American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I have another question

Is it mere coincidence that most of these teams are compacted relatively close to one and another around London and northern in the country(with the exception of Aston Villa), or is it sort of an attempt to exploit the possibility of packing full stadiums as it can be relied on to have supporters of both teams being relatively close? Or is it just quite simply that that's where the majority of the population resides and that was the only logical solution?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

dubs;515666 wrote: Best of it is, I'm a born and bred Midlander, always supported Spurs since I was a kid, and used to travel down to home games, when I was younger. I've been to the Villa a few times though, It's less than twenty miles from where I live!:)

Really? So why spurs? Would you not go for a midlands team like Villa, City, West Brom, Wolves or someone? Still its a personal choice init? I didn't really have one, because me dad was villa, me friends at school were villa, and really the only team I knew were villa when I was little, it was just my perception that Villa park was where everyone played football, and all these other people from somewhere else would come to where we were cause thats where everyone had to play, funny how kids see things init?

Spurs, another team I don't hate, like Notts Forest, they always played decent football, unfortunatly, not decent enough. Still Spurs have been picking up in recent seasons, what do you make of Martin Johl?
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;515714 wrote: I have another question

Is it mere coincidence that most of these teams are compacted relatively close to one and another around London and northern in the country(with the exception of Aston Villa), or is it sort of an attempt to exploit the possibility of packing full stadiums as it can be relied on to have supporters of both teams being relatively close? Or is it just quite simply that that's where the majority of the population resides and that was the only logical solution?

The teams grew up around the big industrial areas of Britain as it was the working mans game, so its always been a game for people in the cities, generally the industrial poor, and so you tend to see these big clubs in the areas that tradititionally were centres of industry like Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Birmingham, Glasgow, and London as well being the capital, this was these peoples recreation on a saturday and an escape from the toughness of life in an industrial town in England, and also explains the very strong passions and loyalties that these clubs create in people down the generations. The big cities would usually have one or more big teams, example Man Utd, and Man City, Liverpool and Everton, Spurs and Arsenal, Newcaste and Sunderland, and these were always the strongest rivalries. Thats another reason why the clubs seem bunched into certain locations, they just kinda are.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

dubs;515666 wrote: Best of it is, I'm a born and bred Midlander, always supported Spurs since I was a kid, and used to travel down to home games, when I was younger. I've been to the Villa a few times though, It's less than twenty miles from where I live!:)

i knew there was a reason i always liked your posts :-6 :-6

apart from the fact that they are really good posts that is :o
dubs

Post by dubs »

Galbally;515716 wrote: Really? So why spurs? Would you not go for a midlands team like Villa, City, West Brom, Wolves or someone? Still its a personal choice init? I didn't really have one, because me dad was villa, me friends at school were villa, and really the only team I knew were villa when I was little, it was just my perception that Villa park was where everyone played football, and all these other people from somewhere else would come to where we were cause thats where everyone had to play, funny how kids see things init?

Spurs, another team I don't hate, like Notts Forest, they always played decent football, unfortunatly, not decent enough. Still Spurs have been picking up in recent seasons, what do you make of Martin Johl?

My Dad took me to the Baggies when i was a kid, they were playing Spurs. I was captivated, that day I saw, Jimmy Greaves, Cyril Knowles, Alan Gilzean, Mike England, Pat Jennings, Martin Chivers, Martin Peters.......I was hooked, from then on.....Hang on I've give me age away now!....Doh!

Martin Jol, seems to be doing an ok job at Spurs, I'm not sure what he was up to with not playing Jermaine Defoe though last season, that effectively ruled Defoe out of the England side, in the summer...:)

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

dubs;515632 wrote: Shawn! Tell me you just didn't say you were a...*Gag* Gooner.....:thinking:

I am a Gooner!!

But of course you have to understand, that I really have no frame of reference, coming from this side of the pond. My Goalkeeping coach in high school was English and supported Arsenal, and gave me game tapes to "study" since seeing soccer on TV in those days was pretty much impossible. I stuck with them, but I have no real perception of the "East London Derby" and I even secretly followed the spurs for a few years when Kasey Keller (best Keeper ever) played there, though not when they play Arsenal!

My fandom of Wolves comes from the fact that during my Championship Manager addiction a few years ago, I selected them as my team, completely at random. It's hard to really support a team from over here, It requires a lot of effort to stay current, since we're not bombarded by the sport constantly here.
dubs

Post by dubs »

ShawnG;515792 wrote: I am a Gooner!!

But of course you have to understand, that I really have no frame of reference, coming from this side of the pond. My Goalkeeping coach in high school was English and supported Arsenal, and gave me game tapes to "study" since seeing soccer on TV in those days was pretty much impossible. I stuck with them, but I have no real perception of the "East London Derby" and I even secretly followed the spurs for a few years when Kasey Keller (best Keeper ever) played there, though not when they play Arsenal!

My fandom of Wolves comes from the fact that during my Championship Manager addiction a few years ago, I selected them as my team, completely at random. It's hard to really support a team from over here, It requires a lot of effort to stay current, since we're not bombarded by the sport constantly here.

The US has turned out some top quality Goalkeepers, Keller was outstanding at Spurs, I think he went to a European club, Brad Friedel, is in the top 5 keepers I've ever seen, bit old now though, and that kid from NY that was at ManU, I forget his name now. No I don't It's Tim Howard! Now about this Gooner business..It's just not on, you do realise that they're 99% FRENCH don't you!:eek: I'll have a word with Jimbo, and see if you can come back to Tottenham....No! don't thank me It'll be my pleasure..;)

dubs

Post by dubs »

Bonjour! D....Ca va? :wah: :wah:

dubs

Post by dubs »

Scots couldn't understand Tommy....:p

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

dubs;515827 wrote: The US has turned out some top quality Goalkeepers, Keller was outstanding at Spurs, I think he went to a European club, Brad Friedel, is in the top 5 keepers I've ever seen, bit old now though, and that kid from NY that was at ManU, I forget his name now. No I don't It's Tim Howard! Now about this Gooner business..It's just not on, you do realise that they're 99% FRENCH don't you!:eek: I'll have a word with Jimbo, and see if you can come back to Tottenham....No! don't thank me It'll be my pleasure..;)

No, I'm sorry I've followed Arsenal for nearly 15 years now, and I'm well aware of Wenger's French Foriegn Legion, so I don't think I will convert, I just don't have the cultural upbringing to work up a good hate for Spurs that's all.

Checking my TV listings for this evening, a Replay of Arsenal v Blackburn - don't tell me what happens!
dubs

Post by dubs »

Come on you Spurs!

Attached files

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

what exactly is a hotspur anyway?
dubs

Post by dubs »

ShawnG;515918 wrote: what exactly is a hotspur anyway?

Well one theory is that lads from the Hotspur cricket club, formed a football team, and the cricket club was named after Sir Henry Hotspur. Other definitions are...

a) A ferocious warrior.....b) A rash and impetous person....Again, from Sir Henry..;)

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

I'm watching the Arsenal game from earlier today. and I have to say this:

F'in Robbie Savage!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

USA plays Denmark on the 20th...I'll be interested to see if Bob Bradley changes the formation settings from Bruce Arenas era...
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

;) KS quit kicking that soccer ball (fotball) and get your but back into NFL Football young man. I miss your post you missed a great game yestarday between the Saints and the Eagles best game so far in the playoffs..

I love Football (Soccer) as much as you but the next two week are devoted to the NFL :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

CARLA;516406 wrote: ;) KS quit kicking that soccer ball (fotball) and get your but back into NFL Football young man. I miss your post you missed a great game yestarday between the Saints and the Eagles best game so far in the playoffs..

I love Football (Soccer) as much as you but the next two week a devoted to the NFL :D

Pff...My team is out of it...Now that they're out, I could care less who wins...

That would be like asking someone who's team is only in the middle of the pack, with no chance of overcoming the deficit, who they hope to go on to win the championship...

My team is done...so that means I am done watching. :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

U.S. Men's National Team Ready for Denmark on Saturday, Jan. 20

U.S. Men's National Team Training Camp Update

Carson, California

January 19, 2007

HERE WE GO: It's less than 24 hours until the 2010 World Cup cycle officially gets underway when the U.S. faces Denmark at The Home Depot Center on Jan. 20 (tickets). For the first time in over eight years, a new man will lead the U.S. onto the field when Bob Bradley presides over the inaugural game of the 2007 schedule

http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticl ... 81626.html
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Diuretic;522612 wrote: I watched a programme on the Saints and how it's picking up the spirits of people in New Orleans. Good for them.

I believe it is...At least it serves as something that would keep their minds off of their worries.

In case you misread the thread as American Football...you may want to talk about it in the nfl2006 thread, so as to show your condolences to people who know what you're referring to...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

U.S vs Denmark on Espn 2 at 4:50 ET...

The U.S is 0-1-3 in all 4 meetings vs Denmark.(I believe)

A win here could boost morale for us especially with this being Bob Bradley's first international game as the U.S head coach...
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

God, I am afraid to look at the Villa result, oh please god let us have won one. :o

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Galbally;523567 wrote: God, I am afraid to look at the Villa result, oh please god let us have won one. :o
Here ya go Gal. :-6

Aston Villa2-0

Watford

Mahon o.g. 86

Agbonlahor 90
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

abbey;523636 wrote: Here ya go Gal. :-6

Aston Villa2-0

Watford

Mahon o.g. 86

Agbonlahor 90

YESSSSSAAAA! HOWAY THE VILLANS!

Thanks abbey, made my evening that did!

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;523723 wrote: YESSSSSAAAA! HOWAY THE VILLANS!

Thanks abbey, made my evening that did!

You were playing Watford...

I don't know what would be worse - cheering for Watford, or cheering for the team that lost to Watford.

Fulham was looking like they were going to come out with a win but then Tottenham got the equalizer on a PK with about 2 min left...

USA went down in the middle of the 1st half, but then tied it up on a PK in the latter parts...

2nd half about to start.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;523756 wrote: You were playing Watford...

I don't know what would be worse - cheering for Watford, or cheering for the team that lost to Watford.

Fulham was looking like they were going to come out with a win but then Tottenham got the equalizer on a PK with about 2 min left...

USA went down in the middle of the 1st half, but then tied it up on a PK in the latter parts...

2nd half about to start.

Welcome to my world son. Sorry, I wasn't following football things at all this week, too distracted by other things, well I will take Watford any day, and I know you are a Fulham fan so I am glad we don't need to come to blows because we beat you lot! Anyway, we needs the points, 3 points is three points! :-6 Cool, so you are 1-1 with the Danes, well keep us up to date on that, we don't have that match being covered on the TV tonight, it will be in the roundup tomorrow. Are the USA just playing the Danes or are they taking on a few European countries while they are over here?, you have probably already mentioned it, but I haven't gone back through the threads.

P.S. Who got the peno?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;523774 wrote: Welcome to my world son. Sorry, I wasn't following football things at all this week, too distracted by other things, well I will take Watford any day, and I know you are a Fulham fan so I am glad we don't need to come to blows because we beat you lot! Anyway, we needs the points, 3 points is three points! :-6 Cool, so you are 1-1 with the Danes, well keep us up to date on that, we don't have that match being covered on the TV tonight, it will be in the roundup tomorrow. Are the USA just playing the Danes or are they taking on a few European countries while they are over here?, you have probably already mentioned it, but I haven't gone back through the threads.

P.S. Who got the peno?

Donavon scored the PK...

U.S dominated Denmark in the second half...Mapp came out and showed them up on an awesome half field run, split two defenders in the box and dumped it to Bornstein in the middle of the box to go up 2-1...

Then Cooper came in off the bench and broke free off the line to go one on one with the goalie and put it in the bottom left corner...

U.S 3

Denmark 1
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;523823 wrote: Donavon scored the PK...

U.S dominated Denmark in the second half...Mapp came out and showed them up on an awesome half field run, split two defenders in the box and dumped it to Bornstein in the middle of the box to go up 2-1...

Then Cooper came in off the bench and broke free off the line to go one on one with the goalie and put it in the bottom left corner...

U.S 3

Denmark 1

Good result, that will give them a good confidence boost, are you playing any more matches over here?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
dubs

Post by dubs »

That's a good result for the US! The Danes are no mugs, currently ranked eighth in the world....:D

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;523829 wrote: Good result, that will give them a good confidence boost, are you playing any more matches over here?

Well they played that match in California, and our next game is against Mexico on the 7th, and then Guatemala I believe on the 25th of March...

The Mexico game is always a rivalry for us.

I don't know the rest of the schedule...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;523834 wrote: That's a good result for the US! The Danes are no mugs, currently ranked eighth in the world....:D

They looked good at times, but they looked out of shape

Good to see the new guys going out and getting experience...

actually, the two go ahead goals were their first international goals...
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Now I will give you the commentary as it would sound on British TV.

The US completely dominated the danes in the second half, super-sub Mappy came on, broke from midfield, split the defence, crossed to an on-form Borny, who vollyed the ball into the net, 2-1, Coopy came on later in the half and broke free from the line, went one on one with the keeper and buried it into the bottom left, final score US 3, Denmark 1.

Danish Manager Stig Stigsson said "I'm as sick as a parrot, it was a game of two halves, and we lost both",

American Manager, Rip Thrustworth said, "Great day for us, we dominated all the passages, entered all the right areas, and climaxed with a thundergoal".

Its a funny old game. :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;523837 wrote: Well they played that match in California, and our next game is against Mexico on the 7th, and then Guatemala I believe on the 25th of March...

The Mexico game is always a rivalry for us.

I don't know the rest of the schedule...

USA vs Mexico, home derby, lots of bruises.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”