Play calling 101

Discuss all types of sports.
valerie

Play calling 101

Post by valerie »

Anybody here capable of teaching a course?

Spot, even?

'Cause it's all Greek to me. Just read in the paper that the Ninurz

have changed the name of a play, it went from (GET THIS)

"Quick Ace Dragon" to "212 F Flat". Somebody tell me how that

is freakin' possible and how in the hedoubletoothpicks any players

are supposed to REMEMBER all that?

Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

chonsigirl

Play calling 101

Post by chonsigirl »

Ha-you said hedoubletoothpicks, my mom always said that when mad!
minks

Play calling 101

Post by minks »

chonsigirl wrote: Ha-you said , my mom always said that when mad!

hedoublehockeysticks here in Canada... go figure
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Adam Zapple

Play calling 101

Post by Adam Zapple »

They have a playbook....they memorize it....then they practice, practice, practice....
Nomad

Play calling 101

Post by Nomad »

valerie wrote: Anybody here capable of teaching a course?

Spot, even?

'Cause it's all Greek to me. Just read in the paper that the Ninurz

have changed the name of a play, it went from (GET THIS)

"Quick Ace Dragon" to "212 F Flat". Somebody tell me how that

is freakin' possible and how in the hedoubletoothpicks any players

are supposed to REMEMBER all that?

No one knows Val. Its all very secret. Each team guards their playbook well.
I AM AWESOME MAN
valerie

Play calling 101

Post by valerie »

I know, silly Sweet Pea!!

I just wondered who were the people who picked the names and

where they got them!! Did they talk to you?!?!?!? ;)

I don't know why Quick Ace Dragon didn't turn into Slow Diamond

Lizard, just as an example!!!

:p
Tamsen's Dogster Page

ZAP

Play calling 101

Post by ZAP »

And how the heck do those baseball batters, facing with a 3-2 count know what the coach is saying when he signals by touching his forehead, chin, nose, cheek, cheek, nose, etc. . .
K.Snyder

Play calling 101

Post by K.Snyder »

Anytime you have a play, not every letter or number(signs in baseball) is directed toward every player on the field. In the case of, for instance 212 F flat, the 212 may be directly targeted to a specific player or position, at the same time the "F" in this play may signify which hole it is a running back is supposed to hit when being handed the ball, whereas the wide receivers may disregard that part of the play as it isnt intended for them...for instance the wide receivers part of the play may be the "Flat" which may tell them to run a Flat route. Each player on the field has a certain part of the play that they pay attention to, with the exception of what count the ball is to be snapped, as well as if it is a run play or pass play, for the sake of the lineman knowing whether to pass block or run block. Its all rather simple. Just seems complicated.

When i played,

I played running back--

and each hole i was supposed to hit(on either side of which lineman blocking for me i was supposed to run through) theyre would be a letter as well as a number in which i specifically payed attention to.

From center(postion-guy who snaps the ball) to left was ODD numbered in direct correlation to having a letter. The letter was the same for each slot from center to both left and right...the way we knew which side to run in each slot(A B C D E) would either be an ODD number for left, or an EVEN number for right.

So, a part of a play given to our quarterback that involved lets say C-42, I would then go to the right side of the offensive line into the "C" hole...which was off the right tackle position.

So a play could be "C-42 Right slot fake end around"...i would only have to pay attention to the C-42 part, whereas the person playing the end position would know that hes doing the fake end around and that the C-42 part doesnt apply to him..obviously the count would be at the end...sounding much like this "C-42 Right Slot Fake End around on 2 on 2"...

Hope this explains it for you.
K.Snyder

Play calling 101

Post by K.Snyder »

Zapata wrote: And how the heck do those baseball batters, facing with a 3-2 count know what the coach is saying when he signals by touching his forehead, chin, nose, cheek, cheek, nose, etc. . .

Ironically enough, this is more simple to follow than that of an average NFL playbook..

Looks complicated right?

Not at all

Most of the things a coach is doing when going through all of those signs, is nothing more than to make it appear more confusing than it actually is. What i mean is, most of those signs dont mean anything to the batter...

the coach may go through a series of signs like nose, chin, chest, swipe the arm, pat the head, etc etc...

but the only thing that means anything to the batter may be one or more of those signs which may only mean anything when displayed in a certain order, that in which he would know what to do...

for instance they could set up the "real" sign before a game starts so that players know that when they swipe the chest they know to bunt, swing away, take the pitch or whatever they have set up...

also, they make it to where if they do the "real" sign before they do, lets say(hypothetical) they touch the chin, then that would negate the "real" sign so as to not let the opposing team catch on to the code.....the more signs they have the longer it takes for the opposing team to decipher them all in general.

To be honest as many signs as they have it would take a real long time to figure them out, which is why teams generally change the "real" signs for every team, and may even go back to the same set for different teams....its really not even worth trying to figure them out if you arnt informed of the real signs as would the players on the team displaying them.
valerie

Play calling 101

Post by valerie »

KS, thank you soooo much for that, it really did help. I appreciate that

you even took the time...

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Return to “Wide World of Sports”