Installing XP Professional....or not

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Because I am such a technically efficient sort of guy (yea right) I have been given a PC to re-install XP Professional on, due to it having a virus (or so I was told)

Not wanting to muck about, I Auto Nuked it......now that takes ages and ages, never mind, knew it would be clean.

Popped the XP CD in and re-booted...................it wouldn't boot to CD.

Tried an old boot disc, and a couple of Linux distros (see I know the jargon) they all booted and would have installed......in fact I did install the latest Ubuntu , which I don't like.

To cut an extremely long story a bit shorter, I messed about with a Boot disc and think I installed something that might help......next time I booted with XP in the tray......it went through the process of installing.......until the Window Key Verification.

Despite putting in the Key from the sticker on the PC and another Key from this PC that is running Ubuntu, both bona fide as far as I know, both failed to pass the Microsoft test......so installation failed........after an hour or so going through the process.

Any suggestions ?

Don't tell me to smash the PC up with a lump hammer.....it's not mine.

If Mr Gates was in my front room right now.........03.11 am he would get some verbal I can tell you.

Sometimes I wish I didn't appear to know more than I do about bloody pooters.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

First silly question:

Did you enter the key in caps?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

No I didn't.......

It tranfers them into capitals as it happens, with no help.

Since posting I have found out what is wrong, or right if you are Bill Gates

Apparently Mr Gates sells a different version of his OS to manufacturers so they can install it wholesale.

The punter buying the PC doesn't get the original disc, only a Recovery disc that sets the whole thing back to default.

Should anything go wrong and a normal shop bought disc is used to re-load the OS there is some coding or something that stops it's use.

Wiping the Hard drive doesn't help because it is possibly on the motherboard, or in a protected partition on the hard drive.

The only way around it is to go back to the manufacturer and purchase the Recovery disc for the model you are trying to re-install on.

Boot discs boot, Linux OS boot, but Win XP (the operating system you have actually purchased) doesn't.

You can normally find some 'work around' on the net, and possibly a download.......but not for this problem.

It is not my PC so I shall try and talk them into having Ubuntu installed.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1387726 wrote: Because I am such a technically efficient sort of guy (yea right) I have been given a PC to re-install XP Professional on, due to it having a virus (or so I was told)

Not wanting to muck about, I Auto Nuked it......now that takes ages and ages, never mind, knew it would be clean.

Popped the XP CD in and re-booted...................it wouldn't boot to CD.

Tried an old boot disc, and a couple of Linux distros (see I know the jargon) they all booted and would have installed......in fact I did install the latest Ubuntu , which I don't like.

To cut an extremely long story a bit shorter, I messed about with a Boot disc and think I installed something that might help......next time I booted with XP in the tray......it went through the process of installing.......until the Window Key Verification.

Despite putting in the Key from the sticker on the PC and another Key from this PC that is running Ubuntu, both bona fide as far as I know, both failed to pass the Microsoft test......so installation failed........after an hour or so going through the process.

Any suggestions ?

Don't tell me to smash the PC up with a lump hammer.....it's not mine.

If Mr Gates was in my front room right now.........03.11 am he would get some verbal I can tell you.

Sometimes I wish I didn't appear to know more than I do about bloody pooters.

Trouble is that there are "flavours" of each of the Windoze install disks and the key will only work on the flavour it was originally issued with.

If the XP Pro was the one that cane with the machine it should be OK but, otherwise, you'll need a different release disk.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1387801 wrote: Trouble is that there are "flavours" of each of the Windoze install disks and the key will only work on the flavour it was originally issued with.

If the XP Pro was the one that cane with the machine it should be OK but, otherwise, you'll need a different release disk.

That is what I have found out Bryn.

I either have to get a possible three recovery discs from the manufacturer HP, or change the motherboard and wipe the HD.

I get the idea that pirating the software must be protected, but it should be able to recognise that I am trying to re-install the same Operating system.

I installed Lubuntu on it today, that asked if it could use the whole disk over writing XP pro or not, so why can't XP pro recognise itself ?

What possible situation could arise where re-installing XP on a machine with a corrupt XP already installed be construed as piracy ?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1387805 wrote: That is what I have found out Bryn.

I either have to get a possible three recovery discs from the manufacturer HP, or change the motherboard and wipe the HD.

I get the idea that pirating the software must be protected, but it should be able to recognise that I am trying to re-install the same Operating system.

I installed Lubuntu on it today, that asked if it could use the whole disk over writing XP pro or not, so why can't XP pro recognise itself ?

What possible situation could arise where re-installing XP on a machine with a corrupt XP already installed be construed as piracy ?

A couple of times I have 'phoned Microsoft and explained the situation (busted machine with valid key but wrong release disk) and they have given me a valid key to use as an override.

Worth a try.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1387806 wrote: A couple of times I have 'phoned Microsoft and explained the situation (busted machine with valid key but wrong release disk) and they have given me a valid key to use as an override.

Worth a try.

Right I shall have to give that a go, thank you very much.

I just searched for MS support number...............guess what it said ?

This article applies to a different operating system than the one you are using. Article content that may not be relevant to you is disabled.

I am using Ubuntu to view their site......they don't like it.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Last night tried to find Microsoft Telephone number on my Ubuntu PC, it told me as I was using another OS they couldn't show me it.

This morning doing the same thing on my Windows PC and stumbled across this link HERE

I would be interested for anyone to follow it and see where they end up.

There are buttons giving options I went XP Processional, Personal use, Contact Methods bottom button Microsoft answers...........let me know what you get.

Bryn, the telephone call I made was in the negative, they said I should contact the manufacturer
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1387825 wrote: Last night tried to find Microsoft Telephone number on my Ubuntu PC, it told me as I was using another OS they couldn't show me it.

This morning doing the same thing on my Windows PC and stumbled across this link HERE

I would be interested for anyone to follow it and see where they end up.

There are buttons giving options I went XP Processional, Personal use, Contact Methods bottom button Microsoft answers...........let me know what you get.

Bryn, the telephone call I made was in the negative, they said I should contact the manufacturer

Either I've the charm that comes from kissing the Blarney Stone or Micro$oft have become more intransigent over the years.

Obscurely, that link took me to the ?Korean? version of Micro$oft Answers
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Must admit my telephone technique is not the best, especially after the many options you get these days, I am often taken aback when a real person answers.

The web mis-link is amazing, considering the resources in techies and money they have, and wouldn't you think there would be a dedicated site ?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1387880 wrote: Must admit my telephone technique is not the best, especially after the many options you get these days, I am often taken aback when a real person answers.

The web mis-link is amazing, considering the resources in techies and money they have, and wouldn't you think there would be a dedicated site ?

I would have thought you could talk to someone without paying £45 for the privilege personally but then, I'm old fashioned that way.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1387880 wrote: Must admit my telephone technique is not the best, especially after the many options you get these days, I am often taken aback when a real person answers.

The web mis-link is amazing, considering the resources in techies and money they have, and wouldn't you think there would be a dedicated site ?Has your computer started smoking yet? If so I'd advise you prompt it to stop as soon as possible and whip it back in to the factory!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

K.Snyder;1387906 wrote: Has your computer started smoking yet?

No that is another thread.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1387912 wrote: No that is another thread.Perhaps ole puty is in denial
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

K.Snyder;1387913 wrote: Perhaps ole puty is in denial

No the PC can't be blamed in this instance, Bill Gates, Hewlett Packard, and their collusion in making more money is to blame.

If I were closer the pooter would be in de Nile, or any deep water available.

Return to “Computers Internet”