Open Office

chonsigirl

Open Office

Post by chonsigirl »

Has anyone used this program? I have some old research files I cannot open, due to their ancient programs I must have written them on. Input is appreciated.
Bryn Mawr

Open Office

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1363352 wrote: Has anyone used this program? I have some old research files I cannot open, due to their ancient programs I must have written them on. Input is appreciated.

I've used it for several years and find it as good if not better than MS Office - it being free is an added bonus.

What filetype are your files?
gmc

Open Office

Post by gmc »

I've used it for years, one big advantage is compatibility with older files. It will open old MS office documents as well as star office and open office ones. I have MS office 97 letters and spreadsheets I can open with open office. I don't actually have MS office on my computer any more - well I have MS works cos it came with the computer but I've never used it.
chonsigirl

Open Office

Post by chonsigirl »

Bryn Mawr;1363353 wrote: I've used it for several years and find it as good if not better than MS Office - it being free is an added bonus.

What filetype are your files?

They are older Excell spreadsheets and also Works.
Bryn Mawr

Open Office

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1363360 wrote: They are older Excell spreadsheets and also Works.

Then it shouldn't be a problem in OO
chonsigirl

Open Office

Post by chonsigirl »

Thanks Bryn, I will download it tomorrow and try it out.
spot

Open Office

Post by spot »

It is quite unexceptionable, chonsi.

I had several DOS Word Perfect 4.3 files to open (with 1993 datestamps) about three weeks ago and it had no problem at all displaying them the way they were intended.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Open Office

Post by YZGI »

Wow, this may help me greatly. I have some old files from MSWORKS 4.5.
YZGI

Open Office

Post by YZGI »

After downloading I have found out that Openoffice doesn't natively support MSWORKS. My luck.
gmc

Open Office

Post by gmc »

YZGI;1363395 wrote: After downloading I have found out that Openoffice doesn't natively support MSWORKS. My luck.

Try looking at the user forum. Someone there might have an answer for you.
YZGI

Open Office

Post by YZGI »

gmc;1363400 wrote: Try looking at the user forum. Someone there might have an answer for you.

Thanks, I've figured out the spreadsheets, still haven't figured out the word processor files.
Accountable

Open Office

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl;1363352 wrote: Has anyone used this program? I have some old research files I cannot open, due to their ancient programs I must have written them on. Input is appreciated.
I downloaded it and installed it on my netbook, since it doesn't have a disk drive. I love it. I'm sure you'll find yourself in familiar territory as soon as you open it. Some of the keyboard shortcuts are better than Office.

eta: I googled free microsoft works converter and found this:

http://blog.zamzar.com/2007/04/23/conve ... t-and-pdf/

I don't know how good it is, but it's free.
chonsigirl

Open Office

Post by chonsigirl »

Thanks AC, I shall look at that link.
chonsigirl

Open Office

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, it works great! This will save me so much work!
Accountable

Open Office

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl;1363510 wrote: Oh, it works great! This will save me so much work!

Open Office and the converter both worked? :-2
chonsigirl

Open Office

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, I could pull up the spreadsheets and word programs very easily. They were on old programs from '04, I don't even remember which ones-it was before I had a laptop and used the local college computers. I didn't want to spend a day or two retyping them at the archives.
Accountable

Open Office

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl;1363552 wrote: Yes, I could pull up the spreadsheets and word programs very easily. They were on old programs from '04, I don't even remember which ones-it was before I had a laptop and used the local college computers. I didn't want to spend a day or two retyping them at the archives.

Well, I'm glad it worked out okay. :)
Bryn Mawr

Open Office

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1363552 wrote: Yes, I could pull up the spreadsheets and word programs very easily. They were on old programs from '04, I don't even remember which ones-it was before I had a laptop and used the local college computers. I didn't want to spend a day or two retyping them at the archives.

Old programs - 2004 :yh_ooooo

What is the world coming to?

Return to “Computers Internet”