American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Don't you check on the live Matchcast thingy Galbally?..

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/fo/matchcast.html

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Dubs, did you have to do that :-5 :-5 West Ham are losing
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Omg!

You have to find a way to watch the last 8 minutes of that game...

West Ham had a borrage of chances and your goalie saved you from coming out of a dominated game with a tie...

Final

Villa 1

West Ham 0

Fulham won 2-1. Still waiting to get the reports.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

dubs;539302 wrote: Don't you check on the live Matchcast thingy Galbally?..

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/fo/matchcast.html

No but I will now! Thanks dubs! :-6
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I will check out the highlights on match of the day, thanks K, so we are 12th now, a bit more comfortable, sorry suzy, the Hammers are having some problems, but you will be fine I would say, there are worse teams than west ham down there, and you will come up a bit before the end of season. I know what its like, we were lucky not to be relegated last year, and it could still happen this year as well, though it probably wont.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

West Ham has had alot of injuries haven't they?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;539342 wrote: West Ham has had alot of injuries haven't they?

Yeah, but so have Villa, so it evens out. Those fellas from South America they got at the start of the season haven't worked out too well. Another boring Merseyside derby as well today.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

CARSON, Calif. (AP) -- Midfielders Clint Dempsey and Bobby Convey, defender Carlos Bocanegra and goalkeeper Tim Howard were picked Friday for the 20-man roster for the United States' exhibition game against Mexico next week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Still without a few from our original roster, but it's evident that Bradley wants to send some experienced guys in the friendly against Mexico.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fans could be barred from Italian soccer stadiums

By MARIA SANMINIATELLI

February 5, 2007

ROME (AP) -- Soccer fans won't be allowed into stadiums in Italy unless security measures are met, a decision that comes days after rioting at a game in Sicily in which a police officer was killed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

I remember seeing parts of a game in the Italian league where the fans were setting off flares, and the smoke was so unbearable they postponed the game. I turned the channel so I don't know if they actually were able to proceed with the game, but I'm wondering if this was the same game in association with the article...

Shame about the ignorance resulting in this persons death though.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Soberano;541776 wrote: I see two Americans have now purchased Liverpool F.C. That makes three with Aston Villa and Manchester United American owned.

Liverpool fans being interviewed were very happy saying the club can only go forwards from here. The cost was in the region of £438,000,000. That is a lot of dosh. The two must be sports mad, Gillett owns NHLs Montreal Canadiens and Hicks owns NHL's Dallas Stars and the Texas Rangers.

Yes, and I am a Villa man, well, as long as they don't try and mess the thing up I am happy, and it seems that all of these consortium's are happy to let these clubs do what they have to do as Football clubs, and just want them to succeed as clubs, and make money without getting involved in the day to day stuff (which they seem to realize that they don't really understand (yet). That speech today from the fella who is in charge of the Liverpool bid was interesting, he was basically saying he didn't want to do anything that would damage the reputation of the club, because Americans are perceived as not being Football people, and he realized this, so that was heartening, with that honest attitude, I think they will do well. I think its just a business thing, these people are involved in big sports in the US, they understand that in the rest of the world soccer is by far the biggest game on the planet, and they want a piece of the action, I say good luck to them, Americans are good with money, so they will get the financial side right anyway, and they all seem to have a lot of resources, which should be beneficial for all these clubs, as long as they commit long term to them.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

We play our rival today at 7pm ET against Mexico, and England plays Spain today at 3pm ET.

Wanted to know who Englands rival is in international play.

I wouldn't exactly guess Spain, but I suppose that's why I'm asking.

So, who's Englands rival in international play?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Our great Rival is San Marino, "the auld enemy" San Marino and Ireland, its a grudge match so it is, oh no, hold on, I meant England. :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;542471 wrote: Our great Rival is San Marino, "the auld enemy" San Marino and Ireland, its a grudge match so it is, oh no, hold on, I meant England. :wah:

I would have guessed Northern Ireland or Scotland.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;542489 wrote: I would have guessed Northern Ireland or Scotland.

Are you serious??? :confused:

Think about it man! :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Tough result for England...

They fell to Spain 1-0...

I was hearing about how the English supporters(majority) are unsatisfied with Maclean(Is that the guy?)

Does that mean England is out of the European cup?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Soberano;542600 wrote: England 0-1 Spain, Spain won at a a stroll, not surprised at all. Manager required to replace present vegetable.

Actually I thought England had more chances and looked more aggressive,..

but that all doesn't matter when you can't score or get the equalizer.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Right then,

It's time for U.S.A to play Mexico...

The game comes on at 7pm ET(US)

Mexico are no slouches, so I'm looking to see how the team comes out in this one...This game should say alot as far as how Bradly has prepared the team.
abbey

Post by abbey »

K.Snyder;542597 wrote: Tough result for England...

I was hearing about how the English supporters(majority) are unsatisfied with Maclean(Is that the guy?)

Does that mean England is out of the European cup?No, it was just a friendly.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;542597 wrote: Tough result for England...

Does that mean England is out of the European cup?

Really? Well, Spain can be good sometimes, I don't think this is going to knock England out of Euro 2008, but I might be wrong, I always call the Champions League the European Cup, because thats what it used to be! I must look at what happened to us against the mighty San Marino, I hear their postman can head a decent cross in. :confused:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;542608 wrote: The game comes on at 7pm ET(US)

I had read that wrong

The game comes on at 7pm MT time...Which would be 10pm ET on ESPN2, Live.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Unlike the England game, The Ireland match was important, as regards to the European Championships! And by all accounts you managed to snatch victory out of the jaws, yada yada..... by getting the winner in the fourth minute of extra time. Talk about cutting it fine!!!...Dr G..

I've had a face like a slapped arse since Sunday....and that feckin Man Utd debacle!!!This England performance hasn't improved things!

The England Coach is Steve Mc Claren K.....:mad:

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Kick off time...

US vs Mexico

Always a competitive game.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

U.S won 2-0

The U.S is 7-0-1 vs Mexico at home since 2000, outscoring them 13-0...

Mexico still refuses to shake the U.S's hands after the match...I don't know what that's about, but if class were ever a doubt in CONCACAF I would have to say the U.S has that field won...Not to mention being the better team. ;) :wah:
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

dubs;542779 wrote: Unlike the England game, The Ireland match was important, as regards to the European Championships! And by all accounts you managed to snatch victory out of the jaws, yada yada..... by getting the winner in the fourth minute of extra time. Talk about cutting it fine!!!...Dr G..

I've had a face like a slapped arse since Sunday....and that feckin Man Utd debacle!!!This England performance hasn't improved things!

The England Coach is Steve Mc Claren K.....:mad:

Yes, the current republic of Ireland team are unparalleled rubbish, and I am going to see them play wales in croke park in March? :-5 Apparently we only got the winner in extra time, and were drawing 1-1 with them, thats pathetic, it would have been San Marino's first ever point in a Euro qualifier. Staunton is a rubbish manager IMO, though the quality of players has also gone down in the last few years as well, though there are some younger ones coming through, anyway, the FAI are a bunch of muppets, and should all be fired, as a group, thats my opinion.

Yours, Angry Ireland Fan. :mad:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;542880 wrote: U.S won 2-0

The U.S is 7-0-1 vs Mexico at home since 2000, outscoring them 13-0...

Mexico still refuses to shake the U.S's hands after the match...I don't know what that's about, but if class were ever a doubt in CONCACAF I would have to say the U.S has that field won...Not to mention being the better team. ;) :wah:

Good result Synder, very good result actually. Don't know what the afters is all about, Soccer always seems to bring out the needle between country's don't it? Its a game that generates a lot of emotions, sure didn't Ecuador and Peru have a little war in the 1970s after a controversial match, well look, don't go to war with Mexico, you would win, but it wouldn't be very classsy. :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Conrad's goal to put the US up 1-0

Here's Donavon's goal to seal it 2-0 in stoppage time
tr0lle

Post by tr0lle »

don´t mess with football
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

The USA has been having a dramatic increase in kids playing soccer from the 1980's and 90's and I think it's starting to show a little in my opinion...

I myself played (American)football as a kid and because that season was at the same time as soccer I didn't play it...But I'm wondering if the amount of injuries(Not to say there are none in soccer, but with children there is a significant degree of lesser probability in getting injured in comparison)seen in (American)football has a lasting effect on the mindsets of parents when it comes to what they allow their children to play(I never really gotten injured as a kid playing Am football, but some of my teammates have snapped their legs in two - At around 8-12 years old, that's a pretty serious injury, and without having to experience, my educated guess leaves me to believe it would have to be rather painful.

But here's an article about the popularity increase in the USA of soccer, not just from playing, but from spectators as well.

USA's 2-0 Victory Against Mexico Hits New Rating Highs for Soccer

ESPN2 & Univision Each See Impressive Numbers and Records Set

as USA Improves Home Record Against Mexico to 7-0-1 Since 2000

CHICAGO (Feb. 9, 2007) - Televised soccer hit new rating highs on Wednesday night for the broadcast of the U.S. National Team's 2-0 victory over Mexico on ESPN2 and Univision from University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. For U.S. Soccer, the victory on the field continued the team's dominance of Mexico, but also highlighted the incredible gains the sport is making elsewhere.

ESPN2's broadcast was the most-watched U.S. game in the team's history, outside of the World Cup and World Cup qualifiers. The network earned a 0.7 household rating, which translates to 1.1 million viewers and comes on the heels of the network’s impressive 2006 World Cup ratings. Even more impressively, the game averaged a 1.0 rating during the final 15 minutes as the USA iced the victory.

On Univision, the match also set records with more than 6 million total viewers. The U.S. victory was the No. 2 most-watched Spanish-language sports cast in history, beating every Super Bowl among Hispanic Adults 18-49, Men 18-49 and Total Viewers.

For the entire night, Univision was the second largest broadcast network among all Teens 12-17 with 573,000 viewers (beating ABC, CBS, NBC, CW), the third largest broadcast network among all Adults 18-34 with 2,074,000 viewers (beating CBS, NBC, CW), the fourth largest broadcast network among all Adults 18-49 with 3,617,000 viewers (beating NBC, CW) and the fifth largest broadcast network among all Persons 2+ with 5,931,000 viewers (beating CW).

In Los Angeles, the entertainment capital of the world, nearly 1.2 million viewers watched KMEX-TV’s broadcast of the USA's shutout win to make it the highest-rated program of the night beating out “American Idol,” “Lost” and “CSI: NY.” Additionally, the U.S. victory was the No. 1 ranked program in its time period among Men 18-49 in San Francisco and Dallas, and No. 2 in New York and Chicago (again, against competition like "American Idol," "Lost" and "CSI: NY").

The victory for the USA continued the team’s dominance of Mexico this decade. In nine games played outside of Mexico since the year 2000, the USA is 8-0-1 with an incredible nine consecutive shutouts. That total includes the USA’s 2-0 victory against Mexico in the second round of the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Korea/Japan.

On Wednesday night, in front of a sold out crowd of 62,462 fans, the USA defeated Mexico 2-0 behind goals from Jimmy Conrad and Landon Donovan.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Its Villa vs Reading today, oh man, come on Villa, we need the 3 points, but reading are good this year, its kinda a big match for us, we have yet to prove that we are in any way useful this year, come on villa come on! :guitarist

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Well we got beat, (sickened), the Pool lost too to Newcastle, Chelsea won as well, and Utd (fume), well Leeds won, thats one for hammy! Bloody Reading! :mad:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Yeah, but look on the brightside Galbally, England beat Italy in the Rugby...Doh! I forgot, you're not an Englishman are you? Ah Well! Never mind, I am so YAY!!!!!!:wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;545227 wrote: Well we got beat, (sickened), the Pool lost too to Newcastle, Chelsea won as well, and Utd (fume), well Leeds won, thats one for hammy! Bloody Reading! :mad:

Tough luck for you...

Reading is what, in 6th place? They are in the top of the league I know that...How many would have expected that?

Waiting for the Fulham vs Bolton game tomorrow...Boca and Pearce will be out(even though I think Pearce and Knight should be gone) so to me coming out with a tie would be satisfactory...at least that would move us ahead of Villa and M'brough, and tied with Tottenham.

We play Man U next week, so it doesn't get any easier for Fulham...At least I think we're ok as far as relegation, if we weren't with the next two games it would look pretty grim.

I'm guessing you will be a Bolton fan within the next day, and we both need Wigan to lose or a tie would still be ok
dubs

Post by dubs »

From what I read in the match report, eight yellow cards were shown in the Spurs match. Five to Tottenham, three to Sheffield, must have been a dirty old game.........:(

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;545248 wrote: From what I read in the match report, eight yellow cards were shown in the Spurs match. Five to Tottenham, three to Sheffield, must have been a dirty old game.........:(

They're playing that game right now here on FSC.

I already know the outcome so I 'm not going to watch it.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

dubs;545242 wrote: Yeah, but look on the brightside Galbally, England beat Italy in the Rugby...Doh! I forgot, you're not an Englishman are you? Ah Well! Never mind, I am so YAY!!!!!!:wah: :wah:

Don't worry, we'll be seeing you lot in Croke Park in two weeks, then we shall see. ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;545246 wrote: Tough luck for you...

Reading is what, in 6th place? They are in the top of the league I know that...How many would have expected that?

Waiting for the Fulham vs Bolton game tomorrow...Boca and Pearce will be out(even though I think Pearce and Knight should be gone) so to me coming out with a tie would be satisfactory...at least that would move us ahead of Villa and M'brough, and tied with Tottenham.

We play Man U next week, so it doesn't get any easier for Fulham...At least I think we're ok as far as relegation, if we weren't with the next two games it would look pretty grim.

I'm guessing you will be a Bolton fan within the next day, and we both need Wigan to lose or a tie would still be ok

Oh, anyone who does Villa a favour I love them for about 4 hours, then I revert back to form! :-6

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Galbally;545523 wrote: Don't worry, we'll be seeing you lot in Croke Park in two weeks, then we shall see. ;)

There's no doubt Ireland are red hot favourites, but what happened to Yer man, who's out injured.....Is it O Driscoll?

Galbally

Post by Galbally »

dubs;545530 wrote: There's no doubt Ireland are red hot favourites, but what happened to Yer man, who's out injured.....Is it O Driscoll?

Yeah, thats a blow he is a serious player, it will be an interesting game, for England, Johnny Wilkinson is amazing now he is back, what a player. As long as he can avoid getting smashed up between now and then (he seems to have a hard time avoiding this), I think England have a very good chance of beating us in Croker to our eternal shame, hopefully we will avoid such infamy (Croke Park is famous in Irish history and it would be hard to take if the Sassnach's beat us there, but its all part of the game init?). Its going to be a very interesting encounter. :-6

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Good news is, Charlton plays West Ham...Bad news is, Charlton plays West Ham...

With Fulham losing to Bolton last week, and now having to face Man U, it isn't looking good for Fulham...

Villa and M'brough are tied at 32 with Fulham, and hopefully the 12 point cushion is enough throughout the rest of the season...

The best result would be a tie leaving them both at 21...Hopefully that's exactly what will happen.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

New world rankings came out today...

I'm wondering how the USA jumped 3 spots at the same time Mexico jumped 3 spots after we have beat their A team practically with our B team. We should be ahead of Mexico at least. They haven't beat us, nor scored a goal against us at home since before 2000.

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ ... 07,00.html

Correct that - Mexico jumped 2 spots
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;550306 wrote: New world rankings came out today...

I'm wondering how the USA jumped 3 spots at the same time Mexico jumped 3 spots after we have beat their A team practically with our B team. We should be ahead of Mexico at least. They haven't beat us, nor scored a goal against us at home since before 2000.

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ ... 07,00.html

Correct that - Mexico jumped 2 spots

Yes, the rankings can be confusing, but at least I know we deserve ours because the national team is a load of pants at the moment. That said, I am going to the Ireland Vs Wales European Cup qualifier in Croke Park on March 24th, god I am excited to be going to Croker, it will be amazing, so have a look out for me synder, though it holds 85,000 people so I may be hard to spot! I must check up on who Villa are up against this week, god we need 3 points bad, so do Fulham, but you know, its Villa for me my friend. Apparently the Arsenal scored a masterpiece goal last night.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;550430 wrote: Yes, the rankings can be confusing, but at least I know we deserve ours because the national team is a load of pants at the moment. That said, I am going to the Ireland Vs Wales European Cup qualifier in Croke Park on March 24th, god I am excited to be going to Croker, it will be amazing, so have a look out for me synder, though it holds 85,000 people so I may be hard to spot! I must check up on who Villa are up against this week, god we need 3 points bad, so do Fulham, but you know, its Villa for me my friend. Apparently the Arsenal scored a masterpiece goal last night.

I honestly doubt that game will be broadcast here in the states...(Obviously they will show it on satellite and digital cable with all of those channels- but I don't have that - I get FSC - FSC will only be showing the Premiership games and the Italian leagues and the occasional South American league game)
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;550431 wrote: I honestly doubt that game will be broadcast here in the states...(Obviously they will show it on satellite and digital cable with all of those channels- but I don't have that - I get FSC - FSC will only be showing the Premiership games and the Italian leagues and the occasional South American league game)

Oh don't worry, we will probably loose anyway, but sure maybe you would prefer wales to win! hehe. I keep forgetting that not everyone in the U.S. has the Digital Channels, a lot don't here either, but a lot do, I am not sure what the number of channels on Digital was last time I looked at TV, I think its about 600 in Ireland anyway, unfortunately its mostly nonsense.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”