Satellite Internet

tabby

Satellite Internet

Post by tabby »

After years of slow internet connections, we're finally making the jump to satellite internet via Hughes this coming Friday. That's the day of installation and I'm soooo hopeful that it'll have been worth the wait. Living in a rural area has many advantages ... high speed internet is not one of them though.

The local telephone company who is our provider and has been for years, has talked about DSL in this part of the county for several years but nothing has come of it. Recently there were rumors that the phone company might get government stimulus money for the conversion but they were turned down.

We've waited long enough and decided about 2 weeks ago to move ahead with the installation.

Anyone else here use Hughes? Any advice? Good experiences? Bad experiences? All good, I hope!!
spot

Satellite Internet

Post by spot »

tabby;1341909 wrote: Anyone else here use Hughes? Any advice? Good experiences? Bad experiences? All good, I hope!! I've never used a satellite connection but I've used 1Mbps download speed and believe me it's a whole different world to dialup, I think you'll be delighted.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Mustang

Satellite Internet

Post by Mustang »

After it's installed and you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever moved around the net with dial up.

The only draw backs to a satellite connection is weather and tree growth blocking a clear view of the sky. Severe storms block the signal, like heavy rain or snow. Snow will accumulate on the dish sometimes, and you'll loose the signal if you don't remove it.

All in all, I think you'll be very satisfied with the service.
tabby

Satellite Internet

Post by tabby »

I was so hoping to have some good news to share this evening about my new satellite connection but alas the day didn't turn out like I expected! They sent someone to do the installation but he was only knowledgeable in installations from an outside wall, not from an inside wall. Next Thursday, they will be sending out a more experienced installer and hopefully it will go as planned.

The question of whether the installation was requested for an outside wall or inside wall never came up in the negotiations and it didn't occur to us to ask ... live and learn!
tabby

Satellite Internet

Post by tabby »

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... today was the big day and I've fallen deeply in love with my laptop alllll over again! You're right, the high speed internet is marvelous and as predicted, I don't know how I managed with just dial-up for so long. I've spent the last hour visiting sites that previously were too discouraging to view due to graphics and/or animation. And it didn't take much to fall into that category.

From the time the installers arrived til the time they left only took approximately an hour.

:-6:-6:-6
spot

Satellite Internet

Post by spot »

Well done tabby. I reckon even FG must be hard work on dial-up these days.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tabby

Satellite Internet

Post by tabby »

Yes, it is, spot and I was having to refresh each page several times before it would fully load.

Oh and now I can do some searches online this weekend for some warm socks based on the tips I received here! Thanks!
littleCJelkton

Satellite Internet

Post by littleCJelkton »

do you pay for the extended data usage My friend has Hughes net and only has a limited amount of data that can be downloaded on a like bi-weekly basis or something like that. Often my friend would download a bunch of songs he used up the data limit and had no internet for like a week when the new IP adress was leased.
tabby

Satellite Internet

Post by tabby »

LlittleCJelkton, it appears that I have a set amount of usage in a 24 hour period but it doesn't cut my access off if I exceed it or at least it hasn't happened yet.

The message received from Hughes says "Sometimes you might not realize that you’ve exceeded your Download Allowance, and your service will seem sluggish."

Sluggish? I never noticed a difference! Possibly after coming from the world of dial-up, "high-speed sluggish" is still better than what I had prior!

Return to “Computers Internet”