You live and learn

Bruv

You live and learn

Post by Bruv »

I have had an old PC laying about for a while, so over the Bank holiday weekend I got it out and thought I would play about with it.

I had previously tried to install Win XP on it, but in the intervening period had got into Linux, so thought I would try that.

Any way...........

I tried with Xubuntu, and then an old CD of Ubuntu which I believed was possibly faulty, so I down loaded another version burnt it and still it wouldn't install.

Half way through installing when it came to the section to install on a partition or all the disk......nothing was showing.

I then used an Ultimate Boot disk to investigate what was wrong.....remember I know next to nothing......

So as I am exploring the possibilities of the boot disk thingy, and trying this and that, I eventually see it shows I have no Hard disk in the PC.

I had at some time took it out and never replaced it.

I didn't know the PC would do anything without a hard drive.

Don't know what I have learned except to expand my bewilderment about PC's and their workings.

Whats more I can't find the old Hard Drive now......must have put it somewhere....might even be in the PC unconnected.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Betty Boop

You live and learn

Post by Betty Boop »

Sorry I can't help you, I'm ok at doing some bits and pieces and I regularly tackle problems for friends but not that major. :wah:

Hopefully my son will live and learn too. He's downloaded a game online, rather than wait and buy it, now I can't get the laptop to do anything much at all. Can't get into the control panel, can't get near system restore, I've set the avast to scan but that seems to be doing nothing too :-5:-5

Kids!! why do they have to insist they know better than what you are telling them!
Betty Boop

You live and learn

Post by Betty Boop »

ooooh I've got it running again, at a guess he didn't complete the download as it's not there in programmes. When I went to bed last night he had set it to do something I'd never seen before, just now trying to get him to work out what he did, kept saying something about 'recycling', now I've halted that it's all back to normal.
Bruv

You live and learn

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1390993 wrote: ......................kept saying something about 'recycling'

Was it defragging ?
Betty Boop

You live and learn

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1391005 wrote: Was it defragging ?

No, but it has been this afternoon as I set it to do so. Still none the wiser what it was he set it to do. Reminds me, I should do a clean up and defrag on mine, maybe tomorrow :wah:
Betty Boop

You live and learn

Post by Betty Boop »

He's just said he 'Threw app data into the recycle bin', I asked 'Do you know what that is and if you need it?' 'No' says he, sigh, at least he's remembered what it was, now I'll have to look into it later when the little one is in bed.
Betty Boop

You live and learn

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop;1391009 wrote: He's just said he 'Threw app data into the recycle bin', I asked 'Do you know what that is and if you need it?' 'No' says he, sigh, at least he's remembered what it was, now I'll have to look into it later when the little one is in bed.

With any luck he threw what he downloaded straight into the bin :wah:
Bryn Mawr

You live and learn

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1390990 wrote: I have had an old PC laying about for a while, so over the Bank holiday weekend I got it out and thought I would play about with it.

I had previously tried to install Win XP on it, but in the intervening period had got into Linux, so thought I would try that.

Any way...........

I tried with Xubuntu, and then an old CD of Ubuntu which I believed was possibly faulty, so I down loaded another version burnt it and still it wouldn't install.

Half way through installing when it came to the section to install on a partition or all the disk......nothing was showing.

I then used an Ultimate Boot disk to investigate what was wrong.....remember I know next to nothing......

So as I am exploring the possibilities of the boot disk thingy, and trying this and that, I eventually see it shows I have no Hard disk in the PC.

I had at some time took it out and never replaced it.

I didn't know the PC would do anything without a hard drive.

Don't know what I have learned except to expand my bewilderment about PC's and their workings.

Whats more I can't find the old Hard Drive now......must have put it somewhere....might even be in the PC unconnected.

If you don't have one lying around you can pick one up for a fiver and have a spare machine.
Bruv

You live and learn

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1391024 wrote: If you don't have one lying around you can pick one up for a fiver and have a spare machine.

I am sure I will find it........................somewhere.

Return to “Computers Internet”