American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
Barman

Post by Barman »

Well Liverpoop are 1 up already, but who cares about middle of the league stuff.;)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1261151 wrote: Yeah course you do :yh_rotfl

Actually I think its a pretty good prediction

Arsenal are looking very very good (he says through gritted teeth) I'm not sure Man City will finish in the top 4. Their defence is very suspect. They leak a lot of goals.They'll struggle against the big boys. Tottenham may creep in the top 4 or maybe Aston Villa. I think Hull will survive

Will it continue to go wrong for Benitez ? They are at home against the Bluenose tonight but their nerves must be jangling

Honestly, the first goal Man City had given up was against Arsenal in their 4th game from which they'd given up 2 followed by giving up 4 to Manchester United. Man City have given up a total of 14 goals 6 of which is credited to Man U and Arsenal. Their only true goof in my mind was this past game against Burnley giving up 3. Once Man City starts to find the net they're hard to beat.

Hull this year reminds me of Fulham two years ago. They do well at home but couldn't get a point on the road with 12 on the pitch. I don't think many at all, if not anyone, can show the character Fulham had given the two years in a row they escaped relegation. I think Hull goes down with Portsmouth.

I can't exactly blame Benitez. Teams have certain stretches where they can't gel and this is Liverpool's time. Seems to me like teams sack managers as if they enjoy it.

Speaking of Benitez...

Liverpool 1 - 2 Birmingham Halftime

I don't know who I want to win in honesty. I don't feel Fulham will huddle around the relegation zone, yet I don't feel Fulham will beat out Liverpool for a better spot!:yh_think...Toughy!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1261180 wrote: Well Liverpoop are 1 up already, but who cares about middle of the league stuff.;)

Every game is important Barman!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Oh its Benitez' fault alright. You'll not find even a scouser who'd disagree with that. He never plays his best side, chops and changes the side more frequently than his underpants. Last season he set a record of going over a hundred matches, never playing the same set of players. Unprecedented.

He may not get sacked. They cant afford to, having a £20 million pay-off and finding the money for a new manager and the money for his wish-list. Although if they lose tonight his position would become almost untenable. The fans may turn on him.

They havent won the top flight title for 20 years. Thats not good enough for a side of Liverpools stature. If he survives the FA cup is his only saviour
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1261195 wrote: Oh its Benitez' fault alright. You'll not find even a scouser who'd disagree with that. He never plays his best side, chops and changes the side more frequently than his underpants. Last season he set a record of going over a hundred matches, never playing the same set of players. Unprecedented.

He may not get sacked. They cant afford to, having a £20 million pay-off and finding the money for a new manager and the money for his wish-list. Although if they lose tonight his position would become almost untenable. The fans may turn on him.

They havent won the top flight title for 20 years. Thats not good enough for a side of Liverpools stature. If he survives the FA cup is his only saviour

Still...

Liverpool 1 - 2 Birmingham approaching '66
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

At the risk of getting an idea of fan base loyalty, and without asking for stringent detail to appease ones agenda, does Leeds United still have roughly the same size fan base, mediocre in comparison, or downright migration material?
Barman

Post by Barman »

Liverpool dive and get a penalty, same old bunch of cheats, disgraceful.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1261225 wrote: Liverpool dive and get a penalty, same old bunch of cheats, disgraceful.

Yes, I was going to report it but me lack of enthusiasm seems to have won out! :yh_giggle

:wah:

Liverpool 2 - 2 Birmingham '74

:thinking: Actually this result would be ideal for me!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1261219 wrote: Still...

Liverpool 1 - 2 Birmingham approaching '66

Also, if Liverpool fail to acquire a Champions League spot for next season - and that means at least 4th place - Torres will be swept into a top European club. They wont be able to afford to keep him and a player of that stature demands Champion League football. Theyve already lost Alonso to Real Madrid . The very reason they are so bad this season. He was the work horse of the midfield

Stop press 2-2..... 78 mins

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1261222 wrote: At the risk of getting an idea of fan base loyalty, and without asking for stringent detail to appease ones agenda, does Leeds United still have roughly the same size fan base, mediocre in comparison, or downright migration material?

Leeds still has a large and lets say, enthusiastic, fan base. Historically a big club, going through very hard times

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Anyone watching the England vs World XI tomorrow?

I ask because the US has already qualified! :sneaky: :yh_devil :wah: :yh_wink

I am interested to see the matches this weekend...

I personally want to see Ireland qualify(Seeing as how I have significant Irish ancestry, along with English, Scottish, German, and Native American) but because they're playing France, the 2006 World Cup runners up, it will be a well earned qualification! Come on lads! I would have liked to have seen Scotland qualify but that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess...

Here is the list of already qualified teams...

2010 FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are the remaining fixtures for World Cup South Africa 2010 qualifying!

FIFA.com - 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africaâ„¢ matches and results

And here is the information about the final draw for World Cup South Africa 2010

FIFA.com - A big draw card
dubs

Post by dubs »

K.Snyder;1261784 wrote: Anyone watching the England vs World XI tomorrow?

I ask because the US has already qualified! :sneaky: :yh_devil :wah: :yh_wink

I am interested to see the matches this weekend...

I personally want to see Ireland qualify(Seeing as how I have significant Irish ancestry, along with English, Scottish, German, and Native American) but because they're playing France, the 2006 World Cup runners up, it will be a well earned qualification! Come on lads! I would have liked to have seen Scotland qualify but that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess...

Here is the list of already qualified teams...

2010 FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are the remaining fixtures for World Cup South Africa 2010 qualifying!

FIFA.com - 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africaâ„¢ matches and results

And here is the information about the final draw for World Cup South Africa 2010

FIFA.com - A big draw card

Hiya K.. I might watch it, although it's not the current England squad playing, it is for a good cause. It's the Help for Heroes charity, and it will be retired pros, celebs and representatives of the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force playing for England...I dunno who'll make up the World XI. It should be a hoot anyway.

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;1261812 wrote: Hiya K.. I might watch it, although it's not the current England squad playing, it is for a good cause. It's the Help for Heroes charity, and it will be retired pros, celebs and representatives of the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force playing for England...I dunno who'll make up the World XI. It should be a hoot anyway.

Well hello there dubs...

I hadn't known it wouldn't be a serious match. I did see it were for charity but couldn't find which charity it were supporting. I assumed the match would be an attempt to boost team moral in playing the worlds best XI. I suppose this event can be more so appreciated by those familiar with the participants then!

None the less I will most certainly make the effort to see the Ireland vs France game.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham duo help Enterprising pupils

Jonathan Greening and Aaron Hughes visited pupils on the Premier League Enterprise Academy programme.

The Fulham players took time out after training on Monday to meet pupils from the local community as they began units from the Premier League Enterprise Academy programme.

As part of the Places for Players initiative, Fulham Football Club Foundation has joined forces with the Premier League and the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham based Henry Compton School to introduce their new Enterprise Academy programme.

The localised charity initiative looks to involve over 400 children from nearby schools in a year-long vocational learning project. Classes, tours and discussions involved in the curriculum will help aid both learning and skill development in the field of Business Studies.

education agenda

The initiative, which has received £120,000 from the PL/PFA Fund, will be rolled out out by the Fulham FC Foundation's new Enterprise Officer. The programme will be a great way of highlighting the many ways in which the Fulham FC Foundation is contributing to the education agenda locally.

Fulham is the first Premier League club in London to pioneer the project, after already successful ventures by the Foundation in sports, youth and social inclusion work.

The project's main aim is to educate Year 9 pupils in the inner workings of a football club, explaining to them that occupations within the business stem far greater than the 11 players on the pitch. Interactive discussions and modules on the different sections of the organisation which help Fulham to operate successfully will be discussed as part of the curriculum. This will lead to the young people receiving an OCR accreditation.

The introduction of the first two units of the Enterprise programme was made even more exciting for pupils, as Fulham first-team players, Jonathan Greening (Fulham FC's Ambassador for Education) and Aaron Hughes joined the introductory lesson in order to set a task which is to be completed throughout the course.

The first-team players' advice will also assist the pupils in understanding from a first-hand point of view, how important input from everyone at the club is to the squad's final results.

career path

Jonathan Greening said of the scheme: "It's a great way for us as players to get involved within the local community. There are so many jobs and opportunities at a football club and within sport in general, from working in administration offices, the Academy or within the community.

"It takes a lot of people to make the club as a business a success. The work that the Fulham FC Foundation is doing with the kids will be great in helping them realise their potential and will also start them thinking about the career path they want to follow."

Steven Day, Chief Executive of the Fulham FC Foundation is extremely pleased to be working alongside the Premier League in their Creating Chances efforts.

He said: "The Foundation is committed to helping local children progress with learning and the introduction of the Enterprise Academy for Year 9 pupils is an exciting and innovative project not only for the borough but for us as a charity.

"To have some of the first-team players involved in the beginning stages as well, is sure to guarantee the pupils from Henry Compton sit up and listen in their first lesson."

The Enterprise Academy is just the first part of the Premier League Creating Chances initiative that the Fulham FC Foundation will be running this 2009/10 season.Premier League football news from the Barclays Premier League | Fulham duo help Enterprising pupils
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

News in Brief - Fri 4th Dec

A review of the news from around the grounds of each Barclays Premier League club.

Barman

Post by Barman »

Didn't Fulham did well last night. One more win and they are through.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1269400 wrote: Didn't Fulham did well last night. One more win and they are through.

Yes Fulham have to beat FC Basel to go through to the last 32! :yh_wink

Ironically enough...Hodgson: Premier League a priority

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has stressed the Barclays Premier League is still his priority.

The Cottagers' 1-0 victory at home to CSKA Sofia means Fulham will qualify for the knock-out stages of the Europa League if they win their final Group E match away to Basle on 17th December.

Zoltan Gera's winner at Craven Cottage kept Fulham's fate in their own hands as they bid to reach the last 32.

Fringe players were brought in to face the Bulgarians ahead of the Barclays Premier League match against Sunderland on Sunday and Hodgson again plans to rotate his squad for the showdown in Switzerland as he continues to focus on the domestic scene.

"The Premier League is the major concern and the Europa League comes second to that," Hodgson said. "I don't think the fans will hold anything against us for our performances in this competition. They know when we go to Basle we will be doing our very best.

"We are still trying to do the best we can, the players will be trying hard to get us through and that was evident against CSKA, personified by people like Simon Davies, Zoltan Gera and Bobby Zamora.

"We knew it would be tough for Basle to get anything at Roma so with the four points dropped against Roma we always thought we would have had to win the last two games."

talented players

Before Gera's 15th-minute winner, Danny Murphy missed a penalty on his return to action after six weeks out with a knee injury.

"He's our penalty taker," Hodgson said. "It was the first missed since I've been at the club. It wasn't a mistake to let him take it.

"All credit to CSKA, they had nothing to lose in the last 20 minutes and brought talented players on. When you make changes it makes it difficult for players.

"It was foolish to miss a penalty but there were other missed chances and the game could have been dead and buried.

"I'm very pleased that we showed the strength of character to stand up to that."

Hodgson will assess a possible calf injury Simon Davies suffered in the second half.Premier League football news from the Barclays Premier League | Hodgson: Premier League a priority
Barman

Post by Barman »

Englands first game in the World cup, USA. Who would have believed it.

Roll on June, footie all the way.:D
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Group C World Cup draw England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia I it. :-6:-6

DrawTracker - U.S. Soccer
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1269583 wrote: Englands first game in the World cup, USA. Who would have believed it.

Roll on June, footie all the way.:D

I never like playing England. Football/soccer is life to them so their playing style clashes with the fundamentalism of the USA's game.

It's complete and utter confidence vs the drill sergeant approach.

It means if England scores first the USA is f:lips:ed on all fronts!

You seen what happened to Spain, however, so I wouldn't get comfortable!(It's what I have to do to keep from worrying about USA's first match :wah:)

Let's not talk about the Confederations Cup Final, I'll vomit!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok, this needs to be said on behalf of Ireland!

First of all, being the logically inclined person that I am of an altruistic nature unsurpassed by any I have to say that I'm appalled at FIFA's handling(No jokes please this is upset time!) of Thierry Henry's blatant handball against Ireland that seen the Irish incorrectly eliminated from World Cup South Africa 2010!

Let's begin with exhibit A; Blatter(*FIFA president) described Henry's handball as "blatant unfair playing" that was seen around the world.

Only to then follow this complete and utter failure upon every human beings obligation to be noble with this FARCE!...

The world soccer governing body rejected an appeal by Ireland for the game to replayed or adding it as a 33rd team at the World Cup.http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901&ver=us

To me, "you're" either an honorable person or "you're" not! How anyone would choose to be the latter is beyond any part of thought I've ever pondered in my life!

FIFA has done a grave disservice to a nation of people that deserve every right to play in The World Cup like the nations that have equally earned a spot in World Cup South Africa 2010! aside from France which discerns one truth. That truth being that France is playing in World Cup South Africa 2010! illegitimately and all due to the incompetence of mice that call themselves men!

The referee is not to blame wholeheartedly but for FIFA to not take action on this blatant travesty is unparalleled by the virtues of any man

You ought to be ashamed of yourself those whom condone lies

(*)Edit
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Man City v Chelsea should be a good game...

Kick off in 20 minutes...
Barman

Post by Barman »

K.Snyder;1270057 wrote: Man City v Chelsea should be a good game...

Kick off in 20 minutes...

Tevez is class, city doing United a favour beating Chelski 2-1, happy days.:D
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1270111 wrote: Tevez is class, city doing United a favour beating Chelski 2-1, happy days.:D

Given save/Lampard screw up is what you and ManU should be thankful for...

Drogba cried all game!
Barman

Post by Barman »

K.Snyder;1270114 wrote: Given save/Lampard screw up is what you and ManU should be thankful for...

Drogba cried all game!

So used to seeing Drogba cry i take no notice anymore.

Great penalty wasn't it.:D
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1270116 wrote: So used to seeing Drogba cry i take no notice anymore.

Great penalty wasn't it.:D

I actually wanted a tie...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham up 1 - 0 Sunderland halftime

Everton are kicking off against Tottenham now!

Everton are struggling...

Tottenham are doing well I think...
Barman

Post by Barman »

K.Snyder;1270388 wrote: Fulham up 1 - 0 Sunderland halftime

Everton are kicking off against Tottenham now!

Everton are struggling...

Tottenham are doing well I think...

Fulham will be doing well if they can beat the rejuvenated Sunderland who are hoping for a place in the Europa league next season.

Everton will have to start picking up points soon and Spurs will start to fade after Christmas, they always do.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1270392 wrote: Fulham will be doing well if they can beat the rejuvenated Sunderland who are hoping for a place in the Europa league next season.

Everton will have to start picking up points soon and Spurs will start to fade after Christmas, they always do.Fulham 1 - 0 Sunderland FT

Good result

PS: Jimbo's going to kick your ass

:yh_rotfl
Barman

Post by Barman »

K.Snyder;1270398 wrote: Fulham 1 - 0 Sunderland FT

Good result

PS: Jimbo's going to kick your ass

Tis the truth though:wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Wow, excellent!

:thinking: Not so much for Jimbo however! :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

WOW

Everton 2 - 2 Tottenham after Tottenham 2 goal lead through 75'(Or close)

Howard PK save in 93'

WOW

Barman

Post by Barman »

K.Snyder;1270417 wrote: WOW

Everton 2 - 2 Tottenham after Tottenham 2 goal lead through 75'(Or close)

Howard PK save in 93'

WOW

I was wrong, they are fading before Christmas this year.:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1270432 wrote: I was wrong, they are fading before Christmas this year.:yh_rotfl

:lips:

:yh_whistl

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham 3 - 2 FC Basel despite Fulham resting a few starters

Fulham advance to the final 32 in this year's Europa League! :yh_wink

COYW!!!!!!
Barman

Post by Barman »

K.Snyder;1273497 wrote: Fulham 3 - 2 FC Basel despite Fulham resting a few starters

Fulham advance to the final 32 in this year's Europa League! :yh_wink

COYW!!!!!!

Good result:)

COYW, Does that stand for Come On You Wan... no surely not:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1273507 wrote: Good result:)

:yh_wait...

:yh_eyebro
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1273507 wrote: Good result:)

Nothing about Fulham my good man it's merely how cockney's pronounce "cow"!

Barman

Post by Barman »

K.Snyder;1273521 wrote: Nothing about Fulham my good man it's merely how cockney's pronounce "cow"!

Sshhhh don't mention cockneys, Spurs are beating Man city you will only get Jimbo spouting off.;)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1273526 wrote: Sshhhh don't mention cockneys, Spurs are beating Man city you will only get Jimbo spouting off.;)

Don't laugh about their mustaches either, they'll KIEELLL YOU!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham beat Man U 3-0 Saturday...

One thing is for certain and the English Premier League proves to be the most competitive League in the world when teams are riddles with injuries and absentees...

Can anyone truly have expected anything else of Man U with so many regulars not in the game on top of playing a Fulham side that isn't your Pappy's side anymore?

Fulham are an excellent team and they played very well Saturday. I hadn't at all thought they'd play so good after such a busy week travelling to Switzerland, for the Europa League, and having played in close to 0 degreeF temperatures...

On that Man U can afford a bit of a whipping because, well,..it's MAN U FFS! :wah: :yh_wink

Sooooooo....

NANANUHBOOBOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yh_rotfl :yh_wink

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

If Skylark happens to see this...

Moyes welcomes Donovan deal

Everton boss David Moyes believes the arrival of Landon Donovan in January will give his side a much-needed shot in the arm.

Moyes confirmed today the USA striker will join the Toffees on a short-term loan deal when the transfer window opens next month.FIFA.com - Moyes welcomes Donovan deal

I personally would like to see how he does in the EPL...

I followed his stint with Bayern Munich and I thought he did rather well...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

How's this!

LACE UP!

(NIKE)RED Lace Up Save Lives
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Start date confirmed for new season

The start date has been confirmed for the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League season.

The new campaign will get under way on Saturday 14th August 2010.Premier League football news from the Barclays Premier League | Start date confirmed for new season
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1275353 wrote: Premier League football news from the Barclays Premier League | Start date confirmed for new season

Blimey ! We're only half way through this season. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. I want to see Chelsea crowned champions before we defend the title

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1275430 wrote: Blimey ! We're only half way through this season. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. I want to see Chelsea crowned champions before we defend the title

Chelsea will be facing a very confident Fulham side along with quite a number of your starters out!

GOOD LUCK! :yh_rotfl

Fulham 3-0 ManU :yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Well, there are quite a few chelsea fans on here and Fulham Football Club! play chelsea tomorrow so wanted to get me taunting in!

chelsea ONLY DREAM THEY CAN BE AS GOOD AS FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB!

He scores with his left,

He scores with his right,

That boy Clint Dempsey,

Makes drogba look s*ite!

http://www.fanchants.com/football-songs ... t-dempsey/
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Well, I have to say that, unlike many critics/analysts say, that Fulham deserved points, I have to disagree...

They insisted on backing into a shell after capturing the lead! :mad:

I don't know the exact numbers associated with possession times but I do know it's far too unacceptable if any team is expected to win in the English Premier League let alone against the F:mad::lips::mad:N League leaders! :mad:

:wah: Sorry... :wah:

I completely and utterly HATE! timidity! :mad:

Chelsea is good but like I said,..I think they would have been fine if they'd have played their own game and not resort to tucking their tales!

COYW!!!!! YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT! :mad:
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Well, I could gloat and completely agree but....I dont.

Yes we are the League leaders. We are there more by virtue of our fighting spirit as much as the type of football we play. You forget that our home record is second to none over the years. Nobody comes to the Bridge and rolls us over.

In Feb 2004 we started a record breaking run of not being beaten at home for 86 games (we won maybe 60 or more of those). Since feb 2004 we have lost maybe 5 games at home in all competitions. This place is a fortress. However badly we are playing, we will grind the opposityion down.

You cannot criticise Fulham at all. During any competetive match the home side will push the opposition back into their own half. Wave after wave of attacks. Fulham defended superbly at times. You should be proud that you are doing so well. Everybody else is impressed at Fulham's progress under Hodgson. This is not to be disrespectful but Fulham are a very small club. They are punching well above their weight. They're snapping at Liverpools heels for goodness sake

We wouldn't have had too much to complain about had you walked away with a point, although we did have a vast majority of posession and chances/on target/off target/blocked shots etc

Its about expectation I suppose. The more you achieve, the more you expect

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Sure,..but given me own fighting spirit I expect the best...

Yes, Fulham are doing absolutely well but after the second goal by Chelsea Fulham started to push again...It showed that they could have done that throughout the second half but they emphasized more so on keeping players behind the ball...Possession is the biggest part of the game and they changed their own playing style and it cost them. That's what I'm upset about

The old saying goes that if you score you shouldn't celebrate because when you do it shows you're not used to doing it or you're shocked for being there...

They played their game and played well but there was a stretch from about '50 onward to the second Chelsea goal where they acted like the ball would saw their feet off!

I wouldn't be upset had Fulham lost 3-1 when they played their game, but Fulham lost 2-1 by playing someone elses.

Sure I back Fulham. I back them so much I get disappointed when they don't play their own game...

COYW!!!!!!! :yh_bigsmi

Return to “Wide World of Sports”