American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;523843 wrote: USA vs Mexico, home derby, lots of bruises.

It should make for a good game...The U.S looked good, and from Mexico's run in the World Cup I'm sure they will be looking to keep up with their prestige.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;523844 wrote: It should make for a good game...The U.S looked good, and from Mexico's run in the World Cup I'm sure they will be looking to keep up with their prestige.

We played them in the World Cup in 94, they beat us, we were sickened, and we a catholic country as well, and their nutty goalie too with his hat, I don't like em now, you go and beat em for us will ya?
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

FIFA rankings as of Jan. '07
dubs

Post by dubs »

Yes, sorry I was looking at the AQB predictive rankings, not the official FIFA ones.....Doh!.....:thinking:

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;523855 wrote: Yes, sorry I was looking at the AQB predictive rankings, not the official FIFA ones.....Doh!.....:thinking:

I wished they were ranked 8th...Would have given the U.S team alot more notoriety...but their win was impressive...they looked sharp...with the exception to that one breakdown that led to the goal given up by them.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

God I miss the days when the Republic of Ireland actually had a proper football team, as for this shower of losers! Duggggh. We are even under Northern Ireland now! Come on Ireland! :-1

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
abbey

Post by abbey »

My team (Man U) lost 2-0 to the Gooners. :(

Going to Old Trafford next Sat to see them up against Portsmouth.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

abbey;524601 wrote: My team (Man U) lost 2-0 to the Gooners. :(

Didn't they lose 2-1 to Arsenal?
abbey

Post by abbey »

K.Snyder;524754 wrote: Didn't they lose 2-1 to Arsenal?Arsenel are also known as the gunners/gooners.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Hamster;524758 wrote: Abbey I have to say with the deepest compassion a Leeds Fan can muster:

Nah nah ne nah nah!!!!! :lips:I forgive you my dear.:D
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;524754 wrote: Didn't they lose 2-1 to Arsenal?

Yes the Gunners (gooners) are Arsenal, they did a United on United by getting two jammy goals in the closing stages and sickening them, thats usually what united do to other teams, most famously against Bayern (Munich) in the European Cup Final in 1999.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Galbally;524812 wrote: Yes the Gunners (gooners) are Arsenal, they did a United on United by getting two jammy goals in the closing stages and sickening them, thats usually what united do to other teams, most famously against Bayern (Munich) in the European Cup Final in 1999.

Yeah! In the 20th minute of extra time!............:wah:

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Anyone feel like the premierships should stage a tournament based playoff for the title at the end of the year, much like the World Cup single elimination rounds?

Also

Anyone feel that the FIFA world rankings should be changed from the statistical point of view, and left for a panel to decide?
dubs

Post by dubs »

The Football leagues run on the premise, that the consistently best team, throughout the season, wins. If, for instance, the team that's led the league all season, loses in a playoff, to say, a team that ended the season 4th but qualified for a playoff place......Well...That wouldn't go down too great.

As to your second question...How would a panel decide other than using the statistics that are already there?....Not sure how that would work.:thinking:

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;525067 wrote:

As to your second question...How would a panel decide other than using the statistics that are already there?....Not sure how that would work.:thinking:

The strength of schedule would play a factor...For instance, a team that has won just as many games as another, yet because they hadn't played against near as competitive of teams, they get a ranking higher than a team that may have been close in as many wins while playing against better teams.

Anyone can have good stats...but to be good, you have to prove it against other good teams.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;525141 wrote: The strength of schedule would play a factor...For instance, a team that has won just as many games as another, yet because they hadn't played against near as competitive of teams, they get a ranking higher than a team that may have been close in as many wins while playing against better teams.

Anyone can have good stats...but to be good, you have to prove it against other good teams.

Nah, its grand the way it is. They just need 2 more linesmen for the offside trap, no use of any technology, and also they should probably give the European cup a bit of a polish for when we win it next year.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
dubs

Post by dubs »

K.Snyder;525141 wrote: The strength of schedule would play a factor...For instance, a team that has won just as many games as another, yet because they hadn't played against near as competitive of teams, they get a ranking higher than a team that may have been close in as many wins while playing against better teams.

I can understand what you're saying, but the benchmark is already set, inasmuch as the teams involved have achieved the rank of playing in the EPL. With the 4 main leagues. EPL, The Championship, League One and League Two, with its system of promotion/relegation. Teams can play their way to higher status, ensuring teams of similar abilities are matched, and of course, the increasing financial reward gained by teams as they climb is to be considered also. Where the leagues merge, is in the major domestic cup competitions, the FA cup is open to all league teams, of whichever division the team belongs, however the disparity in skill levels, soon becomes obvious between top and lower clubs. The Cup final is always contested by top teams.

Sorry that was a long winded way of saying...."what Dr G said"!...;)

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I thought this site was cool because you can view the World rankings from individual confederations as well...

http://fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/inde ... 07,00.html

Mexico is currently ahead of the U.S, but hopefully after we beat them in Feb. that will change. :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;523823 wrote: ...Mapp came out and showed them up on an awesome half field run, split two defenders in the box and dumped it to Bornstein in the middle of the box to go up 2-1...

U.S 3

Denmark 1

Here was the goal settup by Mapp running half the field.

Was a sweet run.

chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

abbey;524601 wrote: My team (Man U) lost 2-0 to the Gooners. :(

Yep I was sooooo sorry to see this........not. :D :p
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Galbally;525341 wrote: Nah, its grand the way it is. They just need 2 more linesmen for the offside trap, no use of any technology, and also they should probably give the European cup a bit of a polish for when we win it next year.

Hahaha aren't you a Villa fan Galbally?? Sorry if that's the case I have to have a little chuckle! :D :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Only 4 games being played on Tuesday and they have to show all 3 of the ones other than the Fulham game...

what a joke.
dubs

Post by dubs »

I don't think Fulham played Tuesday night K. Their last game was the draw with Spurs on Saturday. I know they play next Tues, against Sheffield United, but before then there's The FA Cup Fourth round game V Stoke City (Today) Should beat the cr@p out of em!

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;531839 wrote: I don't think Fulham played Tuesday night K. Their last game was the draw with Spurs on Saturday. I know they play next Tues, against Sheffield United, but before then there's The FA Cup Fourth round game V Stoke City (Today) Should beat the cr@p out of em!

I know...I meant next tuesday.

And they're not showing the FA cup match either.
dubs

Post by dubs »

OOPs! Thought you meant the week just gone....

The BBC own the rights to broadcast FA Cup matches. So the company you get your EPL games through, would have to do another deal with the Beeb to get Cup games. That would bump your costs up mate!

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;531894 wrote: OOPs! Thought you meant the week just gone....

The BBC own the rights to broadcast FA Cup matches. So the company you get your EPL games through, would have to do another deal with the Beeb to get Cup games. That would bump your costs up mate!

Nah I get Fox Soccer Channel which is a more expensive contract, and they show alot of premiership games and most of the FA cup games but never Fulham...It's frustrating.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Did you see on Fulhams website, that they've bought Simon Davies from Everton, midfielder, used to play for Spurs, Welsh International. Not bad!

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;531900 wrote: Did you see on Fulhams website, that they've bought Simon Davies from Everton, midfielder, used to play for Spurs, Welsh International. Not bad!

Didn't he used to play for tottenham too with Robie Kean?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Its Saturday, Full FA Cup Program! Whohoo! Except we got knocked out by Chelski. (cry)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham killed Stoke 3-0...

Weren't they the defending league one Champs or something like that?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Seems to me like Fulham is making a push for the FA Cup after acquiring Alexei Smertin, Simon Davies, Clint Dempsey, and Montella all in relatively short time.

I look for Fulham to be a very well rounded team next year if they can only find a way to not give up so many goals...
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

I think Fulham are looking good this year. I remember seeing the match they had at Craven Cottage against Arsenal, and they destroyed them throughout the 90 minutes.

Anyone hear about Michel Platini becoming the new UEFA president and his thoughts on the changes he hopes to have made around Europe? I'm not sure on this change to 3 teams from the Premiership playing in the Champions League. Wouldn't this surely mean then that more teams from other more unknown footballing countries would play as Italy and Spain would be limited to 3 as well. If this were the case then I really wouldn't see the Champions League as the true elite competition that it once was.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

chrisb84uk;533024 wrote: I think Fulham are looking good this year. I remember seeing the match they had at Craven Cottage against Arsenal, and they destroyed them throughout the 90 minutes.

They will look better when Niemi is healthy.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;523846 wrote: We played them in the World Cup in 94, they beat us, we were sickened, and we a catholic country as well, and their nutty goalie too with his hat, I don't like em now, you go and beat em for us will ya?

Is Keane your guys' best player? I know he's always done well with Tottenham.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;531900 wrote: Did you see on Fulhams website, that they've bought Simon Davies from Everton, midfielder, used to play for Spurs, Welsh International. Not bad!

I read the post too fast and missed where you had already said he played for the spurs...

I remember Davies...good midfielder...
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

KS you have turned into a Football junkie.. ;) you amaze me with your knowledge. Any good games on today.???
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

CARLA;533058 wrote: KS you have turned into a Football junkie.. ;) you amaze me with your knowledge. Any good games on today.???

Arsenal and Bolton just tied 1-1...

The rest were a blowout as anyone would expect.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

CARLA;533058 wrote: KS you have turned into a Football junkie..

I appreciate sports...
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Believe me I understand.. ;)

[QUOTE]I appreciate sports...[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

dubs

Post by dubs »

K...I've got some good news, and some bad news! The good news is that Fulham have got a home tie in the Fifth round of the FA Cup...........Bad news is, it's against Tottenham Hotspur!!!!!! COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!:D

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;534002 wrote: K...I've got some good news, and some bad news! The good news is that Fulham have got a home tie in the Fifth round of the FA Cup...........Bad news is, it's against Tottenham Hotspur!!!!!! COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!:D

Spurs don't worry me...

especially with our new midfield.

Oh, and Montella is lighting it up too.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

England gets set to have an international friendly against Spain on Feb 7 I believe...The same day the U.S plays Mexico...

The U.S and Denmark didn't really have all of their national team when they played, but I have a felling that the U.S will be suiting up their normal guys against Mexico...

I wonder if England and Spain will have their original rosters in the game.

Has England submited their roster for the match yet?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Soberano;538815 wrote: I think Spurs just might fall at Fulham.

If Coleman would take the thumb out of his arse, and take tweedle dee and tweedle dumb out of the back positions we might.

Our defense is that of the Maginot line.

Soberano;538815 wrote:

England v Spain is anybody's guess.

Yeah, but are they committing their original players?
dubs

Post by dubs »

England will do as the US did in their recent match, namely try out new players, to see how they will fit into the squad. Or try out different combinations of existing players, to tweak tactics. It sometimes makes for dull viewing, but when you think about it, when else can they try new stuff out, other than a friendly where there's nothing at stake if they lose..

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Villa looks to be in control of their game against West Ham...West Ham's luck just continues to go down hill...They lost another guy to injury...Galbally can probably exhale now. :wah:

Fulham is tied at the half at 0-0...

I was only able to see the Villa/West Ham game on FSC, but I will look up the game on the Internet to see what happened...
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

K.Snyder;539265 wrote: Villa looks to be in control of their game against West Ham...West Ham's luck just continues to go down hill...They lost another guy to injury...Galbally can probably exhale now. :wah:

Fulham is tied at the half at 0-0...

I was only able to see the Villa/West Ham game on FSC, but I will look up the game on the Internet to see what happened...

But whats the score, oh dear, they won't say it on the radio, we need to win this one, big time! Let me know when you know synder, I will probably know before you, but it would be funny that I have to ask a fella in America on the internet whats happening in Birmingham because the radio refuses to talk about anyone except chelsea, arsenal, united, and the pool, bloody hell! :-5

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Galbally;539294 wrote: But whats the score, oh dear, they won't say it on the radio, we need to win this one, big time! Let me know when you know synder, I will probably know before you, but it would be funny that I have to ask a fella in America on the internet whats happening in Birmingham because the radio refuses to talk about anyone except chelsea, arsenal, united, and the pool, bloody hell! :-5

Ha

It's 1-0 Villa, and they are in complete control of the game...

West Ham's attack is dreadful, but because they're only up 1 anything can happen...

They are making West Ham look like a league 2 team for sure.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”