College Football '06-07

Discuss all types of sports.
NefariousSaint

College Football '06-07

Post by NefariousSaint »

Myself, I'm a Michigan fan who can't stand the Shmuckeyes. Dunno if that many people here watch college games because I haven't seen many threads on it. I know that Zapple is a fan of the LSU Tigers who are talking title this year along with about 10 other teams. I'd be happy if the Wolverines just won 2 games, Notre Dame and OSU. I know they can do more but that would be worth it....not much luck the past few years.

Who do you think has a shot this year? Who will pull away and win the Heisman? Do you like the 5th bowl and the new system the BCS is going to put in effect? How about the GMAC bowl being played the night before the NC? And wth is the International Bowl being played in TORONTO !!! How about a bowl game up north in the cold before going out of the country?
LilacDragon

College Football '06-07

Post by LilacDragon »

I didn't realize that there were other teams besides Michigan! M Go Blue!!
Sandi

Sheryl

College Football '06-07

Post by Sheryl »

Texas Tech Red Raiders
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
DesignerGal

College Football '06-07

Post by DesignerGal »

Go Dawgs!

Uga!

HBIC
NefariousSaint

College Football '06-07

Post by NefariousSaint »

Actually I think UGA could suprise some people this year. they are the only team besides Oklahoma I believe that has been in the top 10 in recruiting by rivals.com the past 5 years. Plus their schedule isn't brutal unlike say...LSU's.

TT better watch out from the other team in Texas that isn't in their conference......TCU. They might be one of the better mid majors this year.
K.Snyder

College Football '06-07

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh, how i hate Michigan

Attached files
Sheryl

College Football '06-07

Post by Sheryl »

NefariousSaint wrote: Actually I think UGA could suprise some people this year. they are the only team besides Oklahoma I believe that has been in the top 10 in recruiting by rivals.com the past 5 years. Plus their schedule isn't brutal unlike say...LSU's.

TT better watch out from the other team in Texas that isn't in their conference......TCU. They might be one of the better mid majors this year.

TCU ?? Texas Christian University ?? sorry early morning and brain not functioning on full power yet.

my son
NefariousSaint

College Football '06-07

Post by NefariousSaint »

Sheryl wrote: TCU ?? Texas Christian University ?? sorry early morning and brain not functioning on full power yet.

The very same. Good team they have down there with a good coach. Actually them and Boise State have talks of actually making into a BCS game this year like Utah couple years back.
Sheryl

College Football '06-07

Post by Sheryl »

It's in Abilene so I don't hear much bout thier team. I just usually root for Tech :D

my son
NefariousSaint

College Football '06-07

Post by NefariousSaint »

Well the first week is in the books after FSU defeated the Canes. Two great run defenses or two teams that have zero run games. Think it's a little of both.

My Wolverines D looked strong but the entire team needs to be doing catching drills all week long. 3 possible scores were dropped that would have made it a blowout and the damn new OC for some reason decided that Hart needed to carry the ball 31 times. All off season I heard they were going to give it to grady and Brown more but nah....let Hart get dinged up again.

OSU looks like they need to answer a few questions quickly before the long trip to Texas or they are gonna be in for a long game. Wolfe had all kinds of yards and texas has a bigger offense line and three great backs to NIU's one. Hoping they can go there and get a win for the Big 10 but if they get beat I won't be losing any sleep over it. Should be a great game and looking foward to it.

As far as my picks went, I'm in a league that includes the spread and confidence points at Yahoo! Out of 231 possible points I managed 198 which was good enough for 5th place to start the season out of 22.
Adam Zapple

College Football '06-07

Post by Adam Zapple »

USC looks strong again. I thought they might be down a little bit but apparently not. I still suspect they will lose at least one this season. The PAC-10 is overrated as Tennessee proved. Cutcliffe's return as OC in Knoxville has made a world of difference. Urban Meyer's still trying to run the wrong offense with Chris Leak. West Virginia may have been guaranteed an undefeated season when Micheal Bush went down. Oklahoma and ND were disappointing. Auburn looks tough.
K.Snyder

College Football '06-07

Post by K.Snyder »

Ohio State being ranked #1 to start the year, I have to say, I was pretty shocked....

We have lost 9 starters on defense to the NFL. I just cant see how top analysts can rank any team #1 after losing that many starters on one side of the ball. I mean OSU is my team and all, but #1?....I am still holding my breath. I know OSU has a reputation of being able to fill positions very effectively, especially on defense, but thats practically half the football team.

Our offense, with the growing confidence of Troy Smith will be a handful, even for Texas. We beat Texas next week, and I will be more comfortable with the #1 team in the nation icon in everything Ohio State.

Beat Michigan!
K.Snyder

College Football '06-07

Post by K.Snyder »

Wow,

After Ohio State beat Texas last night 24-7, I am utterly impressed with Ohio States defense, as well as their ability to recruit supreme talent to make up for the starters that they lose each year. After losing nine starters on defense to the NFL, Ohio State looked liked they deserve to be #1 in the nation, as they held #2 ranked Texas to only seven points(which may very well be in question to an obvious bad call against Ohio State by the refs that eventually led to the only seven points accumulated by the Longhorns).

As far as Ohio Sates offense, quarterback Troy Smith has shown his maturity in the league and is currently the man in the lime light being considered for the Heisman Trophy award coveted by all college football players. Ohio States offense is among the best in the league, and if they continue to play as well as they did on defense against Texas, they most certainly are favorites heading into a national title run.
Sheryl

College Football '06-07

Post by Sheryl »

I had to switch back and forth between the Tech vs UTEP game and the Texas and Ohio one. I was laughing so hard at how Texas was getting thier butt's handed to them. Sorry not a Texas fan at all. :D

Tech's game was a good one. UTEP put up quit a fight, went into overtime and Tech won by a field goal. :D

my son
CheshireCat

College Football '06-07

Post by CheshireCat »

I bleed orange! :-6

"My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!
Sheryl

College Football '06-07

Post by Sheryl »

CheshireCat wrote: I bleed orange! :-6

I'm a fan of Tennesse's womens basketball team. I'm always rooting them on, cept when they play Tech.

my son
guppy

College Football '06-07

Post by guppy »

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!

i am a uga fan too.

Did you see the game yesterday? Stafford played a good game. I bet he starts next Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CheshireCat

College Football '06-07

Post by CheshireCat »

Sheryl wrote: I'm a fan of Tennesse's womens basketball team. I'm always rooting them on, cept when they play Tech.

They are wonderful too! :-6

God Bless BR!!!
Adam Zapple

College Football '06-07

Post by Adam Zapple »

Looks like we have our share of SEC fans! Should be a great year. LSU v Auburn this week should be a doozy! GEAUX TIGERS!
CheshireCat

College Football '06-07

Post by CheshireCat »

Adam Zapple wrote: Looks like we have our share of SEC fans! Should be a great year. LSU v Auburn this week should be a doozy! GEAUX TIGERS!
I agree Adam!

UT is off to a GREAT start! :-6

We might get back to our glory days when we had Peyton. :guitarist

God Bless BR!!!
CheshireCat

College Football '06-07

Post by CheshireCat »

OOH RAH!

Rocky Top baby! :guitarist

God Bless BR!!!
Adam Zapple

College Football '06-07

Post by Adam Zapple »

Getting Cutcliffe back as OC has made all the difference. You guys should get rid of Phat Phil and make Cut head coach. Ole Miss was stupid to fire him.
NefariousSaint

College Football '06-07

Post by NefariousSaint »

NefariousSaint wrote: TT better watch out from the other team in Texas that isn't in their conference......TCU. They might be one of the better mid majors this year.

Nailed that one on the head. Go Frogs.

Michigan looked great against Notre Dame but the real test is going thru the next 5 weeks unbeaten. Don't see it happening. LSU and Sooners fans gotta be frustrated after this weekends games. Wonder if they will overrule and give the Sooners a W after a CLEARLY missed call.
K.Snyder

College Football '06-07

Post by K.Snyder »

It all don't matter....

Only one team gonna win the National Title this year --

And it isn't Michigan

Attached files
G-man

College Football '06-07

Post by G-man »

None of my alma maters are gonna' be in national championship contention, this year... :wah:

I'll still watch them play on satellite when I can though... Go Bulldogs! :p

I was hopin', however that Notre Dame would be good this year... OSU and Auburn both played great over the weekend...

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Adam Zapple

College Football '06-07

Post by Adam Zapple »

NefariousSaint wrote: Nailed that one on the head. Go Frogs.

Michigan looked great against Notre Dame but the real test is going thru the next 5 weeks unbeaten. Don't see it happening. LSU and Sooners fans gotta be frustrated after this weekends games. Wonder if they will overrule and give the Sooners a W after a CLEARLY missed call.

Oklahoma flat out got hosed out of a win. That call was a crime. As far as LSU is concerned, I can understand making a wrong judgement call every now and then but that game was ridiculous. They overturned two calls correctly made on the field that ended LSU drives deep in Auburn territory. An interception by LSU was nullified by a defensive PI call on a pass that was tipped at the line of scrimmage - then they overturned the officials call on the field on a PI against Auburn when the ball was tipped downfield after the interference with an LSU receiver occurred. On another play LSU went for it on 4th down in Auburn territory, the pass was caught, the ball stripped by Auburn and it rolled out of bounds for an LSU first down. That's the call by the official on the field and replays showed that, while close, it was the correct call but it was overturned by the replay officials. Then there were obvious no-calls like late hits. But the worst no-call and the only bad call that I would say definitely cost LSU the game was when LSU WR Brandon LaFell was mugged in the endzone on a pass that would have hit him on the numbers for a TD. The ref had to be watching the cheerleaders to miss that one, it was that obvious. Here's the link. Please, if I'm being a homer let me know but if that ain't pass interference I don't know what is. Look for yourself.

But LSU still had chances to win the game, should have won the game, but didn't make it happen. Auburn played a great game, they have nothing to apologize for. It was a heavyweight bout - somebody had to lose.
Adam Zapple

College Football '06-07

Post by Adam Zapple »

On that clip I linked to - on that play there was a camera angle shown during the game that clearly showed David Irons holding LaFell's right arm so that he couldn't attempt to catch the ball. I can't find that angle on the web, though.
NefariousSaint

College Football '06-07

Post by NefariousSaint »

Getting sick and tired of all the ranting the OU is doing. They've asked for everything but the chair for the officials. Get over it.....nothing you can do about it.
Sheryl

College Football '06-07

Post by Sheryl »

Sheryl wrote: It's in Abilene so I don't hear much bout thier team. I just usually root for Tech :D

Ok it's in Dallas. my hubby saw this and started laughing . :rolleyes:

my son
Adam Zapple

College Football '06-07

Post by Adam Zapple »

NefariousSaint wrote: Getting sick and tired of all the ranting the OU is doing. They've asked for everything but the chair for the officials. Get over it.....nothing you can do about it.

NS - you are right for the most part. OU's attempt to get the game thrown out is ridiculous, not going to happen and shouldn't. Bad calls are a part of sports and they aren't the first team to get hosed out of win. But I understand their outrage. Not just that the call was wrong but that they got it wrong on replay too. What the heck is replay for if they are still gonna get the call wrong.

There were a lot of bad calls that went against LSU but the ones that everyone still seem to be talking about revolve around the calls that were made correctly on the field only to be reversed. Those are head-scratchers.
NefariousSaint

College Football '06-07

Post by NefariousSaint »

I'm in a debate at a sports board I go to right now about the replay system. They changed the rules to shorten the game which eveyone hates. Clock goes down to fast in the end and noone has time to make the great comebacks anymore. Insert the instant replay. The object of the rules again were to LIMIT THE TIME the games take. The games aren't any shorter.....the replay calls by the booth is eating up the time saved. So basically it comes down to making rule changes so they could insert the instant replay and still not get the calls right about 40 % of the time. So now instead of me being pissed at an official for making a bad call I can now throw stuff at the TV for the replay STILL not making the correct call and then my team also losses momentum because it took 5 minutes to review. If we are losing there isn't that much of a chance to come back due to the clock rules.

I HATE CHANGE

Next I'm going to have to watch the Michigan/OSU under the lights for the first time ever. They already moved it to 3:30 this year so 8 is just down the road. I know most people like night games but when it comes to this game I think it's a bad idea. For one, when played at the Shoe the fans have 8 more hours of drinking to make an ass of themselves and couches will be even more scarce after the "after party/riot" win or lose. Also, I enjoy going to the bar after the game and trash talking with pals. Game over at 11:30 PM it doesn't leave time for that.

Eh, whatcha gonna do.......
K.Snyder

College Football '06-07

Post by K.Snyder »

I think its about time they set the instant replay in motion. As an athlete I always wanted the correct call made on the field, no matter who complains about the time. The game should be played to its full potential and with the incorporation of video replay the rightful winners of the game will be rewarded...Its the least the league can do for people who train extensively only to have some clueless ref blow a great play, and practically ruin the entire game.
NefariousSaint

College Football '06-07

Post by NefariousSaint »

Good read on the replay system here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt ... &type=lgns

Rest of the season should be exciting. USC has a stacked schedule that will be rough to go undefeated thru. Florida's task is rather easy until the SEC title game. Hardest team to beat will be FSU...Oh My. Auburn's only shot I believe is if the Hogs get beat twice so the Tigers have a shot at the SEC title game against Florida. Notre Dame still has a outside chance but I can't stand them so I'd like to see them get knocked off by USC. Of course you have the big game between OSU/Michigan. It'll be fun to see how it all comes out.
K.Snyder

College Football '06-07

Post by K.Snyder »

NefariousSaint;455627 wrote: Good read on the replay system here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt ... &type=lgns

Rest of the season should be exciting. USC has a stacked schedule that will be rough to go undefeated thru. Florida's task is rather easy until the SEC title game. Hardest team to beat will be FSU...Oh My. Auburn's only shot I believe is if the Hogs get beat twice so the Tigers have a shot at the SEC title game against Florida. Notre Dame still has a outside chance but I can't stand them so I'd like to see them get knocked off by USC. Of course you have the big game between OSU/Michigan. It'll be fun to see how it all comes out.

Everybody knows it's either going to be Ohio State, or Michigan in the National Title gaem(unless both of them lose their games today, which would probably go down in history as the biggest upset in college football, considering who they both play). Having said that, it really only comes down to about 4-5 teams that will ultimately be decided on who will go into the National Title game as #2. Alot of people are saying Florida; alot of people are saying Texas,..I wouldn't want to see Ohio State vs Texas in the National Title game because Ohio State already beat Texas earlier this year...Bad!. Obviously with Louisville losing to Rutgers their chances are over, which alot of people wanted to see go. USC plays California, and I don't see California getting the nod if they happen to beat USC.

I think it comes down to either Auburn, Florida USC or Texas playing against Ohio State in the National Title game(God, I hate Michigan -- Go Crimson). But if I had to choose a sleeper creeping up from the shadows upon alot of top spots losing I would put my money on Arkansas.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”