Should I switch modem off when not in use?

Aura

Post by Aura »

I have a Ethernet modem with Talk Talk, and sometimes when I switch my pc on the modem doesn't connect so I have to switch it off at the back by pressing the button, then back on again. When I have finished using the PC, should I switch the modem off all together until I need to use the net again, or leave it alone?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Leave it on always no reason to turn it off unless your having issues with it. If its not connecting when you turn your machine on regularly you might need to replace it that shouldn't happen as its a always on connection. It might also be your cable from your PC to the modem, and worse case it could be your network card.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Aura

Post by Aura »

Hi thanks for that. I switch it on and off when it happens. What's a network card?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Network card simply is where you put the Ethernet cable. They can fail and sometimes need replacement usually not the case and a cheap fix. If you use a wireless connection same principal it is a onboard card in your PC.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Aura

Post by Aura »

I'm not very technically minded. so if it went wrong could Talk Talk send me a new one?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Your modem would be replaced by the company you bought it from. The network card in your PC would have to be purchased and replace by a someone who knows how to replace/ install a new network card in your PC.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Computers Internet”