World Cup South Africa 2010!

Discuss all types of sports.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Both teams advance to the next round!

Way to go, USA, what a great goal that was!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Words can't describe the relief I felt watching that goal go in after what seemed like an endless eternity of frustration.

So many chances yet couldn't finish. They all played very very well

Altidore is becoming a complete world class player and if he keeps excelling like he is then he'll be playing at one of the top clubs in the World.

Way to go boys :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

USA will probably face Serbia in round of 16...

Should be a good game... :yh_wink
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

K.Snyder;1318271 wrote: Words can't describe the relief I felt watching that goal go in after what seemed like an endless eternity of frustration.

So many chances yet couldn't finish. They all played very very well

Altidore is becoming a complete world class player and if he keeps excelling like he is then he'll be playing at one of the top clubs in the World.

Way to go boys :yh_bigsmi

Congratulations! USA was the best team on the field. Methinks they have little sympathy with the nerves of the fans.:yh_laugh.

Congratulations also to England, they played well. I think the best two teams have gone through.

Best of luck for the next round.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Much better for us. Not entirely there but the spirit and fight certainly were. Rooney, although much improved still has a way to go

Saw the highlights of USA v Algeria. Thats the sort of game that makes football the best in the world. Pure drama.

I agree, Altidore has looked like a very fine player
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I had a full on headache in the second half. Had to be at the doctors by 9am so followed it on my IPHONE amen for Landon we move on the tension is killing me. ;):-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, Italy is out!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'm so happy that my country is doing well. So many people think that Americans do not like soccer.

I teach in a school district where almost all children love, love, love soccer....It's a big sport here:-6
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

If the US doesnt embrace the game fully after this tournament then they never will. Womens soccer took off really well but its been an uphill struggle for the mens game there. I appreciate the physical size of the country brings logistical problems to a professional league but maybe the success of the US team may give it a huge boost back home

Winston Churchill
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I think USA can beat both Ghana and Uruguay (they should win), which takes them all the way to the semi finals.

England, because they did not end up on top of their group, has to face Germany and then most likely Argentina. Both tough games, but I have confidence in your guys!:)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1318612 wrote: If the US doesnt embrace the game fully after this tournament then they never will. Womens soccer took off really well but its been an uphill struggle for the mens game there. I appreciate the physical size of the country brings logistical problems to a professional league but maybe the success of the US team may give it a huge boost back home

It's far worse than that I'm afraid.

The population collectively refusing to be brainwashed by corporatism by the schear fact these businesses cannot advertise during 10 minute break intervals to "inform us" of their "great new product" then soccer in USA will remain a small group for the more intellectual and cultured civilized homo sapiens.(Long sentence but every bit of it is true)

Kids grow up here pressured into calling it a "sissy sport" either because it's normally played during American football season or due to the dramatizations of the players(Which I have to say I completely despise myself but I can't help but Love the game! for what it is! NOT DIVING!)which leads to the former and is then associated with "forigners" due to the fact the sport is played by the World resulting in a self indulged arrogence. The only "natural" effect of this is to remain biased and close minded, it's sickening

The game will take a while here but I think it's progressing quite well the more time people have to innately become sickened by the shenanigans American athletes pull in our sports here.

It's about money pure and simple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

OK I'm ready for tomorrow I think !! I don't know if I can watch another USA nail bitter hopefully they will come out ready score lots and make me a happy camper. :-6:-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

whata time is it on?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

PST time has it on at 11:30am on ABC we play Ghana. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Here is to wishing USA all of the best. I should be rooting for Ghana because it is a fellow African state, but what the heck, I like the type of soccer the USA team play.

My prediction 2-1 for USA. :wah:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I hope your right Dixie here we go game on.. !! USA
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Woooohooooo...1 USA and I Ghana...

Did I just see Bill Clinton:-3:-6
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Yes you did sitting with Mick Jagger.. !! :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

CARLA;1319251 wrote: Yes you did sitting with Mick Jagger.. !! :-6

:wah::wah: Yes, I did.

I met Bill Clinton once and shook his hand...I was thrilled :wah:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Dixie;1319093 wrote: Here is to wishing USA all of the best. I should be rooting for Ghana because it is a fellow African state, but what the heck, I like the type of soccer the USA team play.

My prediction 2-1 for USA. :wah:

Thank you Dixie...That's so nice of you. I see that you still don't have your country's map in your profile......bummer...
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I'm sweating just watching those kids running around!:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oops, America 1 Ghana 2 ! it's extra time. If USA get an equalizer and it's still equal at full time extra time, then there will be penalties. You've got to admit that was a great Ghana goal though!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

G#Gill;1319257 wrote: Oops, America 1 Ghana 2 ! it's extra time. If USA get an equalizer and it's still equal at full time extra time, then there will be penalties. You've got to admit that was a great Ghana goal though!

Yes, they really are excellent players Gill.....a hard team to beat.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Congrats to Ghana....they were an excellent team and played well.

I also thought the American team played well:-6
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, that was game! Overtime and everything.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I guess it's Ghana all the way now.:guitarist

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

The best team won good, game play by Ghana ..!! :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

chonsigirl;1319261 wrote: Wow, that was game! Overtime and everything.

Yes that it was! Wow I am breathless...what a match! Exactly as one would expect when the "bigger" teams meet up. The Uruguay / Korea game was also very tight.

But now I am rooting, shouting and cheering for Africa. Go Ghana! **doing Zulu dancing and kicking** :guitarist
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

As you should Dixie they are a good team strong, fast and determined. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

USA can be very proud of their achievements. They've done very well.

I am glad to see one African team to progress to the quarter finals, albeit at the expense of USA. Bob Bradley has done a fine job. His starting line up may not have been quite right. He obviously thought so, making a substitution early in the first half.

Carla/K Snyder...

Do you have any idea what happened to your young footballer we heard so much of a few years ago. Freddie Edu. He was gonna be the best thing since sliced bread but we've heard nothing of him for a couple of years

Winston Churchill
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

England / Germany next.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Not sure why EDU didn't get selected for the world cup team. I think he is play in the "Super League Greece". I know he was on the team that tried to qualify for the 2008 Olympics. Thought he was playing with the National team U-23 and got called up to Natinal team often.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

theia

Post by theia »

Any predictions for the England/Germany game today?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

theia;1319353 wrote: Any predictions for the England/Germany game today?

Eish, this one is WWII all over again. The French folded, the Italians make no contribution, so it is all up to England and Germany to find a winner.

My prediction, 1-0 for Germany, apologies:o to the England supporters
theia

Post by theia »

Dixie;1319355 wrote: Eish, this one is WWII all over again. The French folded, the Italians make no contribution, so it is all up to England and Germany to find a winner.

My prediction, 1-0 for Germany, apologies:o to the England supporters

That's funny, Dixie :D

Don't apologise, I was just wondering what people thought. I would like to see England win, but who knows?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

The pubs are full (they have big screen coverage of England v Germany), the streets around me are empty - not even kids out there, no traffic, not even any mums! I wonder why? :yh_rotfl

It's boiling hot with a light breeze. Good luck England - just click as a team please! No injuries or yellow cards either!
spot

Post by spot »

Oh dear.

That's one goal we have to catch up on, then.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

German goalie kicked a hellova long way, reached German striker and bang - goal to Germany! Sh!t ! :-5
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Looks like we will have to park our car elsewhere, over night! Sunday is usually safe to leave our car outside our house............not tonight Josephine! :(
theia

Post by theia »

I missed a goal somewhere...come on England
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

That should have been a 2nd goal for England ffs. It must have been a metre ove r the damn line ! Where are the cameras like they use in rugby ffs!!! That ref should go to specsavers! :-5:-5:-5:-5:-5
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

You were robbed :-5. Can you imagine how the US felt it happend to them 5 times this world cup. England coming to life I like their hustle. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1319377 wrote: That should have been a 2nd goal for England ffs. It must have been a metre ove r the damn line ! Where are the cameras like they use in rugby ffs!!! That ref should go to specsavers! :-5:-5:-5:-5:-5

Twenty years from now there'll still be people in pubs talking about that one.

The second half will be exciting.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I just hope that England net one very early in the 2nd half, hold their own defence and let the midfield do their jobs. The Germans will know they have had a let off, and they will be a little worried, so let's hope England can carry on with the determination they showed towards the end of the first half. They played like pratts for half an hour in the first half, then came a goal, and the game changed, and England woke up!
spot

Post by spot »

It's the first game we've played there that's been worth watching, whoever wins.

I reckon we're capable still.
spot

Post by spot »

Ah.

Oops.
spot

Post by spot »

Gordon Bennett.

4-1.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Getting ugly now.. :( Defense wake up. !! Germany in total control now unless there is a miracle England is out. :( I had hoped otherwise.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Well. Congratulations to Germany, by far the better team. Why do we have so many very good players who play wonderfully every week in the best league in the world but turn uo at major tournaments and make complete arses of themselves ? I Havent seen defending like that since I was watching the local pub team play on a Sunday morning. Their excuse was, they'd been on the **** the night before. Disgraceful performance.

Capello came with all the credentials - and I dont want to make excuses for the players - and has to go under a huge cloud of incompetence. Too many good players being played completely out of position. First rule. Play your best players in their best positions. It aint rocket surgery....or even brain science come to that. And when the crunch comes and toy have to score.....what does he do ? Take of one player capable of scoring and replace him with a holding striker who hasnt scored since Noah was a baby. Fabio will leave with a very fat wallet and we get left with egg on our faces. Not a great return for our hard earned, is it ?

I'm afraid we have been made the laughing stock of the football world after this tournament.

Sure the ball was a yard over the line and FIFA will make their lame excuses as they always do - Sepp Blatter is an incompetent arsehole - but we never deserved to be quarter finalists, over the performance of the four games.

We are mugs. Pure and simple

Winston Churchill
theia

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1319399 wrote: Well. Congratulations to Germany, by far the better team. Why do we have so many very good players who play wonderfully every week in the best league in the world but turn uo at major tournaments and make complete arses of themselves ? I Havent seen defending like that since I was watching the local pub team play on a Sunday morning. Their excuse was, they'd been on the **** the night before. Disgraceful performance.

Capello came with all the credentials - and I dont want to make excuses for the players - and has to go under a huge cloud of incompetence. Too many good players being played completely out of position. First rule. Play your best players in their best positions. It aint rocket surgery....or even brain science come to that. And when the crunch comes and toy have to score.....what does he do ? Take of one player capable of scoring and replace him with a holding striker who hasnt scored since Noah was a baby. Fabio will leave with a very fat wallet and we get left with egg on our faces. Not a great return for our hard earned, is it ?

I'm afraid we have been made the laughing stock of the football world after this tournament.

Sure the ball was a yard over the line and FIFA will make their lame excuses as they always do - Sepp Blatter is an incompetent arsehole - but we never deserved to be quarter finalists, over the performance of the four games.

We are mugs. Pure and simple

Isn't it disappointing, Snowfire? I only follow football in the World Cup, but I still felt the "pain." My brother was very much of the same opinion as you.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”