What Linux looks like this month

spot

Post by spot »

Well, on this laptop anyhow. I thought I'd put a screen capture into a thread. I have it in mind that there's a lot of timidity about giving Linux a try and that a thread talking through the pros and cons might stiffen the occasional sinew.

Laptop Screen shared on ZimageZ by spot - click on the desktop image to see it full sized.

Just as with Microsoft operating systems the layout can be personalized, and has been. I've got my task bar at the top, for example. I've used icons rather than buttons, to save space being as it's a laptop and screen real estate is at a premium. Top left, first button, that blue X is the nearest I get to a Start button, all of the program and system menu is under there. The next buttons as far as the separator is my Quick Launch programs, click and they run. After the separator is the running programs. To the right there's the systems tray, four workspace menus (only one of which has anything in it) and the time. And a screen lock and logout button.

The running programs are, from left to right, Firefox, Skype, a system monitor (that's the graphs in the on-top window), a programming editor, IRC client logged into a couple of Freenode channels, a mind map, OpenOffice Writer and a screenplay editor.

The memory and swap history (middle graph) shows that it's all running in less than a half a Gigabyte of memory with no swap space called for. What's not obvious from the screen is that Apache and Mysql are running in the background as well. The laptop has 1GB, 128MB is used for the screen and the reason this laptop isn't running Vista any longer (despite the validation sticker on the back) is that 1GB is quite simply inadequate to run programs under Vista. Even getting Vista running is a sad reflection on the last few years at Redmond. Double the memory and fine but this machine was sold with just the one and it thrashed.

Oh - a final bit using the memory which I even forgot about until now, the hard drive's completely software-encrypted on the fly. When the laptop's powered on or restored from hibernate/sleep it needs a password before it or anyone else can make sense of the disk.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm impressed very nice indeed. I have LINUX on one server at work that runs our VOIP software, I'm finding it simple and fast I like it alot. :-6 No way you could this out of any MICROSOFT operating system.

[QUOTE]

The memory and swap history (middle graph) shows that it's all running in less than a half a Gigabyte of memory with no swap space called for. What's not obvious from the screen is that Apache and Mysql are running in the background as well. The laptop has 1GB, 128MB

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Sorry to intrude.......two super nerds talking.....(I'm joking)

I am a wannabe rebel, since getting my first PC ( I was late to the game,) about ten years ago, I have looked at Linux and wanted it.

I first tried it many moons ago (forgotten what right now) (Mandrake) and just couldn't cope.

Later tried some disc type versions (that is how technical I am) and liked what I saw.

Loaded Ubuntu dual boot not too long ago and it was good, no , very good.

Boot up almost instantly.....comparatively...............luvved it.

Everything worked beautifully, internet,word processor, image thingies....updates as and when......................marvelous.

But whatever I tried my printer would NOT work.

Tried every solution I could find......it was a known problem Brother super dooper do everything printer.

So whatever I did I had to swop to Windows to print, with all that entails.

So a few months ago.....I reverted...........went back totally to XP

I still hunker after the wind beneath my wings........

But if I cannot print.....
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

What's the printer model?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1298228 wrote: What's the printer model?
See what I mean technicalities technicalities.....

It's a Brother DCP-340CW USB printer...........have they found the fix ?

I did try the strangely named CUPS or something.....I am far too old for this.

But seriously that is my only problem with Linux.
spot

Post by spot »

I expect you could be talked through it here if you ever decide to take another shot at it.

OpenPrinting User Forums :: Printers from Brother :: Install BROTHER DCP-340CW : it works on FC5 makes encouraging noises.
Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

Bruv;1298226 wrote:

But if I cannot print.....

I had that problem too when I first started linux about 4 years ago because I had an unsupported Lexmark printer. Know what I did? Went out and bought an HP. HP has hands down, the best printer support for linux. It was plug and play in ubuntu.

But, back to the original spirit of the thread. I now use linux almost exclusively (I keep XP around for 1 game I can't live without) and would not even consider going back to windows. The freedom of being able to do what I want with my computer is priceless.

Once people get past that windows mindset and are receptive to something new, the sky is the limit. Linux allows people to actually have fun with their computers, and OWN their OS, unlike microsoft products. I just buy linux compatible hardware, and I'm happy as a pig in poop.

Attached is a screenshot of what most people would believe to be a Mac desktop. It's not, it's linux. You can make it look like whatever you want. I like that freedom, plus, I don't have to lease my operating system.

Attached files
Open Source/Open Mind
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

You smooth talking bugger you.

I did research and try similar solutions, but as I did not really grasp what I was actually doing, and could only .....print out....instructions to follow slavishly, I got very.... shall I say perplexed ?

I share the PC with other less advanced users, yes I said less advanced, who would not try any other system.

Thanks for the information, I shall investigate further and may plunge in again.

Even my limited time using (sounds like an addiction) there were things that improved dramatically, or possibly my ability to understand how to implement them.

You have stirred me.........let me ponder some more
Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

I found the driver for the Brother DCP-340CW printer. According to the Brother website, you need the driver for the MFC-210C. Here it is. (only Debs and RPM's though) Which would cover Debian, Ubuntu, Mint,(debs) Fedora, Mandriva, Opensuse,(rpm's) .
Open Source/Open Mind
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Tuxr99;1298245 wrote: I found the driver for the Brother DCP-340CW printer. According to the Brother website, you need the driver for the MFC-210C. Here it is. (only Debs and RPM's though) Which would cover Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Mandriva, Opensuse, etc.

I think you have found my frustration.

I found the solution and went through the process several times before calling it a day.

It was beyond my abilities...............but.....with the passage of time, who knows?

I may give it another whirl, when I drum up the courage. It can be a daunting task...for us non techies.
Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

Bruv;1298249 wrote: I think you have found my frustration.

I found the solution and went through the process several times before calling it a day.

It was beyond my abilities...............but.....with the passage of time, who knows?

I may give it another whirl, when I drum up the courage. It can be a daunting task...for us non techies.

Or just buy an HP? As far as other people that use your computer, you could set up a dual boot to satisfy your inner geek, and still maintain peace within your circle of people. Whatever you decide, check out help in the appropriate forums, or come back here and I will be more than happy to help you.
Open Source/Open Mind
Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

@Spot: what distro are you running?
Open Source/Open Mind
spot

Post by spot »

That's Slackware Stable 13.0, full install, updated but without touching -current. The Windows Manager is xfce4. Most of the extras have come from slackbuilds.org but I compiled a few bits where I needed to. I've never been particularly excited by KDE and their inclusion of "The Social Semantic Desktop" components pushed me into switching - I've quite liked fluxbox in the past, this is my first time exploring xfce and it seems to behave once I worked out how to manipulate the panel adequately. Back in the late 90s I knew Redhat superficially, Slackware's where I've learned how to keep it tight and use the tools.

Keeping up to date on Ubuntu and the various Redmond products mostly involves VMware these days where I can keep it caged. I put them there to learn, not to use.
Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

spot;1298262 wrote:

Keeping up to date on Ubuntu and the various Redmond products mostly involves VMware these days where I can keep it caged. I put them there to learn, not to use.

It's cool that your into slack and every thing and I completely respect it, but I'm an Apt person all the way. I know debian very well. In the end, it's all what you're used to.
Open Source/Open Mind
spot

Post by spot »

There aren't that many Linux master systems and Debian's the most widespread of them for laptops, desktops and workstations. I tend to think of the Slackware lines as open walking country with Debian-derived systems as the rainforest. Perhaps Redhat and SUSE rule at enterprise levels I never work at. There's maybe fifteen other current major independent Linux lines, I've not had experience of any except Puppy (a vital tool sometimes) and Gentoo (an object lesson in catastrophic team management). Sorceror and Rastaware seem completely exotic.

I'm not sure I could be accused of knowing any operating system very well though.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) via Wubi. Like it lots and am looking forward to the next iteration due the end of April.

My printer is a Dell (as in Lexmark) AIO Photo 926. Won't work at all with Linux (and won't work most of the time with Vista either, but it does hold down papers quite well). My research indicates that Lexmark printers are notorious for not getting along with Linux.

If 10.4 (Lucid Lynx) is all that it's hoped it will be, I'll install it on it's very own partition.

Attached files
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Wubi, tell me more.

By installing wubi , you can use Ubuntu without partitioning ?

Just like using a live cd version ?
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

Bruv;1298333 wrote: Wubi, tell me more.

By installing wubi , you can use Ubuntu without partitioning ?

Just like using a live cd version ?

Indeed, and in fact unless it's been changed recently, one is able to install Ubuntu with Wubi directly from the live CD. Very simple and quick. :-6

Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

The Rob;1298327 wrote: I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) via Wubi. Like it lots and am looking forward to the next iteration due the end of April.

My printer is a Dell (as in Lexmark) AIO Photo 926. Won't work at all with Linux (and won't work most of the time with Vista either, but it does hold down papers quite well). My research indicates that Lexmark printers are notorious for not getting along with Linux.

If 10.4 (Lucid Lynx) is all that it's hoped it will be, I'll install it on it's very own partition.

The bottom line is, get linux compatible hardware if you want to use linux. Mac people do it. Buy HP printers, and you'll be fine as far as that goes. Just do some research and linux can actually be a smooth experience. It's just too bad that people have these "made for windows" computers, then complain. I know it's not always easy for someone who doesn't do pc's for a living, but take some time to learn, and you'll be much happier.
Open Source/Open Mind
Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

The Rob;1298334 wrote: Indeed, and in fact unless it's been changed recently, one is able to install Ubuntu with Wubi directly from the live CD. Very simple and quick. :-6

No offense to your love of wubi, but it's like kissing your sister. Yeah, you've kissed someone, but...... I always steer my clients towards dual boot. It's easy, and ubuntu is actually installed instead of being put into windows back pocket.

But to do that, one must know how to do it.
Open Source/Open Mind
spot

Post by spot »

Tuxr99;1299077 wrote: No offense to your love of wubi, but it's like kissing your sister. Yeah, you've kissed someone, but...... I always steer my clients towards dual boot. It's easy, and ubuntu is actually installed instead of being put into windows back pocket. What aspect of wubi do you dislike, if you're comparing it to a dual boot configuration? Once it's installed and the system's booted into the linux component I'd be hard pressed to find any way of distinguishing that I was in a wubi setup compared to an all-linux computer. What test could you perform that would indicate that you were sat on a wubi drive rather than a traditional partition? What process would be running which behaved differently than on a full linux install?
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

spot;1299122 wrote: What aspect of wubi do you dislike, if you're comparing it to a dual boot configuration? Once it's installed and the system's booted into the linux component I'd be hard pressed to find any way of distinguishing that I was in a wubi setup compared to an all-linux computer. What test could you perform that would indicate that you were sat on a wubi drive rather than a traditional partition? What process would be running which behaved differently than on a full linux install?

I would be interested to know this as well. I've read of the slight performance lag inherent in the process (although I've not noticed it myself), and that hibernation is an issue (but not for me, since I don't bother with it). I do know that it boots and shuts down faster than Vista and has no trouble finding my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard whereas Vista has to be reminded quite often that they exist (and I state this as someone who actually gets along just fine with Vista otherwise, having done the necessary research upon purchasing the new machine to ensure a smooth relationship).

Don't misconstrue the above as picking a bone; I'm pretty much a Linux n00b. I use Ubuntu almost exclusively when I don't have to use the printer or want to play one of my games, but I don't speak Linux as yet.

spot

Post by spot »

I found this, wandering around. It knows a lot more than I can remember about distro history.

http://futurist.se/gldt/gldt1003.png

It's an impressive collating of information. I'd like to see it with version numbers on but I can't find anything like that.

I'm happy to say I used a very small proportion of what's shown.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

OK then I shall go for it.....

One final question before I 'go for' wubi.

How does it affect two user accounts, because as much as I will use it, my wife will be lost in anything other than Windows.

Can you set it to default log in to windows just for her, as she boots up and goes off to make a cup of tea ?
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

Bruv;1299595 wrote: OK then I shall go for it.....

One final question before I 'go for' wubi.

How does it affect two user accounts, because as much as I will use it, my wife will be lost in anything other than Windows.

Can you set it to default log in to windows just for her, as she boots up and goes off to make a cup of tea ?

The boot loader (GRUB, for GRand Unified Bootloader) allows you to select which OS you prefer at start-up.

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Next time we speak it could be from Ubuntu.......wish me luck.
spot

Post by spot »

Where are you - you've been gone nearly three hours. We'll be sending out search parties at this rate!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

To be honest this is still in XP.......but only because the missus was on the PC.

I did do it.

I went for Kubuntu.......silly me.

I have used Ubuntu before, but got confused.....it's my age.

Anyway.......all went well, until it rebooted, then I realised it was Kubuntu that I was unfamiliar with, and had tried it long ago, before I was as clever as I am now (Yea right)

So I un installed Kubuntu and installed Ubuntu.

They are clever these techies, no problems with partitioning, worrying whether I have made the partition big enough etc.etc.

Just click on Wubi and thats it, now I can choose either XP or Ubuntu when boot up come around.

All I have to do now is reacquaint myself with the differences between Windows and Linux......and try and get my printer working.

I only spent a short time in it, Ubunti I mean, and it does seem slower than it was as a proper repartition jobby.

But that was a quick session......maybe my expectations were too high.

I shall be returning later to give it a full appraisal.
spot

Post by spot »

Congratulations. The only bit I can think might have slowed is the disk access, you can check that by timing a big file copy in Ubuntu and comparing its top speed with what you get on the same machine in XP. I don't know what the answer would be.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am back in Windows XP.

Something was wrong with the Ubuntu installation, don't know what, it just didn't feel right, a bit sluggish to how I remember it as a dual boot.

When visiting here FG, I was prompted to install add-ons as I logged on.

The installation stalled and it told me something was wrong with dpkg, I went to update, and that hung too.

I re-booted and tried a repair, or something, from the options, that went well until it had finished, when I couldn't exit, not understanding commands.

It asked for login, then password, I gave the password used when setting up the wubi install, it wouldn't accept it.

I re-started PC and opted for Ubuntu, but it was not having it, it would not load. I am a complete techno numpty, so when in trouble need to have some references to go on, so normally I research then print instructions to follow.

This was not an option this time.

This time around I have installed and un-installed Kubuntu, then installed and tried to update Ubuntu that was sluggish to start with, so un-installed then re-installed, but with the same results.

Now I have the option at boot to choose Ubuntu, but know it is not on my PC.

One day I will try again, but with these sort of things I need to get all the information around me on a printed page, and have the time and mood to tackle them in the right frame of mind.

Next time it will be dual boot, because as clever as it may be, I cannot see how running another OS from within Windows can be as affective as dual booting........and it is too big a leap to go all out and use Linux alone.........especially with the printer issues......I forgot that.
spot

Post by spot »

That's an aspect of problems, once they start to cascade the whole thing reaches a point where it can't be recovered. I can't think of any occasion where I've started an install either of a Microsoft operating system or of Linux on a machine I've never seen before, right back to the days of DOS, where I've not done the whole thing three times from scratch at least. Usually I've discovered enough by the third try to get it the way I'd like it.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

Just because something is popular and regaled web-wide for it's ease of use doesn't mean that it won't explode in your face. I have a friend to whom I recommended Ubuntu, and right off the bat he had issues with his wireless connection. Others have reported problems with sound and/or video.

When faced with a seemingly unworkable program (or whatever) I often just start from scratch and do everything all over again. Against all odds, sometimes it works.

Good luck!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

As mentioned earlier I think, I had dual booted Ubuntu before and the only reason I stopped was the printer problem.

I had researched it and thought about it for ages, had tried a live cd before the main event of actually installing it.

When I finally did I was truly amazed at the way it found and set up everything, apart from the printer.

I almost leapt on the 'easy' method of wubi install thinking it would be less stressful than partitioning etc. and just as affective, it could have been me, so I may try again after some more research.

At the moment I am still holding an inquest in my mind about what happened, I never remember the terms and techie shorthand or understand what I am actually doing, the fear is always there that all will be lost.

I suspect next time it will be a dual boot.......when I have recovered from this episode.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

Bruv;1299979 wrote: ...the fear is always there that all will be lost.

I suspect next time it will be a dual boot.......when I have recovered from this episode.

That's where I get stuck. I'm fearful of doing the dual-boot/separate partition thing because I would want to do a /home partition as well but don't quite yet have the guts to follow through. :rolleyes:

Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

The Rob;1299984 wrote: That's where I get stuck. I'm fearful of doing the dual-boot/separate partition thing because I would want to do a /home partition as well but don't quite yet have the guts to follow through. :rolleyes:

There's no magic or voodoo involved, just create a / partition, a /home partition, and a swap partition. If you backup your stuff, (which you should be doing anyway) you can't lose anything by trying.

I'm amazed by how many people are "afraid" of linux as if it were the big bad wolf or something. Just take time to research and study, and you'll be OK. With me, I wanted to leave Microsoft so badly, it came easy to me. Now, I feel more comfortable in linux than windows. Mind you, I have a PC repair business and know windows very well, but I don't enjoy using it anymore.

If I could come over your house, I would gladly "hook you up" and give some pointers, but that's not likely. I guess I forget sometimes that most people aren't geeks, and are "afraid" of doing something new. Me? I'm not afraid to try anything as far as computers go. I keep all my valuable data on separate drives. What's the worst that can happen? Reinstall? No biggie.

@The Rob

If you get a separate hard drive for linux, and unplug your windows drive while linux is installing, there's nothing you can lose. Then plug both back in and choose which one to boot during startup. Easy. I did this method early on to ease my nerves. (actually, I wasn't too worried about it) Oh, and you can just choose "use whole drive" during the linux setup. Easy. See? No reason to be nervous.
Open Source/Open Mind
gmc

Post by gmc »

Tuxr99;1300768 wrote: There's no magic or voodoo involved, just create a / partition, a /home partition, and a swap partition. If you backup your stuff, (which you should be doing anyway) you can't lose anything by trying.

I'm amazed by how many people are "afraid" of linux as if it were the big bad wolf or something. Just take time to research and study, and you'll be OK. With me, I wanted to leave Microsoft so badly, it came easy to me. Now, I feel more comfortable in linux than windows. Mind you, I have a PC repair business and know windows very well, but I don't enjoy using it anymore.

If I could come over your house, I would gladly "hook you up" and give some pointers, but that's not likely. I guess I forget sometimes that most people aren't geeks, and are "afraid" of doing something new. Me? I'm not afraid to try anything as far as computers go. I keep all my valuable data on separate drives. What's the worst that can happen? Reinstall? No biggie.

@The Rob

If you get a separate hard drive for linux, and unplug your windows drive while linux is installing, there's nothing you can lose. Then plug both back in and choose which one to boot during startup. Easy. I did this method early on to ease my nerves. (actually, I wasn't too worried about it) Oh, and you can just choose "use whole drive" during the linux setup. Easy. See? No reason to be nervous.

Speak for yourself, if you don't lnow what you are doing it might as well bee voodoo. Biggest problem I found with linux was getting documentation for it that you could refer to when things went wrong. Mandrake linux is the only one I've really tried but discovered my printers wouldn't work, tried suse as well but if you don't have the time to play around it is a bit daunting. I've got an old computer

I might try with. Reading this thread gives me the notion - at least I might be able to get help with it from you guys. Some if the forums all you get is RTFM which is great if you get the thing working in the first place. I was thinking i might try one of the distribution you get given away with the magazines, what do you reckon?
spot

Post by spot »

All the major free ones get onto a Linux magazine free DVD at some stage, it's a good way of getting one if you take pot luck.

Do you have a CD or DVD drive that will write as well as read? It only takes a short while to download an image file (usually called a .iso) and you can burn it as a disk image to a blank CD or DVD. The DVD version usually has the full release, the CD will often install and then download all the remaining components.

To be practical you'd not want to install on less than, say, a 10GB disk drive. 10 is easily enough to try any of them out. 5 would probably do if that's all you have. Smaller is problematic.

Ubuntu and Mint are far and away the easiest installs I've tried but there's lots of simple starts if you want to discuss equivalents.
Tuxr99

Post by Tuxr99 »

spot;1300896 wrote:

Ubuntu and Mint are far and away the easiest installs I've tried but there's lots of simple starts if you want to discuss equivalents.

I agree. Mint is probably the easiest OS in the world to get going. All codecs, flash, and java are included. You don't need to do much except click the install button.
Open Source/Open Mind
gmc

Post by gmc »

Tuxr99;1300918 wrote: I agree. Mint is probably the easiest OS in the world to get going. All codecs, flash, and java are included. You don't need to do much except click the install button.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the. Might be a while before I get round to trying it though as I've got a lot on at the moment. I use open office and the like ans really the only thing stopping me is I need windows for work. My scanner is a lexmark which, it seems, is one of the makes that isn't compatible with linux
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It's not quite the same but you can try a live disc version of some Linux OS's.

Just boot with it's disc in your drive, and it gives you the Operating system to try, and it's not installed unless you want it to be.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yesterday I bought a disk to install Ubuntu on it now I am just waiting for my DVD which I should get tomorrow.

After one month of blood sweat and tears of trying to make Windows 7 talk to my modem and printer, also to make PDF and my bookkeeping package work, I am officially throwing in the towel.

That is it! I am migrating and I will try my darn est to make the transition work. Hold thumbs for me.
spot

Post by spot »

Dixie;1309795 wrote: Yesterday I bought a disk to install Ubuntu on it now I am just waiting for my DVD which I should get tomorrow.

After one month of blood sweat and tears of trying to make Windows 7 talk to my modem and printer, also to make PDF and my bookkeeping package work, I am officially throwing in the towel.

That is it! I am migrating and I will try my darn est to make the transition work. Hold thumbs for me.

The bookkeeping package sounds as though it's an essential. Most Windows programs will work on Linux under a package called Wine (which is labeled the Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer) but it might help if we check before you get wildly frustrated. If you tell us the computer Model code from the back of the machine, and how much memory you've got installed on it, and the model of the printer and the name of the bookkeeping package, we might be able to handhold you for your first steps or alternatively tell you why Windows 7 is giving you such grief.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Most of the components of my "box" has been changed in time so the sticker probably will not be accurate. I now am running a Intel(R) Pentium 4 3.4GHz with 3.GB RAM on a 32bit operating system. I have just installed a Seagate 320 Gig hard drive to install Ubuntu on.

You are right my main concern is the bookkeeping package not working and Microsoft Publisher that will not print.

The bookkeeping package is an ancient system still written in Visual basic 3.1 on a 16 bit system. It is called Pastel 5.2. I know it is old but that is what our auditors use and if at all, I would like to keep it. My son is a bit of a Linux geek and he is in the process of trying to "Wine" the package for me.

My printer is a HP Color LaserJet CP1515n. Now last I looked, for this printer, HP has not written a driver for Windows7, and suggested this "universal driver" It works fine for most, also for Excel and Word, but alas not for Publisher. It seems like Microsoft did not change Publisher at all, it still looks the same. Also, it does not "see" any printer. To make Publisher "acknowledge" the printers, crazy as it sounds, one needs to change the default printer and viola! But even after forcing the printers to be "available", Publisher still just neatly dies instead of printing to my HP with this makeshift driver. Needless to say, no thanks, there should be no need to struggle like this.

I also saw Scribus and I think I will achieve a much sharper and more polished publications using Scribus. I am aware that there is a learning curve, but heck as long as it produces something one can read without a screen, I am already showing progress. I know there is a Windows Scribus, but I think I would like to use it with Linux, my gut tells me it will work better that way.

Thanks so much for your offer to help me, I am sure I will be calling for help real soon. BTW is there a "Introduction to Ubuntu" type doc that I can read?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Publisher is a resourse hog it bogs down the best of printers just loading the document, and changes the look of the output in many cases. Might I suggest you convert the document you want to print into a PDF or JPG flie much, smaller, and should print just fine. In most cases its not the printer its Publisher it great for creating, but awful to print from. Your machine has enough RAM, it is a P4 slower so just loading the Publisher document to printer could slow everything down..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

spot

Post by spot »

Dixie;1309837 wrote: The bookkeeping package is an ancient system still written in Visual basic 3.1 on a 16 bit system. It is called Pastel 5.2. I know it is old but that is what our auditors use and if at all, I would like to keep it. My son is a bit of a Linux geek and he is in the process of trying to "Wine" the package for me.

A note to your son then.

The machine has a valid XP licence, I take it you still have access to the install CD. Sun's VirtualBox will let you install that XP as just another application on the Ubuntu installation (*not* a multiboot environment, it's just another normal window running under Ubuntu). If Wine fails to easily run the bookkeeping then it will definitely run inside the VirtualBox and still give access to the printer. If you find yourself fighting to put the Visual Basic runtimes and (maybe) CAB unpacking under Wine then the VirtualBox + XP is just a couple of hours to install (though you could still wait for days while the security packs dribble in!). All you'll need to install inside it is the required program and current data. You can secure it from the internet by disabling internet access from within the XP window in which case the security packs are immaterial.
spot

Post by spot »

CARLA;1309838 wrote: Might I suggest you convert the document you want to print into a PDF
It's a good workaround, putting a PDF printer driver onto the system and printing directly to it, there are very lightweight usable free open source alternatives. Once the output has been directed to a PDF file on disk, physically printing it with Acrobat (or, for preference, Foxit) is simple.
spot

Post by spot »

Dixie;1309837 wrote: is there a "Introduction to Ubuntu" type doc that I can read?

Beginner | Ubuntu Tutorials might be a place to start tinkering once it's installed. The rightmost column has categories of possible interest.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/newtoubuntu/C/index.html is the official starting point for the user walkthrough.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Thanks Carla, I tried it and it actually works! I will use this feature until I have moved to Scribus. Yeah! now I can print without transporting the publisher document to my laptop!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Cool ... love it when it works.. Publisher is great for creating stuff, but awful to print from, files are to large and take way to long to load to print.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Also thank you Spot. My son read, nodded and said "virtual machine it is then":). I will head straight to those links and see what I can learn.

Return to “Computers Internet”