World Cup South Africa 2010!

Discuss all types of sports.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1315457 wrote: Why are you all against Wayne Rooney? Is it because he plays for Manchester United, and is one of the best strikers in the world. OK he didn't score a goal today, but he will get a few goals, you'll see. :p

He didn't score a goal today? I don't think he even touched it, not in the second half anyhow. I may be doing him an injustice since I was listening on Radio 5.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Rooney had plenty of touches in the second half and some good looks at goal but no luck. I was sure he was going to score in the second half.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

CARLA;1315498 wrote: Rooney had plenty of touches in the second have and some good looks a goal. I was sure he was going to score in the second half.

That Rooney on the pitch today, isnt the one we are familiar with Carla. Having the label "one of the best footballers in the world" makes us expect a much more influential role in the game. Like Messi today. He IS with out doubt, one of the best footballers in the world and it showed. He runs things at the front, for Argentina, as he does for Barcelona. Rooney hardly got into second gear and was a yard off the pace. USA must have been delighted with his performance. I hope he's just building himself up because he has so much more to offer

I thought you defended extremely well. Bodies on the line and all that
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

CARLA;1315498 wrote: Rooney had plenty of touches in the second half and some good looks at goal but no luck. I was sure he was going to score in the second half.

Yes, he came close a couple of times, but I think it was just a case of it wasn't his day today. But Steve Gerard's goal was a cracker! It's such a pity we haven't got Peter Shilton in goal! :( ;)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I have seen Rooney play a couple of time and your right he was a little slow today. Our defense was good and our goalie was beyond good his saves today were top notch. We got lucky with our goal that's for sure. It will be England and the US who will advance in our group, unless Algeria and Slovenia are better than I think they are. ;)

[QUOTE]That Rooney on the pitch today, isnt the one we are familiar with Carla. Having the label "one of the best footballers in the world" makes us expect a much more influential role in the game. Like Messi today. He IS with out doubt, one of the best footballers in the world and it showed. He runs things at the front, for Argentina, as he does for Barcelona. Rooney hardly got into second gear and was a yard off the pace. USA must have been delighted with his performance. I hope he's just building himself up because he has so much more to offer

I thought you defended extremely well. Bodies on the line and all that[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Tan

Post by Tan »

CARLA;1263993 wrote: Unlike Hugh ;) I will be watching as many games as I can steam at the Office.. :wah:

Me too Carla:)
Tan
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Slovinia and Ghana are winners so far today. I watched the Ghana game they out played Serbia from the get go in my opinion great speed on the ball. They never stopped trying can't say that about Serbia they looked lack luster.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Slovenia are now top team in Group C, higher than England or USA ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl Exactly we better wake up.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I watched both games of group C and I think England would beat both Slovenia and Algeria comprehensively. Also both games are "south" in Cape Town and PE where the weather is much more like that of England.

USA plays up north in Pretoria and Johannesburg. There is always the altitude thing and Pretoria might well go to about 23 degrees, which, BTW, is considered a decent winters day there :).
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh dear, you've got to feel a bit sorry for the Aussies. Germany are performing another Blitzkrieg ! 4 nil to Germany and it is stilll being played!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Auzzie's just don't have it today and down 1 player to a red card. Germany on the other hand has been flawless. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1315720 wrote: Auzzie's just don't have it today and down 1 player to a red card. Germany on the other hand has been flawless. :-6

Are we gonna take the whole thing Carla?:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Lon

Post by Lon »

My age group never grew up with soccer and therefore have shown little if any interest in the World Cup. Those under age 50 however did grow up with soccer as the schools integrated the sport into their athletic programs.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl Never say never after watching Germany play it will be a tough road.

Lon i'm way over 50 and have been involved in Soccer here in the US since the 70's as a player, coach and now a huge fan. :-6

[QUOTE]

Are we gonna take the whole thing Carla?:D

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

That must have been painful to watch if you were an Aussie.

Germany their usual clinical, efficient selves. Not by chance have they reached at least the quarter finals in the last seven World Cups

Oh dear, you've got to feel a bit sorry for the Aussies. Germany are performing another Blitzkrieg ! 4 nil to Germany and it is stilll being played!

Its not often a Pom's gonna feel sorry for the Aussies when it comes to sport but Cahill didnt deserve a red card. Yellow at the most.

Thats as sorry as I'm going to get though :D

Winston Churchill
Lon

Post by Lon »

CARLA;1315728 wrote: :yh_rotfl Never say never after watching Germany play it will be a tough road.

Lon i'm way over 50 and have been involved in Soccer here in the US since the 70's as a player, coach and now a huge fan. :-6

But you live and have lived in San Diego Carla, that doesn't count. With the great weather in your neck of the woods you can play all kinds of sports. How many Americans follow the "America's Cup" or even now what it is?:wah:
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

CARLA;1315728 wrote: :yh_rotfl Never say never after watching Germany play it will be a tough road.

Must have been tough Carla, following football since the 70's, seeing it gain poplularity and then die off again. At least you had some of the greats come and play for you then. Like Pele who played for New York Cosmos and George Best who played for a few

Winston Churchill
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

True it has had been a bumpy road here in the US but is growing leaps and bounds now especially for young girls they can rise to the top now just like the men that is wonderful to see. My niece plays for the US Womens National Team and has a gold medal for 2008 Olympics. She also plays for the FC Gold Pride womens team who is in first place. She is under contract on two teams and make a great deal of money. She had a full scholarship to Stanford as a soccer player when she is done with soccer she will start MED school. Soccer is big in the US now and I for one couldn't be happier.

Women are now given the same opportunities with sports scholarships. If they had this in my youth in college it would have be wonderful.

[QUOTE]Must have been tough Carla, following football since the 70's, seeing it gain poplularity and then die off again. At least you had some of the greats come and play for you then. Like Pele who played for New York Cosmos and George Best who played for a few[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;1315357 wrote: you said you were going there for the games?

Oh no I couldn't go to a stadium with all of those vuvuzela's! :yh_rotfl Not even for the World Cup! :yh_rotfl I KID! I KID!

Anyway I thought Demerit played particularly well against Rooney and I think USA's defense giving up that goal was horrid laziness but the rest of the game I think they defended with heart and conviction so I'm pleased with that.

USA's goal was a give me and we most certainly could have lost this game in the same way we most certainly could have won this game had the ball not been inches to the right when striking the post. Amazing run by Altidore and he's impressed me quite alot in that game.

I do have great confidence in me boys after this game as I think this will help their confidence respectively.

I'm happy with the result
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1315765 wrote: Oh no I couldn't go to a stadium with all of those vuvuzela's! :yh_rotfl Not even for the World Cup! :yh_rotfl I KID! I KID!

Anyway I thought Demerit played particularly well against Rooney and I think USA's defense giving up that goal was horrid laziness but the rest of the game I think they defended with heart and conviction so I'm pleased with that.

USA's goal was a give me and we most certainly could have lost this game in the same m most certainly could have won this game had the ball not been inches to the right when striking the post. Amazing run by Altidore and he's impressed me quite alot in that game.

I do have great confidence in me boys after this game as I think this will help their confidence respectively.

I'm happy with the result

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl I knew you were kidding!

Good luck with your team, I've never been into soccer, this girl's a Canadian hockey fan.
Life is just to short for drama.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;1315767 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl I knew you were kidding!

Good luck with your team, I've never been into soccer, this girl's a Canadian hockey fan.

Well thank you Odie Wodie I'll honor your wishes with great esteem... :yh_wink :yh_kiss

It's a wonderful sport go ahead and watch USA's next match(Or anyone's) against Slovenia

United States v Slovenia 2:00 PM(GMT)

If not by the sport by the perspective of Worldly culture!

:yh_wink :yh_kiss
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1315769 wrote: Well thank you Odie Wodie I'll honor your wishes with great esteem... :yh_wink :yh_kiss

It's a wonderful sport go ahead and watch USA's next match(Or anyone's) against Slovenia

United States v Slovenia 2:00 PM(GMT)

If not by the sport by the perspective of Worldly culture!

:yh_wink :yh_kiss

since Canada never made it, my choice to win are my good neighbors in the US!:guitarist

so keep me informed and best of luck USA!:yh_party
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Would anyone like to suggest that the Netherlands v Denmark 11:30 AM(GMT) game will be the most competitive match thus far in the World Cup from an apparent standpoint, or has Denmark dropped in prestige enough to suggest this thought is ridiculous or conversely Holland has improved enough to negate Denmark's reputation?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;1315780 wrote: since Canada never made it, my choice to win are my good neighbors in the US!:guitarist

so keep me informed and best of luck USA!:yh_party

Will do Odie The Gorgeous Wodie! :wah: :yh_wink :yh_kiss
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1315782 wrote: Will do Odie The Gorgeous Wodie! :wah: :yh_wink :yh_kiss

You've always been so sweet and nice to me, to bad some others don' t take after you.;)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;1315784 wrote: You've always been so sweet and nice to me, to bad some others don' t take after you.;)

AWWWWWWWWW!!!! That's soooooooooooooo Sweet!!!!!!! :-4:-4:-4:-4:-4

:wah: :yh_wink :yh_kiss
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

The runner up of Group C will most likely face Germany in the second round. That could be a tough one.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1315781 wrote: Would anyone like to suggest that the Netherlands v Denmark 11:30 AM(GMT) game will be the most competitive match thus far in the World Cup from an apparent standpoint, or has Denmark dropped in prestige enough to suggest this thought is ridiculous or conversely Holland has improved enough to negate Denmark's reputation?

I'd put Holland to win that one quite comfortably - say 2:0?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Bryn Mawr;1315795 wrote: I'd put Holland to win that one quite comfortably - say 2:0?

I agree unless Denmark shows a marked improvement since their last friendly against Bafana.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Hey USA, nice one with the 1-1 vs England. England thought they were going to cream you, the papers were tearing them apart yesterday. :yh_rotfl
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

What is with all the non stop blowing of horns at the games? Really annoying listening to it constantly in the background.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1315795 wrote: I'd put Holland to win that one quite comfortably - say 2:0?

I'd agree with that generally. Holland are one of my favourites to progress all the way

by mikeinie

What is with all the non stop blowing of horns at the games? Really annoying listening to it constantly in the background.

They are a bit of a nuisance to me too. I dont think they add to the atmosphere at all. Any one who attends the terraces with any regularity would understand. Give me the Ooohs and Aaaahs and loud chants any day.

I understand the reason for them completely. It gives teams like S. Africa a twelfth man but for me they are just a constant drone and a distraction

Winston Churchill
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

mikeinie;1315811 wrote: What is with all the non stop blowing of horns at the games? Really annoying listening to it constantly in the background.

The vuvuzela has been a soccer tradition in South Africa long before the World Cup. The thing is, soccer has been given a huge boost here due to the event, so many more people watch this game now, than ever before in this country. And they just do what has been established by the die-hard fans - blow the vuvezela's.

Africa is noisy, believe me, you won't hear yourself think in our taxi's either.:)

Mind you, I see a number of tourists joining in on this vuvuzela blowing.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Double post, sorry.

As a matter of interest, the rugby game between France and South Africa last Saturday did not have one vuvuzela present. So this is a soccer thing
Odie

Post by Odie »

mikeinie;1315811 wrote: What is with all the non stop blowing of horns at the games? Really annoying listening to it constantly in the background.

when Italy wins here, the whole damn city is on a crusade!:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Good call Bryn.

I watched this game via tape recording and very close to the start of Italy vs Paraguay. I stopped the tape when Netherlands was leading 1-0 to the own goal and throughout the game to that point I thought the play was very evenly matched. Yes Netherlands had more possession but that's because the Danes were bending while not even close to breaking. Their defense was excellent to that time against a very attack minded and equally prolific set of players.

I stopped the tape to see how close the Italy vs Paraguay game was to begin and the very first words out of the broadcasters mouth was "So Netherlands with a win to earn 3 points"!!!!!! First * words!!!!!! I mean honestly!!!! what is that about!?!?!?

Anyway, so far Italy vs Paraguay is a good game. Not traditionally boring with what Ii a display of tremendous skill by both teams. Paraguay is very good I don't know why they do not get the credit they deserve. Excellent set piece to see Paraguay lead at the half 1-0.

On a side note I've always secretly rooted for Paraguay. Has to be because of their underdog prowess in association with Brazil and Argentina. I love underdogs.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Paraguay 1-1 Italy

Well Brazil plays N. Korea tomorrow. I haven't really seen N.Korea play so I have to assume Brazil will win easily seeing as how I never hear of N.Korea's prowess as a soccer nation.

4-0 seems right and if I were to guess would either be 2-0 or 7-0 if 4-0 doesn't suffice.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Tomorrow is a public holiday, same day Bafana plays again. I guess it was planned this way? I am looking forward to see if we have the same hype as last time.

I laughed, one of the cashiers told me: "Modise must either move his lazy tail this time or go and sit with the fans and blow a vuvuzela." :)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Oh dear.:D

Vuvuzela?s to be allowed into English Premier League : NewsTime : Sport
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I hope vuvuzelas aren't allowed in English football matches, but I suppose they are fractionally less annoying than those dreadful wooden rattles that you wound round and round making a terrible harsh sound. Does anybody remember those?

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1316071 wrote: I hope vuvuzelas aren't allowed in English football matches, but I suppose they are fractionally less annoying than those dreadful wooden rattles that you wound round and round making a terrible harsh sound. Does anybody remember those?

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Back in the day, the Police used them instead of whistles :-)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bryn Mawr;1316099 wrote: Back in the day, the Police used them instead of whistles :-)

Gawd, Bryn, you are going back even further than I can remember ! My dad and mum told me about those rattles and the terrible harsh noise they used to make!

If the police used them before they got whistles, where on earth would they carry them, they're a tad too big for a bobby's pocket ????
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

G#Gill;1316149 wrote: Gawd, Bryn, you are going back even further than I can remember ! My dad and mum told me about those rattles and the terrible harsh noise they used to make!

If the police used them before they got whistles, where on earth would they carry them, they're a tad too big for a bobby's pocket ????

I'm afraid to ask what a "bobby's pocket" is...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

My busy week doesn't allow me to see most of the games so I may be a bit off from an overall perspective but in my mind I haven't really seen a game that truly stood out in my mind as an epitome of a World Cup game.

No tremendous strikes or saves...

Am I missing one? Uruguay vs France was a good game but still wasn't overly attractive.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

K.Snyder;1316162 wrote: I haven't really seen a game that truly stood out in my mind as an epitome of a World Cup game.

No tremendous strikes or saves...

I think the first goal of Brazil last night was one of the better ones. That ball surely curved right into the posts. That team is special and deserve their reputation, methinks.

I also think North Korea played a great game. They were worthy opponents. One could see they were exhausted after the game, they gave their all, and did very well.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1316149 wrote: Gawd, Bryn, you are going back even further than I can remember ! My dad and mum told me about those rattles and the terrible harsh noise they used to make!

In their belt next to their truncheon :-)

Always prepared were our Bobbies
gmc

Post by gmc »

I was watching the Zulu reruns on film four. The english lost their match but the welsh won theirs and the singing was first class:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Switzerland beat Spain 1-0. Is Spain going to choke again? (Just like our cricket team)

Next round, do or die for Bafana:eek:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I wasn't like they didn't have a ton of chances the Swiss goalie and their defense was very good. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Wide World of Sports”