Does AMD have a rabbit in its pocket?

spot

Post by spot »

One can only hope so, or Intel's potential monopoly will turn out to be real. The graphs on Power Consumption Results : Efficiency Comparison: Sandy Bridge Vs. Intel And AMD CPUs are horrifying for anyone who wants Intel's prices kept decent by at least one credible alternative supplier.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Stunning difference whooo!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Post by spot »

I remember the last time Intel really did have a monopoly in the PC market. I don't ever want to see it again.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

AMD has to step it up to stay in the game that's a given (buldozer) maybe AMD is still only reaching the low end of the market. Catching Intel will be difficult they put lots of $$$$ in to R&D and it pays off with processors that are just better at this time.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

spot

Post by spot »

Better maybe, but you're not going to catch me paying "$999" for a CPU to power my desktop workstation. I'm happy to part with a tenth of that.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I agree not necessary for workstations. Gamers will buy them they have a need for speed.. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Have you seen today's announcement - Windows has now been ported onto an ARM chip?

BBC News - CES 2011: Microsoft shows Windows running on Arm chips

Given that ARM chips outsell Intel already it could prove to be serious competition - and the equivalent power consumption charts would blow Intel away altogether :-)

ETA - The ARM chip has long been my favourite, a pleasure to program and far more flexible than any other I've come across.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

interesting as every mobile phone to my knowledge run on ARM CHIPS. I love good competition Intel needs someone to bring them down a notch. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

CARLA;1349843 wrote: interesting as every mobile phone to my knowledge run on ARM CHIPS. I love good competition Intel needs someone to bring them down a notch. :)

Would I run up my ARM based system and replace RiscOS with Windows? I wouldn't degrade it by trying.

Would I expect to see ARM based laptops coming onto the market running Windows? Certainly, and I'd expect battery life to be measured in days.
spot

Post by spot »

I saw a graph last night that was germane... hang on...

Nvidia forges ARM chip for PCs and servers ? Channel Register

Half way down.

That's not just "outsell".
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I just like you used "rabbit" in your thread title. :)
spot

Post by spot »

Some components last longer than others, mind. I just printed a self-test page from my printer. "Firmware Datecode 19920603". Which was the year I bought the printer. It's a Laserjet 4. I'm not sure how much longer machines will come equipped with a parallel port though.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Much to my surprise I just purchase 6 new Windows 7 machines for the office. Guess what parallel ports are being offered again YEAH..!! for the longest time you had to pay extra for them which I have. I have some Laserjet 5's in the office that are perfectly good printers for staff to use. Sure you can get a parallel USB cable but if you don't need to that's even better. Lots of good parallel printer still out there. Also they installed perfectly with windows 7 no driver issues at all.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Computers Internet”