Chromebook and Cloud Computing

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Has anyone been reading about these new Netbooks with Google's OS?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1359393 wrote: Has anyone been reading about these new Netbooks with Google's OS?

Looks interesting but the glowing reports of the ad are let down by the disclaimer at the end - everything is superfast and the cloud is wonderful (but it all depends on how good your ISP is). Get a bad connection and you're left crawling.

I'd like to play with one before I'd consider buying one.
spot

Post by spot »

What deters me is my perception that it's difficult to search (as opposed to browse) for an app. I'm used to asking what's available to perform a specific function and choosing from the available packages. I'm also used to compiling whatever's not available in order to add it to my options.

I've looked over the app store. I found no search filters at all. I found browsing categories. I am not a ruminant.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I think Google learned from their experience with the Android app market. They have made some significant improvements there, but some of the third party market systems are still better. I expect to see third party market sites for Chrome and HTML5 apps soon.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I think it's pretty interesting, and they make some good arguments towards killing the standard pc.

I have been using google's apps more, and it's very convenient to have data on the web, rather than on disk. I can access google docs anywhere, and already like it more than open office (for simple things at least).

The only downside IMO is I've seen a couple issues with my gmail, and I've reported them. When google's apps work they are great. If not, you may get crickets for tech support. :)
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

yaaarrrgg;1359416 wrote: I think it's pretty interesting, and they make some good arguments towards killing the standard pc.

I have been using google's apps more, and it's very convenient to have data on the web, rather than on disk. I can access google docs anywhere, and already like it more than open office (for simple things at least).

The only downside IMO is I've seen a couple with my gmail, and I've reported them. When google's apps work they are great. If not, you may get crickets for tech support. :)You've changed your mind. How dare you be so flexible.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

The computer itself is sleek too: no "F" keys or caps-lock key and none of those Windows keys either. Just simple. I like the idea.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Ahso!;1359420 wrote: You've changed your mind. How dare you be so flexible.

Yeah, I didn't like the idea of cloud storage initially. Though in reflecting, I've lost more data to a hard drive failing than I ever have through a internet server going down. :)
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I was plying around with Google docs today. Everything renders quite fast. I had forgotten about some stuff I created about a year or so ago in Google and they were still there unadulterated.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I'll tell you how I'll decide whether I like it. The same way I do with every program I evaluate. I keep my hand off the mouse and see what the program (or app) will do for me just using the keyboard. If it's easy to navigate and takes close to the optimum keystrokes for the task then fine, I like it. Of the ChromeBook I have my doubts, prejudging matters. Though you'd think they put a lot of work into accessibility issues so maybe I'm wrong.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I've read it's very "keystroke" friendly.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1359437 wrote: I've read it's very "keystroke" friendly.

One day a month I put my mouse into a drawer in another room, and discover if there's any programs I'm uncomfortable with. I've been doing that since I got my first mouse. I think it's essential.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

yaaarrrgg;1359424 wrote: Yeah, I didn't like the idea of cloud storage initially. Though in reflecting, I've lost more data to a hard drive failing than I ever have through a internet server going down. :)

So what is the advantage to cloud computing forcing your documents into the aether over you choosing to save your documents to a raid array on the net?

One for me (local) and one for security (remote) and if you've lost data to a hard drive failing then it's your own lack of backup rather than the computer that's to blame :p
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Bryn Mawr;1359452 wrote: So what is the advantage to cloud computing forcing your documents into the aether over you choosing to save your documents to a raid array on the net?

One for me (local) and one for security (remote) and if you've lost data to a hard drive failing then it's your own lack of backup rather than the computer that's to blame :p

I've been using cloud servers now (through rackspace) and have been pretty impressed with them. It feels just like a linux box, but the machine is completely virtual. If the cloud is merely used for storage of files, there's not a whole lot of benefit, but it can also be used to push the entire system off a physical device. That gets you out of the "hardware" business completely. Break the netbook and get another one, and you've still got the same computer. Someone steals the computer, they don't steal your files. The physical components then become much like the operating system, a replaceable abstraction layer.

Initially I was pretty critical of all the "cloud" hype because it's nothing new. I didn't like the business side of it, and how it was presented. Years ago, of course, there was typically one giant computer and the clients were "thin," not much more than a tv and keyboard. Then the pc came along and shifted the processing to the local device, and almost killed the mainframe. Cloud computing is actually very old school... now the pendulum is just swinging back towards mainframes.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

One of the lessons learned from the proliferation of smartphones and tablets is that there are times when the cloud is unavailable, due to network connections or server problems such as the recent Amazon fiasco. The apps have changed to allow local copies of documents and to select websites to download for out of network browsing. It will be interesting to see how the Chrome apps mature.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

yaaarrrgg;1359467 wrote:

Then the pc came along and shifted the processing to the local device, and almost killed the mainframe. Cloud computing is actually very old school... now the pendulum is just swinging back towards mainframes.

Most R&D $ are being spent in developing cloud computing.. it will be the next generation tech
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mikeinie;1359484 wrote: Most R&D $ are being spent in developing cloud computing.. it will be the next generation tech

Coming from an industry where we have to prove the physical security of the buildings housing our computers before we are allowed to process and data security is key to all of our hardware implementations my main concerns over cloud computing would be security.

Given that we are also reliant on non-stop hardware I would also be concerned about having guaranteed access to the data at all times.

The idea is pretty and it will make a good income stream for the server farms but I don't see it as the panacea it's being touted as.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

With cloud computing, in addition to the security of the servers (and offsite backup facilities), there is also the matter of the security of the stream. Assuming that the stream is properly encrypted, the data would still be at risk if there is any local storage of account access info and passwords. It will be interesting to see how the initial breeches are handled.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Wandrin;1359565 wrote: With cloud computing, in addition to the security of the servers (and offsite backup facilities), there is also the matter of the security of the stream. Assuming that the stream is properly encrypted, the data would still be at risk if there is any local storage of account access info and passwords. It will be interesting to see how the initial breeches are handled.

Interesting indeed but it is a set of assumptions that cannot be made when the owner of the data is responsible in law for the security of the data regardless of who is holding it - and the regulator can insist on inspecting any and all sites where data is help or processing takes place to ensure that security.

I cannot see how any commercial outfit with an eye to data security can accept the risk.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

The weakest point of google's cloud book IMO is it's priced at $499 (at least the ones I've seen), which is on the high end of net books. They need to pull the price down a bit I think. $299 would make more sense. Otherwise they are creeping into the desktop and low-end laptop territory, which I think, can use all the same Google apps.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

yaaarrrgg;1359641 wrote: The weakest point of google's cloud book IMO is it's priced at $499 (at least the ones I've seen), which is on the high end of net books. They need to pull the price down a bit I think. $299 would make more sense. Otherwise they are creeping into the desktop and low-end laptop territory, which I think, can use all the same Google apps.

That price also puts it in competition with the tablets, some of which have optional keyboards as part of the case. None that I have seen thus far allows for more than one memory stick to be added, which high end customers seem to want.
spot

Post by spot »

With all these devices my primary evaluation is whether it increases my efficiency. Does it make this or that function achievable in fewer steps. I've always found that if something can be done from a command line then the command line involves far and away fewer keystrokes and it's simple to write automating scripts. For text preparation and text editing I would miss using it. For layout, yes, I tend to use a graphics interface because that's where the layout gets expressed. Anything I need to respond to like instant messaging has to live in a graphical environment too. I have a single key combination to switch environments instantly.

I'm quite certain I'd lose that minimum-keystroke target if I used a tablet or a Chromebook. Every time I have to cope with Windows Explorer, for example, I wonder why on earth Microsoft took that route. What has a mouse to do with file organizing, for goodness sake?
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

On my iPad, there is a quick key sequence to switch between the GUI and a Bourne shell. I find that to be handy. As I recall, you can do the same thing under the Chromium OS, but not yet with the Chrome OS.
spot

Re: Chromebook and Cloud Computing

Post by spot »

Here we are, if anyone has ever wondered whether thin clients using cloud-based program suites and real-time data updates is a clever idea...
Global Microsoft outage brings down Teams, Office 365 and Outlook

Microsoft says a recent update has affected the processing of authentication requests, making cloud-based services inaccessible

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -and-teams
That's worldwide, as far as I can see. Billions of dollars of lost productivity.

Never ever run programs with no local storage fallback.

Why anyone ever uses 365 baffles me.

Return to “Computers Internet”