Microsoft Windows Update

spot

Microsoft Windows Update

Post by spot »

This week I took delivery of my first brand-new-out-of-the-box laptop since 1988. It has Microsoft Vista 32-bit Business Edition on it. Three days later I'm still nowhere near having all the security patches up to date.

What is it about Microsoft's systems designers that they can't even begin to acknowledge the billions of wasted man-hours which must have gone into getting new PCs secured? By comparison I know from experience that I can get from booting a Linux install DVD to having all the current security patches active in under an hour.

It can't be beyond the wit of Redmond's Finest to analyse the condition of a PC and work out the necessary patches and download them and apply them in an appropriate order without rebooting more than a couple of times until it's all finished. What they're actually doing is sheer lazy time-wasting incompetence.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Microsoft Windows Update

Post by gmc »

spot;1363562 wrote: This week I took delivery of my first brand-new-out-of-the-box laptop since 1988. It has Microsoft Vista 32-bit Business Edition on it. Three days later I'm still nowhere near having all the security patches up to date.

What is it about Microsoft's systems designers that they can't even begin to acknowledge the billions of wasted man-hours which must have gone into getting new PCs secured? By comparison I know from experience that I can get from booting a Linux install DVD to having all the current security patches active in under an hour.

It can't be beyond the wit of Redmond's Finest to analyse the condition of a PC and work out the necessary patches and download them and apply them in an appropriate order without rebooting more than a couple of times until it's all finished. What they're actually doing is sheer lazy time-wasting incompetence.

Why didn't you go for windows 7?
spot

Microsoft Windows Update

Post by spot »

gmc;1363573 wrote: Why didn't you go for windows 7?

I was buying the hardware, the Operating System was an unavoidable extra. I've left Vista with its own 35GB partition and brought it up to date but that's just for anyone I lend the machine to, I'll not be using it myself for day to day use. I've installed the current 64 bit Slackware on it.

It's a HP 6735s with 2GHz dual processor, 15.4" 1280x800 display, 2GB RAM installed out of a maximum of 8, a Lightscribe read/write DVD, fast wireless and the 3-year next-day on-site warranty. I bought it new through Amazon for £205 delivered.

If it came with Windows 7 I expect they'd have charged more.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Microsoft Windows Update

Post by gmc »

I'm going to have to buy one shortly for work. PC world are stocking lenovo think pads now, I think it was you that suggested them before. , my desktop is failing on me but I've decided i will get one built rather than buy. My old desk top I will install linux on so i can play around a bit. Tried mandrake before but gave up on it so i''m sitting with an ubuntu disk ready and waiting.

What's the AMD equivalent or thereabouts of intel I3 and I5? I As a layman it's hard to suss out if one is any better than the other - all for a laptop that will be obsolete in two or three years anyway.
spot

Microsoft Windows Update

Post by spot »

i3 5 and 7 are broad categories in themselves. The only way I can compare any of it is with a table like that on PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End
gmc

Microsoft Windows Update

Post by gmc »

spot;1363607 wrote: i3 5 and 7 are broad categories in themselves. The only way I can compare any of it is with a table like that on PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

Thanks for that,amd phenom looks good value, I think pc world has a deal with intel or something they don't seem to offer much info on amd. How good are lenovo? ever since you mentuioned them i kaap seeing them.
Bruv

Microsoft Windows Update

Post by Bruv »

Take a look online at Novatech I have found them very good service and quality.

(Hope that sort of things allowed)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “Computers Internet”