ARM history

spot

ARM history

Post by spot »

I just red ARM creators Sophie Wilson and Steve Furber and thought it might amaze anyone who didn't know about them. Five billion ARM processors a year, that's the current production total. Who'd have thought it back then. The BBC B design team has taken over the planet.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

ARM history

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1392858 wrote: I just red ARM creators Sophie Wilson and Steve Furber and thought it might amaze anyone who didn't know about them. Five billion ARM processors a year, that's the current production total. Who'd have thought it back then. The BBC B design team has taken over the planet.

The Beeb might have been a great machine but the Archimedes was awesome.

Years ahead of of Wintel when it came out in '87 it was still a practical alternative well into this century despite very little investment - lack of marketing and sales restricted almost exclusively to the UK meant that the returns were not there for the developers when it paid them to concentrate on the embedded processors but in the end it was the embedded processors that took off and made the money.

More power to the half dozen visionaries that bucked the trend and went RISC when everyone else was moving ever more CISC.

Return to “Computers Internet”