Mr. Andre Agassi

Discuss all types of sports.
Nomad

Mr. Andre Agassi

Post by Nomad »

MAN OF THE HOUSE: Andre Agassi

Dayn Perry / FOXSports.com

Why he's the Man ...

Andre Agassi. He's been a fixture in men's tennis for two decades. He's been an icon, and he's been one of the best players ever to swing a racquet. He's been a mullet-wearing dandy, he's had the Mr. Clean look, he's been married to Brooke Shields, he's dated Barbra Streisand, he's shaved his chest, and he's pitched more product than anyone can remember. Yes, Andre has been very much with us in modern times, and it's finally time for him to hang up the tennis sweater (not that he wears one.)

He's been a winner, and he's been a swell guy all the while. And that's why we're doffing our cap to him. This past week, Agassi made his swan song at the U.S. Open, and it was also the last time fans had a chance to see him play in a tour event. So the face of men's tennis is walking away from the game at age 36. But he didn't go down meekly.

Agassi survived a classic first-round encounter, and then he felled Marcos Baghdatis in a legendary match. Agassi fought excruciating back pain and toiled for almost four hours to top Baghdatis — the No. 8 seed in the tourney — 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 5-7, 7-5. Agassi lost his next match, but he left the fans at Flushing Meadows with many memories.

So for dominating his game and dominating the headlines, we call Andre the Man for this week.

What he's done ...

Where to begin? Agassi is one of only five dudes to win all four Grand Slam events in his career. Over the years, he's tallied four Australian Open titles, one French Open, one Wimbledon and two U.S. Opens, and he also was the No. 1 player in the world for 1999.

Agassi began playing tennis almost as soon as he could walk. He would hit up to 5,000 balls a day, and by age five he was practicing with Jimmy Connors (yes, age five). As a young adolescent, Andre trained with the legendary Nick Bollettieri, and by age 16 he was a pro. From there, he became the fastest player ever to reach $2 million in career earnings. Twenty years later, that figure is up to, oh, $31 million or so (and that's not counting the scratch he's gotten from a veritable butt-load of endorsements over the years).

On the court, Agassi made hay by playing an aggressive baseline game and by, in the words of John McEnroe, being the best service returner in the history of the sport. Off the court, Andre's worked tirelessly over the years to help the youth of Las Vegas (his hometown) via the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation. Like we said, swell guy.

What he'll do ...

Enjoy retirement. He'll enjoy life with his spouse, Steffi Graf (not a bad tennis player in her own right) and spend more time with his two kids. He'll also knock the ball around on occasion, continue appearing in commercials, comment on the game and keep on helping the less fortunate. Shuffleboard and early-bird dinners? Not for Andre Agassi.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Mr. Andre Agassi

Post by CARLA »

He is one of the true Gentlemen of the Tennis world. :-4 Alway thoughtful, kind, and willing to tell it like it was with his game.. I got interested in watching tennis again because of Andre Agassi.. :cool:

Kinda of like TIGER WOODS, I have never played a round of golf in my life but I watch the game because he is so damn good... Well maybe I have played 9 hole but Golf is not my game, driving the cart with the beer is..:D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Mr. Andre Agassi

Post by K.Snyder »

I never payed much attention to tennis....

well...

mens tennis that is....

But I always rooted for Agassi.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”