World Cup South Africa 2010!

Discuss all types of sports.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

CARLA;1316285 wrote: I wasn't like they didn't have a ton of chances the Swiss goalie and their defense was very good. :-6

I agree

Very disciplined performance by the Swiss, defensively. The Spanish are very technically sound and pushed the ball around wonderfully but ultimately, no end result. The Swiss just played to their own strengths

I thought Chile were very good this afternoon too. I can see the Spain/Chile game being a goodun
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

A very ordinary performance by Bafana. We were beaten by a superior, focused team.

Modise was slow again, no aggression anywhere... argh...just not good enough.

:-1
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I can't get the buzzing out of my head...:-5:wah:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

3-0 is what we call a spanking here. I haven't seen the game yet will watch it tonight so sorry they didn't come out and play better.:(

[QUOTE]

A very ordinary performance by Bafana. We were beaten by a superior, focused team.

Modise was slow again, no aggression anywhere... argh...just not good enough.

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Dixie;1316284 wrote: Switzerland beat Spain 1-0. Is Spain going to choke again? (Just like our cricket team)

Next round, do or die for Bafana:eek:

CARLA;1316285 wrote: I wasn't like they didn't have a ton of chances the Swiss goalie and their defense was very good. :-6

I've questioned Spain's finishing for the last couple of games I've seen them play.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

South Africa losing to Uruguay is nothing to be ashamed of. I've always given Uruguay and Paraguay the respect they deserve. Maybe it's a coincidence in seeing them play on occasions they do particularly well but I refuse to accept that's true.

They're both very good teams and play very well together.

South Africa did play that game 1-0 for a large part of the game and the red card was unfortunate and also ridiculous in my mind. That game could have very easily ended 1-0.

South Africa will play their hearts out against France. France is very good but this is the World Cup so everyone is obviously good.

I'll be cheering on Bafana Bafana
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1316669 wrote: I've questioned Spain's finishing for the last couple of games I've seen them play.

Dont write them off just yet. They are bulging with quality. On another day it could have been a very different score.

As for Argentina, they are performing as expected. They are full of quality too. I just wonder what will happen when they come up against a quality team and Maradonna has to make tactical decisions. The same happened in the last World Cup. Played a few great games and scored plenty of goals, then slipped up at the crucial moment. Will they do it again ?

Mexico v France is a lively match. Who said nil nils were boring ? :rolleyes:

Winston Churchill
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Snowfire;1316674 wrote:

Not the South Africans. A draw is about the only thing that can save us now.

Everybody is depressed, some even threaten to throw their vuvuzelas away, yes it is that bad.:)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

2-0 Mexico 5 minutes to go. Noticed today that you can actually hear the crowd over the vuvuzuelas most of the time. :-6

Tomorrow big day for the USA team we either show up or essentially we go home.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Dixie;1316683 wrote: Not the South Africans. A draw is about the only thing that can save us now.

Everybody is depressed, some even threaten to throw their vuvuzelas away, yes it is that bad.:)

Its not all over for you yet. If you beat France and there is a result, either way, of Mexico v Uruguay then you could progress out of the group.

France were woeful. No unity in the French camp at all

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1316674 wrote: As for Argentina, they are performing as expected. They are full of quality too. I just wonder what will happen when they come up against a quality team and Maradonna has to make tactical decisions. The same happened in the last World Cup. Played a few great games and scored plenty of goals, then slipped up at the crucial moment. Will they do it again ?I have been hesitant to give Argentina praise thus far because quite frankly Nigeria hasn't looked up for anything and, well, South Korea didn't perform at all in my mind. They stood around staring on a couple of those goals and looked shocked.

Snowfire;1316674 wrote:

Good to see CONCACAF representing well. I don't like some of the Mexican fan base at all and the goalie they used before Perez is a classless twerp

Something sanchez...
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Solvinia 2 USA 0 at the half the US looks sloppy unorganized, not marking up awful. Announcer said we are in a bit of a hole, no its a huge hole we are in. :-5
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

What a comeback now can we win?? :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

theia

Post by theia »

CARLA;1316849 wrote: What a comeback now can we win?? :-6

Just saw that goal, Carla :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Bad call by the REF that was a US goal. :-5
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Very good fight back by the USA boys. Full of fight and spirit.

Denied a perfectly good goal by the referee. There were eight players doing the tango in the box. I didnt see any infringement by a US player. Still they have to be very happy with the draw. That makes the group all the more interesting.

Now everybody's first game is out of the way and the worry of not losing your first game, we are seeing much more progressive, attacking play.

Germany's loss today may be a shock but that is precisely what makes this the greatest sporting competition in the world. There are always shocks and I'm sure there will be more :D

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well..................... England 0 Algeria 0 ....................... well............................

The England team, were uninspired, uninspiring. They all worked hard, but went nowhere, they were not the England team. We have some excellent players, but they just didn't click. They haven't clicked at all yet. The frustration in the team must be collosal. Is it the manager? Is it that all the players are football weary? We slagged off the French, the European champions, for under achieving. I don't think we should slag any team off, when our own team is under achieving so badly.

I think Crouch should have been brought on a lot sooner than 15 minutes from the end!

England performed much better under Sven ! He is now managing Ivory Coast who held Portugal (with Ronaldo) to a 0-0 draw! Now there's a thing!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
theia

Post by theia »

G#Gill;1316913 wrote: Well..................... England 0 Algeria 0 ....................... well............................

The England team, were uninspired, uninspiring. They all worked hard, but went nowhere, they were not the England team. We have some excellent players, but they just didn't click. They haven't clicked at all yet. The frustration in the team must be collosal. Is it the manager? Is it that all the players are football weary? We slagged off the French, the European champions, for under achieving. I don't think we should slag any team off, when our own team is under achieving so badly.

I think Crouch should have been brought on a lot sooner than 15 minutes from the end!

England performed much better under Sven ! He is now managing Ivory Coast who held Portugal (with Ronaldo) to a 0-0 draw! Now there's a thing!

A commentator on ITV just queried whether England's performance is adversely affected by the manager...it makes you wonder
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Absolutely dreadful. I cannot remember ever seeing us play that badly. I've never seen Rooney so ineffective. He is supposed to be one of the best footballers in the world and he looks a country mile off of that honour

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1316916 wrote: Absolutely dreadful. I cannot remember ever seeing us play that badly. I've never seen Rooney so ineffective. He is supposed to be one of the best footballers in the world and he looks a country mile off of that honour

That was one of the most dispiriting games I can remember watching. By the end of it I was rather hoping the Algerians would put one in just to make clear how dreadfully we'd pointlessly lumbered around. They were quicker, they changed pace, they seemed more intelligent and they actually looked like they were playing a game instead of just doing a job.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I'm astonished to see the statistics suggest we had more of the posession. We did absolutely bugger all with it. Over long passes, passes too short, posession given away cheaply, two of the worst shots from Gerrard, that nearly left the stadium. Just devoid of any imagination.

Joe Cole on the bench. One player that could add some spark and inspiration. Heskey lumbering about like a new born giraffe. Everybody else with their head up their arse.

Things have to change radically. Cole on the left, Gerrard just off Rooney. Everybody and his dog think that...

...except Fabio

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Like I said, Snowfire, could it be that the team don't like Fabio and his manner?

The team liked Sven........................ must be something in it eh?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1316934 wrote: Like I said, Snowfire, could it be that the team don't like Fabio and his manner?

The team liked Sven........................ must be something in it eh?

Well, I can understand the sentiment to a point. Fabio rules with an iron rod. He has instilled some long needed discipline. Its probably something the players are not used to. Somre of them are used to getting their own way with their clubs.

Sven on the other hand - and Mclaren - were far too casual, far too soft. Remember the furore about the WAGS. Also Sven just got it all wrong with his tactics. When Maclaren took over, he'd been too pally with the players as a No 2 and never gained enough respect from the players when he moved up.

England were never this bad in the qualifiers and just about all of them agreed, that the measure of discipline Capello had bought with him seemed to be working. He has a huge legacy in European football behind him. I just wonder if he has the right view of English football. I certainly dont like this long ball up to Heskey routine

If we fail to qualify from the group, the press will go for him and you will hear the calls for Hodgson to be the next England Manager.

Winston Churchill
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

Snigger, snigger.

You lot are starting to sound like Scotland supporters :D

Relax, the best thing to come out of the competition so far is:- YouTube - Dave Henson - The Vuvuzela Song
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Not much of a performance by England I saw the second half just awful. At least the USA came out the second half and fought and it should have been a win for them except for the terrible call by the ref.. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I can see it is clear that we will not get HM loyal subjects excited about the vuvuzellas, but perhaps we can interest you in our Makarapa's?

Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/20egpj - Uploaded by clivesimpkins

:yh_rotfl

I just love Spot's discription of doing a job instead of playing a game. It so sums up Bafana Bafana. BTW "fana" means boy and the prefix "ba" makes it plural. I just thought you can do with some more utterly useless information:D
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

There seem to be a number of upsets lately, like the Italian NZ game. I am starting to think that when we exit this tournament after the first round, we might well be in some very good company.

Looking at it this way, half the teams leave (all right I knew that:)), so it is not so bad for a team rated in the 80's?

I hear the French are fighting with each other and won't even practice. We certainly do not mind, Bafana Bafana need all the help they can get:sneaky:.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

New Zealand shut down Italy in a great defensive erffort. They had a chance to win it in the second half by inches.

The way I see it all the predicted power houses haven't preformed as expected so it is anyone's game and I like it that way makes it fun to watch these games. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I really enjoyed the Paraguay/Slovakia game, very entertaining (for a change). Good win for Paraguay - best of luck to them ! :-6 :D
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'm AUSTRALIAN..........................RED CARD!!!!!

thankyou I'll be off now.

and NewbloodyZealand is doing better than us......now that hurts.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

USA :guitarist:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Lon

Post by Lon »

fuzzywuzzy;1317473 wrote: I'm AUSTRALIAN..........................RED CARD!!!!!

thankyou I'll be off now.

and NewbloodyZealand is doing better than us......now that hurts.

Aw-----have a nice bowel of Kiwi Fruit and the pain will go away.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

:wah::wah: smartarse.:wah::wah:

Did it ever occur to you how bad it will look if we are pushed out and New Zealand gets up there? We'll never live it down.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Fuzzy, if it is any help, New Zealand have to play Paraguay on Thursday, and Paraguay are playing very well ! Australia will have to beat Serbia on Wednesday and by a few goals, not just 1-0, and they will need Ghana to beat Germany on Wednesday !
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Well I think USA had shown tremendous character to come back from 2-0 down in the fashion they did. They played very well in the second half and would have been nice to see that 3rd goal accepted but I suppose no use in complaining about it.

I never expected England to draw Algeria. I just don't know what to say to that.

On that it looks like the South American teams are the only ones that shown up to play, with the exception of USA's second half performance :yh_wink

Top class goals
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

G#Gill;1317535 wrote: Fuzzy, if it is any help, New Zealand have to play Paraguay on Thursday, and Paraguay are playing very well ! Australia will have to beat Serbia on Wednesday and by a few goals, not just 1-0, and they will need Ghana to beat Germany on Wednesday !

Haha ha ha ah New Zealand will lose.

That's all that matters.:wah:

Lets face it, we're not going to beat Serbia.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Bafana Bafana has promised the public that they will keep to the game plan this time. The type of game they played last time was exactly the stuff they dish up in all the local club games. It might be fun to play this way, but it will just not get the nation excited, because it will never beat a decent team.

So France is in disarray - if one can believe the press. Perhaps we can beat them and achieve two things. Get some pride back and make a number of Irish people very very happy. :wah:

Alas, I think even beating France will not help us to the second round because the goal difference is to big.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Dixie;1317594 wrote: Bafana Bafana has promised the public that they will keep to the game plan this time. The type of game they played last time was exactly the stuff they dish up in all the local club games. It might be fun to play this way, but it will just not get the nation excited, because it will never beat a decent team.

So France is in disarray - if one can believe the press. Perhaps we can beat them and achieve two things. Get some pride back and make a number of Irish people very very happy. :wah:

Alas, I think even beating France will not help us to the second round because the goal difference is to big.

Bafana Bafana would have to beat France by 5 goals while Mexico and Uruguay doesn't tie.

Coming from a Fulham fan and just witnessing my team come back from a 2-0 deficit to earn a point I can say go get em with all of my heart! :yh_wink
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I believe the fact that Bafana Bafana did play in the tournament, even though they did not quality, is going to make a big difference. I think the boys finally saw the excitement of playing in such a big arena and having a huge fan base. I hope that now that they have "smelled" it, they will have the discipline to hone their skills and become the team that they have the potential for.

Also, FIFA will spend money in soccer development in Africa. To become the same caliber Soccer nation that we are in Rugby, we need to do the same as rugby. Soccer potential need to be developed from young. Potential players should be identified at the age of about 13 and then given the facilities to develop their skill and learn the work ethic regarding sport or just establish that "this is really not for me".
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

RSA 2 - France 1.

I think Bafana Bafana played well today. They were positive and they attacked. Also, I did not see one yellow card for us. I believe we can move forward from this game. Yes, we are not going to the next round, but I expected that. We have the same amount of points as Mexico, which is not shabby at all.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Dixie;1317954 wrote: RSA 2 - France 1.

I think Bafana Bafana played well today. They were positive and they attacked. Also, I did not see one yellow card for us. I believe we can move forward from this game. Yes, we are not going to the next round, but I expected that. We have the same amount of points as Mexico, which is not shabby at all.

Yes South Africa did very well.

Beating France is a very respectable achievement very well done by your boys. :yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok guys and Ladies!!!!!! :yh_wink :yh_kiss this is it!

We've waited 4 long years for this and now our teams play tomorrow(USA and England). Tomorrow truly defines where our nations prestige in soccer/football lays.

Here's to a good game and good times :yh_wink

:yh_kiss <-------For The Ladies!!!!!!!
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1318108 wrote: Ok guys and Ladies!!!!!! :yh_wink :yh_kiss this is it!

We've waited 4 long years for this and now our teams play tomorrow(USA and England). Tomorrow truly defines where our nations prestige in soccer/football lays.

Here's to a good game and good times :yh_wink

:yh_kiss

how many more games K?
Life is just to short for drama.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;1318110 wrote: how many more games K?

Well it depends on USA and England's results tomorrow. They both play the other two sides in the group and a tie from each would see USA progress through unless England tie by more than 2 goals while USA draws at 0-0. England drawing at 2-2 while USA drawing at 0-0 would see the team with the better away record go through which I don't know of that stat specifically.

If USA and England go through then one of them will play a maximum of 4 more games ending at either winner of the World Cup South Africa 2010 or runners up.

USA would meet England again in the Semifinals I think if they both progress through the round of 16...

*Edit -- *Price check on isle 25?*
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1318112 wrote: Well it depends on USA and England's results tomorrow. They both play the other two sides in the group and a tie from each would see USA progress through unless England tie by more than 2 goals while USA draws at 0-0. England drawing at 2-2 while USA drawing at 0-0 would see the team with the better way record go through which I don't know of that stat specifically.

If USA and England go through then one of them will play a maximum of 4 more games ending at either winner of the World Cup South Africa 2010 or runners up.

USA would meet England again in the Semifinals I think if they both progress through the round of 16...

*Edit -- *Price check on isle 25?*

:yh_rotfl

so they still have a ways to go, thanks babe.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;1318114 wrote: :yh_rotfl

so they still have a ways to go, thanks babe.

Oh, yes,.."a ways to go" darling, yes... :wah: :yh_wink :yh_kiss
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1318116 wrote: Oh, yes,.."a ways to go" darling, yes... :wah: :yh_wink :yh_kiss

I don't need to know who your hoping will win!:yh_rotfl
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Good-bye France.....

what a mess they turned out to be....
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

U.S. 0, Algeria 0 | England 1, Slovenia 0

Current scores.