Microsoft Bob returns as Metro

spot

Post by spot »

I'm delighted to see the resurrection of the finest desktop manager Microsoft ever designed as the new front end for Windows 8, Metro.

Whatever will these clever chaps in Redmond think of next. I must rush out and upgrade at the first opportunity. Metro's blockier than Bob but that's presumably the tablet influence at work. The concepts are all intact.

Attached files
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

You were stridently aligned

You were telepathic

You had infravision

You didn't know any spells.

You vanquished a rock piercer, 2 floating eyes, 8 grid bugs and a kobold.

You never genocided any monsters

You never polymorphed an object

You used no wishes.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Man I'm so old I remember wasn't that in the mid 90's "Microsoft Bob" what a failure.. :wah::wah: Its all coming back to me now.:-6

Attached files
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Post by spot »

I've been re-reading a book I bought fresh off the press in 1995. The Mother Of All Windows Books. It's frozen a snapshot of history. Compuserve charged to send local email and read anything from the Internet at 15 cents for the first 7,500 bytes and 5 cents per additional 2,500 characters, with the first $9 covered by the standard pricing plan. If you add multiple recipients they multiply up the costs, and they recommend offline readers to cut the connection charge on your v32bis dialup. The three authors all had state of the art 486 processors and were looking forward to buying an overdrive chip - did anyone ever get that to happen? - 50MHz CPU speed and 20MB of memory because they were power users. And a UPS because they all used SmartDrive compression which couldn't cope with power outages. And this is all only 16 years ago!

My daughter's phone has 20 times the CPU speed, 50 times the memory and 50 times the on-board permanent storage and she paid $70 for it on an Orange Upgrade. In just 16 years. It's the rate of change that's such fun.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I remember it all and "Compuserve" as well. It is absolutely amazing what has happened in 16 years. I'm actually gald I was around from the beginning of the digital age I think we appreciate it more. My IPHONE is a incredible device it has given me the freedom to do anything, anytime, any where in the world with a tap or 2 on the screen bam!!! done.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1369681 wrote: You were stridently aligned

You were telepathic

You had infravision

You didn't know any spells.

You vanquished a rock piercer, 2 floating eyes, 8 grid bugs and a kobold.

You never genocided any monsters

You never polymorphed an object

You used no wishes.

Where does NetHack fit into this?

Confoosed of Leicester.
spot

Post by spot »

NetHack excretes a short poem when anyone dies, sometimes I like to record them.
koan

Post by koan »

spot;1369799 wrote: NetHack excretes a short poem when anyone dies, sometimes I like to record them.

That's 107 poems per minute. I'm impressed.

Return to “Computers Internet”