whizglobaltech

gmc

whizglobaltech

Post by gmc »

Company registered in the UK march of this year. just cold called me telling me they had noticed my computer had all sorts of problems that I might not be aware of and if i gave them access to my computer they could look at it and sort it out for me - no doubt at a cost.

Had a quick google search and they are mentioned on a couple of forums as being ever so slightly dubious. Are people really stupid enough to fall for this?
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I've had the same mate, hence my thread last week.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... sband.html

Some will fall for It I am sure.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

whizglobaltech

Post by spot »

I doubt very much whether it was anyone at or associated with whizglobaltech who called you. It may well have been a rogue who said he was calling from whizglobaltech but that's scarcely the same thing. I'm quite sure the company's never cold-called a consumer in their entire history.

I've just filled an enquiry form, I'll post their response.Does whiz globaltech or any authorised third party cold-call consumers offering computer support? Because cold calls are going to consumers from agents claiming to represent whiz globaltech. I'm wondering whether they're rogues or whether they're acting under your instruction.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

spot;1367513 wrote: I doubt very much whether it was anyone at or associated with whizglobaltech who called you. It may well have been a rogue who said he was calling from whizglobaltech but that's scarcely the same thing. I'm quite sure the company's never cold-called a consumer in their entire history.

I've just filled an enquiry form, I'll post their response.Does whiz globaltech or any authorised third party cold-call consumers offering computer support? Because cold calls are going to consumers from agents claiming to represent whiz globaltech. I'm wondering whether they're rogues or whether they're acting under your instruction.

I have been getting at least one a fortnight now. They tell you they are phoning from your server,

I will ask some questions next time we get one.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

whizglobaltech

Post by spot »

What's a server, oscar?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

spot;1367523 wrote: What's a server, oscar?

I have no Idea Spot that's why I shall pay more attention next time they phone and ask more questions. :D
spot

whizglobaltech

Post by spot »

oscar;1367527 wrote: I have no Idea Spot that's why I shall pay more attention next time they phone and ask more questions. :D

Ah. I couldn't make any sense of "They tell you they are phoning from your server", that's all.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

spot;1367528 wrote: Ah. I couldn't make any sense of "They tell you they are phoning from your server", that's all. That's what one said and I assumed he meant BT so I allowed him to continue for a while. As gmc said, they then go on to tell you that your pc Is too slow etc etc and that's the point where we get rid of them.
Ahso!

whizglobaltech

Post by Ahso! »

Y'all have some scrupulous characters over there. Here a server is a restaurant waiter.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

whizglobaltech

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1367536 wrote: Y'all have some scrupulous characters over there. Here a server is a restaurant waiter.

For the last thirty years I've used the word to mean a computer running a networked service. It's not a thing oscar is likely to have, one would hope.
gmc

whizglobaltech

Post by gmc »

spot;1367513 wrote: I doubt very much whether it was anyone at or associated with whizglobaltech who called you. It may well have been a rogue who said he was calling from whizglobaltech but that's scarcely the same thing. I'm quite sure the company's never cold-called a consumer in their entire history.

Be interesting to see, It's easy to set register a shell company and look legitimate unless you happen top know that it is easy to register a company. The chap was called Eric, there was a pause while he looked up his name. Maybe not India but definitely not in the UK. He said the same thing to me as he said to oscar - or I think he did I had difficulty understanding the accent. Maybe he meant internet provider/server.

The other one to watch out for is people carrying out consumer surveys and want details of whether you have a mortgage etc, the names are sold on to companies to use as contact lists. It;s illegal to cold call for mortgage business unless you have explicitly answered a survey expressing an interest. unfortunately that could have been twenty years ago. Same with credit card purchases or these store cards, the info on your buying habits is on sale to the highest bidder. Akll you need to do is forget to tick the box saying you don't want to receive information from other product providers just once and they have you for life.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

gmc;1367570 wrote: Be interesting to see, It's easy to set register a shell company and look legitimate unless you happen top know that it is easy to register a company. The chap was called Eric, there was a pause while he looked up his name. Maybe not India but definitely not in the UK. He said the same thing to me as he said to oscar - or I think he did I had difficulty understanding the accent. Maybe he meant internet provider/server.

The other one to watch out for is people carrying out consumer surveys and want details of whether you have a mortgage etc, the names are sold on to companies to use as contact lists. It;s illegal to cold call for mortgage business unless you have explicitly answered a survey expressing an interest. unfortunately that could have been twenty years ago. Same with credit card purchases or these store cards, the info on your buying habits is on sale to the highest bidder. Akll you need to do is forget to tick the box saying you don't want to receive information from other product providers just once and they have you for life.
I have got out of my pram of late with these people because I am on the Telephone preference service and ex directory. They get very cagey when you start asking where they are phoning from etc. When I have told them In the past that If they persist In phoning me, their company can be fined mega bucks, they Insist It's not a sales call but market research. I let one bang on for a while just to prove to him that he was ultimately trying to sell me something.
gmc

whizglobaltech

Post by gmc »

oscar;1367602 wrote: I have got out of my pram of late with these people because I am on the Telephone preference service and ex directory. They get very cagey when you start asking where they are phoning from etc. When I have told them In the past that If they persist In phoning me, their company can be fined mega bucks, they Insist It's not a sales call but market research. I let one bang on for a while just to prove to him that he was ultimately trying to sell me something.

Ask for the name of whichever company gave them your name as a contact, speak to the manager, if they are legit they should tell you without any problem as indeed they are required to do.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

gmc;1367657 wrote: Ask for the name of whichever company gave them your name as a contact, speak to the manager, if they are legit they should tell you without any problem as indeed they are required to do. I'm ready for them the next time they call.

My husband took one of the calls a few weeks back and It went:

You have a slow computer...... errr No

It's taking a long time to download..... errrr No

Your pc Is full up with virus's..... errr No It's not

OK Sir, then this call Is not for you.

But they try and tell us they are not selling.
spot

whizglobaltech

Post by spot »

I've sent a reminder:I first posted this query two days ago and I've had no response so far. I'd be grateful for an email reply, it's a serious enquiry.

Does whiz globaltech or any authorised third party cold-call consumers offering computer support? Because cold calls are going to consumers from agents claiming to represent whiz globaltech. I'm wondering whether they're rogues or whether they're acting under your instruction.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

spot;1367809 wrote: I've sent a reminder:I first posted this query two days ago and I've had no response so far. I'd be grateful for an email reply, it's a serious enquiry.

Does whiz globaltech or any authorised third party cold-call consumers offering computer support? Because cold calls are going to consumers from agents claiming to represent whiz globaltech. I'm wondering whether they're rogues or whether they're acting under your instruction. These calls are not computer support Spot, they are trying to sell you an anti virus package.
gmc

whizglobaltech

Post by gmc »

oscar;1367811 wrote: These calls are not computer support Spot, they are trying to sell you an anti virus package.

The ones that called me claimed to be in the support business.
spot

whizglobaltech

Post by spot »

oscar;1367811 wrote: These calls are not computer support Spot, they are trying to sell you an anti virus package.

The rogues aren't doing that at all, they're trying to gain access to your machine in order to plant malicious software which will then get you to pay for clean-up assistance from their company. I'm certain they have no genuine anti-virus system on offer, merely nastier turns of the screw to get more cash from you each time.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

spot;1367823 wrote: The rogues aren't doing that at all, they're trying to gain access to your machine in order to plant malicious software which will then get you to pay for clean-up assistance from their company. I'm certain they have no genuine anti-virus system on offer, merely nastier turns of the screw to get more cash from you each time. I think you're right. We have had regular calls from them but they don't get as far as gaining access because we have usually cut them off before they have got to that stage.

I am certainly going to be prepared for the next call.
spot

whizglobaltech

Post by spot »

A reply:Thank you for writing to us.

It has been brought to our attention that a lot of customers are being cold-called claiming to be from us (or from another company with similar name). Incidentally, the callers would try and take personal information over the phone. At Whiz GlobalTech, we have a strict policy whereby, we do not take any confidential information of the customers over the phone or do not store or use any such information, which is classified as confidential and personal for any purpose apart from the intended purpose of acquiring the information.

If you have been called time and again, claiming to be from one of our centers, please do validate the information by either writing to us or calling us at +44 203 514 0065.

If the next call explicitly claims to be WGT at least you have the phone number to follow up with.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

spot;1367876 wrote: A reply:Thank you for writing to us.

It has been brought to our attention that a lot of customers are being cold-called claiming to be from us (or from another company with similar name). Incidentally, the callers would try and take personal information over the phone. At Whiz GlobalTech, we have a strict policy whereby, we do not take any confidential information of the customers over the phone or do not store or use any such information, which is classified as confidential and personal for any purpose apart from the intended purpose of acquiring the information.

If you have been called time and again, claiming to be from one of our centers, please do validate the information by either writing to us or calling us at +44 203 514 0065.

If the next call explicitly claims to be WGT at least you have the phone number to follow up with. That's useful. Thank you.
Oscar Namechange

whizglobaltech

Interesting..

I have just this minute recieved another of these calls.

The usual opening line... 'How are you today Madam'?

So I Immediately asked where and for whom he was calling on behalf. There was a long awkward silence so then I asked to be passed to his manager.....

The line went dead.

It was a withheld number.

Return to “Computers Internet”