World Cup South Africa 2010!

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I would have said it's a bit early for the World Cup thread but it's never too early for the World Cup

I'd also like to remind everyone that the draw for World Cup South Africa 2010! is Dec 4 2009 and will be aired on ESPN 2 in the USA at 12:00 PM Noon. I'm not sure what channels other countries will be airing it so anyone can feel free and disclose that piece of useful information

There is also MyP2P.eu :: Free Live Sports on your PC, Live Football, MLB, NBA, NHL and more... you can go to stream it!

The Final Draw

Ireland failed to qualify in their matches against France despite a VALIANT effort!

Anyone else gearing up for World Cup South Africa 2010!?
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Yes, France won alright last night, but everyone here in Ireland always thought that to handball the ball forward into play and then scoring was actually against the rules…

Why doesn’t the largest sport in the world not have video replay?? If it was not for that obvious cheating that everyone could see, except for all of the referees, Ireland would now be in the World Cup.

never mind the fact that France was already off side.

YouTube - France v Ireland Henry Handball takes Ireland out of World Cup finals
Hugh Janus

Post by Hugh Janus »

football. 22 overpaid pansies, kicking a bag of wind around a patch of grass.

I would rather watch paint dry...
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Unlike Hugh ;) I will be watching as many games as I can steam at the Office.. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mikeinie;1263939 wrote: Yes, France won alright last night, but everyone here in Ireland always thought that to handball the ball forward into play and then scoring was actually against the rules…

Why doesn’t the largest sport in the world not have video replay?? If it was not for that obvious cheating that everyone could see, except for all of the referees, Ireland would now be in the World Cup.

Certainly won't do his career any good

Have you noticed they've had to lock his Wiki page because disgruntled fans kept going in and editing it to say what a cheat he is :wah:
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

Bryn Mawr;1264026 wrote: Certainly won't do his career any good

Have you noticed they've had to lock his Wiki page because disgruntled fans kept going in and editing it to say what a cheat he is :wah:

glad they did the arsenal cheat :mad::mad:
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

World cup qualification was stolen from Ireland. They were far the better team. There'll be little justice in football with refs who cannot control the game. They might know the rules but they don't know football.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
dubs

Post by dubs »

Snowfire;1264108 wrote: World cup qualification was stolen from Ireland. They were far the better team. There'll be little justice in football with refs who cannot control the game. They might know the rules but they don't know football.

Everyone at the game saw it, all the people watching on tv or online saw it, the other players saw it.......In fact, the only people who didn't see it, were the ones whos job it is to see it....Bloody shambles..One might have missed it, possibly two...But all three. Disgrace!

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Here is a lttle game called: Be Thierry

Thierry Henry - Jeu de main - Le Jeu !
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

dubs;1264111 wrote: Everyone at the game saw it, all the people watching on tv or online saw it, the other players saw it.......In fact, the only people who didn't see it, were the ones whos job it is to see it....Bloody shambles..One might have missed it, possibly two...But all three. Disgrace!

The annoying thing is, the cure is simple but FIFA / UEFA / FA refuse to take it.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

mikeinie;1263939 wrote: Yes, France won alright last night, but everyone here in Ireland always thought that to handball the ball forward into play and then scoring was actually against the rules…

I understand how you feel. USA vs Germany 2002 WC

But I think soccer/football is probably the sport least likely to appropriate instant replay into the game because of the time structure that is used in soccer/football and the time consuming process instant replay incurs. We'd be seeing 10 minute stoppage times quite often.

But I have always been a fan of instant replay.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Hugh Janus;1263988 wrote: football. 22 overpaid pansies, kicking a bag of wind around a patch of grass.

I would rather watch paint dry...

IT'S THE BUILD UP!!!!!!!

:yh_wink
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1264450 wrote: IT'S THE BUILD UP!!!!!!!

are you going Kevin?
Life is just to short for drama.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;1264451 wrote: are you going Kevin?

No.

No way I could afford a trip to South Africa and to the World Cup.

Would LOVE to though!

GO USA! :yh_wink

:yh_kiss
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1264447 wrote: I understand how you feel. USA vs Germany 2002 WC

But I think soccer/football is probably the sport least likely to appropriate instant replay into the game because of the time structure that is used in soccer/football and the time consuming process instant replay incurs. We'd be seeing 10 minute stoppage times quite often.

But I have always been a fan of instant replay.

The technology is used very successfully and consistently in Rugby. Todays television coverage allows for every angle to be covered and instant replays are available to a third referee. The time taken to review these decisions would be very small. The importance of games like the France/Ireland makes it all thr more important to push FIFA for better, more professional refereeing and the introduction of some sort of technology for certain controversial decisions

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1264476 wrote: The technology is used very successfully and consistently in Rugby. Todays television coverage allows for every angle to be covered and instant replays are available to a third referee. The time taken to review these decisions would be very small. The importance of games like the France/Ireland makes it all thr more important to push FIFA for better, more professional refereeing and the introduction of some sort of technology for certain controversial decisions

Your next step would be to implement it in to the Championship League. I'm positive the Premier League wouldn't institute video replay without testing it in the lower tier leagues first.

On that, when do you think this might seriously be considered? Now? 2 years? 5 years? 10? Never?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

You're right in that it would probably be introduced into lower league football first. As for time scale, who knows with this lot, its hard to tell. Like I intimated before, these people run these institutions but I have my doubts as to their passion or even interest for the game beyond the money it generates.

Having said that fans are split as to whether technology would be a good step or not. I say yes. It works very well in other sports and isnt as intrusive as people imagine.

If not then a structure for more professional refereeing officials is a must. As Bill Shankley, the great Liverpool manager once famously said, " Football is not just a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that" You have to see and experience the passion in the stands to understand the perspective of that comment but my point is that its lost on those faceless goons who run the game. Fans may have influence at club level - up to a point- beyond that, they have no hope

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1264823 wrote: You're right in that it would probably be introduced into lower league football first. As for time scale, who knows with this lot, its hard to tell. Like I intimated before, these people run these institutions but I have my doubts as to their passion or even interest for the game beyond the money it generates.

Having said that fans are split as to whether technology would be a good step or not. I say yes. It works very well in other sports and isnt as intrusive as people imagine.

If not then a structure for more professional refereeing officials is a must. As Bill Shankley, the great Liverpool manager once famously said, " Football is not just a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that" You have to see and experience the passion in the stands to understand the perspective of that comment but my point is that its lost on those faceless goons who run the game. Fans may have influence at club level - up to a point- beyond that, they have no hope

Well quite frankly if you haven't achieved the level of supreme refereeing now after 100 years you won't ever. I think the level of refereeing is as good as it can get.

The way I see it is to take a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, large step and suggest the potential of completely stopping the clock for a maximum set period(So as to eliminate further controversy) of 2 minutes to look over replay upon a designated rule of what's to be allowed to be reviewed. This would mean only goals/non goals and penalty calls could be candidates for review.

I see that as working tremendously well, just that it will revolutionize the game in many aspect. If "you're" a cynic, then you'd obviously be ruining it! :wah:
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1264942 wrote: I think the level of refereeing is as good as it can get.

:

Then I suggest you try to watch as much football as I do. That is so far removed from the truth as to be laughable.

I'm the first to congratulate the officials at the end of the match when they get the important decisions right but all too often consistency is the first thing that goes to the wall. Being an assistant referee (linesman) is a very difficult job when it comes to tight offside decisions. We forgive them that. As I've said before. Just knowing the rule book inside out is not sufficient enough to be a good referee. You have to have an "understanding" of the game. Its why Rugby referees and Cricket umpires are so respected and revered in sport. It wouldnt be enough just to read the rule book and get on with it. They have that understanding. They "get it" and consequently do the job much more professionally and rarely make the sort of mistakes that cost teams matches. With so much at stake you'd have thought the relevant associations around the world would have sat up and taken notice

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1264958 wrote: Then I suggest you try to watch as much football as I do. That is so far removed from the truth as to be laughable.

I'm the first to congratulate the officials at the end of the match when they get the important decisions right but all too often consistency is the first thing that goes to the wall. Being an assistant referee (linesman) is a very difficult job when it comes to tight offside decisions. We forgive them that. As I've said before. Just knowing the rule book inside out is not sufficient enough to be a good referee. You have to have an "understanding" of the game. Its why Rugby referees and Cricket umpires are so respected and revered in sport. It wouldnt be enough just to read the rule book and get on with it. They have that understanding. They "get it" and consequently do the job much more professionally and rarely make the sort of mistakes that cost teams matches. With so much at stake you'd have thought the relevant associations around the world would have sat up and taken notice

I think establishing what's to be reviewed and how many reviews is the real question. No way they're going to review every offside call. Could they review every offside non call? Perhaps but that will be the most time consuming of it. You're sincerely looking at 15 minute stoppage times. Not at all what people are used to, and as we all know football/soccer is the worlds sport so changing it will be no easy task.

What is an extreme possibility is if the MLS in the United States implements video replay. The world could watch and see how it transpires. That is if the world could ever give in to changing the worlds sport to mimic that of an American one! :yh_rotfl

I do feel that most all controversy related to the sport will cease though. There's no lies in video replay, absolutely none

Being an athlete I'm all for it. I myself would want the right call even if it is for the other team because I couldn't handle knowing I won a championship illegitimately by a bonehead referee call. It would haunt me forever! I can only imagine fans feel the same way.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1265424 wrote: I think establishing what's to be reviewed and how many reviews is the real question. No way they're going to review every offside call. Could they review every offside non call? Perhaps but that will be the most time consuming of it. You're sincerely looking at 15 minute stoppage times. Not at all what people are used to, and as we all know football/soccer is the worlds sport so changing it will be no easy task.

What is an extreme possibility is if the MLS in the United States implements video replay. The world could watch and see how it transpires. That is if the world could ever give in to changing the worlds sport to mimic that of an American one! :yh_rotfl

I do feel that most all controversy related to the sport will cease though. There's no lies in video replay, absolutely none

Being an athlete I'm all for it. I myself would want the right call even if it is for the other team because I couldn't handle knowing I won a championship illegitimately by a bonehead referee call. It would haunt me forever! I can only imagine fans feel the same way.

Offside decisions ? No. Not at all. Like I said, even the most fickle of fans accept the difficulty assistant referees face when giving the tight offsides. It's a tough call and in the main, they get it about right. After all, we have the benefit of slo-mo replays. Yeah there is the odd blatant glaring mistake.

Its the decisions that cost teams the match and Managers their jobs that need urgent attention ( the 5 awful decisions at the Hull match 3 weeks ago could have cost Phil Brown his job). Was it a penalty or was it a dive, or did he just trip over his own feet. Thats a call that can go upstairs to a 4th referee with very little delay, as is shown in Rugby. Did the ball cross the line ? (Liverpool beat us [Chelsea] 1-0 in the semi-finals of the 2005 Champions League with a goal that never crossed the line) Again a very quick instant replay can save the ref from demotion into the lower leagues. Certainly quicker than a full scale argument on the pitch involving 22 players and all the officials that will take 5 minutes to settle.

The outrage involving Thierry Henry and his blatant handball against Ireland could have been avoided very simply. France would maybe have lost a place in the World cup instead of the nation losing face entirely. Their embarrassment as a nation is extraordinary and they wont live that down for a long time. Henry wont be welcome in Ireland this side of never *

There is too much at stake for the FA, UEFA and FIFA not to take it more seriously

* The game should of been replayed but because of financial considerations ie sponsorships regarding France, FIFA shunned the idea even though it has been done before. FIFA's president Sepp Blatter is a disgrace to football. He knows less than my 3 year old Grandaughter. (He once seriously suggested that one way womens football would get more airplay/publicity would be by wearing tighter shirts. Not a passing comment down the pub but a direct comment with a straight face to reporters. A 24 carat idiot

UEFA's influential president detests British football, almost as much as Blatter and always has done ( Michel Platini...French) He wouldnt let a replay go without his voice being heard.

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1265611 wrote: Offside decisions ? No. Not at all. Like I said, even the most fickle of fans accept the difficulty assistant referees face when giving the tight offsides. It's a tough call and in the main, they get it about right. After all, we have the benefit of slo-mo replays. Yeah there is the odd blatant glaring mistake.

Its the decisions that cost teams the match and Managers their jobs that need urgent attention ( the 5 awful decisions at the Hull match 3 weeks ago could have cost Phil Brown his job). Was it a penalty or was it a dive, or did he just trip over his own feet. Thats a call that can go upstairs to a 4th referee with very little delay, as is shown in Rugby. Did the ball cross the line ? (Liverpool beat us [Chelsea] 1-0 in the semi-finals of the 2005 Champions League with a goal that never crossed the line) Again a very quick instant replay can save the ref from demotion into the lower leagues. Certainly quicker than a full scale argument on the pitch involving 22 players and all the officials that will take 5 minutes to settle.

The outrage involving Thierry Henry and his blatant handball against Ireland could have been avoided very simply. France would maybe have lost a place in the World cup instead of the nation losing face entirely. Their embarrassment as a nation is extraordinary and they wont live that down for a long time. Henry wont be welcome in Ireland this side of never *

There is too much at stake for the FA, UEFA and FIFA not to take it more seriously

* The game should of been replayed but because of financial considerations ie sponsorships regarding France, FIFA shunned the idea even though it has been done before. FIFA's president Sepp Blatter is a disgrace to football. He knows less than my 3 year old Grandaughter. (He once seriously suggested that one way womens football would get more airplay/publicity would be by wearing tighter shirts. Not a passing comment down the pub but a direct comment with a straight face to reporters. A 24 carat idiot

UEFA's influential president detests British football, almost as much as Blatter and always has done ( Michel Platini...French) He wouldnt let a replay go without his voice being heard.

You make it sound as if you speak for the significant majority, let alone the majority so I'm wondering why they haven't implemented video replay, let alone discussing it.

Honestly what's the reason they haven't implemented video replay specifically?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1265805 wrote: You make it sound as if you speak for the significant majority, let alone the majority so I'm wondering why they haven't implemented video replay, let alone discussing it.

Honestly what's the reason they haven't implemented video replay specifically?

Have they ever given a rational reason?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1266132 wrote: Have they ever given a rational reason?

The most rational reason for instant replay would be to insure the correct call on the field has been made. I don't know of any fan that would disagree with that, unless their team is notorious for being in favor of shoddy play calling(Please!,..let's keep this forum civil! No referencing please! :wah:)

The only reason I can think of anyone wouldn't be in favor of instant replay being the league would be more susceptible to p:lips:ing the spectators present off the longer they wait to receive a judgment only to increase that risk upon having a decision reversed/upheld ultimately reverting English football back to the hooligan days.

:confused:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1266307 wrote: The most rational reason for instant replay would be to insure the correct call on the field has been made. I don't know of any fan that would disagree with that, unless their team is notorious for being in favor of shoddy play calling(Please!,..let's keep this forum civil! No referencing please! :wah:)

The only reason I can think of anyone wouldn't be in favor of instant replay being the league would be more susceptible to p:lips:ing the spectators present off the longer they wait to receive a judgment only to increase that risk upon having a decision reversed/upheld ultimately reverting English football back to the hooligan days.

:confused:

The fans, teams and pundits have made several rational arguments in favour of introducing a video ref and would far rather wait for the few moments it would take (see Rugby as an example of how it would work) that have the matches run as a lottery dependant on the ref's fitness and viewing point.

It is the sports administration who have never given a rational explanation for their objections. One is left to the conclusion that they *want* the ref to be able to influence the outcome of matches by the quality of his decisions.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1266350 wrote: The fans, teams and pundits have made several rational arguments in favour of introducing a video ref and would far rather wait for the few moments it would take (see Rugby as an example of how it would work) that have the matches run as a lottery dependant on the ref's fitness and viewing point.

It is the sports administration who have never given a rational explanation for their objections. One is left to the conclusion that they *want* the ref to be able to influence the outcome of matches by the quality of his decisions.

You're not :lips:

Surely you're not :lips:!

...suggesting :lips:?

...:thinking:

NO!!!!!!!

:thinking:

NO!!!!!!!!!!

:lips:

:wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1266353 wrote: You're not :lips:

Surely you're not :lips:!

...suggesting :lips:?

...:thinking:

NO!!!!!!!

:thinking:

NO!!!!!!!!!!

:lips:

:lips:ing French!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I think it's great how many new teams have earned a spot in the World Cup South Africa 2010 finals!

I think everyone has a team during each World Cup that they can't help but wish to succeed because of the fact they're underdogs so my question addresses such. What team will you be pulling for to do well aside from your own favorite team(Obviously with exception to playing your favorite team :yh_wink)?

Lessons learned by '06 absentees

(FIFA.com) Tuesday 1 December 2009

For Korea DPR, South Africa 2010 has been 44 years coming. Nigeria and Cameroon, meanwhile, are returning after an eight-year break, while Slovakia are preparing to participate in their first-ever FIFA World Cup™ as an independent nation. In total, 12 nations who missed out on Germany 2006 have qualified for next year’s finals. So what was it that ensured they succeeded this time where they failed four years ago? FIFA.com takes a closer look.

It was fitting that Korea DPR, who endured the longest wait, should be the first of this returning dozen to take their place. The story of the North Koreans' success was, in fact, one of the preliminary campaign’s great fairy tales, with Kim Jong-Hun’s side edging out three of the continent’s traditional heavyweights - Saudi Arabia, Iran and United Arab Emirates – en route to South Africa 2010. Kim certainly had much to do with the transformation of a side that had lost all but one of their final stage 2006 qualifiers. The 53-year-old, himself a former defender, took charge early in 2008 and, despite a lack of star names, moulded his team into a solid unit whose defence was breached just five times in eight qualifiers.

Asian influences were also key to New Zealand’s first successful preliminary campaign in 28 years. Australia’s departure to the AFC allowed the All Whites to claim a regional stranglehold in Oceania, while Bahrain were their victims in a memorable play-off triumph that witnessed a new generation of Kiwi stars secure a place in folklore.

Striking success

Just as blossoming of players such as Shane Smeltz and Ryan Nelsen proved vital to New Zealand, so Greece profited from the emergence of Theofanidis Gekas as a force to be reckoned with in the international arena. Otto Rehhagel’s side have stayed true to the principles that brought them European glory in 2004 but, unlike in 2006, when they lacked a natural goalscorer, the Greeks were this time able to call on the European Zone’s most prolific marksman in the predatory Gekas.

Chile also had a star striker to thank as they returned to the FIFA World Cup for the first time since France 1998. A haul of ten goals established Humberto Suazo as the top scorer in the South American Zone and played a large part in ensuring that Marcelo Bielsa’s Roja side finished just a point behind Brazil in the continental standings.

Continuing this theme, nine goals in 11 qualifiers from Samuel Eto’o proved crucial to Cameroon reaching an African record sixth FIFA World Cup. Yet the turning point for the Indomitable Lions came in July when, with the team bottom of their qualifying section, Paul Le Guen took over as coach and brought about a radical transformation, which included installing Eto’o as captain. Like Cameroon, Nigeria qualified on a dramatic final day in the African Zone. Still stinging from their failure to qualify for Germany 2006, the Super Eagles looked destined for yet more heartbreak when Obafemi Martins, one of the high-profile forwards who had disappointed last time around, struck twice to secure a dramatic and decisive comeback win in Kenya.

Of the teams ending their FIFA World Cup exile, perhaps only Honduras endured a more nerve-shredding finale. Reinaldo Rueda’s adventurous side had impressed during the preliminaries, with the likes of David Suazo, Wilson Palacios and Carlos Pavon all shining, but would have faced a play-off had Costa Rica not conceded in the dying seconds of their final fixture.

That fateful goal left Los Ticos to contest a two-legged duel with Uruguay from which the South Americans emerged triumphant. Consistency continues to prove problematic, but with Diego Forlan at the peak of his powers and ably supported by Luis Suarez, La Celeste’s new and improved forward line will persist in striking fear into opposition defences.

Celebrations and sensations

Algeria might not possess such a wealth of attacking options, but under Rabeh Saadane - who was in charge when they reached their last FIFA World Cup in 1986 - Les Fennecs have proved that they are nevertheless well worth watching. Having finished below the likes of Angola, Zimbabwe and Gabon in the race to Germany 2006, Algeria brought back Saadane in 2007 and reaped the benefits throughout a memorable campaign that culminated in that unforgettable play-off win over Egypt.

While the likes of Algeria and Uruguay required play-offs to advance, others in this group of returning heroes secured their places in some style. Denmark, in fact, fought arguably the most impressive preliminary campaign of all, comfortably topping a formidable section that included Portugal, Sweden and Hungary. Though lacking the individual talent their rivals possessed in the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Zlatan Ibraminovic, the Danes prevailed largely thanks to the stability and tactical nous provided by Morten Olsen, now in his tenth year at the helm.

If Denmark’s successes against the Swedes and the Portuguese were a surprise, Slovenia’s ousting of Russia was little short of a sensation. Few had given this nation of two million people a hope against Andrei Arshavin and Co, but a miserly defence that was breached just four times in ten qualifiers provided the basis for a spectacular success story.

Then, last but far from least, we must pay tribute to this FIFA World Cup’s sole debutants. Slovakia can, of course, claim some credit for the eight appearances made by the former Czechoslovakia, but South Africa 2010 will be their first since securing independence in 1993. They had to earn their place too, finishing top of a section that included Czech Republic, Poland and Slovenia, and Vladimir Weiss’s side will hope that the steel and spirit that secured this maiden appearance will ensure that it proves one to remember.FIFA.com - Lessons learned by '06 absentees
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Also, "What are your Final Draw hopes?"

What are your Final Draw hopes?

(FIFA.com) Tuesday 1 December 2009

The eyes of the world are on the Cape of Good Hope where excitement levels are reaching fever pitch ahead of Friday 4 December's Final Draw for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™. Beginning at 7pm local time in Cape Town, the 32 finalists are about to discover the identity of their group rivals for the global showpiece - set to take place from 11 June to 11 July next year.

“I’m really looking forward to the draw,” said Germany coach Joachim Low, summing up the mood of players, coaches and fans around Planet Football. "That’s when the World Cup really starts for me, this is what it’s all about.”

And come Friday, millions will be looking on intently as the draw progresses, with football followers keeping their fingers crossed that their national sides can avoid the toughest groups. Even for experienced FIFA World Cup performers, getting out of the group can prove fraught with danger if the Draw goes against you, with fancied sides invariably falling at the first hurdle.

Indeed, every Draw throws up at least one fiercely competitive section, where several traditional powers have to fight for the right to progress. Who can forget Group C at Germany 2006, which comprised Argentina, Côte d'Ivoire, Serbia and Montenegro and the Netherlands? Then there are the dark horses to contend with, quality teams which strive to spring a surprise and relish the opportunity to upset the game's established heavyweights.FIFA.com - What are your Final Draw hopes?

So, with the stage perfectly set for Friday evening's proceedings, FIFA.com has decided to use this week’s 'Have Your Say' feature to ask a very pertinent question:

What are you hoping for in the FIFA World Cup Final Draw?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1268406 wrote: I think it's great how many new teams have earned a spot in the World Cup South Africa 2010 finals!

I think everyone has a team during each World Cup that they can't help but wish to succeed because of the fact they're underdogs so my question addresses such. What team will you be pulling for to do well aside from your own favorite team(Obviously with exception to playing your favorite team :yh_wink)?

FIFA.com - Lessons learned by '06 absentees

I'd like to see Algeria do well so that the Algerian people can come out of the World Cup with alot to remember and be joyous about.

South Africa will mark Algeria’s third appearance at a FIFA World Cup finals, and they will be looking to graduate from the group stage for the first time in their history. In 1982, they made history by defeating West Germany 2-1 and Chile 3-2, only to lose 2-0 to Austria. Four years on from their debut, with a certain Saadane in the dugout, they shared a 1-1 draw with Northern Ireland before losing 1-0 to Brazil and 3-0 to Spain.FIFA.com - Algeria: all the teams participating in the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa? qualifiers
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1268408 wrote: Also, "What are your Final Draw hopes?"

FIFA.com - What are your Final Draw hopes?

I can't necessarily say I hope to go against weak teams specifically in the group stage because 1) It shows a lack of professionalism and 2) What's any good in making it out of the group stage if you end up losing in the latter stages?

I want the USA to show up and play with professionalism(*AHEM* DE ROSSI!:yh_eyerol CRYBABY!) and hope they play to their utmost potential. USA did, after all, defeat Spain in the Confederations Cup(Please don't get me started on the final I will vomit) ending Spain's record win streak so it's not as if the USA cannot play.

On that a reminder that the World Cup South Africa 2010 draw will be held on Friday December 4th at 12 PM EST(USA).
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

FIFA Organising Committee approves Final Draw procedure

(FIFA.com) Wednesday 2 December 2009

The FIFA Organising Committee approved today the procedure for the Final Draw of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, which will be held in Cape Town on Friday 4 December. The seeding was based on the October 2009 FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking (which you can see by clicking on the link to the right), and Brazil, Spain, the Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina and England are therefore the seven squads that join hosts South Africa as seeded teams for the Final Draw.

The committee also approved the composition of the other pots as well as the procedure for the final draw:

• Pot 2 will be composed of teams from Asia (Australia, Japan, Korea DPR, Korea Republic), North, Central America and the Caribbean (Honduras, Mexico, USA) and Oceania (New Zealand)

• Pot 3 will include teams from Africa (Algeria, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria) and South America (Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay)

• Pot 4 will have the remaining European teams (Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland)

• hosts South Africa will be automatically positioned as A1; the other seeded teams will be drawn into the other groups B-H, but will always be in position “1” of their group

• groups will be drawn from A to H and the positions in the group will be drawn for Pots 2 to 4

• geographical criteria will also be respected, meaning that no two teams from the same confederation will be drawn in the same group (except European teams, where a maximum of two will be in a group). For example, South Africa cannot play the African teams from Pot 3 and Argentina and Brazil cannot be drawn against the three remaining South American teams.FIFA.com - FIFA Organising Committee approves Final Draw procedure

Anyone like/dislike the procedure?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Thats pretty much as standard. Very little to argue with there.

There are always upsets. Thats what excites me about the World Cup. I don't want it to go to form. I want the "minnows" to stand up to the top seeds and give them a good run for their money. It WILL happen.

Personally, I think the Ivory Coast will suprise a lot of people. Maybe one of the best teams in Africa over the last few years. I hope they fulfill Africa's expectations and knock a big side out. They wont win it but are potential quarter finalists

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1268512 wrote: Thats pretty much as standard. Very little to argue with there.

There are always upsets. Thats what excites me about the World Cup. I don't want it to go to form. I want the "minnows" to stand up to the top seeds and give them a good run for their money. It WILL happen.

Personally, I think the Ivory Coast will suprise a lot of people. Maybe one of the best teams in Africa over the last few years. I hope they fulfill Africa's expectations and knock a big side out. They wont win it but are potential quarter finalists

I wouldn't have thought anyone would consider Ivory Coast as being underdogs. I mean any team the Didier Drogba on it has to be World Class.

World Cup Final Spain vs Didier Drogba.

Spain 4 - 3 Didier Drogba - He put on a good fight he did! :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1268519 wrote: World Cup Final Spain vs Didier Drogba.

Spain 4 - 3 Didier Drogba - He put on a good fight he did! :wah:

"Spain could have had alot more goals if the possession wasn't so lopsided for Drogba and his relentlessness!" :yh_rotfl
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1268523 wrote: "Spain could have had alot more goals if the possession wasn't so lopsided for Drogba and his relentlessness!" :yh_rotfl

Providing the big man stays on his feet. He is at his best when he stays on his feet but can be a liability when he gets petulant and throws himself about.

Did the business at the weekend against Arsenal though ;)

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I thought I'd revive the old 2006 World Cup Germany thread!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

A reminder that the draw is tomorrow at 12 pm EST(USA)! I believe -5 GMT.

Also, if anyone wishes to see the draw and cannot see it live I will be taping it. If you wish to see it just PM me and I'll upload it to the comp and send the file to you.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok the draw is over and the USA have drawn into group C with England, Slovenia, and Algeria. USA will play England for both of their first match in the tournament!

I never like having to play England but I have every bit of confidence in the team!

GO USA!

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Groups!

Matches!

Any thoughts regarding the draw?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Most are saying group G is "The Group of Death" and I probably have to agree.

Group G

Brazil

North Korea

Ivory Coast

Portugal
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok!

We have a large contingency of English and Americans on these here boards so let's have at it! :wah:

Personally I hate to write any team off so I won't cotton to the idea of an easy group but like Alexi Lalas has said "If USA(Or England for that matter) cannot progress out of group C then your team doesn't deserve to move on!" and I agree. But I said it first, just in a different sort of language! :wah:

England plays The USA on June 12 in Rustenburg.

On a side note the tournament opens with South Africa playing Mexico on June 11!

Good luck to everyone's team!

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I feel for Mexico..!! I like Group C draw England, USA, Solvenia, Algeria.

I predict Span and Brazil in the Final game and Brazil wins it. :-6 Just a prediction :yh_rotfl

[QUOTE]On a side note the tournament opens with South Africa playing Mexico on June 11![/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

CARLA;1269723 wrote: I feel for Mexico..!! I like Group C draw England, USA, Solvenia, Algeria.

I predict Span and Brazil in the Final game and Brazil wins it. :-6 Just a prediction :yh_rotfl

I predict USA wins! :yh_sungla

What? :yh_sungla

WHAT? :yh_sungla

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Couldnt have been better eh K ?

Our dreams have come true and we get to play each other. Woohoo !! :D

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1269733 wrote: Couldnt have been better eh K ?

Our dreams have come true and we get to play each other. Woohoo !! :D

I have to say that I do LOVE the idea of getting out of the group stage so I'm conflicted with pride and notoriety at the same time.

My pride tells me that supremacy is never defined by ones lack of confidence at the same time without others to perceive supremacy would anything at all have worth?

In the end my confidence in the boys can only be defined in their ability to play the game because they love the sport and no matter what happens of that they'll always be considered winners!

Having said that, HELL NO IT COULDN'T HAVE BEEN BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!

AHAHHAHHAHHA!!!!!!!! :yh_silly :yh_silly :yh_silly :yh_silly

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

CARLA;1269723 wrote: I feel for Mexico..!! I like Group C draw England, USA, Solvenia, Algeria.

Sorry, but I hope Mexico loses every game and a new rule becomes into effect that the first team to be knocked out of contention has to pick up all of the garbage strewn about over every stadium! Well, only if, of course, Mexico is the first team knocked out of World Cup South Africa 2010!

:yh_rotfl
dubs

Post by dubs »

K.Snyder;1269719 wrote: Ok!

We have a large contingency of English and Americans on these here boards so let's have at it! :wah:

Personally I hate to write any team off so I won't cotton to the idea of an easy group but like Alexi Lalas has said "If USA(Or England for that matter) cannot progress out of group C then your team doesn't deserve to move on!" and I agree. But I said it first, just in a different sort of language! :wah:

England plays The USA on June 12 in Rustenburg.

On a side note the tournament opens with South Africa playing Mexico on June 11!

Good luck to everyone's team!

I can't wait for june next year!!! I watched the draw live on tv, and just knew that USA would end up in Englands group.....All things being equal, we should both progress into the knock out stage

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;1269739 wrote: I can't wait for june next year!!! I watched the draw live on tv, and just knew that USA would end up in Englands group.....All things being equal, we should both progress into the knock out stage

Sort of teased us didn't they?

Having the draw 6 months in advance! What's with these people!?!:thinking:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Exactly the US men are just not there yet, but I could be wrong. The US men will advance but not past the quarter finals.

If it were the Women's FIFA World Cup (coming 2011) I would say absolutely the US and most likely German or Brazil would be in the finals and the US Women will win it. :-6

[QUOTE]I predict USA wins!

What? :yh_sungla

...:yh_sungla

WHAT? :wah:

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Wide World of Sports”