Can I open these works files on Word?

Aura

Post by Aura »

I have Microsoft Works and would like to install word 97 to replace works. I write fiction and most of my stories are saved in the word processor of Works. Will it still be possible for me to open them in Word, or should I save them to an RTF file?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I don't think Word will open a Works file. Works will save as a Word file, though.

eta: so you decided not to go with the free Open Office?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Make choice and stick with it, you will have less problems in the long run. If you want to use word copy and paste the text into the word document and save. Works is a starter word processor switch to WORD or Open Office as ACC suggested and you will have much more options than Works could ever give you.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

If you remain with Word, you will have to pay for updates and upgrades, while all that is free with Open Office.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

With open office you can work with word documents if that is what somebody sends, you can save as a word document if you have to and also convert to PDF if you need to. You would be able to open ALL your archived word documents with Open office and save them in the most recent format or work with them in the old format. It is backward compatible. I have OO documents from eight years ago that I can access with the most recent version of open office. I also have eight year old word documents that can be accessed with Open Office. If you need something that is going to survive the test of time open office is your best bet. I used to use Lotus, it was very good as well.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

If she purchase OFFICE 2003,2007, 0r 2010 Updates are included in the cost always. If she is just purchasing WORD same applies. Her best bet would be Open Office.

If you remain with Word, you will have to pay for updates and upgrades, while all that is free with Open Office.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

There are programs specifically for writers, I used one several years ago, but forget it's name, sorry.

A quick Google turns up many free programs, might be worth a look.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “Computers Internet”