Surface Pro 4

spot

Surface Pro 4

Post by spot »

Back when it was released it was completely outside of any rational budget I might choose. Even at the time I thought "More reasonable is the 256GB i5 with 8GB of RAM at £1,079, but that's still expensive once a £109 cover is included" was plain daft.

On the other hand it did look, and still looks, extremely gosh. I tracked one down on eBay over the weekend and it arrived this morning for 16% of the original asking price. It's been very carefully curated by one careful owner and the battery has had 110 cycles, so the difficult opening to replace the battery can be deferred for some years. If I ever do open it I'll put in a larger drive at the same time.

Before I install linux in place of Windows 10 Pro, I thought I'd put the supplied OS through its paces (partly to get the firmware to the latest version). The photo, off my phone, is pure Microsoft...

surface.jpg
surface.jpg (138.21 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

Take a close look like I did.

The cumulative update file. That's 111GB.

Someone should have a word with one of their chief designers, honestly.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Computers Internet”