We climbed a little, faltered a bit but never lost the faith. Much to cheer about but little to celebrate

Now we are where we have always dreamed of as kids. A name and respect in European and domestic football. Last weekend we added the Premiership and FA cup double to our history but we will not be satisfied untill we can see our name engraved on the Champions League Trophy.

We know we dont have the pedigree and history of Manchester United or Liverpool and I'll be long gone if we ever attain what they have but it doesnt stop us dreaming and dreaming is what every supporter of every League and non-league club does every saturday

Actually that story has answered quite a few questions I've had pertaining to Fulham...I think my story may begin here(Merely referencing "football" as opposed to implying there's an age gap of some significant degree obviously) with Fulham making it to the first ever Europa League Final only to lose it with minutes left in the second extra time...I'm very sickened from a short term point of view but as I reflect upon the 5 years I've followed Fulham I can honestly say the last two have been quite extraordinary

:yh_wink

Thanks
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

chonsigirl;1310687 wrote: Everyone knows I love the Lakers, that is just a given for an L.A. girl.

But I love the Chivas soccer team. Watch them and follow their stats. The reason why:

I used to take my kids to Rosarito, Mexico for a week of summer vacation, every year. The ladies would braid my daughters hair on the beach, they were so pretty. Every year they tried to get me to have mine braided, they offered it for free-it was knee length then, and I think I would have been a great walking advertisement for them. One year I gave in, and let them do it-lovely lavender beads on the ends. :-6

The next day, my mother came for a few days visit. Oh my, she did not like me walking around looking like Bo in 10. “Susie, you go down to the Mercado right now, and get something to put over that head of yours.”:(

Silly mom, off I went. I found a nice bandana of the Guadalajara Chivas soccer team, thought to myself-I’ll wear it until my mom leaves, wash it out and give it to one of my ESL students the next year, they love that team.

I did just that, and lo and behold, that team won the championship. They went and played a game in the Rose Bowl, and my students took the bandana. The team members all signed it-oh, all those lovely team players wrote such nice things to me. I have it hanging up in my room today, and is my pride and joy. :-4

How delightful :yh_wink
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1310764 wrote: Actually that story has answered quite a few questions I've had pertaining to Fulham...I think my story may begin here(Merely referencing "football" as opposed to implying there's an age gap of some significant degree obviously) with Fulham making it to the first ever Europa League Final only to lose it with minutes left in the second extra time...I'm very sickened from a short term point of view but as I reflect upon the 5 years I've followed Fulham I can honestly say the last two have been quite extraordinary

:yh_wink

Thanks

Fulham can be rightfully proud of their achievement. They have come a long way in the past few years, further than they probably dreamed of. The supporters of the other Prem teams pretty much all agree and are delighted to see them do so well.

Football in the UK is huge. No huge isnt big enough of a word. Its astronomical. There will be a few here on FG who will understand the enormity of it all. Some will obviously dismiss it. Abbey for instance is a seasoned Man Utd supporter, she understands the passions that arise on the terraces. My wife has always hated football. Her eyes glaze over at the thought of it. Last weekend I took her to her first football match, at Wembley. The atmosphere took her breath away and now she has demanded that I take her to Stamford Bridge (home of Chelsea fc ) next season, such was her delight at the whole event.

Some time back in the late 70's early 80's the legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly expounded the passion there was for football.....

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

.....and that just about sums it up :D
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I'm a Steeler fan because I lived in Pittsburgh and still have friends there. I knew a couple of the players a long time ago & worked at a health club where they worked out. I still go to Pittsburgh just about every year. That is one BIG football town! Since I moved to Cal. this last time, I started watching Angel's baseball with my daughter who is an avid fan and I've been to some games.

I'll probably take some heat for mentioning Pittsburgh. :wah:

Return to “Wide World of Sports”