My computer is really slow

Delorean

Post by Delorean »

... does anyone have any tips on how I can make it faster? Apparently cleaning it out can help, I don't know a great deal about the workings of it, but I deleted all my history, cookies etc, at a friends suggestion but it didn't help. Is there anything else I can do?
spot

Post by spot »

Perhaps if we start with a description of the system. Maybe you know the following details?

Either - the model code off the backplate, so we can look up what's in it, and what operating system you have

Or -

Run Start > Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Information, and copy/paste the processor type and memory and graphics card and current operating system.

Because we can say, then, oh you need more memory or wow that graphics card is a bottleneck or ask for further information.

You might also say what antivirus package you use.

Was it fast when you bought the computer? Do you have all your personal files stored on a copy (like maybe on a memory stick) somewhere?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Could be many thing first steps are these.

1. Go to "All Programs" then "Accessories' then "System Tools" run DISK CLEANUP when the final screen shows up check every box and and apply it will remove unecessary files.

2. In the same system tools folder run "DISK DEFRAGMENT" on your machine click on the icon and select defrag this machine.

3. Run your antivirus software and check for viruses.

4. Download this software run the updates its free when its completely updated run a full scan of your machine it 'MALWAREBYTES" it removes spam etc which can be slowing up your machine. When it has completed the scan it will show results click on "SHOW RESULTS" then remove all. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

These are just maintenance steps. Then let us know what your system is excactly amount of ram etc was it fast ever ...
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Delorean

Post by Delorean »

spot;1358479 wrote: Perhaps if we start with a description of the system. Maybe you know the following details?

Either - the model code off the backplate, so we can look up what's in it, and what operating system you have

Or -

Run Start > Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Information, and copy/paste the processor type and memory and graphics card and current operating system.

Because we can say, then, oh you need more memory or wow that graphics card is a bottleneck or ask for further information.

You might also say what antivirus package you use.

Was it fast when you bought the computer? Do you have all your personal files stored on a copy (like maybe on a memory stick) somewhere?

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can find the info.

Yes, it was quite fast until about 3 or so weeks ago.

No, I don't have files stored on a copy.

I just downloaded AVG antivirus, It did have a bit of a virus but it seems to not be there now, or at least it's not doing what it was doing when it was there, so it appears to be gone. It seemed to be getting slow before the virus, so I don't reckon it was that.
Delorean

Post by Delorean »

CARLA;1358480 wrote: Could be many thing first steps are these.

1. Go to "All Programs" then "Accessories' then "System Tools" run DISK CLEANUP when the final screen shows up check every box and and apply it will remove unecessary files.

2. In the same system tools folder run "DISK DEFRAGMENT" on your machine click on the icon and select defrag this machine.

3. Run your antivirus software and check for viruses.

4. Download this software run the updates its free when its completely updated run a full scan of your machine it 'MALWAREBYTES" it removes spam etc which can be slowing up your machine. When it has completed the scan it will show results click on "SHOW RESULTS" then remove all. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

These are just maintenance steps. Then let us know what your system is excactly amount of ram etc was it fast ever ...

Thanks Carla, just trying these now.
spot

Post by spot »

Delorean;1358482 wrote: No, I don't have files stored on a copy.I could, if you feel it might help, describe the thin ice upon which you're skating if you keep photos you've taken or text you've typed on your computer, and have a desire to retain any of those files beyond tomorrow morning.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Spots right could be gone forever if you don't have a backup drive they are cheap get on the easiest one to use for not tech types is "Clickfree" it does all the work backing it up. Just back remove the drive and hide it until you feel another backup is needed. You don't want thieves to get it as they did mine and my laptop awful feeling.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Delorean

Post by Delorean »

Thanks, to you both, for your help. I've made a note to look into getting a backup drive, & I'll have a go at the other stuff later. Must be 'bout bedtime now.
spot

Post by spot »

A backup drive is far too formal but just buying and using a memory stick would make all the difference. You can get one in any Mall for $20. I own two.

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit is a useful utility. If you run it you'll have a web page with all the details we need in order to advise you on fixing your speed problem.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

If you feel really adventurous you should clean you computer. Dust and heat are its sworn enemy. Try youtube to find out how to clean your computers insides.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Thumb drive work great the biggest one I have seen is 32gig which is huge. They have been know to bend if not used correctly but are great. Yes cleaning the inside of your PC or laptop is essential. Laptops are tricky and unless you know what your doing have it done professionally.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

Post by spot »

CARLA;1358736 wrote: Thumb drive work great the biggest one I have seen is 32gig which is huge.Carla, when I say I own two, one of those is a half Gigabyte. It's amazingly useful. Everything I've written in the last year fits into 0.16% of it. It has 60 hours of high quality dictation in one corner, have you any idea how much effort goes into 60 hours of dictation? It handles all of my security issues. It's 500MB and it fits in my pocket! The complete impossibility of those words to any earlier version of myself continually strikes me whenever I even think of it. My first mainframe couldn't store that much and couldn't store it that quickly either - 12MB/minute was flat-out for a 1600bps 9 track tape drive loading data to the disk. This marvel in my pocket exceeds that speed by a factor of a hundred. The data, in both cases, is pretty much identical. How can anyone laugh at my half gig memory stick? Which was, I might add, the content of a Christmas cracker a couple of Christmases ago, though I think my daughter might have planted it there as a thoughtful present.
Delorean

Post by Delorean »

Haha, you get some pretty cool stuff in christmas crackers nowadays!

Thanks for all the advice guys, if I remember I'll pop into town tomorrow and grab a memory stick or a jump drive (apparently they're different according to the 16yo I just asked :wah: ), and they're not very expensive. There's not a great deal on here anyway, the main thing would be photos which I always back-up onto disc anyway, and I usually do a double copy and leave one with a friend. I'll back up everything before I look at a cleanout. A well-reputed joint in town has lately been advertising a clean up and speed up of computers for $99, and they have a no-fix no-pay policy. It might be better to let the professionals handle it. I thought it might be just a matter of a few simple clicks, that's why I asked about it, but now I don't think I have enough knowledge to attempt anything myself.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Space/size is important to me. I have a couple of cute little thingies that look like thumb drives. They hold MicroSD memory cards. I bought a package of 48 of the 32GB memory sticks and use them for my offsite backups of important data. They are so tiny that I can mail them using a standard postage stamp. In a pinch, I can also plug them into one of my cell phones to read the data.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm impressed Wandrin wired all the time ..!! :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

Post by spot »

Wandrin;1358777 wrote: Space/size is important to me. I have a couple of cute little thingies that look like thumb drives. They hold MicroSD memory cards. I bought a package of 48 of the 32GB memory sticks and use them for my offsite backups of important data. They are so tiny that I can mail them using a standard postage stamp. In a pinch, I can also plug them into one of my cell phones to read the data.

They're so tiny I'd have thought you could mail them *under* a standard postage stamp. The KGB would have been embarrassed at the range of things they might have done with a box of them had they existed. Several floors worth of Pentagon archive would fit onto a package of those.

umm. quickly does the sums...

200dpi b&w... umm... 16,000 reams double-sided... it's a half-mile of letter stationery with no gaps, anyway. Beats Daniel Ellsberg by some distance.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

spot;1358784 wrote: They're so tiny I'd have thought you could mail them *under* a standard postage stamp. The KGB would have been embarrassed at the range of things they might have done with a box of them had they existed. Several floors worth of Pentagon archive would fit onto a package of those.

umm. quickly does the sums...

200dpi b&w... umm... 16,000 reams double-sided... it's a half-mile of letter stationery with no gaps, anyway. Beats Daniel Ellsberg by some distance.

I have a friend who works in a secure facility. After the Wikileaks mess, the list of banned equipment now includes everything that has a significant amount of memory, including iPods and MP3players, since they could be used to smuggle data.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I would have thought this would have been address long before Wikileaks mess DUH..!! :)

I have a friend who works in a secure facility. After the Wikileaks mess, the list of banned equipment now includes everything that has a significant amount of memory, including iPods and MP3players, since they could be used to smuggle data
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

CARLA;1358802 wrote: I would have thought this would have been address long before Wikileaks mess DUH..!! :)

Before Wikileaks they were dealing with a severe security crisis. Phone calls were being made outside the facility on a non-secure line. The calls were short and happened at odd hours of the night. The FBI came in and interviewed everyone. When no one confessed, they began the polygraph tests. Then they accidentally stumbled across the evil culprit. It was a Coke vending machine calling in its inventory.:lips:
spot

Post by spot »

Wandrin;1358799 wrote: I have a friend who works in a secure facility. After the Wikileaks mess, the list of banned equipment now includes everything that has a significant amount of memory, including iPods and MP3players, since they could be used to smuggle data.

I have a solution to that.

The number of people cleared by Homeland Security and working in some capacity in the US intelligence community is now about the same as those in US jails.

They are, however, acting in an unverifiable environment.

Perhaps Homeland Security is employing entirely the wrong bunch of people, and the nature of the job is such that the prison community is ideally housed and monitored to their ideal requirements. It would take little rearrangement to fire the as-yet uncriminalized employees and take on new staff. The added bonus is that, on release, the newly-acquired job skills of the ex-detainee would go a long way to supporting him in the outside world. We may just have invented effective rehabilitation as candy on the cake.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

spot;1358807 wrote:

Perhaps Homeland Security is employing entirely the wrong bunch of people, and the nature of the job is such that the prison community is ideally housed and monitored to their ideal requirements. It would take little rearrangement to fire the as-yet uncriminalized employees and take on new staff. The added bonus is that, on release, the newly-acquired job skills of the ex-detainee would go a long way to supporting him in the outside world. We may just have invented effective rehabilitation as candy on the cake.

While I must admit that the prison population has proven the necessary degree of incompetence to qualify for employment by Homeland Security, they would have to be taught the required degree of paranoia for the job. I understand that paranoia is sometimes difficult to teach.
spot

Post by spot »

Wandrin;1358863 wrote: I understand that paranoia is sometimes difficult to teach.You've evidently not played for long enough with a battery, a transformer and a hamster.

Several hamsters, on reflection, now I think back.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

spot;1358867 wrote: You've evidently not played for long enough with a battery, a transformer and a hamster.

Several hamsters, on reflection, now I think back.

Ooooo, you were a naughty child.

Return to “Computers Internet”