Recommend a Registrar

spot

Recommend a Registrar

Post by spot »

Every time I go near Network Solutions I swear it'll be the last time. The only reason I'm still involved is that once, a long long time ago, they had a monopoly on registrations. When, I might add, they charged $120 a year for a single .com registration. I'm reasonably sure I can remember that. Then there were years at $60, currently they want $35. The reasonable going rate with registrars who aren't money-grubbing value-adders is $12.

My word they get up my nose and they always have. The money is a trivial aspect unrelated to my annoyance.

Here's what I just filled in on their "contact us" form, after 30 minutes of faffing about:Really your website gets more like commercial advertising on TV every time I see it. Life's too short.

Please send me an AUTH-ID to take the site to a more usable registrar. No I do not want to change my mind or listen to reasons why you're better than I think you are.

John.So. Where should I take it, and why?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Recommend a Registrar

Post by LarsMac »

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Recommend a Registrar

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1356763 wrote: https://www.centralnic.com/

Good lord they want $50 a year!!

What on earth do they provide to warrant that sort of mark-up?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Recommend a Registrar

Post by Bruv »

I don't know too much, but can't you go directly to Nominet for UK domains ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Recommend a Registrar

Post by spot »

Bruv;1356782 wrote: I don't know too much, but can't you go directly to Nominet for UK domains ?

Not last time I looked though it may well have changed since then. Nominet was a pig's breakfast when it started and I've not gone near it since. Neither have I ever felt much excitement at the prospect of a .uk domain name.

The one I'm transferring out of Network Solutions is a .net and it's the last of several that started out with them.
LarsMac

Recommend a Registrar

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1356781 wrote: Good lord they want $50 a year!!

What on earth do they provide to warrant that sort of mark-up?

Less annoying commercials, and autowhines?

You can alwats try Go-Daddy

http://www.godaddy.com/
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Recommend a Registrar

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1356796 wrote: Less annoying commercials, and autowhines?

You can alwats try Go-Daddy

Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy

That, I think, has a lot more going for it. Thank you.
koan

Recommend a Registrar

Post by koan »

I love bluehost.

They auto register all my domains for $10/yr each, 6 domains on my one account for really cheap and one of the domain registrations is free with the hosting account. They actually called me on a telephone when I joined. It was awesome. They're bigger and better since I joined.

Web hosting provider - Bluehost.com - domain hosting - PHP Hosting - cheap web hosting - Frontpage Hosting E-Commerce Web Hosting Bluehost
spot

Recommend a Registrar

Post by spot »

That's startlingly impressive. That's notably better than what I've got at the moment, both the hosting and the registration. Blimey. Well done , finding that.
koan

Recommend a Registrar

Post by koan »

I'm a fan for life after the welcome phone call. Don't know if they still do that but it was bloody brilliant marketing.

I always get a quick response to any problem (which is very rare) and they give you lots of notice of any potential disruptions. They only had downtime once in about six years since I signed up and it was a really bizarre system failure on multi levels that they recovered from incredibly fast, considering the circumstances. They've gotten a lot bigger since then and no problems in four years now.
Bruv

Recommend a Registrar

Post by Bruv »

I thought it was a registrar you were asking for, but it seems you are after hosting recommendations

Here is one in your backyard I believe.

Vidahost
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Recommend a Registrar

Post by spot »

Bruv;1356823 wrote: I thought it was a registrar you were asking for, but it seems you are after hosting recommendations

Here is one in your backyard I believe.

Vidahost

No no, it is a registrar and I agree Bluehost don't mention it at all on their front page, but they have a FAQ on how to buy a new domain with them and another on transferring in an existing domain and subsequently paying them the annual registration fee. What impressed me, beside their v.impressive hosting terms, is that they only want $10 a year for the registration bit.

Return to “Computers Internet”